Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 11:25   #16
BHPian

Hey. Great report. Excellent writing style.
But just tell me, what do you do for a living? 38,000 km in 1.8 years. Mate is it for work or fun. cheers:
Old 14th August 2008, 11:59   #17
BANNED

Thanks, Country Road and all others for your compliments. That's 38000 km in just over 1.5 years (not 1.8 years).
It is all for pleasure and that pocket burning thing we irresponsbile folks call passion . I do a lot of touring and hate any other means of transport.

On a different note, I thought I drove a lot when I crossed 27000 km in the first year. My service advisor told me that was low for a typical Safari. Apparently, a majority of the Safaris run an average of 35000 - 40000 km in a year.

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 14th August 2008 at 12:12.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very good report. The safari in the beach, nice one. I wonder how did you manage to keep all those figures in mind to put it in writing in here. Good.
Old 14th August 2008, 13:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice photo, Dicor!

The weather seems to have lend a hand. Liked it!

How are things on the maintanence side? Any one-off issues or is it just the regular visits ?
Old 14th August 2008, 14:30   #20
BHPian

the pic is like Bo Derek stepping out of the ocean in the movie 10......me and my wild imagination...I was half expecting the safari to shake of the excess water.....great pic
Old 14th August 2008, 17:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi ! can you shed light on your 4x4 usage over 38000kms ?
Average kms with 4x4 engaged, out of the 38000 covered ?
What was the 4x4 experience and performance like ?
Any tight spots you got stuck in or got out of ?
Any parts replaced under warranty during the period of ownership ?

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:30   #22
BANNED

HappyWheels, unscheduled visits to the TASC for 1. A/C condenser fan 2. Wiring harness (both mentioned in the first post)

jaysmokesleaves, no organized, planned "hard core" offroading yet. A lot of it is done when the opportunity presents itself - slush, muddy inclines, beach sand, sand humps, grassy hills etc. I have no figures to give you, sorry.

Have found the 4x4 performance good as far as I have pushed it. Not gotten stuck so far - but I am also cautious when going off-road. Waiting for the next organized OTR (close to where I am then) to see what this truck can really do.

Will check my service records for the complete list of parts replaced under warranty. IIRC, A/C condenser fan, wiring harness, one front fog lamp and the clutch assembly (because I complained it felt harder than usual).
Old 25th August 2008, 11:57   #23
BANNED

39000 km done - RHS front fog lamp not working.
Another thing I noticed - on the RHS front tyre, the wear on the extreme outer and inner tread is more than that on the other 3 tyres. The tread, otherwise, is as good as new. Any guesses? Will post pictures later. Will anyway report this during the 40000 km service which is about a week away.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

If the wear is exactly the same level in both the edges, then it probably indicates that it has been run in lower air pressure (this tyre could have a weak tube mouth, which is leaking air very gradually, so you might not have noticed the air loss). If the wear is uneven , then could indicate wheel alignment issues.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th August 2008 at 17:40.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:47   #25
BANNED

The wear is even on both edges. I check air every week without fail and none of the tyres has ever displayed anything more than 1 psi less than the mandated. Depending on the bunk, all the tyres show 32 / 35 or 31 / 34 when I drive in. I ask for the pressures to be set at 32 F / 35 R.

A picture (which I will take in bright light) will explain better.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Have you taken the pic, dicorex4x4 ?
If the air pressure has been checked always correctly, then it must be some suspension related issue : maybe more load is being forced on the front right tyre?
Old 17th September 2008, 09:54   #27
BANNED

40K service done yesterday. My only complaint was the unusual front RHS tyre wear combined with a pull to the right when the steering wheel is released on a straight road. The front RHS tyre wear is under observation - the good folks at the TASC checked everything - suspension, idler arm, all bearings.

Alignment was done first thing in the morning as the vehicle went in. After a test drive, the alignment was checked and found different. Everything was re-checked, adjusted and I have been advised to bring it back after 500 km for a check. They will "adjust the shims" at that point if the problem persists.

I don't fully understand the words within quotes and will read up on the same. I found SUV's post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tml#post125381 (tata safari suspension issue?)
Quote:
The Safari does not have a Camber adjustment, Only Toe which can be adjusted.

The Camber can be adjusted by inserting Shim's between the Top Plate housing.
Might be the 255's have had some affect on the Camber as well.

From My Experience The Bridgestones dont perform on a Safari and tend to have these issues. I wonder why though ... could never figure out ... .i had them i my earlier Safari and did have them in the current one (Read New) as well ( now am running Yokohama Geolander AT+II :-) handles like a dream).
Blue_Thunder, will take a picture ASAP and post, sorry for the delay.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:26   #28
BANNED

This is how the front left tyre looks at 40,000 km

January 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 Running Report-flhs-tyre.jpg

compared to the front right tyre

January 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 Running Report-frhs-tyre.jpg
Old 18th September 2008, 18:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi dicorex4x4,

> This is how the front left tyre looks at 40,000 km

Wow! Your left tyre looks as if it is new. The Safari suspension has improved from the 1999 Safari days.

> compared to the front right tyre

Definitely something is the matter with the right side. Could be a bearing or even could be the tyre itself?
Old 18th September 2008, 18:18   #30
BANNED

Thanks trrk, I am very strict about tyre pressure. I have this habit of walking around the vehicle looking at each tyre before getting in.

Will post pictures of the rear tyres as well - they look like the front left. The front right was the same until very recently - around the 39000 km mark. You can see that while the wear on the FRHS is more than the FLHS, the tread is still good except for the outer edges.

Will also post pictures from different angles, probably tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks