Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 17:45   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Tata Safari 2004 TCIC - 3 month report

Bought a 2004 TCIC bull for 3.45L (after multiple negotiations) as my second vehicle.

Post purchase expenses.

1. Clutch replacement - 12-13K
2. Front 2 tyres replaced - 12K (Bridgestone Duelers Stock - 235/75/15 H/T)
3. Bull guard and lights - 9K
4. Headlamps (L&R)- 6K
5. Mats and other oddities(CAT,Silencer cleaning , Engine flush etc, changing the beadings etc ) 5-6K
6. Wifey shouting at me (and the subsequent headaches) for spending so much time in the work shop in the weekends - Priceless

Some ICE and Alloys in the pipeline - Waiting for Vitamin M allocation from Home minister.

Reclaiming my life !!! .

First long drive was to my native (Coonoor - Nilgiris ) , pushed the bull up the Kalatti ghats like a petrol .. big mistake , the engine temp. guage was almost 3/4 up, thought i would stop when it touched the 3/4th mark .
Suddenly lots of green smoke with an acrid burning smell, pulled the bull over to the sholder, the incline was too steep, the Hand brake was not holding. Had to ask wifely to stomp on the brake while i propped large stones on both tyres.

The coolent was boiling, it had forced the hose & cap off, waited for 15-20 mins for it to cool down (The cool air helped as well ) , the expansion resovoir was empty , filled it to the max with drinking water (RO'ed)

Drove upto ooty (with a worried look at the temp gauge), got 2 litres of coolent and topped it twice.

2nd trip was to Tirupati .. touched 135kmph (with 4 adults, kid and luggage )

3rd trip to Chennai - Was taking a legal u turn at 2 kmph , a pulsar hit the rear tyre at around 60-70 kmph and exploded, his mudguard, visor and everything went up the air.. He rider was safe, the Safari carried a small dent behind the the rear door as part of the accident

While passing Ambur on route to chennai , i went up a flyover ramp at about 70-75 kmph , didnt judge the road curve, i was in the wrong speed & gear at the wrong place... braked slowly ... the tyres sqealed and i felt the vehicle would topple over .. wife and the rest of the team inside screamed . I was busy praying .

My cousin who was with me (he drives a scorpio crde) was sure that we would have toppled if it was a scorpio .. not scorpio bashig or anything.. just stating what he said

numerous 50-100 km uneventful shuttles

I use it daily in city traffic , absolutely loving it , vehicle very sluggesh till the turbo kicks in, drag races from signal stops are fun with other petrol vehicles who underestemate the power of this podorus beast ... the bull often does the vanishing act behind a thick black smoke screen

Signing off for now !! will post some pics soon

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2009 at 16:35. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smilies per post please
Old 29th August 2009, 00:21   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@CP

Buying a 2004 TCIC Safari is really a decision from the heart. Happy driving.

Sad to hear about your problem while driving up the ghats. The bridge on your way to Chennai must be the one which just after Vaniyambadi. It is a very dangerous bridge and i always see accidents whenever i pass it.

I used to drive a TCIC Safari way back in 2001-2002. I simply loved its road presence and how the lorries respect the vehicle. Yes, it is very sluggish and whenever i switched to a car, the car would suddenly have an amazing pick up. But the Safari had a host of silly problems, which made us to sell the beast.

I am sure you are prepared to face surprises

By the way, what made you buy this beast?
Old 29th August 2009, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

cyberpatrol, congratulations on your safari purchase, shows your heart well over head as all owners says this.Hope you have pleasant ownership and happy miles ahead with this beast.Pictures awaited.
Old 29th August 2009, 22:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

lol; that was fun.

Congrats.

Do post pix.
Old 30th August 2009, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase!!!
The older TCIC Safaris were surely a wonderful piece of machinery to own!!! We owned one in the family and I have driven it on countless times on the our highways.
At the time I personally used to drive around in a Maruti Zen!!! So I truly understand when you say how the bigger trucks and lorries respect this vehicle!!!
Old 31st August 2009, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@CP

But the Safari had a host of silly problems, which made us to sell the beast.

I am sure you are prepared to face surprises

By the way, what made you buy this beast?

Been in love with a Sierra since 1994, my close friend had it and we had so much fun in college with it . Bought the Safari with my heart well knowing the iggles and squiggles that come with owning a Tata vehicle. At the end of the day i still consider it worthwile as it still is the best looking beast around and it treats you like a king.. I keep my first car outside, out in the sun and the bull in the covered car parking . Just could not afford a new dicor as i'm servicing a heavy housing loan.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:04   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choise, the 3L dicor would have meant more power for possibly just 50K more in the 2004-2005 year range. But the TCIC is more reliable.

The temp gauge should only go upto the half way mark in the TCIC safari.

The Addtional Halogens that you have fitted on the bull guard in front of the radiator may have reduced cooling power due to reduced air intake.

Try avoiding the Ac while climbing the hills, the power will be better and the car will heat up less.
Old 1st September 2009, 19:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The temp gauge should only go upto the half way mark in the TCIC safari.

The Addtional Halogens that you have fitted on the bull guard in front of the radiator may have reduced cooling power due to reduced air intake.

Try avoiding the Ac while climbing the hills, the power will be better and the car will heat up less.
The additional lights were fitted on the lower bar of the bull guard in front of the number plate so as to not effect the airflow to the radiator. Like you said the engine temp gauge stays a little shy of the 1/2 way mark in normal drivings.

Didn't use the a/c while going up the ghats . The bull really struggled (just my wife and me with little luggage ) in the hills and i was on 1-2 gears for most of the 16 km climb.

How do i get a compression test done ?

When the engine temp is at 1/4, as soon as the AC is switched on it goes upto a little shy of the 1/2 way mark in a few mins at max . Is this normal ? does the a/c put such a load on the engine ? The rpm at idle goes from .8 to 1.2-1.3 (*1000) when the ac is switched on
Old 1st September 2009, 22:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@CP, congrats.
Quote:
cyberpatrol : 2nd trip was to Tirupati .. touched 135kmph (with 4 adults, kid and luggage )
135 with the TCIC engine ? There's a mistake somewhere here. That TCIC engine is rated to go only 125 even when mounted in the lighter-by-300-kg Sumo (at full payload). At 2150kg + 300kg load, you would not be able to touch 135.

Get an engine flush done next time you change oil.
Old 2nd September 2009, 02:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
....135 with the TCIC engine ? There's a mistake somewhere here. That TCIC engine is rated to go only 125 even when mounted in the lighter-by-300-kg Sumo (at full payload). At 2150kg + 300kg load, you would not be able to touch 135.....
I think that is quite possible.

The TCIC Safari had a rated top speed of 130-140kmph, IIRC. Of course, it wouldnt be able to reach that speed as quickly as the 3.0 DICOR.
I remember seeing it in the RVM, closing in on me rapidly and overtaking me comfortably, when I was doing 110-115kmph.

The TCIC engine would have definitely been re-tuned for the Sumo.
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I doubht it. The power specs are the same for both and hence the TCIC Sumo does faster 0=60/100 than the Safari since it is lighter. Tata's are such idiots to put that engine in their flagship product for so long. Guess they did it as a favor to Mahindra.
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Blue Thunder : I think that is quite possible.

The TCIC Safari had a rated top speed of 130-140kmph, IIRC. Of course, it wouldnt be able to reach that speed as quickly as the 3.0 DICOR.
I remember seeing it in the RVM, closing in on me rapidly and overtaking me comfortably, when I was doing 110-115kmph.

@BT : wrong.
Quote:
4x4addict : I doubt it. The power specs are the same for both and hence the TCIC Sumo does faster 0=60/100 than the Safari since it is lighter.
@4x4Addict is correct on this. The TCIC Sumo is my primary & almost only drive, and I know the specs of the TCIC Sumo & the TCIC Safari. There is no re-tuning in the Sumo, unlike with the Safari 2.2 vs Grande.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:20   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Tata's are such idiots to put that engine in their flagship product for so long. Guess they did it as a favor to Mahindra.

The 483 was the only 'refined' engine they had at that time. Imagine if they had launched the Safari with the 497 engine minus the DiCOR

A Spacious SUV!
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpatrol View Post
How do i get a compression test done ?

When the engine temp is at 1/4, as soon as the AC is switched on it goes upto a little shy of the 1/2 way mark in a few mins at max . Is this normal ? does the a/c put such a load on the engine ? The rpm at idle goes from .8 to 1.2-1.3 (*1000) when the ac is switched on
Try the alternatives first, check your PM box.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats CyberPatrol

I think you need a thorough checkup and service of the beast as the later TCICs were the best of the lot and very reliable.

So visit any good TASS and i am sure this overheating problem can be resolved.

And if available, ask the TASS guys to give the service history of the vehicle so that you know whats been dont and whats not.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks