Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 21:30   #451

re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Five years and 1,16,000 km later, the Hawk-On-Fours®' air-conditioner went into **limp mode**. For the last two weeks, the cooling dropped while a whistling sound started emanating from the system at low RPM - very indicative of a gas leak.
Hi SS- Traveler, I read your entire ownership experience, it was very detailed and good to diagnose Scorpio some how. My query to you is I have experienced similar kind of issue for my AC, wherein I heard a hissing sound from the AC vent and its not cooling any more. It doesn't feel that the AC is started when it was pushed. What could be the problem and shall I take my car to same shop as I live in South Delhi or any other place you can recomend.

Scorpio LX 2012- ODO 27500 KMS.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th January 2019 at 12:12. Reason: Fixing broken quotes.
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:12   #452
BHPian

Same problem with my car . You have to change a component which will cost app 19K inr . For this they will rip apart the entire dashboard of your Scorpio . Will share my Scorpio pictures tomorrow
Old 4th April 2016, 08:00   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wars n cars th View Post
I have experienced
similar kind of issue for my AC, wherein I heard a hissing sound from the AC vent and its not cooling any more. It doesn't feel that the AC is started when it was pushed. What could be the problem and shall I take my car to same shop as I live in South Delhi or any other place you can recomend.

Scorpio LX 2012- ODO 27500 KMS.
Sure, you can take it to the same AC shop (Cooldays at Lajpat Nagar, listed in the directory section). There has obviously been a gas leak, but he would be the best person to determine where the leak is.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 21:13   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-150000.jpg

This came up on 9 January 2017 at Kolkata, and H-4® continues to run trouble-free, touch wood.

On this 3700-km run (including city running in Kolkata and a diversion to Shantiniketan), the H-4® performed like it hasn't for a long time - thanks to the availability of Reliance diesel all along the NH2 (now called NH19 / AH1). The engine runs smoother, accelerates much better, and FE has improved a bit - at one time I calculated >13.5 kmpl, but am yet to calculate the overall FE. In addition, the last two oil changes have been with Unocal76 CH4 grade oil, which I suspect has also contributed to the feel-good factor.

And the NGT wants this car dead and scrapped in another 2 years and 9 months.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th January 2017 at 21:29.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 11:55   #455
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the NGT wants this car dead and scrapped in another 2 years and 9 months.
I borrowed a relative's 2006 Scorpio 2.6 (Pre-M-Hawk) during a recent short trip in December. Had seen this one in the family for a long time, but got to drive it for the first time. The moment I turned the key I noticed the ODO which was at 1,99,670 Km.

This silent mile muncher was as good as any current car as far as the drive train is concerned. Stable idle, responsive throttle, sure shifting gears, nice steering feel, I was quite impressed by the condition the truck was in. Have never driven any Mahindra vehicle before this, so a bit of change in perception also happened. It was fun climbing in and out and sitting in the wide cabin which made it feel like a truck.

I now understand what makes Scorpio owners love their cars.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 22:00   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I borrowed a relative's 2006 Scorpio 2.6 (Pre-M-Hawk) during a recent short trip in December.
...I noticed the ODO which was at 1,99,670 Km.

This silent mile muncher was as good as any current car as far as the drive train is concerned. Stable idle, responsive throttle, sure shifting gears, nice steering feel, I was quite impressed by the condition the truck was in.

I now understand what makes Scorpio owners love their cars.
Thanks for the appreciation of Scorpios - one of the most successful SUVs in the Indian market.

Mine has just crossed 160,000 km on 5th December 2018, which is roughly 10,000 km of running in the last two years.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20181205_20132376002.jpeg

It's been our companion on innumerable roadtrips, mostly recorded in the Travelogues section, and even now it is ready for any new journey at a moment's notice. Some really memorable ones are:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ata-delhi.html (Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ses-peace.html (3C's (Car, Camera, Corbett) minus 3C's (Cellphone, Clinics, Classes) = Peace)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...w-hunting.html (Hawk-0n-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: H-4® & QuickSilver Go Snow-Hunting)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...icksilver.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...deeg-agra.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Of Forests (Sariska) & History (Siliserh, Deeg, Agra))
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...manikaran.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Jari, Malana, Kasol & Manikaran)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-ranakpur.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Kumbhalgarh & Ranakpur)
and of course, numerous trips to Kolkata: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ll-detail.html (Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail)

However, sadly, the time has come for me to let go of the vehicle, and I have been looking for a new home for H-4®. Anyone interested in the car is welcome to ping me, and I'd rather it goes to someone who would appreciate it as well as I do, and would put it to the best use possible for such a reliable vehicle - even if that someone is at another end of the country. H-4® can and will be driven to be delivered to its new home, as we have done for our beloved Swift in October last year (Call of Kamakhya: Our emotional 2000 km Delhi-Guwahati Swift run).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th January 2019 at 22:08.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:29   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, I've put up the Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail up for sale.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-sale/61136/

The past weekend was spent repairing & painting most of the minor scratches and the misaligned front bumper, some rubbing and polishing, and overhauling the suspension. The rear dampers were leaking slightly and were replaced, as were the bushes front and rear - followed by wheel alignment & balancing. A new pair of fog lamps went in (the old ones were all hazy).

Some pics:

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190122_140644201.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190122_143028289.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190122_143551627_hdr.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190122_143601590.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190122_144331001_hdr.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img_20190123_150740.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:16   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hawk has flown away...

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img20190220wa0028.jpg

Our steed was with us a little over 9 years and 4 months, and had been instrumental in getting us to places that lesser cars can only dream of going to. It was certainly saddening to part with it, but once the car completes 10 years (as per manufacturing month, i.e. 9/2009, not the registration date which is 15/10/2019), the government would have forced me to send it to the scrapyard - I would not have been able to procure a PUC certificate, I would not have got a NOC to transfer it to another state, and the registration would have been cancelled with a letter to me.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img20190220wa0029.jpg

The price I got was obviously below my expectation, but at least it was picked up by an individual buyer from PB for his personal use. He really liked the car, and raised the price about 50k from his initial offer (though I was expecting a little more ). Applied for the NOC online yesterday, and went and deposited the paperwork this morning. Things went pretty smoothly at the RTO and I was out of there in 15 minutes.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-img20190220wa0030.jpg

The LTD sticker on the rear windscreen was removed (not in intact condition), though the IDS sticker on the rear door stays - it cannot be removed without paint damage after all these years.

Thus ends the saga of the Hawk-On-Fours®.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st February 2019 at 11:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:23   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Our steed was with us a little over 9 years and 4 months, and had been instrumental in getting us to places that lesser cars can only dream of going to.

Oh man! That's a sad sight. But hey, at least you found a new home for your white horse.

The alternative seems plainly cruel - the scrapyard...speaking of which, would you know if India has mechanized scrapping yet? The kind which was used by the villain in Gone in 60 seconds, to crush victims inside a car?

Because on my daily commutes, I drive past a manual scrapping place of sorts. I've seen decrepit Fiat Unos and Maruti 800s getting taken apart one pull or hammer blow at a time. That's no way for a car to go.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:34   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Oh man! That's a sad sight. But hey, at least you found a new home for your white horse.
Yes, probably tilling a field soon.
Quote:
...the scrapyard...speaking of which, would you know if India has mechanized scrapping yet?
I've seen decrepit Fiat Unos and Maruti 800s getting taken apart one pull or hammer blow at a time. That's no way for a car to go.
Nothing of that sort exists in the Delhi-NCR region at least, as far as I know. OTOH, the unorganised scrapping / scavenging sector has always been a huge business spread all over the country, where usable parts are reused as cheap replacements for those that don't want to spend a bomb for major parts or where specific parts are not available for discontinued cars. There are scrapping units in Delhi that sell used (salvaged) parts from scrapped cars to places as far away as Kerala, Bangladesh and Nepal.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:09   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Commiserations!

So what's next to fillup the void in the heart by H4?

Quote:
The alternative seems plainly cruel - the scrapyard...speaking of which, would you know if India has mechanized scrapping yet? The kind which was used by the villain in Gone in 60 seconds, to crush victims inside a car?

There was a ET article on the vehicle scrapping problem that we are staring. Present state of the industry and the very few players.

Details here https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67918694.cms

Last edited by ampere : 21st February 2019 at 12:19. Reason: back to back posts merged.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 13:00   #462
BHPian

I clicked on the ‘New Posts’ tab at 12:15 PM today and saw your thread on top. Immediately, I presumed for this information before opening the thread.
We all have some nice memories with these 4x4s (in the form of travelogues).
I am happy that tsk1979's Safari and your mHawk didn’t scraped and are in use for someone.

Quote:

Our steed was with us a little over 9 years and 4 months, and had been instrumental in getting us to places that lesser cars can only dream of going to. It was certainly saddening to part with it,
The farewell of Thar is also not too far away (2021 first half max).

Last edited by aah78 : 21st February 2019 at 18:51. Reason: Post fixed for readability.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st February 2019, 19:55   #463
BANNED

Quote:
1.6 lac km was prolly 50% of what it could have easily done with regular upkeep and sensible driving but....

Which makes me think: -

1. If the 10 year rule extends to all metros, which comprise of at least 50% of all the cars sold, will the salaried, normal salaried customer see the point in buying a premium diesel vehicle?

2. What will be the strategy of OEMs which currently play in the 15 lac plus segment when they see sales dropping due to the 10yr ban?

Are brands like Toyota which take pride in "vehicles outliving their owners" even relevant in this context?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:14   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If the 10 year rule extends to all metros, will the salaried, normal salaried customer see the point in buying a premium diesel vehicle?
Are brands like Toyota which take pride in "vehicles outliving their owners" even relevant in this context?
The ruling in NCR can easily get extended to other cities; just that there isn't as much noise on pollution in other cities as in the NCR.

Me thinks Bengaluru will be the next target.

On the lifespan of cars, I think, like insurance, the yearly or 2 year tax collection should resume, and scrupulous pollution checks should be the only way to determine if a vehicle passes or fails, irrespective of age.

I know this is hard to implement but it works successfully in UAE and the USA.

At least responsible owners like @Manuuj and @SS- Traveller won't feel shortchanged like now.

Toyota has already proved, with the several issues reported in the Crysta, that their build is a pale shadow of the Toyota upto 2008.

The other way of arguing for "vehicles outliving owners" is that the lifespan of owners is also reducing.

@SS-Traveller : Doc, What next? What car?

Last edited by vigsom : 30th March 2019 at 10:18. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks