Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 13:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

execellent and well maintained scorpio sir, just a question why two threads for the same scorpio are posted, they could be merged too.
wishing you more happy miles with your wheels.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Wow ! amazing pics and story. 80K + is where you will actually start to see the VFM kick in I have done almost 70K on mine and its still rock solid !! I agree with prince on the bull bar.

Can you highlight your Sunday maintenance activities ? It would really help some of us out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Lovely pictures and thanks for sharing.

Scorpio rocks and is rock solid as well. I am nearing 80K kms on my non-CRDE 2004 scorpio.

What appreciate if you could list the Sunday maintenance activities. It will be useful to lots of Scorpio owners including myself
Thanks NIP, AarEmm and Jammy !

Ahhh...Sunday morning ! Believe me for me it's a great stress buster and the family loves it too - as I am out of their hair for almost 2 - 2.5 hours !
Let me best describe in seriatim the activities:
1. Go down to Wolfslair (errr...my name for Guderian's parking lot) with all my equipment - which includes tool kit/s, cleaning equipment (bucket/cleaning liquids etc), foot pump etc. Getting ready to tackle the Sunday morning task itself is quite a R-Day parade. Start at 6.30 am.
2. First start of with the tyres. I check the air pressure with my pressure gauge and fill in air if required with the foot pump. Maintain a pressure of 32 PSI. Loose about 0.5 PSI every second week. Resisting the temptation to buy a electric pump as this gives my feet a good work out ! Once in 2 months lower the spare tyre and check pressure. Inspect all the tyres thoroughly for foreign objects like nails etc etc.
3. By this time the GDW (Gaadi Dhone Wala !) reports in and starts the weekly interiors cleaning. Rest of the week he does the exteriors. After the interiors he goes on to the exteriors.
4. My next action is to open up the engine bay and start the water cleaning of the entire engine bay. Living in Mumbai and running the beast for almost 100 KMs a day works wonders on the appearance of the bay by the end of the week. Dusty, mucky and tired looking are mild words ! I use plain water and super absorbent cloth to clean up the engine bay and the sorrounding areas. Force splash water through the grill area to keep the radiator and sorroundings free of muck and it helps the engine cooling.
5. Check the battery area and connections.
6. Inspect engine bay thoroughly for loose wires, tubes etc and fasten them. In the Scorpio there are many wires with harness and a fire retardant factory fitted cloth wrapping which over a period of time gets undone and brittle. Perform surgery on them - remove the dead and dying wrappings, tie back the remaning and neatly wrap it with Steel Grip tape. Also all connection ends which turn bare are 'Steel Gripped' !
7. I pick up one major task in a week (on a monthly/quarterly schedule) - Could be - check all nuts and bolts in engine bay and tighten, check all U/C nuts and tighten, check all interior nuts and bolts (seats etc), vacuum interiors, check internal wirings, remove NVH cover and check the CRDe entrails, cleaning up the seat covers etc etc.
8. Check all fluids - engine/brake/clutch oils/coolant/spray wash water levels.
9. Check under chasis condition for drips, leaks etc and overall look out for visible sign of abrasions, wear etc of moving parts.
10. Check out for specific issues if any that would have surfaced during the driving in the past week.
11. On the Sunday after the periodic servicing ( I usually take Guderian to the ASC on a Saturday) I spend more time ! Rechecking all activities carried out and looking out for loose nuts etc and cleaning up the mess left behind by the grease monkeys...dirty seats, waste cotton and other by products of careless work !
12. Finally the exterior check. All minor scratches etc are covered by paint pen work !
I am done in about 2.5 hours. And how time flies...when with the beast !
Believe me this weekly caper helps me to keep the beast in fine fettle, besides also knowing exactly what needs to be done at each periodic visit to the ASC without allowing them to do any pointless and often wrong diagnosis for noises, engine work (if any) etc.
Also maintain a fairly meticulous tracksheet on XL for the vehicle maintenance/service points/expenditure etc etc.
Is this all madness ? Possibly, yes. Obsession ? Possibly, yes. Passion ? Definitely !
Any Q's - do ask !
And NIP/ Prince - about the bull bar - yeah - now that's a sight for sore eyes alright ! But haven't found a suitable n decent replacement...suitable - for the needs of Mumbai traffic mayhem and decent enough for/on my pocket ! Actually thinking of getting the damn thing powder coated - matt black ! That should look better or will it worsen an already bad piece ?!!
Thanks for the interest shown !

Last edited by Guderian : 25th August 2009 at 14:22.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Fantastic pictures Sir! Guderian has to be seen up close to be believed. The engine bay is the cleanest I've ever seen! Spotless and sparkling! Congratulations on the 80k journey so far, keep those wheels turning!

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
fantastic pictures of your black scorpio sir, superbly maintained and that engine bay looked perfectly neat and clean, wow.Wishing you more happy miles with your wheels.
Hi Sriku, Thanks for the kind comments and wishes ! Was a pleasure chatting up with you at GlobGal last Wednesday - thanks for dropping by !

Thanks Vijay for all the observations and good wishes.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Thats an exceedingly well maintained 80K vehicle. Good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
@Guderian

80K Kms ?
You got to be kidding. It looks amazing.
Great job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
execellent and well maintained scorpio sir, just a question why two threads for the same scorpio are posted, they could be merged too.
wishing you more happy miles with your wheels.
Thanks theMAG, yzfrj and Vijay !
Vijay - was having a hellish time yesterday managing the snaps etc and was time and again unable to load it...so finally split it and moved ahead. Sorry of it caused you any inconvenience !
Old 26th August 2009, 10:09   #65
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your detailed Sunday activities list. This is simply wow and superb. I must say it shows on Guderain and would love to have a personal look at Guderain.

Point 11 is a great idea as I have a nervous wreck after getting my Scorpio serviced.

Its definitely passion and again congrats on such a well maintained Scopio.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Thanks for sharing your detailed Sunday activities list. This is simply wow and superb. I must say it shows on Guderain and would love to have a personal look at Guderain.

Point 11 is a great idea as I have a nervous wreck after getting my Scorpio serviced.

Its definitely passion and again congrats on such a well maintained Scopio.
Thanks again AarEmm !
PM your number to me and we'll chat up...and shall also give you the contact particulars of our active Scorpio group on Yahoo.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:06   #67
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that Sunday activity list Guderian !! I think i'm gonna print it and paste in in my garage At least it'll motivate me to do it once in a way !! My GDW does an amazing job though
Old 27th August 2009, 08:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Thanks for that Sunday activity list Guderian !! I think i'm gonna print it and paste in in my garage At least it'll motivate me to do it once in a way !! My GDW does an amazing job though
Hi NIP, In my case I do it primarily for the engine bay activities and checking of all the mechanicals/nuts,bolts etc which I can't leave to the GDW. Cleaning, yes, he does a rather good job...as can be seen from the interiors and exteriors. But, ahhh, the quality time with the beast - now that's real value add in terms of the stress busting and intimacy with the vehicle !
Old 28th June 2010, 13:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

A Scorpio CRDe (2005) Breezes Past 100K KMs Mark...!

Hi,
Guderian, my constant companion, who happens to be a Scorpio CRDe breezed past the 100K KMs milestone, last evening at precisely 1710 hours.
The 100K mark was touched on the Ghodbunder Road, Thane - somewhere near a point called Gowmukh.

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06200.jpg
And it took Guderian 4 years, 9 months and 12 days from the date of possession to reach the magic number.

I have been posting here regularly the reports of the steadily rising numbers on the odometer over the years...40K,80K and now 100K !
Anyway for those who have joined in late here are some facts about the old boy:

Name - Heinz Wilhelm Guderian.
Rank - Generaloberst.
Model n Year - Scorpio CRDe - September 2005.
Date of Possession - September 15, 2005.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06201.jpg

Of the 100K KMs done till date about 25 K KMs has been on long distance trips and 75 K Kms has been in the city - Mumbai/Thane.
The FE figures:
1. City - 11.5 to 12 KMPL. Best city figure - 13.37 KMPL in Jan 2009.
2. Highway - 10 - 14.6 KMPL depending on speed/s. Best figure - 14.6 KMPL when driving at a sedate 80-100 KMPH on the GQ between Chitradurga and Tumkur in April 2007.

Profile/s of a proud general:
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06203.jpg
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06204.jpg

The old boy has been my constant/only ride since Sept 2005 and a great source of comfort and reliability (touchwood !). Has been rock solid in its performance. The maintenance costs have been fairly average or I'd dare say compared to other vehicles of its girth - even below average. M&M spares are rather inexpensive, though sometimes I feel the labour charges are a little over the top. The average cost per service would be in the region of about Rs 2.5 K, inclusive of consumables. I have been going to only one particular M&M ASC, near my house all these years and that has served me well. I know every mechanic on the floor and they know every bit of Guderian well ! I spend the entire day on the shop floor when Guderian goes for his service - and without exception. While familiarity and ease of familiarity is fine - the quality of service and skills in the ASC leaves much to be desired.

Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06205.jpg

Break in thoughts photograph-wise:
Area around the photoshoot spot !
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06208.jpg

As mentioned in my earlier posts, even to this day I spend about 2 hours, on an average, every Sunday lavishing attention on the Scorp.
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06212.jpg

Not a single major issue and not too many minor issues (touchwood again !) either till date. The vehicle whether in the city or on the highways quietly goes about its business with minimal fuss or brouhaha. There were periods when of thoughts of an upgrade etc entered ones mind - but thanks to better sense and advice of well meaning friends one firmly consigned those thoughts to the waste basket. And boy am I glad that I did that !

The strong silent type. Guderian stands tall...
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06210-2.jpg

The engine, as has been described by everyone and his uncle, is a real whippet ! It's peppiness and power can't be truly described - only experienced !

The mighty heart of Guderian:
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06217.jpg

In quiet contemplation of the days gone by:
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06226.jpg

And looking forward to many, many more miles to come:
Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6-dsc06222-2.jpg

Here's to you Guderian !!!

Last edited by Guderian : 28th June 2010 at 13:48.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

100k kms and it still looks fresh out of the showroom!

A well kept vehicle and a mighty work horse.

And a good review! This is truly one LTOR.

EDIT:

How is the tire usage? When did you change them last?

Last edited by HappyWheels : 28th June 2010 at 14:00.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:59   #71
BHPian

nice one buddy!
You seem to been truely in love with your companion.
Iv spotted your scorpio on pokhran rd no. 2 on a couple of occassions.
Will wave out to you next time
Old 28th June 2010, 14:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
100k kms and it still looks fresh out of the showroom!

A well kept vehicle and a mighty work horse.

And a good review! This is truly one LTOR.

EDIT:

How is the tire usage? When did you change them last?
Hi HappyWheels,
Thanks !
About the tyres - I changed the OE Bridgestone H/T at 68K (though they would have still run for another 10-12K KMs) and now have Yoko Geolandars - A/T. Serving me well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
nice one buddy!
You seem to been truely in love with your companion.
Iv spotted your scorpio on pokhran rd no. 2 on a couple of occassions.
Will wave out to you next time
Thanks Shantyrocks...will keep a lookout for you !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th June 2010 at 11:48.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Guderian, that's truly a great looking Scorpio there, considering that it's already munched 100k kms ! It looks hungry for more.

Did it come with the roof rails, or was it added later ? I am looking at adding roof rails on my beast. Cheers
Old 28th June 2010, 15:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Wow, Guderian, that's truly a great looking Scorpio there, considering that it's already munched 100k kms ! It looks hungry for more.

Did it come with the roof rails, or was it added later ? I am looking at adding roof rails on my beast. Cheers
Hi Mooza,Thanks.The Scorp came with the ski/roof rails as it is a SLX.After market roof/ski rails can be a disaster if not done well - and best avoided as per me !
Old 28th June 2010, 15:14   #75
BANNED

Wow, Guderian is back on TBHP after a long break. Certainly unflappable steed and an equally loving owner....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks