Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 12:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
My apologies for this late, late response: as you know, I'm new to this list, less than 30 messages old.

There must be something seriously wrong.

I used to get upwards of 8 km/litre in the city - granted, Ludhiana city traffic doesn't remotely compare to Bombay - and much more in highway driving, close to 12 when I was loafing along, and still a tad above 10 with a heavier foot. It's very comfortable to go along at around 120 in it, so I never really bothered to push it beyond on a sustained basis.

Maybe you need to get someone to take a good look at it; the figures just don't seem right. Who? I really don't know; the authorised service stations are so outstandingly bad that I hesitate to even say that they might do anything positive.

Again, this view is of Dada Motors and the other Ludhiana dealer - forget his name.

bonobashi
Hi,

I agree to what you say, but, was your car running on LPG, for the figures you quoted? If yes, then thats pretty neat.

Again, Bombay traffic is much worse than what you face there. So the car is usually just doing 1st and 2 nd gears in the city at peak hours.

Need to get the car serviced though.
Old 27th October 2008, 20:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Hi,

I agree to what you say, but, was your car running on LPG, for the figures you quoted? If yes, then thats pretty neat.

Again, Bombay traffic is much worse than what you face there. So the car is usually just doing 1st and 2 nd gears in the city at peak hours.

Need to get the car serviced though.
No, petrol. I'd never convert to LPG except for a specific, just-for-commute vehicle. For instance, my father's intended Maruti 800 replacement, which I hope can be a Wagon R Duo.

Your point about Bombay traffic is well taken; it would definitely have its effect.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:54   #18
BHPian

9 clicks away from the 50000 kms mark. Updated review coming up in a few days.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:31   #19
BHPian

You car reminds of my green one. But it is not clicking kms as fast as yours, since I dont have it with me. Looking forward to your review
Old 13th January 2010, 14:46   #20
BHPian

50000 kms review - Part 1

Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio-50k.jpg

And 50,000 kms are here.

I should have written this review 3 weeks back, but the last week of December was insanely busy with office work, and in the New Year I was terribly lazy to write this.

Today I am in no mood to work. So here I am, on my office desk, typing away to glory.

The ride from the 40k mark to 50k has been a bit slow. A prime reason for this is the disconnection of the LPG kit (Yes, now I am a pure Petrol Head.) and all roadtrips being done courtesy SWIFT VDi.

December 2008

On a cold December morning I was headed to Pune for a puja. It was mandatory that I get there by 8.30am as I was supposed to be an integral part of it. So I start at 5am, headed towards Bandra to pick up a friend. And then, a kilometer away from my house the car comes to a dead halt. No, the car just won't start. So I am left stranded on a dark, cold December morning in the middle of the road, with no help in sight and the clock ticking.

I look around and see an auto. I stop him and get him to push the car to the side of the road. I can estimate the effort required to push the 1 tonne Palio by the disgusted look on his face. I write a quick note saying "Car Broken Down, do not tow", stick it on the inside of the windshield and leave. I am a bit worried about leaving the car there, but I know its a safe neighbourhood.

My only worry is "will they tow it away?"

Before this starts sounding like a mini travelogue, I'll sum the story up. I take the auto to the station, take the train to reach my friends house, take his car and leave for Pune. 12 hours later we are returning back home, and the closer we get to Bombay, my only thought is "Is the car still there?"

I reach the spot where I had left my car, and sigh in relief with the sight of it still standing where it was left, untouched and unharmed. The following day I get my mechanic there, and he does something to fire her up. It starts and we take it to the garage where it is put under scrutiny.

A day later my mechanic calls, he says the LPG kit has done some damage. It's repairable he says, but a bit expensive. Anything for the car I say and give him the go ahead to start work. A blown gasket, partly functioning cylinder, screwed LPG connection, hole in my pocket and a week later the car is up and running. The gasket has been changed, cylinder is got to 100% functioning again and the LPG connection totally removed.

January 2009

The Palio 1.2 is back on Petrol Power. And I am just beginning to enjoy it.

[contd]
Old 13th January 2010, 16:21   #21
BHPian

50000 kms review - Part 2

Part 2

I'll be honest and admit it. I am a Palio fanboy, and with each passing day I like it even more. Sure there are times when I drive other cars like the Swift VDi, Scorpio, etc and wish the Palio had so much power, or wish it gave more mileage and went more kms in lesser rupees, but I know thats wishful thinking.

The Palio (1.2) is not the fastest off the line, heck sometimes its not even fast, nor is it the most fuel efficient, the interiors seem outdated in comparison to what's available in the market, it has no ABS or Airbags, no tachometer or digital odometer, nor the trinketry that comes in modern day hatches. Yet, every single day when I park it and go home, I turn around and give it one glance. And there it is standing, calm and collected, it's fern green colour shining under the street lights, ready for another days work.

This car has character and a soul that keeps tugging at your heart.

Over the past 10000 kms the car has been subject to its routine services, oil changes and etc. But the exception items in this duration are this:
  1. Upgraded the tyres to Yoko A-drives - The Goodyears were beyond their life. 2 of the 4 GoodYears were as old as 2002.
  2. Got the brake pads changed
  3. Got some minor work on the suspension done
  4. And of course, got the LPG disconnected

The car still drives the way it drove when I bought it. Infact better because now it runs on Petrol. Thanks to the A-Drives the handling has improved significantly and the road noise is gone down considerably and the car remains glued to the road on 100+ speeds and on corners. It's now a magic carpet ride. The doors still shut with a thump!

A couple of things I missed to mention in my 40000 kms review:

I am simply amazed by the efficiency and cooling potential of the Air Con in this car. No matter how hot it is outside, the Air Con chills the cabin in a few minutes. The flip side to this is that you can feel the load fall on the engine as soon as the Air Con is switched on.

Secondly, this car has miserable outside Rear view mirrors. No, they are stunning to look at and fit the scheme of things in the entire car design, but offer very little when you are actually using them.

Other items:

Mileage

With the car back on petrol I get a mileage of 8-9 in the city (90% AC, 50% Bumper to Bumper)

On the highways it manages a respectable 13-14 kmpl (80% AC), which I am sure can go up if I stop my spirited highway runs. I love the growl it makes on higher RPM's

I am also lugging around a quarter filled LPG tank in the boot. I am sure the FE will improve if I get rid of it completely.

Body work and Paint

I live in Mumbai and my car is parked on a busy street. It drives through traffic in Sion, Dharavi, Ghodbunder Road, western Express highway, etc. So to expect it to be scratch free, is like expecting the saas-bahu serials to end, forever. It ain't going to happen.

I have my share of scratches and small dents on the car. But thats the price you pay for living in this maddening, overpopulated city.

Now the eternal question

Am I happy with the car?
Ans: Hell yes. It does the job it's supposed to do and doesn't cost too much to maintain. Though I wish it drank less fuel.

Would i recommend it to anyone buying it?
Ans: If its a neatly maintained one, Why not?

Final Chapter

With the spurt of new hatch backs at the Auto Expo, I am tempted to get one for myself (especially the Beat in the green colour). Or when I read the fantastic travelogues to Ladakh and Kashmir, I am tempted to buy a Safari and escape the madness of the city. But then reality strikes, I have other priorities right now. The new car can wait.

Until then, The Palio is a loyal companion.

PS - Some nut job stole the FIAT logo...

Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio-pal-front.jpg
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 16:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great write up Iceman and welcome to the stolen logos club

Also its funny that the a/c puts a load on the engine. On my car theres no difference in power with the a/c on or off unless you are more sensitive than I am

Are those the A-Drives in the last photo? Otherwise please post a pic of that too
Old 13th January 2010, 17:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Iceman, congrats on your happy ownership. I am also a hardcore Palio fan with 2004 F.Red 1.2 Palio NV Sport, it never let me down. It has done just 35K and gives an FE of 10kmpl in city and 14kmpl in long drives with AC. Sometimes 9kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore, thats the only worry. My family simply loves this car.

For the price we get in in 2nd market, its a gem. Its beter to choose 1.6 versions if one have a rush for power.
Old 14th January 2010, 13:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Great write up Iceman and welcome to the stolen logos club

Also its funny that the a/c puts a load on the engine. On my car theres no difference in power with the a/c on or off unless you are more sensitive than I am

Are those the A-Drives in the last photo? Otherwise please post a pic of that too
It's a pain to see the car without a logo each morning. Will try to get one from the Chor Bazaar.

The load on the engine from the AC is not immense, but you can feel it slightly.

yup, they are the A-Drives. I don't have pictures of the tyres yet. Will try to post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
@Iceman, congrats on your happy ownership. I am also a hardcore Palio fan with 2004 F.Red 1.2 Palio NV Sport, it never let me down. It has done just 35K and gives an FE of 10kmpl in city and 14kmpl in long drives with AC. Sometimes 9kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore, thats the only worry. My family simply loves this car.

For the price we get in in 2nd market, its a gem. Its beter to choose 1.6 versions if one have a rush for power.
Thanks. I too get the idea sometimes to swap this for a 1.6. But a neatly maintained 1.6 is hard to come by.
Old 15th January 2010, 08:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

great review.
a palio 1.2nv sport owner here and i can definitely say that im literally going to keep my palio for ever.
I dont know how but this version of the palio doesnt seem to age the design still looks fresh compared to the new cars.

will be writting a review for my car pretty soon.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

nice write up there. My car is nearing 80000 kms. Will update my thread about the same
Old 15th January 2010, 14:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
great review.
a palio 1.2nv sport owner here and i can definitely say that im literally going to keep my palio for ever.
I dont know how but this version of the palio doesnt seem to age the design still looks fresh compared to the new cars.

will be writting a review for my car pretty soon.
Mine is a pre NV version. And I agree, it doesn't seem to age very fast. It takes it's time. Like a fine wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
nice write up there. My car is nearing 80000 kms. Will update my thread about the same
WOW 80000 kms. I am looking forward to this one.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Palio is THE car. no matter new cars have come like Swift, i20 etc for me still Palio is the real looker. Some times i tend to like Palio more than Punto

I have driven my cousines pre-NV 1.2L. feels tad underpowered due to its weight. anyways 1.6 will do justice for that. Blame FIAT's bad A.S.S which doomed the marvelous car PALIO :(
Old 19th January 2010, 11:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'l soon write a50K review, my car has run 48K now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Palio is THE car. no matter new cars have come like Swift, i20 etc for me still Palio is the real looker. Some times i tend to like Palio more than Punto
Me too like Palio han Punto in some aspects.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:49   #30
BHPian

Thats a neat review there !! I love the "saas bahu" part of it

My palio is now 53K old, and still everyday it garners my attention when i reach home from office... It just refuses to age, looks as good as any other car now on sale!!

So what was the problem with LPG ? Why did you have to remove it ? I am curious because, even I have bought the palio with LPG, and I am now making it closed loop by adding a lambda system. Is it good to do that or shall i do away with the entire Lpg system itself?

I agree with you on A drives.. those are the best shoes a palio can get in economy budget. I run my palio on Yoko A Drive 185/60 14inch alloys, and looks like a killer, handles like a knife !! At 120kmph, its so stable and silent that all the co-passengers sleep, while i am immersed in the 4 wheeled nirvana

plz answer my questions on lpg with ur palio buddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks