Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 13:35   #121
BANNED

Yes, those are the TCIC rear reflectors - INR 59 a piece at Prerana OMR Bangalore. Always liked them on the Safari.

Surprising how that camera housing cover continues to be called the tow-hook cover (by the TASC) given that the rear tow-hook is underneath the rear foot-step.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:26   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
1. One of the turbo hoses seems to have developed a leak. The turbo whistle is now LOUD. This is recent - before I took it off the road, however.
Off went the truck to Prerana on Tuesday morning:

The turbo seemed to have developed some problem for the whistle to be that loud - prabhuav, Steeroid, A S H V I N, iceman91 & Jaggu have heard it.

Extended warranty - new turbo - absolutely no charge - truck back in action yesterday evening. No questions asked - the truck has been through every recommended service at a TASC (Concorde / Prerana).

Front left tie rod was also changed - another broken bush thanks to all the abuse the truck has been put through. What I've discovered is that Prerana has not yet mastered the art of Safari suspension (thanks prabhuav for the phrase) - they keep trying shim adjustment even though they had been specifically instructed to look at the tie-rod during the 65K service. This is the only area that Prerana needs to improve.

I've now got 19 months and 83,000 km left to figure out what else can go wrong
Old 19th June 2009, 10:49   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprising how that camera housing cover continues to be called the tow-hook cover (by the TASC) given that the rear tow-hook is underneath the rear foot-step.
I was referring to the 4x4 prof tow hook,

January 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 Running Report-okrrh005.jpg

You had that option earlier but not now.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:34   #124
BANNED

The turbo was replaced on June 18th at ~67000 km on the odo. 3K km later, everything seems fine. Had this nagging doubt about Shell's fuel quality in Bangalore and decided to switch back to HP diesel - the engine was a wee bit louder but the exhaust smoke was down! The truck, however, ran quieter at 2500 rpm+ in 5th on the highway with HP diesel. Filled at Shell Chennai to check again - I'm positive that Shell Chennai sells better diesel than Shell Bangalore. The slightly erratic idle on a cold start is present only with Shell diesel in Bangalore.

One of the Geolandars was losing air pretty rapidly compared to the other 3 - popped into Madhu's Langford Road on Saturday and got the leaking valve replaced.

Experimented with 35 psi all around on a recent drive - mixed reactions, the ride is better but the front gets all twitchy. Think I'll stick to 32F / 35R.

Truck goes in for the 70000 km service tomorrow at Prerana OMR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good going Hrishi! How many OWS 360 treatments so far?
Haven't used it again - after the initial 2 cans of OWS 360. Let me finish the 70K km service and then run it on an HP diet for a while. Thinking of the flash lube now rather than the OWS 360.

Last edited by hrag : 16th July 2009 at 16:41.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:37   #125
Senior - BHPian

Good going Hrishi! How many OWS 360 treatments so far?
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:02   #126
BANNED

Truck goes in for the 75K service this morning at Prerana OMR Bangalore. I have sworn off Shell diesel - the engine feels happier on HP ordinary diesel - no more erratic idling, lower exhaust smoke etc.

Picked up a couple of cans of OWS 360 (one for each vehicle) plus a can of Flash Lube - will update with feedback after a 1500 km round trip planned starting Thursday morning.
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:57   #127
BANNED

Got the truck back last evening. The brake fluid / handbrake warning lamp on the dashboard had been glowing intermittently for a while, sometimes permanently on. Turned out that the front disc brake pads needed replacement. Pads were changed last at the 47K mark prior to the GQ drive in December 2008. The air filter was also changed.

Had filled the diesel tank just before leaving it off for service - filled in one can of OWS 360 after I got it back. All set to cross states in a day tomorrow.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:14   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Truck goes in for the 75K service this morning at Prerana OMR Bangalore. I have sworn off Shell diesel - the engine feels happier on HP ordinary diesel - no more erratic idling, lower exhaust smoke etc.
Its been the other way for me. Shell Diesel (Normal) seems to be better for the car. Lesser smoke on hard acceleration and such. Well, which ever works!

Quote:
The brake fluid / handbrake warning lamp on the dashboard had been glowing intermittently for a while, sometimes permanently on. Turned out that the front disc brake pads needed replacement. Pads were changed last at the 47K mark prior to the GQ drive in December 2008.
Hard Driving... Harder Braking! Have a good interstate drive.

Last edited by unni.ak : 23rd September 2009 at 15:17. Reason: Sphelling Mishtake!
Old 27th October 2012, 14:11   #129

Re: January 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 Running Report

Hi Dadu,

Can you tell me where one can find tow hooks for the front and back for safari in Bangalore?

Do let us know.

Best wishes,
Imtiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I was referring to the 4x4 prof tow hook,

Attachment 149545

You had that option earlier but not now.

Most Viewed