Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 12:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ford Fusion: Life Till 55K and beyond. EDIT: Sold!

Four years back I was a guy, who had not even driven a bike. I belonged to that section of population which believes every thing can be covered by two legs. Every thing to me was 10 minutes by walk; half an hour by walk .. etc. (By the way I still prefer to walk)

Once I shifted to a location from where it was not possible to go to work without a vehicle, I realized, I had no other options but to plunge into the world of automobiles. Till then I used to think why people spend 100 odd rupees to buy auto magazines? This feeling slowly started to change, as I began to devour these magazines myself for the reviews of cars which I was looking for. That much for the background.

I was planning to restrict my need to city driving and thought at best a Zen (the old Zen) would be best for me. Then people (the so called automobile experts) started giving me sermons on buying bigger cars which are premium on space/leg-room. Then I swung the other way and started looking for an SUV (Imagine a driver with a brand new DL driving a Scorpio). Somehow none of those SUVs available then (Scorpio/Tavera/Qualis) appealed me. Strictly it was only the Scorpio which could be considered. Pitched against that was the NHC (in the sedan category), which was released just some time back then. I instantly did not like the looks of NHC. The Scorpio was not giving me the right vibes to go and buy, but the high seating position was very
appealing. If at all I had bought NHC it was only because I did not like others. Not because, I liked the NHC.

It was at this juncture, Ford released the Fusion with the new Duratec Engine,1.6L and 100 BHP. It kind of combined the best of both worlds to me. It looked fresh, differentiating with good power and high seating. Although I was not sure of the mileage, and the huge price tag. When I went for the TD I did not even have a DL (I was in the process of getting one). My friend did the TD for me and I was very happy with the performance, though interiors looked dull with gray. I
did not mind this and went ahead and bought the highest end (Fusion+) but without ABS. My city driving is about 35Km daily and hence I chose early hours to beat the traffic and also to help me learn driving. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I started enjoying the empty roads and a mileage of about 14 !! This is a practice which I still follow and I consistently see mileage of about 12-14, with pseudo-highway like city driving conditions ! I saw in lot of posts people complaining of very low mileage of Fusion, but somehow I always got >12. That also may be due to my driving hours and driving style (I am not sure).

I did occasional highway driving once about 2-3 months. Distances I did were typically was not more than 300-400 km with driving not more than 7-8 hours in and around Bangalore. I never drove fast. Max was always 100, but most cases I only did 80-90. For this tactic I consistently have seem a mileage of about 15-16 with AC and 18 without AC ! Again something, that folks will be surprised about.

I never had any major issues with car but for huge spare prices. The window roll switch console was replaced for 2K, body colored bumper once repainted for 10K (Got something back from insurance), tyres (12K) and the usual service cost after 4 years (20K). I get the car serviced every 6 months (3-4K) and it has carried on well. The high driving position and clearance of the car pretty much has been my savior in Bangalore traffic, its pot-holes and uneven speed breakers. Highway driving has also been comfortable. I have done about 55K overall. I have gone to places like Ooty, Coorg, Chikmagalur, Yercaud etc etc. To sum it up, I am very satisfied with the car and hope to carry on for another 2-3 years, before I change.

Last edited by Dippy : 18th September 2009 at 13:03. Reason: formatting
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 13:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are many who tell me that the Fusion is more like a mini SUV and I can see that from your review. It has the perfect combination of space and practicality. You can drive around in it in city traffic, not worrying about it being too big and at the same time go on a vacation by road with family and luggage feeling at home on the highway as well. Those FE figures you mentioned are impressive. I like your driving style. Apart from the service costs, how has the dealer been with you overall in terms of service quality etc.

Nice review. Be sure to update it as you go along.
Old 18th September 2009, 13:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sorry I forgot to add the dealer aspects. I bought it through the Metro Ford in Bangalore. I have been using the same people for service and till date no regrets or complaints.

They have been responsible and very attentive, with timely service reminders. They have a pick-up and drop facility, which I have been using regularly and it seems to work till date.

Many times delivery may get delayed as the driver might have gone off to some other place. But I guess that happens all the times in our lives.

On the whole no complaints yet.
Old 18th September 2009, 23:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

What you mention is also something which appealed to me greatly; about the car. When you want the car to be small, you can just get into any of those by-lanes in the city. And then when you want the space for long drives, it just keeps opening up !

I did a Waynad trip with my wife and 3 month baby (on a car seat) last year. I could carry every thing right from the bathtub to the play accessories, without a pinch on the space!

At its launch it was the only guy with 15' tyres. The 198mm clearance and suspension just added to it.

I did not customize the audio greatly. I use the Ford speakers which are pretty decent, and Blaupunkt Bahamas MP34 system. They have performed decently with classic metal being played all the time !
Old 18th September 2009, 23:53   #5
BHPian

can we have some pics of your fusion? interior pics for the boot as well .
Old 20th September 2009, 21:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Now that you say, I realized that I actually have taken any snaps of the car , but for the occasional highway snaps. Waynad, Ooty Yercaud etc. I will post then soon.
Old 21st September 2009, 19:30   #7
BHPian

I happened to peep into a Fusion on my last visit to a Ford dealer and was pleasantly surprised by its huge boot space which IMO almost rivalled the Ikon's.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

On top of it you add split folding of the rear seat and you can push in queen Victoria' s throne !
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Nice review ampere. Whenever i look at FUSION , i think like "This is my NEXT car". It attracted me a lot. Keep rev..
Old 11th October 2009, 21:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I never had any major issues with car but for huge spare prices. The window roll switch console was replaced for 2K,
Hi Ampere, it's possible to repair the window switch DIY way. Pretty simple actually. The one on our car conked off on one of the long trips and was pressed to get a new one, the replacement that was shown to me looked similar and I was afraid that it may go kaput the same way as well.

Picket up a screw driver set and managed to set the thing right on the first go, here's a step by step guide. It's been almost 2 years, so far no malfunctions after the DIY. The problem lies in the spring material used within the witch which loses tension very easily over use.

Window Switch Repair - Ford Fusion | Das's Roadblog

Had posted it earlier on the Fusion Yahoo Group, if you are a member there, you probably have seen it already.

Drive safe.
Old 13th October 2009, 21:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wow! That is an amazing piece of info! If I had known it before.

You know what: we all blame the amount we pay for the lack of time we have (including me). I think it is not the time, but the curiosity and scientific temper that one possesses, which is needed to over come these issues.

Although I did try to correct it myself by trying to open it. What I saw was that the clip which makes the connection was misaligned. I thought it was broken and hence I went to the garage to get it replaced. I also thought that the whole item was a singularly moulded product. I guess I was wrong!

By way I would love to read about your car's performance and life till date. Do share.

Thanks Ampere.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:37   #12
BHPian

Well I have done 40k on my Fusion now over three years and have had a wonderful experience. The car itself is unique and runs wonderfully in the city and on the hi way. It has no boot so less space to park (but a good boot space), great power and growl, high seating copared to other cars and high ground clearance, excellent support from Ford...much better than many other car companies ( I have been with Planet Ford Pune) and so far except the silencer that developed a hole needing replacement (12k), have had no spares problem. I would recommend the petrol car that I have used to all, provided the company does not stop production because its Figo is making a debut. It gives a city average of 10-11 and a highway average of 15 with ac on all the time. I recently covered 3700 km over 12 days to Kerala -Tamil Nadu...the trip is described on the travellogues site.
Old 19th October 2009, 12:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By way I would love to read about your car's performance and life till date. Do share..
The car's been very good so far, except the usual rattle, hum and road noise, has mostly seen highways, including a Bangalore - Chennai - Bhubaneswar - Rourkela - Kolkata - Chennai - Bangalore trip with 3 days up and down travel. Overall excellent power and handling for the size.

DIYs can go both ways, but once you know that the component is beyond help, there's no harm trying. If it goes wrong, well you can always get a new one. But I normally draw a line at non-critical components.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

@shbhodeepdas
@Frequentflyer

When I bought my Fusion in 2005, I hardly saw any Fusion on road. And in those days I used to wonder, if I made a mistake. But now, no thought like that whatsoever.

I don't do real long distances. The biggest one (if I can call it one) I am planning is Munnar/Kumarakom this year end, but that too with a break in between !

Also I never drove above 80-90 and occasionally I touch 100. With this tactic I had a pretty decent mileage. 16-18 on the highway (With and Without AC).

Lets see how long Fusion can survive, now that Figo has been announced.
Old 20th October 2009, 09:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Hi Ampere, it's possible to repair the window switch DIY way. Pretty simple actually. ......here's a step by step guide. It's been almost 2 years, so far no malfunctions after the DIY. The problem lies in the spring material used within the witch which loses tension very easily over use.

Window Switch Repair - Ford Fusion | Das's Roadblog
I have just had my Baleno console misbehave. The rear left window goes down but does not go up from the driver's console. I am forced to go to the actual window and close it using the door switch. Now I feel bold enough to try a similar DIY.
Thanks shubodeepdas!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks