Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 10:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

great review guderian. since you are from thane, i guess we can meet up at global gallarie sometimes, if thats your service centre. i give my car there too.

i dint get the 5 year warranty part though, can you please explain.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
great review guderian. since you are from thane, i guess we can meet up at global gallarie sometimes, if thats your service centre. i give my car there too.

i dint get the 5 year warranty part though, can you please explain.
Hi Raj, Thanks. Earlier I think I had written to you (?) somewhere on this forum that we should meet at Global Gal. Anyway lets link up.Can you PM your contacts to me ?
Ahhh...the 5 year warranty - you see in the year of the Lord 2005 M&M was celebrating it's 60 years of existence on terra firma and so they decided to sell all it's vehicles with a 60 month warranty deal (somewhere around Sept and the scheme was on till Nov or Dec)- I guess the reason was also to ensure that all the older CRDes get pushed off the shelves as the 'All New Scorpio CRDe' with 43 new features was round the corner and the fact that year end was at sniffing distance. So I picked up Guderian then - and it was one of the best decisions I ever took...! And before I forget - also got a good Timex watch as a gift via a scratch card. Thanks to the warranty - the peace of mind is amazing ! Also for the hushed respect for the old timer CRDe, on the shop floor of the ASC when the grease monkeys whisper ' Paanch saal walah gaadi hai - sab kaam theek karna ' !
Old 24th August 2009, 16:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe...at 80K KMs. A Photo Essay.

Two earlier LTO Reports nattered in a very verbose manner the journey of Guderian, a Scorpio CRDe SLX, of September 2005 vintage. Those attempts at reporting occurred when Guderian crossed the 40 K and 65 K KMs milestones, if you could call it that...!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...continues.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-40-k-kms.html

And so when two Fridays ago, we, that's right me and my faithful Guderian, crossed the 80K mark was wondering whether to put up another sleep inducing LTOR, which would be a tribute to Morpheus and a boon for insomniacs...when it occurred to me, that it would be much better if the narration is left to some images !
And so here it is - a set of images which best describes the character and spirit of Guderian ! Of course even this doesn't prevent me from putting in a stray comment or two...or more !

1. Spirit of Guderian
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04845.jpg

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04882.jpg

2. It's been 3 years and 9 months and yet it seems like yesterday when we first ran into each other. 3 Years and 9 months ! The world has changed since. One thing that hasn't changed is Guderian's reliability. Rock solid !

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04893.jpg

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04889.jpg

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04846.jpg

Changes in the last 15 K odd KMs -
3. The OE Bridgestone H/T tyres were changed at 68K KMs though I could have squeezed out at least another 10 K KMs but as I had a long, 4 K KMs, high speed run to the south - wasn't willing to take a chance. The replacement boots - Yokos - Geolandars A/T 235/70/R16. Great boots for Guderian. Great on normal roads. Amazing on wet and pot holed roads. The road grip is fantastic - no horror stories while cornering or fish tailing on wet roads. Behaviour on braking is note worthy. One casuality though is the FE. Appears to have dropped a after the new boots were fitted.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04892.jpg

4. The OE upholstery was turning a little palid so came in some faux leather...Camel Brown is the colour that M&M calls it OE for the Scorpio. Though very light in colour and could get dirty now and then...I liked it & so it came on to the seats, gear knob and steering wheel...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04902.jpg

5. Mighty heart of Guderian...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04857.jpg

Changed the battery after about 3.5 years...the OE battery Amaron could have gone on for a year...but one cell was weak and a went back to Amaron and got a Go with 3 year warranty. Good buy I felt.

6. The Lungs.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04861.jpg
Last week changed the air filter assembly and got a new one. The old one was getting warped (near the area facing the engine), thanks to cheap plastic used and gaps were developing which could/would have seen the possibility of unfiltered air going straight to the engine, leading to disastrous cosequences in the long run...

- Also fitted in the clear fog lamps...as one of the eyelets in the bumper was bashed out by a bashful goat during a Bangalore-Mangalore run somewhere near Kunugal this March ! And Guderian was looking like a one eyed pirate !

7.Guderian...An Officer...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04881.jpg

8. ...And a Gentleman...!
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04878.jpg

The road presence continues to amaze me. I guess the colour black also adds to the general demeanour ! And I am a gentle soul (!) who never speaks above a hush...but on the roads Guderian does all the talking...and the traffic parts...reminds me of Moses and the Red Sea !

9. The fairly good ground clearance of 180 MM has helped me on many a occasion...pot holed Mumbai roads and cross country stretches on long drives out of town...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04884.jpg

The experience with the ASC seems to have improved. Partly because I continue to stand by my vehicle when it goes under the scalpel and partly because I seem to now know everyone and his uncle at the ASC ! Besides M&M appears to have genuinely made efforts to improve the quality of their ASCs. However the grouse still remain on some of the sub standard components:
- Changed the clutch release bearings twice in the last 15 K KMs.
- The rear brake cylinders changed twice in the last 15 K KMs.
- Window winder.
- Oil separator.
- Clutch switch.
Thank God, Guderian has a 5 year warranty and these parts were changed under warranty.

10.But to be fair to the build of the beast never has the reliability been an issue and the failing parts give plenty of audio and visual warning for a change ! Or may be because I am very finicky I guess ! To keep Guderian in grunting & snorting fit condition...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04914.jpg

11. Never say die old chap...!
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04913.jpg

12.Seen quite a few long trips, particularly down south, including a 4 K KMs annual run to Bangalore besides side trips to Mysore, Chickmagalur, Kollur etc.
- Somewhere near Hubli...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04340.jpg

13.Guderian driving out from the gates of Srirangapatnam...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04458.jpg

14.On the return...near Kolhapur. A close up after a high speed run - bugs, splatter and things on the snout !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04665.jpg

Guderian churns out 155 KMPH on when the situation demands it but is happy doing 140 KMPH and extremely happy doing 120 KMPH for hours on end - my estimate would do it for days on end without a whimper !

15. On a nostalgic trip to my old factory in Ambarnath.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04925.jpg

16. My Sunday quality time of about 2 hours with the beast continues unchanged with the same set of activities as before. Except that I have a brand new Craftsman 87 piece toolkit, foot pump etc in addition to all the earlier tools which helps me to potter around the vehicle and attend to all minor activities instead of running off to the ASC every now and then...and keeps it in fine fettle ! And saves me quite a bit of money really.

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04922.jpg
16. A panoramic view of a spot in Thane where I shot Guderian in some of the snaps.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04921.jpg

(To Be Continued...)

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2009 at 20:04. Reason: Color & Font tags removed
Old 24th August 2009, 16:21   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice work
may the monster continue to give you great service and enjoyment
maybe you should knock out the font troubles on your post though!
cheers
Old 24th August 2009, 16:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Nice report. Have you considered removing/replacing the bull bars ?
Old 24th August 2009, 17:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe...at 80K KMs. Part 2 - A Photo Essay.

...And so it was on a bright sunny Sunday morning HVK (a distinguished T- BHPian) and I trotted off to a near by hillock to put Guderian through its paces on completing 80 K KMs.
1. Spectacular view from the top.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04941.jpg

2. HVK having a dekko...not very convinced that it has completed 80 K KMs !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04947.jpg

3. Down to the nearby creek.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04948.jpg

4. HVK still not convinced !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04958.jpg

5. Across the bow !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04955.jpg

6. Badges of pride. Pride ? Yeah - lots of good friends - thanks to T- BHP !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04951.jpg
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04952.jpg
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04953.jpg

7. Guderian at Wolfslair...Wolfsschanze !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04965.jpg

Skunk in a rat hole...tight fit !

8. What's next ? Looking forward to many, many more mile munching !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04950.jpg
9. And miles to go in this beast !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc04956.jpg
Have I had thoughts of a change of steed ? I woudn't say no because I have frequent thoughts of getting a 4X4 or a bigger mobile real estate or marquee brand...but then a host of factors crushes the dream.The first one being cost and VFM and the next few also being the same.And a few minor issues like a bigger lothario wouldn't fit into the stilt parking, wife and kid refuse to think of anything else other than the current beast. You see after miles and miles of long distance travel with them packed into it - the beast has assumed the aura of a living, breathing creature ! No amount of information of how the value falls, how problems begin to surface after 3 years of ownership etc etc seems to convince them. Now that really is the power of Guderian ! What am I to do ? Dash !
Till the next LTOR...tally ho !
Old 24th August 2009, 17:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats an exceedingly well maintained 80K vehicle. Good job!
Old 24th August 2009, 17:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
nice work
may the monster continue to give you great service and enjoyment
maybe you should knock out the font troubles on your post though!
cheers
Hi,
Thanks.
Did try my best to knock off the font gremlins but with no avail. Surprisingly the second part had no such issue - though I didn;t do anything different !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Nice report. Have you considered removing/replacing the bull bars ?
Hi Pervez,
Actually hate the bull bar m'self ! But then in Mumbai traffic ( and I guess elsewhere too)that piece of metal really helps. So now I think of it as the staff of Moses !
Also the bull bar is a safety concern as well as it changes the crash dynamics totally being directly attached on the ladder frame and also a big threat to pedestrians even at slow speeds.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2009 at 20:05. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 17:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

You could always change them to a much meaner look. I mean in the last photo the Scorp looks Sumoish from the front. Search the forum you'll find a lot of bull bars.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:32   #55
BHPian

@Guderian

80K Kms ?
You got to be kidding. It looks amazing.
Great job.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:58   #56
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! amazing pics and story. 80K + is where you will actually start to see the VFM kick in I have done almost 70K on mine and its still rock solid !! I agree with prince on the bull bar.

Can you highlight your Sunday maintenance activities ? It would really help some of us out here.
Old 25th August 2009, 10:55   #57
BHPian

Lovely pictures and thanks for sharing.

Scorpio rocks and is rock solid as well. I am nearing 80K kms on my non-CRDE 2004 scorpio.

What appreciate if you could list the Sunday maintenance activities. It will be useful to lots of Scorpio owners including myself
Old 25th August 2009, 11:06   #58
BHPian

Hi HG,

Very nice report! Wishing you & Guderian many more happy miles together!

Cheers,
Arun
Old 25th August 2009, 13:19   #59
BHPian

Fantastic pictures Sir! Guderian has to be seen up close to be believed. The engine bay is the cleanest I've ever seen! Spotless and sparkling! Congratulations on the 80k journey so far, keep those wheels turning!

Cheers,
Old 25th August 2009, 13:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

fantastic pictures of your black scorpio sir, superbly maintained and that engine bay looked perfectly neat and clean, wow.Wishing you more happy miles with your wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks