Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 16:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)

Having completed nearly 22000kms in the last 14 months , I am quite happy with my car . I had acquired her nearly a year and two months back when she had around 78,000 on ODO.

Since then this car has been like a typical Indian wife . Faithful , reliable and not wanting anything in return . Now is that an Indian wife ? Well its a subject of debate .

The car has been self serviced as she is been taken care of really well apart from occasional burst of Kama-Kazee driving.
She has been returning mileage from 9kmpl - 17 kmpl depending on the driving style.

She has done a top speed of 190Kmph.Handling the car was scary at times as her previous pair of shoes simply couldn't handle her speed. Hence I changed her shoes into Goodyear Ventura 185/65R14 . The overall diameter of the tyre has increased a bit . I have been running on Shell oil (non synthetic) . Ever since I shifted to shell,she has been running a wee bit smoother.

Problems
  • High speed stability of the car is average.
  • Suspension is a bit on the harder side hence,ride is not great.
  • Driving at higher RPM brings down the mileage big time.
  • The seats are not very supportive.
Attached Thumbnails
Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide1.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide2.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide3.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide4.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide5.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide6.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide7.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide8.jpg  

Crush to Girlfriend to Wife - A journey (OHC - Type II review 98000Kms)-slide9.jpg  

Last edited by maxbhp : 15th October 2009 at 16:50.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats one neatly maintained OHC!! Well done!!

I know what you mean about high speed stability. When i got mine, it had stock size tyres. After i upgraded to 195/55R15s, things got a LOT better.

EDIT: Is the car in Delhi? I am a bit confused by the DL registration and your location

Last edited by amitoj : 15th October 2009 at 16:58.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sweet looking car maxbhp. You have really cared for her well. Congratulations on nearing the 1 lakh km mark. I am sure she not does feel like 1L km old. How much have you spent on service and other things over the past year that you've had her apart from the tyre and alloy upgrade? I agree with you on the high speed stability though my Yokohama 195/50 15s have helped a great deal.

Is this a 1.5 or 1.3?

Last edited by Dippy : 15th October 2009 at 16:57.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats one neatly maintained OHC!! Well done!!

I know what you mean about high speed stability. When i got mine, it had stock size tyres. After i upgraded to 195/55R15s, things got a LOT better.

EDIT: Is the car in Delhi? I am a bit confused by the DL registration and your location
Thanks Amit. Am presntly in Delhi..Upgrading to Ventura has been the perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Sweet looking car maxbhp. You have really cared for her well. Congratulations on nearing the 1 lakh km mark. I am sure she not does feel like 1L km old. How much have you spent on service and other things over the past year that you've had her apart from the tyre and alloy upgrade? I agree with you on the high speed stability though my Yokohama 195/50 15s have helped a great deal.

Is this a 1.5 or 1.3?
Thanks Dippy.She doesnt at all feel like an old car.I have serviced her twice at dealerships which costed me around 3K each though no major parts were changed though oil has been changed by me nearly 3 times.

I have removed all the badges as I prefer the clean look. Its a 1.5 exi.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thats a well kept car i say! Keep her shining!

OHC suspension gets weak by 75k kms, so an overhaul and replacement of shocks and springs can bring back the new feel. If you are upto some spending look at shockie upgrades, will give you a better high speed handling and overall feel.

Cheers
Jaggu
Old 15th October 2009, 17:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Neat looking city. Doesn't look like a car that has clocked 1L. Did you buy it new?

Oops, sorry. I read you had picked it up at 78K. Did you have it painted? Looks astoundingly well maintained.

Last edited by beejay : 15th October 2009 at 18:00. Reason: oops...
Old 15th October 2009, 19:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Thanks Amit. Am presntly in Delhi..Upgrading to Ventura has been the perfect for me.
Thats even great man! Delhi is probably the toughest city to maintain a car!
Old 16th October 2009, 09:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thats a well kept car i say! Keep her shining!

OHC suspension gets weak by 75k kms, so an overhaul and replacement of shocks and springs can bring back the new feel. If you are upto some spending look at shockie upgrades, will give you a better high speed handling and overall feel.

Cheers
Jaggu
Thanks , I will be changing the existing shocks to KONI or PEDDERS .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Neat looking city. Doesn't look like a car that has clocked 1L. Did you buy it new?

Oops, sorry. I read you had picked it up at 78K. Did you have it painted? Looks astoundingly well maintained.
Thank you , no its not repainted. I use waxpol once in a month to get the shine back on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats even great man! Delhi is probably the toughest city to maintain a car!
Thanks.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car looks fantastic after 98k kms.

Do you stay in Gr. Noida ?
Old 16th October 2009, 19:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The car looks fantastic after 98k kms.

Do you stay in Gr. Noida ?
Thanks , yup I stay in Greater Noida.
Old 17th October 2009, 01:06   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Max thats a really well maintained gem Love the color...
Old 17th October 2009, 01:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats one sweet maintained ride!! I will be lucky if my ride looks half as good when it touches the lakh mark- Congrats

What else is ticking inside her- mods- filters, headers, what?!!
Old 17th October 2009, 09:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Max thats a really well maintained gem Love the color...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thats one sweet maintained ride!! I will be lucky if my ride looks half as good when it touches the lakh mark- Congrats

What else is ticking inside her- mods- filters, headers, what?!!
Thanks , Just K&N stock repacement filters. Will be putting a remus end can and stiffer suspension soon.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:24   #14
BHPian

Jeez, that is a sweet ride. I totally aggree with other members that she does not look like she has done 1L kms on Delhi roads. You are doing a great job with Waxpol.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:09   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sweet looking ride, Maxbhp. I drive an OHC myself. While it hasn't gotten close to the 1.0 lakh km mark yet, I'm pretty sure she will go on strong to 1.5 - 2.0 lakh kms on the odo.

Quote:
The car has been self serviced as she is been taken care of really well apart from occasional burst of Kama-Kazee driving.
That's precisely why she is serving you well. OHC's require minimum maintenance. Important to take care of that and they go on forever.

Quote:
Handling the car was scary at times as her previous pair of shoes simply couldn't handle her speed.
I hear you on her high speed stability (or lack of). This car's behaviour at 150 kph is outdated by todays standards. Plus, she doesn't really have any safety features to speak of. Best to take it easy on expressways. I got my suspension overhauled, and am running 205 Yokos, the high speed behaviour still leaves a lot to be desired. That said, as Jaggu posted, its probably a good idea for you to have the suspension checked up (would have worn out by now).

While you are at it, change the timing belt too. Costs barely 800 bucks. OHC's need a new one around the 1.0 lakh mark (though I changed mine at about 70K. Preventive maintenance).

Quote:
Will be putting a remus end can and stiffer suspension soon.
For the cost of a remus muffler, you could get a complete free flow kit installed. I'd say entire free flow assembly.

Most Viewed