Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review

It is going to be a long one so please have patience. I’ve been reading a lot of reviews on this site and now would like to put in my own ownership experience of the Tata Indigo LS, TDI engine, 2005 Model. I have been driving Tata Car since the year 2001 that was an Indica V2 DLS, 2001 Model. I drove that car for 4 years and nearly 1.25 Lac Kms without a single problem.

Then it was time to upgrade to a sedan and I began my research and finally zeroed in on Indigo. I was really happy to upgrade to a sedan. Took the delivery in the month of July 2005. The buying process was quite simple the Sales Representative from Autolinks would come down to my office and complete all the formalities, etc.. Then came the delivery day, me and my brother had gone for taking the delivery of the vehicle and everything was found in order. We had got Front 2 Power Windows fitted from the Dealer itself and the Central Locking was also from the Dealer.

I was already aware of the ride quality as it was just an Indica with a boot. The main difference was that this was a Turbo Charged Engine and boy was I overwhelmed at this. I travel a lot on highways and during my highway visits in my Indica i had to turn off my AC to increase the speed while overtaking, but now I was going zip-zap-zoom overtaking every vehicle that I could.

But then as they say that all good things must come to an end and it was until my worst nightmare came true in the month of August, 2005 (i.e. exactly 1 month and 5 days) after taking the delivery of the vehicle. I was coming back from Chandigarh with my colleagues and we had stopped just short of Delhi Border to attend to Natures call. When we all sat back and I was just about to start my car, a Maruti 800 came and hit my car from the rear at a speed of approximately 90 KMPH, me and my 2 colleagues had a complete black-out for at least 30 seconds, the person sitting at the rear seat was found lying in the gap between the front two seats. When we recovered from the black-out we realized that we have been hit and I got so furious and got down thinking that today I am going kill the ****** who banged into my new car. The moment I got down and walked upto him I realized that he was an old man with his wife and both of them were not wearing any seat belts and both of them were bleeding profusely from their faces. I stopped an auto passing by and made the couple sit in the auto, paid the auto guy and requested him to take them to a nearby hospital.

After all the commotion ended I looked at my car and tears started rolling down my cheeks, my Indigo had become an Indica. The impact was such that the entire boot had almost vanished and then I looked at the Maruti 800 and realized that the car was a total loss. Then after the ordeal I started my car and wanted to move on and it was then I realized that the rear tyres were jammed. All the iron of the boot had clustered up and clung to my rear tyres. In the meantime, two cops came along and asked that what all had happened. Then one of the cops stayed behind and the other one went on his bike to fetch the mechanics. In the meantime the cop who had stayed behind asked that do you want to file a case and before I could speak anything he said that there would be no use as the vehicle would have to be detained and blah… blah… blah… even I realized that there was no point. The mechanics came and they took out the tyres and had to hammer with full force almost 70 to 80 times to push the metal back on both the sides.

Then finally I thanked the cops, paid the mechanic and started my journey back home. The impact was such that the driver and passenger seat backs were broken and I drove my car like I was sitting on something which doesn’t have a back support and it was tiring. I reached Delhi, dropped my colleagues to their Hotel and went straight to the workshop, my brother was there to pick me up. I went back home told my parents about the ordeal and got treated like a king who has come back home after winning over another country (lol).

Next day when I woke I realised that I had sprained my back, my neck and my left hand. I went back to the workshop to complete the paperwork for Insurance claim. It was then that the workshop guys told me that buddy you were really lucky and had the impact been a little more your diesel tank would have blown up. I guess I was really lucky because it was then I had a look at my car and realized that it is indeed a God’s gift that I am there today.

I have to thank Tata for all the Iron that they put in their cars. Had it been any other vehicle it could have been a lot worse. Anyways the work started and they had to put the rear floor of the car and both the sides had to be cut from the center for the rear doors on both the sides. They had all the materials in their stock except the Rear Floor which was told that it should come in 2 weeks time. It didn’t come after 2 weeks they followed up the works and everything and finally it came after 12 weeks that is almost 3 months. The guys at Repair shop were really nice and helpful. Finally the car got ready and I took the delivery and drove back home. The estimate for repair was close to 1.5 Lacs and I had to shell out approximately 7,500/- from my pocket as my share ( I pity the Insurance Company). The car was running smooth and as good as new (half of it was practically new). Had to take the car back for some rattling noises and those were fixed properly. Then had to take the car back again for the paintjob as the paint had started cracking on the top where they had rewelded the sides.

Now the real ordeal starts, after driving for 2 months I noticed that the tyres had gone completely bald. I took the car to the service station and told them to change the tyres free of cost. The Service Manager had the audacity to tell me that you didn’t get the wheel alignment done. I shot back that 1st the repair work was done in your workshop so it is your duty to do all this and then hand-over the vehicle and I was not told that I have to get the wheel alignment done. He was adamant and said that let me check and later he calls me stating that they had got the wheel alignment done and it is not company’s fault. I got furious, I went to the Service station the same day and asked for the alignment report but they couldn’t provide me because they didn’t have it with them because they had never got it done. I wrote about this matter to their MD, Director and one Gaurav at TATA at their Gurgaon Office. I even wrote to the VP Customer Service at TATA but it all felt on deaf ears. I got the tyres replaced at my own cost and swore that I’ll never go to Autolinks again in my entire life. After that I made their life miserable whoever I knew wanted to buy a TATA car I had suggested them to got to Autolinks and after the final negotiations I would reach there and tell my friends that, why are you buying a Tata car from Autolinks, they are thieves, please do not buy it from Autolinks even if you have to loose on a Discount of Rs. 5000/- because eventually you’ll loose a lot more money if you buy the car from Autolinks and every time the sales guys would say sorry sir for whatever happened with you. People at Autolinks still call me and say sorry, but this time their pleas are falling on deaf ears. My car is now facing a lot of problems the clutch assembly has been replaced thrice under warranty, and numerous jobs have been done under warranty after that accident but still the car doesn’t feel right. In case, of people living in Delhi, I would recommend METRO Automobiles in Okhla as the TASS to go to for their Service. It is a small service station and there you get personalized attention. I was once sitting with owner in his cabin at this Workshop and he said that he would never own a Tata vehicle. I casually asked him, then why did you open this workshop to which he smilingly said that there is a lot of money in opening a TASS.

Now am thinking of upgrading to SAFARI 2.2 EX. I travel a lot on the highways and would never go in for any other Diesel Vehicle except Tata for the safety and comfort that their vehicles provide.

If you guys want I can post some pics as to what a Maruti 800 can do to a Tata Indigo

I am not against the quality of Vehicles from the TATA Stable, in fact i would always go in for a TATA vehicle only (if i have to buy a Diesel) but then again the thought of Not having Professionally run TASS.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2008 at 14:16. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other word processors
Old 19th June 2008, 13:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

My experience and A lot of others- Tata cars are a competent bunch, ruined by bad A.S.S , sadly :(
Old 19th June 2008, 14:10   #3
BHPian

i totally agree with you buddy, had there been more competent people at the A.S.S. for these cars it would have definitely not tarnished their image. But i have heard that they have Professionally trained Engineers for their Safari's at each and every A.S.S. I sincerely hope that it is the case....
Old 20th June 2008, 06:18   #4
BHPian

Please upload some images of the damage due to accident, would like to see what a Maruti 800 can do to a Indigo.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

That sounds like a bad accident. Thank god that you escaped lightly. Thats why all the people sitting in the car should always wear seat belts. You never know what is going to happen.
Old 20th June 2008, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Please upload some images of the damage due to accident, would like to see what a Maruti 800 can do to a Indigo.
Will try to do that ASAP
Old 21st June 2008, 13:46   #7
BHPian

Photos as requested....
Attached Thumbnails
Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image104.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image105.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image106.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image107.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image108.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image109.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image110.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image122.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image125.jpg  

Indigo LS (TDI) - 60000 Kms ownership review-image131.jpg  

Old 21st June 2008, 14:42   #8
TOR
BHPian

wow thats some crash, you are lucky to come out of it unharmed, what happened to the old couple? any follow up?. Regarding the car well the whole chassis has been distorted and i guess you would be better off disposing this one and getting that safari.
Its commendable maybe even a bit unwise to have driven back a car that was this damaged.(guess its the adrenaline!).
Also about the tires going bald it could have been due to the altered suspension geometry rather than lack of alignment.
Old 21st June 2008, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Warrior,

> to put in my own ownership experience of the Tata Indigo LS, TDI engine,
> 2005 Model. I have been driving Tata Car since the year 2001 that was an
> Indica V2 DLS, 2001 Model.

Sorry to hear about the probelms with your Indigo.

Coincidentally, I had an Indica V2 DLE between Feb 2001 and Dec 2004 and completed 65016kms with me. Though a Viva CRDi replaced it for a small length of time, a Marina LS TDi took its place in Oct 2005 and has covered over 42500kms.

Both cars were (and is) trouble free and TATA service in these areas is not bad at all.

Last edited by trrk : 21st June 2008 at 14:57. Reason: grammar
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:34   #10
BHPian

That's one bad crash, can't believe an 800 can do soo much damage to an Indigo, it must be becasue of the speed of the 800 as you have mentioned 90kmph+. You'll are really lucky to be alive.
Best to sell the car and get a new one, if I were you, I would never feel the same about the car, even if it was working perfectly, I believe an impact like this shudders the entire skeleton of the car.
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

It seems you were the first unwilling owner of an Indigo CS thanks to that 800

But I'm wondering what an old man who can't keep his car in control was doing at 90+
Even I was rear ended by a matiz once. Thank god we were wearing seatbelts.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:35   #12
BHPian

glad you are safe man...

guys tell me something, in this scenario, shouyldnt the M800 guys insurance cover pay for the damage?

why should warrior pay and loose NCB?
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
guys tell me something, in this scenario, shouyldnt the M800 guys insurance cover pay for the damage?

why should warrior pay and loose NCB?
@Warrior: Good that you and yoru friends did not have any major problems and were safe during that accident. Fromt he photos, the damage to the car certainly appears to be quite alarming.

As far as your query is concerned, I feel warrior should not have let the M800 people get away from that spot. (But they were bleeding. He had no other choice). But he could have persuaded with them after that. He would have got the complete amount from the old couple as it appears it is not his fault. Not sure from his writing whether did he contact them after accident.

Secondly, I do not think you can claim the insurance for the damages of other car. IMO, the insurance companies will not be so foolish that they will reimburse to the damages of other cars.

Thirdly, warrior did not mention while parking in night, whether he had switched on the hazard lights (blinkers) as our h/ways will not have any light and they M800 guys did not notice the car standing and rammed their car into his.

Last edited by snaronikar : 22nd June 2008 at 14:21.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:19   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thats a nasty whack, the rear bench seems to have nearly become a part of the front seats. I am glad that you and your friends walked away without major injury. If an 800 caused that damage, what was left of it? Were its occupants okay?
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Secondly, I do not think you can claim the insurance for the damages of
> other car. IMO, the insurance companies will not be so foolish that they will
> reimburse to the damages of other cars.

That is what the compulsory third party insurance component is for. But practically it is usually not done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks