Team-BHP - Mahindra Classic 4x4
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra Classic 4x4 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/3034-mahindra-classic-4x4-5.html)

Thanks for the compliments, BDN. Our Jeeps have identical alloy wheels.

However, yours is an after-market CJ340 converted to a Classic, right? Still an extremely well maintained Jeep...looking good!

bdn317 - Thats a fantastic looking Jeep clap:

@GTO:

No sir!! as far as the records go, the RC says mine is a 1996 mahindra classic!! but due to a minor accident, some original parts got damaged badly!! and due to the unavailibility of the original classic accessories, my jeep has lost its originality (only looks)!! But by heart (engine) its still A CLASSIC!!

Sir... i would like to know why u felt its an aftermarket Cj340??? other than the bull bar and the footrest, wat else does my jeep lack?? pls let me know!!

i would also like to know where i can get the original footrest!! is it still available??

the bull bar has been modified by myself for my driving comfort and others safety!!
(now, i can see the edge of the bullbar from my seat!! this helps me to avoid bumping into others!! Have already damaged 2 santro's)

@ BUSA:

thank you sir!! thanks a lot for ur comments!!

Hi BDN,

The reasons I thought your Jeep is a CJ340 and not a Classis:

1. The body side claddings are off a CJ. The Classics are much slimmer.

2. Parts like the steering wheel, seats, rear-view mirrors, side step (to get in the Jeep) are all non-Classic.

3. No towing hook at the front. I dont see windscreen washers either.

4. The Classic didnt have turning lights in the slot below the headlamps. Only a wiremesh to cover the circular holes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 597621)
Hi BDN,

The reasons I thought your Jeep is a CJ340 and not a Classis:

1. The body side claddings are off a CJ. The Classics are much slimmer.

2. Parts like the steering wheel, seats, rear-view mirrors, side step (to get in the Jeep) are all non-Classic.

3. No towing hook at the front. I dont see windscreen washers either.

4. The Classic didnt have turning lights in the slot below the headlamps. Only a wiremesh to cover the circular holes.

ok... sir... since the vehicle was used for over 6 years in an estate, in coorg, it was in a pretty bad state!! actually, i bought this vehicle from the guy who owed my dad some money!! he was not willing to pay up!! we had no other choice but to take the vehicle from him!! it was a good deal cos, wen i saw the RC, the vehicle was a 96' classic!! i was searching for a classic from a long long time!! (nearly 2 yrs) some parts he had replaced... (seats, rear view mirrors, turning lights in the slot)

The body side claddings and side step were done by me!! i didnt get the original classic parts as its no longer available here... if u do know some places wer its still available, pls let me know!! it would be a great favour!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 38239)
hey GTO,

i've got an aim to buy two automobile in life

1. Classic, OF COURSE
2. Yamaha VMAX 1200

(the latter i've ridden it....and one of the very few to be able to engage the main stand)!!!

Ofcourse not to mention the SWIFT diesel VDi and the FIAT 1100D..and a Maruti suzuki Gypsy for the 08 Raid de himalaya..right nitrous?

well!! I know bdn317 and we are buddies from the same town. Needless to say his classic is one of the best ones in Mangalore (There aren't many though). Its kept spotlessly clean, a chick magnet and very well maintained. I have never ever come across a jeep or a jeep/classic as beautiful as his.

Mods: This will look like a very personal note in a very professional community. Sorry!

This is so far the best review i have read in my life. Actually GTO bro (out of respect, sir comes no where next to bro!) wrote it out so well that i asked my dad of why he dint gift me a classic back in my 1st year of college, i asked myself why i dint have a very personal affection with my 1st car, santro, it did take me places, it did give me valuable lessons but i want a new car more than anything.

GTO took this review very personal. I loved this review because it was straight from the heart.

I wish i get a second hand classic and im driving up to bombay for the restoration work.

PS: And i will sure take a bumper picture of the classic with a t-bhp bumper sticker next to my dads mercedes! ;)

Thanks for reading my review and the note of appreciation! I hope you find a restorable Classic soon.

Would love to get my hands on a classic; amazing review buddy. Any help you can offer on where I could source a classic from would be much appreciated. Also, what are your thoughts on putting a higher horse power engine in the classic; worth it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 38208)
I think these photos speak more for the Jeep than my entire 1500 word review.

Enjoy

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by sufisaif (Post 1304522)
Any help you can offer on where I could source a classic from would be much appreciated.

The Classic had a total production run only in the 4 digits, most of which are now off the road (as in junk, not offroading :D). You'd be hard-pressed to find a Classic in good shape. There are only a handful, I doubt these owners would want to sell. My suggestion : don't bother about the condition. Buy her anyways and restore completely.

Quote:

Also, what are your thoughts on putting a higher horse power engine in the classic; worth it?
Related thread

Man those pictures are so macho.Very much inspiring for new ones.

I have an option to buy a fairly averagely maintained 1999 red classic. The asking price is 2.5lakhs. I still need to inspect her, but recent pics look good. Number of owners is three currently though.

What would be a good price to offer? I'm either looking for this or a gyspy and want to redo up the car full and slowly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1598204)
The asking price is 2.5lakhs.

The Classic is slowly losing value in the market after hitting 4-5 lakhs. Blame it on the new found love for Gypsies and army 550s.

Host the pictures on here and we can all give our comments.

If you want to take it offroad, dont bother about cosmetics. See that the engine, gearbox and the chassis are in fine nick. Everything else can be set right. Not that the engine and gearbox aren't repairable but then you might find yourself spending your weekends in the garage.

Biggest cost would be tyres, see if they are good.

Guys, found this article (Car & Bike August 1996) while searching through my old Magazine Collection