Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:01   #946
Senior - BHPian

Can you confirm this

TSK,

Post the service light issue( 80kms test ) fix, have you observed any change in the Engine RPM when you coast ?

In my case, I feel that before the Injector change, the engine used to drop speed very fast, whereas now it takes much longer ( almost twice ) to reach below 1300rpm.

Also in cold starts in the morning, the engine noise has considerably reduced, engine feels smoother.

thanks
Srini
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:19   #947
Team-BHP Support

Nope, everything is same. Smoothness was never an issue, and still isn't, thankfully
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:55   #948
Team-BHP Support

Check coolant level by opening the cap (when cold) this time just to rule out a faulty cap.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:46   #949
BHPian

HI Tanveer,

Any updates on this? Howz the beast running now?
The remaining issues (the sound from front suspension etc) hopefully are gone now, or they are still there?

Cheers
Old 27th March 2009, 16:14   #950
Team-BHP Support

Suspension sound comes very occaisonally, some more driving will let me know.
Cold start still means grr grr grr, that will be checked up at service.
Radiator is full of water, so leak went away after replacing radiator.
Old 27th March 2009, 16:18   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...Radiator is full of water, so leak went away after replacing radiator.
Had any luck in trying to find out what caused this leak in the first place? And how is the pipe left now? Thru the clip - isn't it?
Old 27th March 2009, 16:46   #952
Team-BHP Support

Pipe is out of the clip. I think I will let it be so.
As for what caused the leak, it was due to some joint issue near the battery, detail I will get to know once I visit workshop for 15K service
Old 27th March 2009, 17:20   #953
BHPian

Tanveer, are you going to take it for another hill-cruise before 15K service?
Old 27th March 2009, 17:54   #954
BHPian

Actually, the radiator can leak at any point during your ownership, since they are all pressurised these days... just like you can have it in refrigerators... though not very commonly heard. I am of the opinion that it is one off case with Tanveer.

When I banged my Alto behind another Alto... the lady driving in front did some hard (read panic) braking suddenly on the right most lane on Pune-Bangalore highway .. the speed will be around 70 when I applied the brakes, their were some tyre marks on the road.. and a little skdding of the rear wheels, kind a fishtailing... my bonet was looking like a 'Papad' right front panel bent, came inside, so right door would not open, right headlight assembly gone, the bumper came inside and was almost toughing the engine bay... it actually has no resistance... it works more like a collapsible plastic. I am not complaining, I knew this is the quality and it is not built for highway driving... but problem was that the AC pipe coming from the radiator and expansion assembly was bent.. and it seemed for a while that the radiator has leaked.. Thankfully no leaks had developed.

But I was told by Maruti that if that was leaked, bill for that itself will be around 16000 (I was under insurance), how much it costs for a Safari?
Old 27th March 2009, 20:29   #955
Senior - BHPian

Thats too bad to hear Shyamtanu

but let me clarify that there is lot of difference in strength of an ALTO's bumper and Safari's.
the one in Safari is pretty strong so minor crash or watever wont be able to trouble anything but the paint of the bumper or maybe pasting of headlight assembly if the impact is on sideways.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:48   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Actually, the radiator can leak at any point during your ownership, since they are all pressurised these days... just like you can have it in refrigerators... though not very commonly heard. I am of the opinion that it is one off case with Tanveer.

When I banged my Alto behind another Alto...
Whoa there!
Tanveer's Safari has never kissed anyone's or anything's behind!

And what a philosophical statement to make about radiators can leak on you at any time! Man, you scare me!

It certainly is NOT the norm!
Old 28th March 2009, 09:57   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit OT on this thread but...The crumple zone design of most modern cars results is what happened to the Alto. This also results in shocks being absorbed. Just yesterday I saw a Alto Indica head on (wish I had my camera) and surprisingly Alto passengers came out better. Indica front left seat guy banged his head on to windscreen (look ma no seat belt!!) and the rear passengers injured themselves hitting the front seats. But this all dependes on angles and velocities and loads of other factors.

Tanveer are you out playing OTR today?
Old 28th March 2009, 14:00   #958
Senior - BHPian

The Safari's front end is very different from the Alto. See the pic below. It was taken when I had removed the grille for wiring the Hellas.
There is a strong steel crossmember that is a welded part of the chassis. This protects the condenser and the radiator in a big way incase of a frontal collision. I think it is quite capabable of taking a hard knock without causing much damage to the Safari. No idea what will happen if a sedan is shunted from the back by a Safari.

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-image043.jpg
Old 28th March 2009, 15:38   #959
Team-BHP Support

From the looks of it, small shunt and you will have broken fan and/or ac radiator. Trust me the bar will bent in case of frontal collusion, i thinks its there to give more rigidity to the chassis frame.
Old 28th March 2009, 17:38   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
From the looks of it, small shunt and you will have broken fan and/or ac radiator. Trust me the bar will bent in case of frontal collusion, i thinks its there to give more rigidity to the chassis frame.
You cant possibly save the radiator in case of a frontal collision in any car. The difference is that some car will have a radiator leak even if they hit a dog and some wont.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks