Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 13:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
4) Tyres - Have stock Good Year tyres, and on highways especially after you cross 115 kmph, you can feel the loss of grip/vibrations. I therefore do not cross 115 kmph except for short straight stretches. I plan to change the set after about 36,000 kms and go for a wider set of tyres, either 185 or 195.

5) Air Conditioning - I had this problem on the highways especially in the afternoon, when the AC would be ineffective. I posted here and was told it could be the icing issue. Since then on the highway, I switch off the AC, every once a while and the issue has not appeared. I intend to however have the After Sales take a look at it at the next service. The only hitch is that it is not reproducable in city traffic.

6) Build - No issues till date except the AC in point 6. Ah, yes there's one. The cabin light comes on sometimes when I hit a bump or a pothole. But can live with it.
Seeler, good review. good to know that the Palio is keeping you happy. About the minor issues, its better to get them sorted so as to enjoy your car to the fullest. Here is what you could do :-

About the tyres - Get your tyres balanced at a reputed tyre shop. Some Goodyears are prone to balancing issues and its very common to see vibrating issues cropping up in the new Palios due to these tyres.

About the a/c issue - Check if the a/c compressor cuts off automatically on a regular basis. It should cut off for about 20-25 seconds and come back on. If this is not happening, your a/c electronic thermostat requires replacement. It costs about 1500/- or so, is the size of a pen drive and should be available with the dealers. The hitch is, this would require removal of the entire dashboard assembly, which in turn could lead to squeaks and rattles from the dashboard if not fitted properly. Not to mention the heavy labour charges for removal and fitting the dashboard back. The other pocket friendly option would be to place this thermostat behind the instrument cluster. It takes 15 mins to do so and works just fine, as in my case. Do not ignore this a/c issue.

About the in-cabin light - Small niggle actually, get the wiring checked for all the doors including the rear hatch door (assuming the in-cabin light is connected with the rear hatch. It is connected on my S10). Its a loose connection.

Also, try Fortune Powai. Get in touch with Rajendra - 9223373478. These guys do a better job at the moment than anyone else. Good luck with your ride.

Last edited by roms : 18th November 2009 at 14:02.
Old 19th November 2009, 08:47   #17
BHPian

Thanks @Roms - will check out the AC issue. You are right, the a/c compressor does not cut off on regular basis. Will get the thermostat checked as soon as I get a free moment from my work schedule.

The in-cabin light issue is actually the timing relay gone faulty. It was replaced under warranty but is back to its funny ways again.

Some pictures attached.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:28   #18
BHPian

trying again to attach the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-pb220066.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-pb220067.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-pb220068.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-pb220069.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-pb220064.jpg  

Last edited by Seeler_Rebeiro : 19th November 2009 at 09:30.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:53   #19
BHPian

the stock tyres are horrible..if you accelerate hard and there is a trace of rubble on the road, you can feel the car skidding.

Regarding the cabin light, its a wiring issue and can be sorted out in 5 min at a service station - I had my share of that one !
Old 24th November 2009, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Some pics of my beaut - she's served me well for the past 2.5 years, and I've managed to keep her like new except for one small dent on the left rear.

Despite all detractors, I have maintained the racing stripes which definitely do justice to the car !

The car is stock except for the array of 4 xenons, underbody neons, underseat flashers et al - now you know I'm a fan of lighting
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-02112009115.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-02112009114.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 review - EDIT: Now 23,000 kms-02112009112.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 18:43   #21
BHPian

You have managed to keep your Palio scratch free for 2.5 years. Wow. Its a battle to do so in Mumbai. I noticed you have some chrome strips on your front bumper. It looks nice.
Old 26th November 2009, 06:52   #22
BHPian

Jish, vibrations in 1.6 palio is surprising. suggest you do a complete alignment and wheel balancing (if possible rotate) . Try 3rd gear till 80 and then zoom to 130 in 4th gear. A palio 1.6 would normally do it without any fuss ,no vibrations. If vibrations persist you might need to check further with the help of workshop if there are any cracks on the chasis.

Enjoy the 1.6 engine
Old 26th November 2009, 13:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Seeler_Rebeiro:very well maintained. HS no plate added a beauty to the babe.

@Jish: I felt like the silver finish in the seat would fade easily. take care of them.

Personally love the head lamps & front grill shape of new one, hate the MJD grill.
But I wonder why did FIAT give the same old alloys for the face lift version. Putno alloys would be great.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

nice review rebeiro. Hope Fiat does something about the interiors in the new Palio that they should be launching soon.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshbhaskar View Post
Jish, vibrations in 1.6 palio is surprising. suggest you do a complete alignment and wheel balancing (if possible rotate) . Try 3rd gear till 80 and then zoom to 130 in 4th gear. A palio 1.6 would normally do it without any fuss ,no vibrations. If vibrations persist you might need to check further with the help of workshop if there are any cracks on the chasis.

Enjoy the 1.6 engine

Hi rageshbhaskar,

I meant skidding not vibrations...when ur at 4k rpm odd...and hit the brakes on even light gravel....the rear tends to swing out of line.

I had my share of vibrations, before alignment and balancing, but now they've disappeared....and the car is strong till 130 odd....after which judicious use of gears is required to get it towards top speed.

Do any of the owners feel the cabin is rather boomy at certain rpms ? I personally prefer a silent cabin until I hit 3.5-4k...after which the exhaust note is addictive !
Old 26th November 2009, 15:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Do any of the owners feel the cabin is rather boomy at certain rpms ? I personally prefer a silent cabin until I hit 3.5-4k...after which the exhaust note is addictive !
I think there is some amount of engine note, between 1.5 and 3K. I would not call it boomy, but more like formula 1 kind of accelaration note. I kind of like it. Also I noticed that the AC blower and the tyre nosie is quite a lot, more than the engine itself. Softwer compound tyres may help, but I will know only after I change the current set.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:52   #27
BHPian

25,600 kms later and time for a checkup. This time I did it at a local mechanic rather than the service center and i am impressed.
Stuff done
1) Engine oil change - Shell Helix HX5 15W40 API SL - Rs 900 for 4 litre can. No flush was used and the mechanic knew it was not required but service centers push for it.
2) Oil filter - Rs 150
3) Air filter - Rs 100
4) Coolant - I was shocked when he told me that the coolant is almost water. He said maybe the service centers were topping up with water rather than the concentrate. Anyways, Rs150 for 1 litre and done in front of my eyes.
5) Battery - Again, seems to be an issue with the earlier service center. 2 of the 6 cells did not have water and the levels in the remaining 4 were down. Topped up. Cost Rs 20.
6) Checked fuel filter - OK
7) Rotated tires - Damn lucky, no alignment required.

Total labour for the above = Rs 150

However this morning, my logo (rear) was stolen from my car in the building stilt parking. Mine together with Linea ,Chevy, Honda ...gone. Maruti cars were safe. Called Concorde Worli. Replacement costs Rs1000 ... Thinking of putting a kind of a refrigerator sticker in its place like "Any closer and you will have to marry me". Wife is not going along with my brilliant idea.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good you found a competent mechanic to take care of your palio. Make sure you are with the car when she is getting her service done.

Loved those racing stickers on the black car. They are placed superbly.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Did they siphon out the old coolant or is there an outlet to drain old coolant ?

and about logo I think I got a quote of Rs.400 from Concorde here in Chennai
Old 28th January 2010, 18:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Did they siphon out the old coolant or is there an outlet to drain old coolant ?

and about logo I think I got a quote of Rs.400 from Concorde here in Chennai
They siphoned out the old coolant, as much as they could, with the engine shut. Then they ran the engine in idle for a minute, so that what is there in the radiator tubes also comes out.
Hmmm... 400Rs ... is that the blue Palio Stile Logo or the Red one for the MJD ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks