Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2006, 12:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Update: Car turned 2 a couple of days back.

Its been doing great except for an accident i had a while back. The car after repairs had a few niggles here and there, which surprisingly dies down on their own in a few weeks.

Car has completed 42000 kms, runs beautifully, and surely excites me as i m most of the time in a certain low lying honda.
Car is due for some seat covers, as the driver's seat fabric has torn a little.

Plans are to keep the car for another 2 years atleast, new shoes might just be come on when my bro's a little more certain about keeping the car for a while.

Like i've mentioned earlier the service at ambition auto is not the best, but can certainly be extracted.
In the last one year the car has needed tightening of an exhaust clamp, some tiny part of the fuel pump, a rod related to the steering wheel (it developed a leak while i was at the expressway, so the power steering became a a standard) and a little aircon work. All of this was covered in the warranty, ambirion people were sweet enough to sort the aircon and the exhaust clamp problems a day after the expiry of the warranty (i had called them a couple of days in advance though).

Overall the car i repeat has been a little better than i expected except for the bad braking and bumpy ride at the rear.
Kudos to Mahidra for developing a car, errr a SUV (mind you urban suv), and it great that they are going ahead every now and then with the Scorpio in terms of engines, frills, e.t.c which certainly indicates they aren't full of themse;ves already and are trying their best to offer the great VFM to the customer (not in terms of the slx model though).

Ohhh yeah, a very happy second b'day to the Scorpion King!!

manson.

p.s. N_C: after driving the ohc and the ikon for quite a while i have realised the handling issues of the scorpio that you have cribbed about since day one.

Last edited by manson : 27th May 2006 at 12:44.
Old 27th November 2007, 19:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey manson,
how about an update on the long term review of ur scorpio?.. no 3rd bday update?
Old 7th February 2009, 00:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

04/02/2009, at about 4.00 p.m. odd, just off the Eastern Express Highway the Scorpion King turned a full 1,00,00 kms old.The flick from 99,999 to a full 1,00,00 must have taken a few seconds, but betwean all that flashed by almost 5 years of what I had spent around this lovely vehicle.

The Scorpio has been around me through the best and the worst times in the last five years, and keeping all the emotional attachment aside, I have never though of a vehicle to fit the bill as good as the Scorpio has for me.
The few months I spent contemplating between the Scorpio and other cars back then seem like a sheer waste, but then maybe the choice would not have been as ideal.

The Scorpio is doing just fine, got back from a 2000 kms odd trip from Bangalore last week without a niggle. That speaks volumes of a car nearing 1,00,000 kms, especially when the owner is not a care taking fanatic.
I have been using the Scorpio once again as my daily drive since the last 7 months odd, after we sold the OHC to accomodate the Innova for my Dad. My daily run is usually to Navi Mumbai and back, about 60 kms flat, and some more when I have work in and around the warehouse. Through all this, belonging to the Engineering Industry, I have mowed a lot of stuff in the boot, sometimes weighing over a ton, literally. Surprisingly, there have been no issues with the suspension whatsoever, and the Scorpio moves how it ideally should. It has served as a fully blown workhorse thorugh all these years, and aI am in full praise of M&M's passenger car making capabiltities. They seem to have com a long way from their Trax days.

I had the clutch changed a few months back, and the gearshifts are as smooth as a perfectly run-in 15,000 kms vehcile would feel, if not smoother. Infact my Dad who is not an enthusiast by a long shot once mentioned to me how butter smooth the gearshift on the Scorpio have gotten. The mech seems to have done a great job of the clutch and the last brake pads change.

The tires are getting close to replacement time, and I am just guessing how much longer I could stretch the expense, they look good and worth for atleast another 5,000 kms though.
The front passenger seat creaks, I think this is because of a loose nut and nothing more, I will fix his up sometime soon. That reminds me, I need to get the front seat covers done again, a few patches on both front seats have goe bad and are literally peeling off the base fabric.
The only hitch I have had with the Scorpio are the electricals (besides the permanent ill-alignment of wheels), the high beam sometimes would not come on, the horn would not sound to optimum clarity and the wipers would sometimes act up too, but honestly, this is where all the niggles end with the Scorpio.

With the Scorpio, I have had an ownership experience that I would describe as nothing short of superb, buying one has been one of the best automotive decisions I have probably made.

manson.
Old 7th February 2009, 01:21   #19
BHPian

That should be pretty good feeling there, with 100,000kms on the machine.

Mods: Can you please change the title of the thread appropriately?
Old 7th February 2009, 01:41   #20
BHPian

very well written. Could feel the emotion. And the best part is you actually revived your old thread. Happy Motoring with your Scorpio and more important, happy birthday to your loved one.
Old 7th February 2009, 12:08   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the 6 figures! Always a special moment. How long do you plan to hold on to her?
Old 7th February 2009, 12:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Always a special moment.
You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How long do you plan to hold on to her?
That is a tough one, really. As of right now, the Scorpio has broken the four year replacement pattern (completing its fifth this May) that we usually follow at home, and the 'What to do with a five year old car' article has most definitely provided an apt prospective.
And, I have not been able to sight a suitable replacement either, maybe besides buying another Scorpio as replacement. But then the *new* car fun would probably not be felt.

Ideally, if I can manage an extra parking space, I would use the Scorpio for as long as it runs reliably and bring home a luxury sedan when the recession worries are done with.

manson.
Old 7th February 2009, 13:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

I still remember the parking lesson you gave me with this Scorpio.
Congratulations and welcome to the 'six digit' club,Manson!
Befriend the Mahindra spares guy and the mech.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2009, 14:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Impressive with the Scorpio.

Mighty beast tamed well.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

congrats mason. that was a nice write up.
Old 9th February 2009, 23:26   #26
BHPian

Congrats Man, what a milestone to achieve

Few days back I have got it, with both my cars combined.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:08   #27
BHPian

Congrats Manson, a very wel deserving appreciation. Can understand the feeling and closeness to a machine (possibly anything) that is with you for such a long time. Scorpio always will have a special place in most of our minds and I hope that M&M will keep the place in our hearts (just waiting for the HYBRID version to hit the roads).

About tyres, I would feel this way though, please dont take a chance and replace them when they are good but just about to die, other wise they could cause your discs some damage and will force you to do your discs as well along with tyres. Happened with me when I tried to prolong my tyres to see how long I can keep my worn out tyres.. just my experience though..

Regards,
Naru
Old 9th March 2009, 19:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the magical 1 lakh mark. Must be a very special moment for you and I guess emotional as well. She has served you well for 5 years. If you are planning to hold on to her, why not give her a makeover she so rightly deserves?
Old 10th March 2009, 11:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Manson,

Congrats to you and your scorp for the 100000 mark!! what an achievement!
Old 10th March 2009, 12:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the wishes guys, always good to hear pleasant words.

Dippy, Narayan: I have been contemplating swapping my Scorpio for the slightly tacky looking newly launched version, or probably go TD the Verna. The only other option being I give the Scorpio a much needed makeover, but over the years I have never been satisfied with what the aftermarket boys can do unless you have a huge budget and the time to troubleshoot every niggle.

I drove the Scorpio to work this morning (like I do evryday lol), and it runs so sweet that I am being tilted to refurbishing the cosmetics and using it for a couple of years. I have a month to make a decision, lets see what works out.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks