Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms

Hello fellow Bhpians, this is the first time I am posting a review of my car.
My car is Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Fida Edition. It is a limited edition which boasts features like classy turn indicators, mp3 player provided by ford, 1.6 engine which in October was only available in SXI version, ford OE alloy wheels, and leather upholstery, and door vinyl as on the SXI, and a exclusive copper rust colour which you might have not seen.
I purchased the car from Shaman Ford, Prabhadevi. The car is November 2007 registered.
Till date since 11months have passed, the car has covered a mileage of 10500 kms.
The third service is due next month.

POSITIVES:
1. The 1.6 Duratec engine offers great drivability. The engine is free revving and very refined all the way till its 6800 rpm. The roar after 3500 rpm is like nirvana to my ears. I even rev the engine when on idle and just love to hear the exhaust.
Once I pushed it in second gear all the way to the redline and saw the car ding about 95-100kmph at 6800 rpm.
2. Handling of the car is just tremendous for its segment. I frequently use the Bombay-Pune expressway and can easily reach speeds up to 180kmph without breaking a sweat thanks to its chilling AC, eager engine and confidence inspiring handling.
3. Ride of the car was the main criteria as the roads in and around Bombay are pathetic and one needs a good comfortable ride which is also provided by the car.
The ride is just about perfect as the suspension is refined and thunks and thuds are kept away from the cabin, the high speed ride is also appreciable.
4. Looks of the car were also important and I found the car to be very classy and compact, I like both the front and the rear looks, the front is enhanced by the dual headlamps and the rear by Merc E- class like tail lamps.
5. Back-seat comfort was also good because of the ride and it will be mainly used by 2 persons which I found to be adequate.
6. Exclusive color: the color is limited and makes the car stand apart from the other noticeable Fiesta’s on the road.
7. Build quality: The Build of the car is very good compared to by brothers Chevrolet Aveo which has started to rattle on potholed roads only covering 14000kms on the odometer.
8. The mileage on the highway is pretty amazing, once I got 17kmpl on my way to shirdi.

NEGATIVES:
  • In Bombay bumper to bumper traffic the mileage I am getting is around 10 to 10.5, that’s it. On the highway the mileage is good but on the city the mileage goes down considerably.
  • Firstly when I filled up the car with petrol it stopped at 44 liters and the DTE showing 675kms. 2nd fill the car the petrol got full at 41 liters and now when I tank up the car the petrol does not go beyond 38 liters and the DTE shows only 357 kms and sometimes even 329 kms when I tank up.
  • Even though the car runs 400kms with ease but the DTE I quite confusing. I wanted to know if other ford fiesta 1.6 users are facing this problem.
There are as such no more negatives I could come across.
I am posting some pics of the car, hope you all like it.
I am a newbie here so please forgive me as I don’t know much.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00176.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00060.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00401.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00110.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00108.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00054.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00366.jpg  

Old 20th October 2008, 18:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice car and good review, FidaFord! I've not seen this colour so far.

As regards FE, I get 10.5 to 12 in Hyderabad, and the variance is due to traffic, AC usage and how heavy-footed I am on the throttle.

DTE shows different readings based on your driving style and the factors I have mentioned above for FE. For instance, I was stuck in very heavy traffic in Hyd on Saturday due to the air show, and it took me 2 hours to cover 12 kms, entirely with AC on. But the DTE figure fell by 30 Kms, though the distance travelled was only 12 kms. Most of the time the car was stationery with AC on.
Got the point?
BTW, how is the Aveo 1.6? It sure looks hot. How does she feel for driving in the city and on the highway?

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th October 2008 at 18:27.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review and very nice car. However if you are driving it at 180kph, I'd suggest you upgrade from stock rubber. Its a recipe for disaster otherwise.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:21   #4
BHPian

Thank you vnabhi and reignofchaos for your appreciation.

Thanks for the information vnabhi as I was confused regarding the behaviour of the DTE. One thing I wanted to know is that once I was running the car till the DTE showing 17kms and then I tanked up, but then too only 40 liters of petrol was filled, even though we shook the car it was of no use, all our efforts became futile.

The Aveo is also a nice car to drive around town and on the contrary gives better mileage i.e 11.5-12.5 kpl compared to my Fiesta, maybe because it is driven more sedately by my father and brother.

The engine on the Aveo feels a lot rough and bulid quality is a disappointment,the handling is also a bit dull, but the overall fell is nice.

Thanks reignofchaos, 180kph was just once to test the cars handling and its capabilities, but after the car reaching 16-18k on the odo I will surely upgrade the tyres and the ice.
Old 20th October 2008, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

nice review. I guess you should not bother about the F.E. Anything above 10 for the power it delivers should be acceptable. Enjoy the drive.
Old 20th October 2008, 22:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
nice review. I guess you should not bother about the F.E. Anything above 10 for the power it delivers should be acceptable. Enjoy the drive.
Hi fidaford, Great color .Never seen this color in Bangalore.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

My responses are in bold font below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
Thank you vnabhi and reignofchaos for your appreciation.

Thanks for the information vnabhi as I was confused regarding the behaviour of the DTE. One thing I wanted to know is that once I was running the car till the DTE showing 17kms and then I tanked up, but then too only 40 liters of petrol was filled, even though we shook the car it was of no use, all our efforts became futile.

This may be realted to your driving in thick traffic for a long time just before tanking up (like the example I gave of heavy traffic).

The Aveo is also a nice car to drive around town and on the contrary gives better mileage i.e 11.5-12.5 kpl compared to my Fiesta, maybe because it is driven more sedately by my father and brother.

Looks likely!

The engine on the Aveo feels a lot rough and bulid quality is a disappointment,the handling is also a bit dull, but the overall fell is nice.
Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:14   #8
BHPian

FF, car colour is too good. Nice pix. Good here that all your negatives are mostly about F/E thankfully and no complaints .
Old 21st October 2008, 15:27   #9
BHPian

Thank you all for your comments
I am thinking of adding a spoiler to the car, what do you all feel.

Do you think the spoiler will be available in this color, excuse me if you this my question is stupid
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00447.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.6 10800kms-dsc00450.jpg  

Old 21st October 2008, 20:13   #10
BHPian

Hey FF,

Great looking car! I hadnt seen this colour before...
Drive safe!
Old 21st October 2008, 20:59   #11
BHPian

After my 4th servicing about a month back, I don't know how (possibly a software upgrade at Planet Ford), the DTE has become surprisingly accurate. Ask for it in your next visit but the DTE has never show less that 550 Kms on a regulat 41 - 43 ltr tankful, ever. It drives a little more than it shows always. So I find it good. Also keep in mind the surface the car is usually parked on. If it is inclined sideways or something, the reading suffers, just like the tank needle and happens in all cars. And the car has to be stationery and switched off for a considerable amount of time for it to correct. The reading does not correct itself while the car is being driven.

Otherwise, yes yes you are right, super refined engine, awesome exhaust note which I too listen to standing besides the stationery car. Its music. It can be redlined almost every single time it is taken out. And of course not slight rattle after 20K. Its just not there period.

Check out my tyre upgrade thread that might come in handy later on.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...hopefully.html
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:44   #12
BHPian

Thanks abhi1309, 550 on a 43 ltr tank seems great. I have never got more than 10 kmpl in my city and the DTE always showing 357 or even 341 kms on a 41 ltr tank
But that maybe because you are running on a 1.4 engine whereas I am on a 1.6 ltr.
Thank you very much on the info and I will surely ask the guys in shaman Ford about the behaviour shown by the DTE and as well as the foresaid software upgrade, in my third service due next month, I hope the mileage increases after the service.
The tires on your car look superb and I wish to upgrade as soon as possible.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:10   #13
BHPian

Hi fidaford thats the same mileage i get i.e around 10-10.5 kmpl with 100% ac in Mumbai traffic.Regarding the DTE even in my car it varies from 350-400 kms so nothing to worry about.

P.S Nice review by the way.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
Thanks abhi1309, 550 on a 43 ltr tank seems great. I have never got more than 10 kmpl in my city and the DTE always showing 357 or even 341 kms on a 41 ltr tank
Hi Fidaford, do you mean to say you get less than 10kmpl mileage on the 1.6 ? A lot of forum members say they get a minimum of 10kmpl on their cars in city driving.
Do you use the full tank to full tank method to check the mileage ? or you go via the DTE ? The correct way to check the mileage would be full tank to full tank.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:31   #15
BHPian

Drive with care without being too hard on the throttle, change your gear a little below 2000 at all times, drive on 5th gear whenever you get a clear stretch in the city and the Fiesta will easily give you not less than 11 kmpl with AC on 100%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks