Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 19:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 40K

Need some suggestion on headlamp, what can be done to make it better? Somehow i feel that the penetration is less even with 90/100. Polo with stock throw better light than upgraded Optra Headlamp in rain
Old 15th July 2011, 10:24   #32
BHPian

Re: Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k

Options

- Light force
- Philips extreme vision+
- Check Keyur thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html

Last edited by brraj : 15th July 2011 at 10:27.
Old 16th July 2011, 09:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga
Need some suggestion on headlamp, what can be done to make it better? Somehow i feel that the penetration is less even with 90/100. Polo with stock throw better light than upgraded Optra Headlamp in rain
Have you tried driving with fog lamps on during rain or in low visibility? 90/100 is quite good enough in my opinion. Please check with fog lamps.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:23   #34
BHPian

Re: Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga View Post
Need some suggestion on headlamp, what can be done to make it better? Somehow i feel that the penetration is less even with 90/100 W. Polo with stock throw better light than upgraded Optra Headlamp in rain
I been trying almost all bulbs my magnum can take. Currently settled with OSRAM night breaker + 55/60 W bulb. They are just amazing. Much better than the so called Hella 90/100 I was using before. But the disadvantage is NB+ is pricy. Advantage is no fiddling with wiring and better performance.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 17th July 2011 at 01:25.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Options

- Light force
- Philips extreme vision+
- Check Keyur thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html
Thanks for connecting me to Keyur thread,I was incline to go for light force but drop the idea as was bit skeptical about the look.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I been trying almost all bulbs my magnum can take. Currently settled with OSRAM night breaker + 55/60 W bulb. They are just amazing. Much better than the so called Hella 90/100 I was using before. But the disadvantage is NB+ is pricy. Advantage is no fiddling with wiring and better performance.
Same experience here, Local accessories guy is suggesting me OSRAM 100/90 Super Bright. As per him it is much better than Hella or Philips Rally. Probably will try out this as the cost is quite reasonable @230/-

Last edited by raaga : 18th July 2011 at 17:48.
Old 18th July 2011, 21:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Same experience here, Local accessories guy is suggesting me OSRAM 100/90 Super Bright. As per him it is much better than Hella or Philips Rally. Probably will try out this as the cost is quite reasonable @230/-
The one I was talking about is Night breaker+, MRP of a pair is around 1050 RS. It is not very white light, and so the throw is good too (10% white is what claimed on the pack).

The problem with other bulbs in market is counterfeits. Almost all bulbs we see in shops are fakes, especially the Hella one's. Recently I measured the current consumed by one of the Hella 100/90 W bulbs I was using. It was consuming 4.6A at 12.7v, so the output was not more than 60W!

The only place I could find original bulbs are Reliance and then OSRAM night breaker+ though a retailer, the same shop who sold me Hella 90/100W bulbs used for the above experiment, but his NB+ source confirmed to be Bangalore wholesale distributor. Also the bulb is having Indian Address printed on it.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 18th July 2011 at 22:04.
Old 18th July 2011, 23:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The one I was talking about is Night breaker+, MRP of a pair is around 1050 RS. It is not very white light, and so the throw is good too (10% white is what claimed on the pack).

The problem with other bulbs in market is counterfeits. Almost all bulbs we see in shops are fakes, especially the Hella one's. Recently I measured the current consumed by one of the Hella 100/90 W bulbs I was using. It was consuming 4.6A at 12.7v, so the output was not more than 60W!

The only place I could find original bulbs are Reliance and then OSRAM night breaker+ though a retailer, the same shop who sold me Hella 90/100W bulbs used for the above experiment, but his NB+ source confirmed to be Bangalore wholesale distributor. Also the bulb is having Indian Address printed on it.
I checked the nightbreakers (originals) and they have a printed price of Rs.900 PER bulb. About 1500-1600 per pair after discounts - that too with the distributor on J C Road. How did you get yours for cheap?

Quote:
Try the Philips Xtreme Visions (+100%). The light has a better throw, good cutting power and also cost 900 for a pair!
Old 19th July 2011, 14:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but his NB+ source confirmed to be Bangalore wholesale distributor.
So whats the price with the whole sale dealer? It should be cheaper than Reliance guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I checked the nightbreakers (originals) and they have a printed price of Rs.900 PER bulb. About 1500-1600 per pair after discounts - that too with the distributor on J C Road. How did you get yours for cheap?
Are you talking about the NB or NB+ ? Also you mention two prices in your post, could you clarify?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th July 2011 at 14:07.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:11   #40
BHPian

Those who have installed - Why dont you guys upload pictures of the light spread in low and high beam.
Old 19th July 2011, 22:53   #41
BHPian

[quote=swiftnfurious;2435692]So whats the price with the whole sale dealer? It should be cheaper than Reliance guys.

I bought NB+ for 1050 RS a pair. Though it is from a retailer in Koramangala, whose source is known to me.
Old 17th October 2011, 17:57   #42
BHPian

I upgrade the bulb to 90/100 super bright. I found this is very good during my recent trip to Karkala via charmadi ghat. 1st time in last three years i am quite happy with through of light:-)
Old 17th October 2011, 19:48   #43
BHPian

Atlast today i got time to take picture of my ride after 3 years 3 months and 18 days. Here it goes
Attached Thumbnails
Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k-pic1.jpg  

Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k-pic2.jpg  

Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k-pic3.jpg  

Optra Magnum 0k To 10k Experience And Some Nagging Issues EDIT: updated to 15k-pic4.jpg  

Last edited by raaga : 17th October 2011 at 19:58.
Old 15th September 2015, 15:34   #44
BHPian

Sorry for being away from the thread but guess now the time to update. Recently got the 92K servicing done at Kropex. Overall, she is doing well and was gone for regular service only, below is the list of work done at the expense of 23K.
1. Break shoes change for all four wheels.
2. Engine Oil and filter change
3. Left side ABS sensor Change
4. Right mirror indicator change
5. Some adjustment on the hand break (light was glowing in release state also)
The thing which I like most is that Car still drives like new without ant rattle or change of clutch. It is a super reliable Car. This make me think what wrong with the strategy of GM as they could not sell a powerful and reliable Car like Optra. I want GM to be successful so that they can offer many more beauty from their portfolio.
The only complain which I had and I have is the headlight especially on the highway. In my opinion, she is having worst lighting among all the cars of its era.
Request to Mod - Can you please change the subject? Thank you in anticipation!!
Old 15th September 2015, 17:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The only complain which I had and I have is the headlight especially on the highway. In my opinion, she is having worst lighting among all the cars of its era.
A friend of mine also has an Optra Magnum, and he was also complaining that the headlights are quite useless. He has tried various combinations of osrams, hellas, 90/55, the lot. Nothing helped, so he's finally gone for a pair of aux lights that he's mounted in front of the grill.
It seems you've also exhausted your patience with various bulbs in the HL assembly, really your only options now are to either get a pair of aux lights OR go for a projector setup in your current HL from a competent shop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks