Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:01   #1
BHPian

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review

Hola Fellow Bhpian's,

Been waiting to pen down my review of my verna here after it crossed another milestone.

Got my Verna after lots of trouble last 8th May 2008 is when she arrived home. Dressed in real earth color a she-wolf in a humble sheep's clothing.

Since then it's been no turning back and all smiles and long miles. When needed she turns into this savage beast when provoked and at times acts like a humble puppy on the city roads. She has made me beleive that owning her was not a bad decision at all.

Now, 20,000 kms and 1 year down the line, It still handles and zooms like if it was from the production line minutes ago.

I guess this is enough of introduction on my car and get into the review.

Experience Of Ownership:

1. Power and Torque are awesome . Will scare and thrill everyone for sure. 2. the NVH levels are very low. Since i upsized to 195/60R14 Bridgestone Potenza GIII and jucied it with Nitrogen.
3. The driving comfort is good.
4. Handling is good, after the upsize.
5. The gear shift was smooth and there was a light tick sound while shifting and i liked it.
6. Braking is excellent thanks to all round discs.
7. Build quality is good . No rattles.
8. When the engine is running and idle , we can hear the engine clatter sound. But once we are on the move ,does not sound like a CRDi, people think its a petrol.

Fuel Efficiency :
Gives me 18 kmpl without AC in the City and on the Highway gave me 22 without AC and this because I've touched 120 on the speedo so far.

Modification and Accessories:

1. Got the 3M 35RE Sunflim done.

2. Replaced stock tyres 185 / 70 with 195 / 60, Bridgestone Potenza GIII and filled it with nitrogen.

3. ICE Setup:

Pioneer 6050 HU
Infinity Reference serise and componet set

4. Autocop

5. Ganesh Idol to keep the beast, me and passengers safe druing travel.

6. Upgraded to 90W/100W Philips Bulbs with ceramic Holders and Relay from Roots and now trying out Wurth bulbs.

7. Changed the horn to Bosh[Skoda type] works well, even the bus and lorries give way. Autos move to the side without out a fuss.

8. Added a Sporty Rear Spoiler to match the sport badge.

Performance and ride quality:

Driving has been a total pleasure.

The gear shifts are extremely smooth and the torque delivery is too good even at lower gears the beast seems just rushing to go even without any rev. Even a small push to the accelerator zooms the vehicle forward and that feels good, though chances of doing that in peak Bangalore traffic are rare.

Ride quality is pretty good,Turing radius is very comfortable for Bangalore roads.

Interiors:
I felt the interiors are good, the car is inviting. Seating in the front is extremely comfortable with lumbar support. Have put up OVION art leather.

What I did not like was the way the AC vents were designed, no doubt the AC is very powerful and cools the car in a instant, the driver, hardly gets any of that, The AC vents are blocked by the steering wheel and if I need to feel the AC, I need to lean towards the left a bit so that i can get to cool my face. AC from the vents hit the steering wheel and cool your hande only.

Has anyone else faced this???? I guess Hyundai need to work on the AC vent design on the Verna, Found the Elentra and Getz AC vents to be much better.

Exteriors:
Not much to talk about exteriors except that the Fog Lights are not well designed and do not provide any use and are just a show stuff, turning them on does not make any difference as they hardly provide any light on the road. One need to get down and walk up to the front to see if they are switched on.

Added a Sport metal badge which created a buzz where ever I go, lots of Verna guys, pull up and ask me, "What's the Sport version all about and when did it get launched and whats new in it"

Brakes:

Thanks to me sticking on to ABS, the disc's on all four tries are really effective and were a boon during the heavy rains, on the outer ring road.

Sad to know that Hyundai now has stopped providing read disc's on all variants of verna. Big Mistake.....

Thanks to all for reading through and I also thank all of my fellow t-bhpian's for recommending me towards Verna. I am loving every minute of it.

Been sticking on to Shell diesel since I have got the car.

Next upgrade will be the front grill, adding a black mesh will make the car look more aggressive.

Thanks to condor who ha been helping out each time i buzz him on the car.

For the next serive planning to get mobile 1 oil into the beast's heart.

I hope the Pics posted will do the rest of the talking.

Regards,
Sajan.
Attached Thumbnails
My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00022.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00018.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00033.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00037.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00038.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00039.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00040.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00041.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00045.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00047.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00049.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00051.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00052.jpg  

My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-dsc00057.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 22:19   #2
BHPian

Team-Bhp sticker and Verna Sport spoiler
My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-picture-045.jpg

Standing tall.....
My RoadRunner Verna 20000kms+year down review-picture-113.jpg
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the car sajan. Check out the body kit which hyundai is offfering for the verna now, looks real nice.

Btw, the roadrunner name is already taken!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

Just kiddin mate. lookin forward to more updates!
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
congrats on the car sajan. Check out the body kit which hyundai is offfering for the verna now, looks real nice.

Btw, the roadrunner name is already taken!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

Just kiddin mate. lookin forward to more updates!

Oppps sorry about that. I did check out the kit but 40k for that kit is way too expensive as we can the same kit outside for a lesser price.
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey sajands, its a lovely experience that you have penned down there. and the car seems to be well maintained.

Shell diesel is premium diesel , i would recommend that you shift back to normal diesel as this affects the fuel pump operation on the long run.
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hey sajands, its a lovely experience that you have penned down there. and the car seems to be well maintained.

Shell diesel is premium diesel , i would recommend that you shift back to normal diesel as this affects the fuel pump operation on the long run.
Thanks Hellstar. As far as i am aware, shell offers only normal diesel priced at 37 and some change per liter.

Other fule brand would be IOC that suites verna best.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Thanks Hellstar. As far as i am aware, shell offers only normal diesel priced at 37 and some change per liter.

Other fule brand would be IOC that suites verna best.
just have a check with them , i remember checking this out and the diesel they dispense is premium diesel IMHO.

Why not BP Speed ? or HP Turbojet ? any specific reason why you stick to IOC?
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
just have a check with them , i remember checking this out and the diesel they dispense is premium diesel IMHO.

Found the engine much smoother with IOC and shell compared to HP or BP. Will check today evening when i go to shell bunk in lavell road.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Found the engine much smoother with IOC and shell compared to HP or BP. Will check today evening when i go to shell bunk in lavell road.
True, IOC normal diesel suits this engine best. BP and HP diesels increase the smoke and FE is reduced by a margin. At least this is what I have observed.
Never tried shell though. Not available here in Delhi.

@sajands: Nice report mate! I have a similar monster as yours and mine has done a shade above 37K kms in these two years.
Any issues with 195/60 on stock rims?

Last edited by live2drive : 23rd September 2009 at 10:40.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Any issues with 195/60 on stock rims?
Hi Live2drive,

So far no issues with stock rims and the upsize. handles very well. Only concern is the Fog lights which are . looking for an upgrade.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Try adjusting the beam. Hyundai A.S.S. did it for me and the fog lamps are doing decent job now. The throw has increased by a decent amount.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Try adjusting the beam. Hyundai A.S.S. did it for me and the fog lamps are doing decent job now. The throw has increased by a decent amount.
Did that, still not that happy with the throw of the beam. Planning to juggle with the bulbs and see if I can slip in a slight higer wattages
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very very nice photos.

I guess you & me have the same sort of running. I bought my Verna in June 08 and have just done 21k on the odo this week.

The only difference is my verna is absolutely stock - and by that I mean I have not even bothered to put any Ice / Seat Covers, nothing at all except Rubber Mats over the Carpet ones and a Idol.

People laugh at me when I tell them this BUT it does not bother me. I like it this way. On long drives my I Pod does the job.

There is one changes that I am going to do however is put 195 tyres with Lenso Alloys once my car does 30k. That's one thing I really want.

By the way that is a real nice spolier - how much did it cost ??
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Did that, still not that happy with the throw of the beam. Planning to juggle with the bulbs and see if I can slip in a slight higer wattages
The fog lamp bulbs are H27/881. The stock bulbs are a pain to source in the market, let alone higher wattage bulbs.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Very very nice photos.
By the way that is a real nice spolier - how much did it cost ??
Thanks Vkochar,

the spoiler with painting costed me 3k in whole. Got it sourced from blueraven316. Next will be to change the front grill into a complete mesh.

I am still running 195 on stock rims.

Last edited by sajands : 23rd September 2009 at 12:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks