Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 18:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
... I think I will get myself a new soft top Gypsy, ...
Wow - you are a rock star - Going OT - i remember reading in some magazine (was it The Man??) about John Ibrahim's white soft top Gypsy and it looked awesome!

But I would keep the Pajero if I were in your shoes - you risk loosing too much capital on the year old Pajero!
Old 19th July 2009, 19:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Wow - you are a rock star - Going OT - i remember reading in some magazine (was it The Man??) about John Ibrahim's white soft top Gypsy and it looked awesome!

But I would keep the Pajero if I were in your shoes - you risk loosing too much capital on the year old Pajero!
John Abraham had the right idea, but I thought his car looked too pimped up. You want to keep a gypsy looking like an offroad tool, in my book.
Losing capital - yeah, I would, and that is what is keeping the deal from going through thus far. I am willing to take a fair hit, but can't see the point in making a distress sale. Or sell it at a price that is not reflective of its condition. Gypsies are not going to go out of production anytime soon, I reckon, so I will wait on this. I was actually surprised to hear that a new one is available in 30 days of booking these days.
Old 20th July 2009, 01:58   #33
BHPian

here is the pic i was referring to. IMO - i quite like the soft top conversion. Not sure about the big tyres on a non power steering vehicle, but it does look good. Apologies for OT from the thread topic.

Source: :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Attached Thumbnails
Pajero SFX one year on-john-.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 09:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

I reread the article,thanks. Very sensible man, I would say, and I wish him well. I like his strong statements on safety, but I am not sure if people read those before they see the stunts in the films and go to emulate that part instead! Great looking Gypsy, and the white one is the one to go for. I am still not sure about the wheel/tyre change, to be honest. It is an honest working vehicle, and to my eyes would look best that way. All I would change is better quality tyres in the same size, or maybe just a step wider sections to reduct the psi they bring to bear on the road, and to get a slightly better ride. I am sure that the OEs are the usual compromise.
Old 20th July 2009, 09:33   #35
BANNED

Get a pre owned Gypsy...

Quote:
John Abraham had the right idea, but I thought his car looked too pimped up. You want to keep a gypsy looking like an offroad tool, in my book.
Losing capital - yeah, I would, and that is what is keeping the deal from going through thus far. I am willing to take a fair hit, but can't see the point in making a distress sale.
This may sound wierd and I may be getting too personal here, but why would you want to sell a supremely capable SuV with all the creature comforts and off road capability for a bare bones off roader?
I understand the strings that they Gypsy pulls and for that you might as well buy a pre owned piece and get it to ship shape for pure off roading thrills.

I am saying this after having used a Gypsy for around 4 years now (sold it once I moved to B'lore). It is not a practical everyday vehicle with its leaf spring suspension, jawan seats at the back, no climate control and of course, its non existent handling on the highways....
Old 20th July 2009, 09:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Fair question, and feel free to shoot holes in the answers, to help me make a good decision here! As I said, the rest of the family thinks I am not thinking straight either.

For my day to day use in the city, I have another car. Or for a intercity trip too. The Paj is not as well suited for either application as these choices are.

On the other hand, it is bulky and heavy to bash about off roads, not to mention expensive, for my level of affluence, besides attracting the wrong kind of attention in the poorer rural areas. And now that it is just the wife and I, two front seats is all I need. The occassional rear seaters can get thrown around a bit, not a big deal. And great back road drives are available here, that need at the most a one hour highway drive to get to.
Yes, the no AC and other creature comforts is a con, but one that is offset by the many other pros in my situation.

Now if I was to drive from Pune to Leh and back, it is the perfect car. But how many times would I do that in a year?

And I simply will not permit myself to have a Paj and a Gypsy - So do not suggest that as a solution !!
Old 20th July 2009, 11:22   #37
BANNED

As a second car, the Gypsy rules...

Quote:
For my day to day use in the city, I have another car. Or for a intercity trip too. The Paj is not as well suited for either application as these choices are.

And I simply will not permit myself to have a Paj and a Gypsy - So do not suggest that as a solution !!
Makes sense, I didn't know you had a second car. sorry but which car is that if I may ask?

As a second car, the Gypsy is a good choice and so is the Mahindra Souvenir, available on the Mahindra customised website.
I would suggest checking that out and I would still not rule out getting an Army disposal MM550 or a Gypsy and getting that worked upon. It will suit your occasional off roading trips and will be value for money as well in my opinion.
Lets talk....
Old 20th July 2009, 11:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Got a i20 1.2 and a spark. Two sensible cars. Right?!
A new Mahindra custom Souvenir - I did look at the website, and it looked to be a couple of lakhs more expensive on road than the Gypsy. Plus, I would have to look for a rural address to register it, given its emissions status? But it does sound interesting as well. Would it be just as reliable as a new Gypsy? That is the question too.
The second route too, I have considered, but one really does not how badly these OTR bought cars have been thrashed, and getting them back to scratch means access to a person that is both capable to the extent this would need, and is trustworthy to not expose me to an open ended spending situation. And it may, because in my cars, everything has to be in good working order.
We need to open a new thread?
Old 20th July 2009, 13:20   #39
BANNED

Cool combo...How bout this idea??

Quote:
Got a i20 1.2 and a spark. Two sensible cars. Right?!
A new Mahindra custom Souvenir - I did look at the website, and it looked to be a couple of lakhs more expensive on road than the Gypsy. Plus, I would have to look for a rural address to register it, given its emissions status? But it does sound interesting as well. Would it be just as reliable as a new Gypsy? That is the question too.
The second route too, I have considered, but one really does not how badly these OTR bought cars have been thrashed, and getting them back to scratch means access to a person that is both capable to the extent this would need, and is trustworthy to not expose me to an open ended spending situation. And it may, because in my cars, everything has to be in good working order.
We need to open a new thread?

Sensible Spark? Certainly yes, but both better the Paj on the highways, interesting revelation...

Mahindra Souvenir: If not purchased new, a Mahindra Major can easily and affordably converted into it, if not better.
Reliability, certainly owning to its agri engine roots. Also it is very torquey and is a veritable mountain goat. I have done enough jeeping with the DI to assure that. Also, the running costs and spares are that much cheaper.

The second route is not only cost effective but also simple. How much would an entirely new MM 550 engine cost? If not, how much would a complete mechanical overhaul at an authorised Mahindra workshop cost? Less, much less than buying a new jeep or Gypsy not to mention the personifications/modifications that you may drool for.

The rest of the jeep can be had for around 80k-90k in Delhi (selection and registration I can assist if required).

People fit all sorts of gizmos and use them for routine off roading adventures on a regular basis...What say??
Old 20th July 2009, 13:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

For two, the i 20 would be better than the Paj on the highway, and the spark in the city. Horses for courses. Actually, I am somewhat suspicious about all SUVs on the highways because of their high CG. Doesnt inspire confidence in this driver. As I have said before, even if the Paj ran easily at 140-150, I wouldn't take it there.
Your other line of thinking sounds interesting!
Old 20th July 2009, 14:34   #41
BANNED

Lets move ahead then...

Quote:
Your other line of thinking sounds interesting!
All right then, PM me or post a reply when you intend to move ahead with it...And yes, I too believe that cars can easily hold a stick on the highways compared to most SUVs, but there can be exceptions.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
And yes, I too believe that cars can easily hold a stick on the highways compared to most SUVs, but there can be exceptions.
What's the exception? One I can think of is the Forester, but that was more of an estate and not a true SUV.
I am opening another thread on the what car subject, in that part of the forum. Look forward to your contributions there!
Old 24th July 2009, 17:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered the Gypsy's big brother...the Grand Vitara. Its more managable in the city and used ones can be had for a good price. But I guess its too similar to the Paj.

Then you also have the Scorpios/Trax/Safari 4x4s.

Gypsy is great for short hops in pleasant weather (ie not too hot or cold). Of course its also great for OTRs.

Long distance touring will be a bone jarring experience.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

In the meantime, what is the reaction to a thought of painting the last panel, below the rearmost glass, grey to match the rest of the car. The roof and the rear pillars would remain white, to match the A pillar.
I happened to see a SFX painted all in one shade today, including the roof, in a lighter shade of grey and it looked a lot more integrated as a shape.
My thought is to still keep the two tone, retain the heat reflecting benefit of the white roof, and have the car below the window line in all the same grey that a part of it is just now.
Old 25th July 2009, 20:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Using my basic skills, to illustrate the thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Pajero SFX one year on-img_8257.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks