Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 15:29   #1

42K ownership report of 2004 Versa.

Hi all,
I guess, this is the first report for Maruti Versa. Haven't seen much about this model in the forum. Infact haven't seen much in the road too.

I decided to buy versa for two obvious reasons,
1. Big family
2. Not so deep pocket.

After narrowed down which car and model to buy, I had to convince each and everyone of my family member that what I'm doing is right. They didnt like the appearance first, later they've got used to it and now enjoying the comfort it gives.

I thought of having this for couple of years before I move to some attractive one. Now I really dont feel like parting him as he has become one of my family member.

I've driven this vehicle mostly in highways and cruise at 80Kmph. I get approx. 14 kmpl(Not bad). In the past 4 years, my car never gave me any serious trouble and not even once left me stranded in roads for help.

It's not Innova or Tavera, so you should not have similar benchmarks for comparison, but for such a low price, Versa is a gift.

Very spacious, decent performance, Good mileage. What else you want in a family car?

So in just a line to say about my ownership,
"I'm really proud of what I own"
Old 14th April 2008, 16:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

I am also a big fan of the Versa.
How about some pic'.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:14   #3
BHPian

A bit more detailed review about the running, maintainence and over all feel will be appreciated.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:23   #4
BHPian

@rajagopalganj: The Versa is quite an underperformer from the Maruti Stable. Not sure what happened, though it looks like a good deal.
Would be great to have some kind of a detailed ownership experience.

What is typically the FE and how is the stability on Highways?
Old 14th April 2008, 23:10   #5
BANNED

wow seems this is the first ever ownership experience of versa in team bhp.......
Old 15th April 2008, 00:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very nice thread. There are hardly any versa owners/fans in teambhp
Old 15th April 2008, 01:29   #7
BHPian

Versa DX2

I had a Maruti Versa DX2 between 2003 and 2006. Did about 45,000 kilometers before selling it.

Reason for selling: Started employing a chauffeur and the middle row seating was not exactly comfortable. Till then only the kids used to sit on a regular basis and friends and extended family membes only very rarely. They never complained - the kids because they were having fun and the rest possibly out of politeness or because they had to endure it only on a temporary basis. Never felt bold enough to sit in the front passenger seat when being chauffeured as it felt very unsafe due to the short bonnet (which incidentally does not hold the engine!) inspite of Marutis crumple zones etc.

The missus also enjoyed driving it due to the excellent visibility, ease of parking and the enormous storage when the 3rd row was folded up.

Enjoyed every moment of owning it! I may have kept using a Versa if I had purchased the SDX (am not too sure about the code) variant with bucket seats in the middle row - a choice I did not make because at the time of purchase I never thought I would use the services of a chauffeur!
Old 17th April 2008, 09:05   #8
BHPian

I am considering this vehicle for purchasing. Some of my friends are skeptical about the resale value of this vehicle in case you need to sell in future. Can someone throw some light on the resale value of the Versa.
Old 17th April 2008, 17:15   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How come no comments on the ride quality? That was one major deterrent of the Versa.
Old 17th April 2008, 17:58   #10
BANNED

Is versa still available..i thought it is phased out ...
Old 18th April 2008, 00:42   #11
BHPian

Versa is still available. But if you enter the showroom and ask for Versa, the sales people look at you with surprise in their eyes. (maybe they cannot believe that someone is interested in buying this model).

You will not find this on display and vague replies are given if you ask for test drive. You also have to pay 100% of the money to book the vehicle and wait for 20 days!
Old 18th April 2008, 13:41   #12
naj
BHPian

Good Day to Tbhp members.

I had a versa Dx single AC from 2003 to 2004.But later sold it for a Ikon 1.6.

As far as owner ship experience goes,the Versa is a hassle free vehicle.Even in 2003 a paid service with oil change,filters cost me only Rs 600.spares are very cheap and there are absolutely no mechanical/electrical and ownership problems.A good vehicle to own.But it is not a perfect van.
As far as safety is concerned ,it does not feel unsafe .In fact the highish position is very commanding and inspires confidence.
here as some pros and cons-
pros-
-Utterly reliable.
-great flexibility as far as seating is concerned.One can turn ,fold,half fold any seat and create space on demand.
-For the price one is paying ,the deal is a steal.
- good storage underneath the middle seat .
-third (last row) seat can be double folded and can take in a full size washing machine.create more space by folding the second row.
_Turning circle small ,nimble in city.
-adequate power.
-great head room .A 5 feet high person can almost stand in the middle row portion.

cons-
- very bouncy when not loaded.Have to adjust the tyre pr depending upon loading conditions.Not the versa has LCV tyres as stock.
-When cruising ,windows rolled up with the AC on one can hear a engine hum or a whine which can be irritating to some.I found it quite macho.
-getting inside especially middle row and third row is troublesome as one has to literally climb up.A foot board must.
-cramped,in 2 and 3rd row for people above hight 5'5".
-Steering lacs feed back,vague .Friends who took the vehicle for a spin said that the chassis doesnt feel to be allgned to the centre.worried took the versa to the service station got all the wheels aligned ,carried all he checks .and found nothing wrong.The service engr said it is inherent to this vehicle and all feel the same.
-co drivers seat is fixed -cannot be moved forwards or backwards .
-Ac takes time to cool the cabin.

-struggles up the inclines when loaded but is a fantastic cruiser.Handles well for its size and proportions.
-Changing a flat tyre is a PAIN especially while fitting the wheel back in the stepney frame where you have to lift the whole tyre and the frame is fitted to the underside of the under body.
-Very poor resale value.

But over and above its a good car to own.Ask the ones who have owned it like me.You find them regretting for having sold one.And remember one needs real guts to buy a versa.Its a love affair ...
My family took a mourn Vrath for a month when i brought one and then when I sold it -Again mourn vrath for 2 months.
Thanks
Old 18th April 2008, 16:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
@rajagopalganj:
What is typically the FE and how is the stability on Highways?
Bcoz of it's height relatively narrow base, one would feel it's bit unstable. If you have load on top of the vehicle, It's better to avoid sharp turns in high speed.
BTW, what is FE? I'm new to all these terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
Is versa still available..i thought it is phased out ...
Yep available. but in showrooms it gets stepmother treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I am considering this vehicle for purchasing. Some of my friends are skeptical about the resale value of this vehicle in case you need to sell in future. Can someone throw some light on the resale value of the Versa.
Atleast in chennai, the resale value is quite ok. Not sure in bangalore, but In mumbai, resale value comes down by 30-50K.
Why dont you look at some used car showrooms for clear picture. U might get some good cars too there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Good Day to Tbhp members.
And remember one needs real guts to buy a versa.Its a love affair ...
My family took a mourn Vrath for a month when i brought one and then when I sold it -Again mourn vrath for 2 months.
Thanks
Same with my family too. They used to call it as a ugly duckling
and
now my santro has become a big motorbike.
Old 20th April 2008, 05:32   #14
BHPian

Versa resale value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I had a Maruti Versa DX2 between 2003 and 2006. Did about 45,000 kilometers before selling it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Sold mine for 3 Lakhs. Felt it was a good deal.

Additional fitments were a 'basic' Pioneer FM/AM radio and CD/ MP3 player with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, Nippon remote/ security locking system and Garware sunfilm. Teflon coating and underbody anti-rust treatment had also been done.

Vehicle was in 'excellent' condition with regular services, had no glitches and had only one obviously visible dent (easily repairable according to the satisfied buyer) at the time of resale. The 4th year extended warranty was still valid.
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The "Versatile" Versa

Agree with all the points made by all my friends on T-Bhp(Murugan,Rajagopalan,@naj)

My Versa DX has been with me since July 2004(got it at 20000 kms) and fulfilled all my requirements:
a) approx 4lakhs b) tall on stance for a good view of the road c) easily manouverable d) proven on mechanicals e) easy to drive in city f) good on luggage carrying abilities g) something my wife could also drive.

PROS:
1.The seating is versatile - fold the middle seat and you have a dining table --or a place where you can rest your legs while sitting in the rear seat.No other vehicle offers this.
2.extremely low on maintenance.In the 25000 kms that I have used this I have spent on
  • alignment and balancing every 5000 kms(@Rs.500 each time)
  • two waterwashes per year(Rs.400),
  • two engine oil changes(Rs.700each)
  • one gearbox oil change(Rs.500)
  • throttle body cleaning once(Rs.150)
  • coolant change(once) Rs.350
  • left front strut kit(rubber only) - Rs.150
  • (Do the routine maintenance of cleaning spark plugs, air filter ,electrolyte top up,water top up etc. myself)
3.extremely good at carrying load - have shifted house twice and more than half my baggage was shifted in the car
4.have hauled ten adults and two kids one rainy night with a/c on ;effortless driving with engine showing no strain(even on inclines)
5.extremely good manouvering in city - courtesy good gear ratios, flat body sides,optimum width, high seating,short bonnet
6. a boon in rain especially with its good ground clearance
7.Use Speed only and get 13.5 kms/lit in city with A/C on ; figure touches 16 kms/lit on highway.Have just added NULON with the last oil change

CONS:

1.POOR headlights --a rounded multireflector light is ideal.(have added 90/100 halogens to get rid of this issue)
2.BUMPY RIDE - when the vehicle is unladen.
3.uneven tyre wear even with best of care..still 43000 kms on stock is not too bad

ADD ONS:
  • Double Din CD/Cassette player
  • amp and a subwoofer(both under the center seat);music sounds good since then
  • spoiler with extra stop light
  • wheel discs(KT)
  • Fucot anti-corrosion underbody coat
  • center seat jacked up by 1.5inches for better ergonomics
  • steering wheel and removable portions of the dash converted into ivory shade
As my friends said,it takes a lot of guts to buy this.....but THIS VEHICLE can be appreciated only by those who spot the gem hidden within.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks