Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 14:38   #1
BANNED

2.01 Lakh Kms On My M-800 EDIT - Now done 2.25L

Have been using this first ride over 8 yrs day in and day out, 60 kms a day for 350 days a month and one off long trips.

This baby has completed 2.01 lacs kms on the odo today and am i not proud of this baby.

Initially my dad used the car once in a while, after i started my first job in 1999 pestered my dad to let me drive it to work, he simply shrugged it off saying " why should u blow all your earnings on fuel bills, save a penny then you can drive it"

O K took his advice and only got to drive it occasionally to my uncle and aunts house within the city.

In 2001, finally he decides and hands over the car keys to me with the odo reading 32k kms. Whoa... i was damn happy that day, drove it to my office, and i start showing it off to my colleagues. My boss then who used to drive a M-800 is shocked and asked if he was paying me more than what i deserved, i could only grin at that.

The odo immediately raced to to 50 k kms in 2 months period, used the car and the gallons of fuel all over the city. With few extra incentives that i earned started going on long drives with my family of 4(Me my brother, dad and Mom).My younger brother learnt his driving in the same car and as he was still at college was not anyways allowed to drive it out of sight.

2002 the car's odo read 75 k kms, got hold of a good mechanic who still serves all my other cars till date. The car never let us down anytime anywhere. It led us through all paths of life including financial matters, my marriage and further more cars to come.My Beetle arrived home this year. Most of the spares was transported by the M-800, with daily visits to Gujri. this added more miles to the car.

2003 - Driving back from a party one night (i am a teetotaler) in order to avoid the JCB in front of me, i rammed the car over a divider. Luckily nothing happened to me or the 5 occupants of the car. It was 2:30 midnight and luckily no police, got out of the car to check the damage. Shucks.....lower arms bent, bonned crashed, fender out of the car, and the left tyre running at a 40% incline. Tried to start the car, it started, changed the gear and my god! its running normally as if nothing happened. Everyone is shocked to see the car running, although one wheel was bent but still the car was running. With a sigh of relief we reached my office, dropped my car there.

trrinnggg trrinnng. Dad i am not coming home tonight, staying with my friends and will be home by tomorrow afternoon.
Dad asks whats wrong with the car! Could'nt get any words out of my mouth. paused and said nothing dad 2 tyres are flat dont know how.(just lied under my nose)

Next morning come to office pick the car and again drive it 16 kms away to a workshop and anyways did'nt claim insurance fearing my dad, asked him to allocate all guys in the workshop on my car to finish it within a day.

Returned home without the car ,told my dad the car has some problem and have left it for service. 2 days later the car comes out clean with a bill of 20k, 75% of my months earning then went to the workshop bill. Anyways one off experience.

2004- Now my brother also starts driving the car around and we add few more miles on the beloved car. Now the odo read 1.02 lacs kms and still the car running so fine, so silent and with a mileage of 18.50 kmpl. This year nothing tragic happened with the car, i negelected it since by now the Beetle was also being used reguraly by me, the M-800 got some desired rest. Else it was 5 days a week to office, Saturday my brother used it and Sunday our usual visits to our relatives or any temple tucked far away from city.

2005-The car is used continously day in and day out adding more smiles on our faces and more and more miles on the odo.

More to be continued......

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th July 2008 at 14:41.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Nice read, Pavan! Enjoy her for many more (s)miles...
BTW is that a 5-speed 800?
Old 29th July 2008, 15:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice to read the story Pavan
Is your car MPFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
BTW is that a 5-speed 800?
If it's a MPFI n DX, then 5-speed. Only DX used to be with 5 gears,
STD - 4 gears
Carb - 800 only 4 gears
Old 29th July 2008, 16:11   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nice to read the story Pavan
Is your car MPFI?

If it's a MPFI n DX, then 5-speed. Only DX used to be with 5 gears,
STD - 4 gears
Carb - 800 only 4 gears

The car is a 1997 M-800 DX
4 Speed, carburetor based intake, and remained stock till 2008
Attached Thumbnails
2.01 Lakh Kms On My M-800 EDIT - Now done 2.25L-210108_1018.jpg  

Old 29th July 2008, 16:54   #5
BHPian

Very nice Pavan. Dispite all the short comings M 800 is a very reliable car. Mine is 1995 model with over 2.60 on ODO and never left us starnded any where.

By the way dont drive her 350 days a month.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:00   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Very nice Pavan. Dispite all the short comings M 800 is a very reliable car. Mine is 1995 model with over 2.60 on ODO and never left us starnded any where.

By the way dont drive her 350 days a month.

How stupid of me its 350 days a year. Thanks for correcting me dude.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This baby has completed 2.01 lacs kms on the odo today and am i not proud of this baby.
Good stuff man, but, didnt understand why you are not proud of a long-time companion.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 29th July 2008, 17:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I also own a Maruti 800 AC 2003 model. I have not done so much on odo as you did but I am loving this car. Keeping this car and maintaining is cheapest in the world I think. Even I suspect, would nano be so cheap to maintain? Lets see.

I did long drives in my car and it is complete stock till now. Only neccesary items like brake pads, oils etc needs to be replaced during servicing and apart from that nothing.

Congratulations for 2 lakh Kms.

One funny think I must say. This car saving my pocket too as I want to upgrade to bigger car but there is no parking for bigger cars as it fits only 800. So she is not allowing me to upgrade, unless I change my house.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:24   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Good stuff man, but, didnt understand why you are not proud of a long-time companion.

Cheers,
Su-47
I said am i not proud, Yes i am indeed proud of it
Old 29th July 2008, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good review. I fail to understand who wont be proud of M-800 with 2.01 lakhs kms on it. I think you have mis typed.

The reliability is not every car affords to provide.

We have 1992 Maruti 800 now nearing 90K. The problems have started after we have installed CNG. Will be sorted out.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pavan kadam. 2 lac kms is a real record, I must admit. I sold my 800 when it had 80 K on the odo. I was sceptical whether it would take the additional load of an AC that I badly wanted.
Great show, indeed! I have a suggestion on the thread title--you need to add 'kms' into it. I thought it was the price you were talking about!
Old 29th July 2008, 20:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

Cheers,
Su-47
You mis-understood.Re read what he's written.

Great show Pavan.

I had a 7th hand M-800[and though I just about could buy the car the petrol was driving me broke so a Chetak was my primary drive/ride], which I bought at 93K and sold at about 125K. Of course the 93K Km would not have been genuine - I think the odo was reset.

I did however add an AC and needed to do the engine over once.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Nostalgic update of the M800. Now I wonder why M800 is still in production even after 25 years.

No matter how much we talk about the Fiestas, the Balenos, the Safaris etc, M800 has really made a mark of his own in the indian consumers.

Abhi
Old 30th July 2008, 13:21   #14
BANNED

Continued....

2006- The year went ahead with more and more kms getting added to my M-800's odo, This year the car touches 1.25 lac kms... Something makes me happy about it, but deep inside me i was feeling "isn't it too much for the poor car" but since the car never really had any issues from its daily use and abuse, i kept pushing it further. This was the year my car had a first modification, i added a muffler to it and the advent of tubeless tyres. I was damn happy to have something that was rare. Even though i had installed a K&N replacement filter in 2004 for just the heck of it, i dont consider that a serious mod. After all these years, the paint on the car started showing signs of deterioration, inspite of we polishing the car every month, poor guy got some bruises and cuts (Dents) enroute.

Mid of 2006 The Beast-Safari came home since my kid arrived and my brother also felt we need to upgrade.So what do i do, Thought too much about the car and since we were not interested in parting with it, drove it straight to Bimal Automobiles on Whitefield road, since my friend suggested me to the place. The car went inside only for an overcoat paint job, since there were no major work required.

I trusted them to do a good job for the price they quoted (35k) same color. Weeks and weeks of waiting made me irate, i was promised 10 days, but it had already crossed 22 days. Eventhough i used to visit every alternative days. Finally after 25 days of waiting the car comes home.

I must admit they did a fairly good job, but left lot of things unattended, my bumpers were not fit properly, my sunfilm were torn scratched, Upholstery dirty, engine mountings not fit properly ,tyres wrongly put(since it was tubeless, rotations were wrong)all this at an exceeded quote of 30k to 43k. had to shell out that money and took the rather incomplete car delivered.

Next few weeks went to get the car running properly. and again the car was on road doing its daily humdrum.
Attached Thumbnails
2.01 Lakh Kms On My M-800 EDIT - Now done 2.25L-116751.jpg  

2.01 Lakh Kms On My M-800 EDIT - Now done 2.25L-116757.jpg  

2.01 Lakh Kms On My M-800 EDIT - Now done 2.25L-116771.jpg  

Old 30th July 2008, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Taking the car to Bimal was a blunder !! There are a few very good service station which does the same job cheaper and faster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks