Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 17:30   #1
BHPian

Ford Endeavour 4x2

Now guy this is my first time here so please excuse if something goes wrong.

Cant be actually called as a long time review but just a feel of owning,driving this beast.

Exteriors - I just love the looks of this old model.Diamond White color and the hugeness of the car is quite a head turner.I somehow don't like the new ones,i find them ugly.

Interiors - The interiors are not that appealing.No climate control,no great speedometers no nothing. The interiors look dull even after polishing.

Engine - The engine of the current model i own is called underpowered compared to other suv's but i never felt so maybe because i haven't driven many.Turn on the engine n the car shakes wildly for a sec or so and then its silent,silent than most of the Tata cars.Put her in first gear leaving the clutch slowly accelerating the same time and you are pushed back on the seat.You hear the engine and the turbo growl.The most interesting part was the clutching and de-clutching.I felt it was like an art on this vehicle.The slightest hurry to clutch or de-clutch results in jerks.Even leaving the accelerator suddenly would give the car a jerk.Average was 10,11km/l in the city & 14,15km/l on the highways.

Handling - Its is surely a great handler.I was a bit tensed driving it first time on how it would handle in traffic and small roads but it actually was fun,more smooth than what i had thought.My uncle says he has taken the car above 140km/h and it still feels so much in control(i never get a chance to rip it).
The ride is a little bumpy when not loaded so the rear shocks were changed to some carbon thing and there was a improvement.The sitting position is low but comfortable,my knees almost match my chest's height while sitting on the middle row seats.

Maintenance cost/Problem faced
- The maintenance cost of the car is around 3000rs including the labors and all.
The main problem faced till date was the alternator failing.It costs around 18000rs but was covered under warranty.Another problem is the air bag light flashing on the dash,they say its some sensor malfunction but haven't yet solved it.Overall the service is very good.Call them up reporting a break down and their mechanic comes down to you in a ikon with all the tools.Call them up for servicing your car and a drive comes to pick your car & leaves it back perfectly with some little additional charges.

Video -

A video of me trying to rip the car,but Indian roads you see.

Some snaps
-
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 4x2-1.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 4x2-2.jpg  

Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2009, 09:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

I call the Endeavour the Incredible Hulk of Indian SUV. If you want that macho feel this is the one for you. Nice review Neil. Which model of the Endy do you own? The 2.5 Turbo or the 3.0 TDCI? I have driven a 4x4 model at one of Ford's promotional event and I was quite impressed with the way it handled the 4x4 terrain. However leaf spring suspension on the Endy is a total downer and it does affect the ride in a big way IMO. Can you tell more about the 'carbon' thing you added to the rear shocks?

Keep the updates coming in and drive safe.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:39   #3
BHPian

Finally after 106 views i get a reply. Yuppie

Thanks Dippy,You are absolutely right.The car handles so well but the rear leaf spring suspension just spoils the FUN.Its fine with 4,5 people in the car but again the middle row people have their knees above chest sort of sitting position which is really uncomfortable.This is the 2.5 turbo model & about the "carbon thing" i just forgot to edit it.The car is mostly driven by my uncle & he had claimed of doing some tweaks to the rear suspension/changed it but even i wondered what he could have done to a leaf spring suspension,never tried to ask him actually.Will try to find out & let you know.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:05   #4
BHPian

Possibly, your uncle swapped the stock leaves with the CFLs that are being discussed on other threads pertaining to gypsy/jeep mods. From what I remember, these composite fiber leaves improve the ride quality somewhat.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

The reason why you didn't get any reply IMO may be that there might not be too many BHPians who own a ford Endeavour. If it was for Safari/Scorpio then everyone would have repliied to you.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:20   #6
BHPian

BTW, is this the tdci engine or the previous generation oil burner, the one that made 115 bhp?
Also let us know what all issues you have faced with this vehicle and what has been your overall experience as far as reliability, ease and cost of maintenance is considered.

For some reason I haven't heard too many negative things about the endeavour except the ride and middle seats.

Last edited by Astleviz : 16th November 2009 at 16:22.
Old 16th November 2009, 18:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
The reason why you didn't get any reply IMO may be that there might not be too many BHPians who own a ford Endeavour. If it was for Safari/Scorpio then everyone would have repliied to you.

But there are quite a lot owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
BTW, is this the tdci engine or the previous generation oil burner, the one that made 115 bhp?
Also let us know what all issues you have faced with this vehicle and what has been your overall experience as far as reliability, ease and cost of maintenance is considered.

For some reason I haven't heard too many negative things about the endeavour except the ride and middle seats.
Yes this is the old 115 bhp engine.No major issues except Alternator Failing & Air bag light blinking(some sensor problem).

The car was ones driven on some very bad,water logged road in heavy rains,after that trip the alternator failed.The Air bag light glowing issue still exists.

About reliability - No issues at all,takes on any terrain with full confidence,we just cant doubt the reliability.

Maintenance part - People think FORD cars are very costly to maintain but it costs us around 3000 every servicing.Now many people may doubt that so here are the values as given on the bill -

PARTS
Battery water - 6.97
Oil filter - 426.91
Oilend(oil change i guess) - 1,227.74

Labour & services
Front wheel alignment - 416
50,000km services - 182
Cons consumables - 125

TOTAL
Parts - 1662.62
Labour & services - 723
Service tax @ 12.36 - 89.37
VAT on parts @ 12.5 - 207.70
Round off - 0.32

GRAND total - 2,682 rs
Old 16th November 2009, 18:22   #8
BHPian

Hi Neil:

Great looking Endeavour. From what you say, I guess you are having the older model which I agree has a better looking front. The new model(TDCI) is much more refined. The jerk is absent and heavy vibration you find while starting the engine will be very minimal. The interiors are very nice too.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Hi Neil:

Great looking Endeavour. From what you say, I guess you are having the older model which I agree has a better looking front. The new model(TDCI) is much more refined. The jerk is absent and heavy vibration you find while starting the engine will be very minimal. The interiors are very nice too.
Thanks joshdrive,yes this is the old model.This model really has sad interiors.

Planning to sell this & get the new Endeavor.Lets see nothing fixed yet.
Fingers crossed
Old 16th November 2009, 20:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Thanks joshdrive,yes this is the old model.This model really has sad interiors.

Planning to sell this & get the new Endeavor.Lets see nothing fixed yet.
Fingers crossed

Hi : The lastet model launched this year has lot of features like climate control,Navigation, Touch screen for audio control and much more. And the front design has been modified and it looks more like the one you have now..
Old 16th November 2009, 22:43   #11
BHPian

Have you ever driven it in the mountains? Does it feel underpowered while climbing up steep slopes? What about turbo lag?
Old 17th November 2009, 08:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ Neil: Thats a nice review. I'm actually quite surprised at the low service cost. As a matter of fact servicing a Scropio costs more than that. As about the rear carbon thing, I definitely think it would be CFL. Lot of old gen Scorpio owners have also fitted the same.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Maintenance part - People think FORD cars are very costly to maintain but it costs us around 3000 every servicing.Now many people may doubt that so here are the values as given on the bill -

PARTS
Battery water - 6.97
Oil filter - 426.91
Oilend(oil change i guess) - 1,227.74

Labour & services
Front wheel alignment - 416
50,000km services - 182
Cons consumables - 125

TOTAL
Parts - 1662.62
Labour & services - 723
Service tax @ 12.36 - 89.37
VAT on parts @ 12.5 - 207.70
Round off - 0.32

GRAND total - 2,682 rs
I Have owened an Ikon And my servicing costs Used to be in the range of 3000 to 3500.

I think in the Bill that you mentioned its just showing engine oil change and oil filter change, other consumables like Air filter and Diesel Fuel filter are not there hence the Lower cost.

Nice and insightfull review
Old 17th November 2009, 13:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Have you ever driven it in the mountains? Does it feel underpowered while climbing up steep slopes? What about turbo lag?
Dint drive it on mountains and all but it climbs effortlessly on inclined roads.About the turbo lag it is present but we cant make it out unless we floor the accelerator,i mean the way i drive i accelerate very slowly so it really cant be felt like other diesel sedans where you can easily feel the turbo kick in .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Neil: Thats a nice review. I'm actually quite surprised at the low service cost. As a matter of fact servicing a Scropio costs more than that. As about the rear carbon thing, I definitely think it would be CFL. Lot of old gen Scorpio owners have also fitted the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I Have owened an Ikon And my servicing costs Used to be in the range of 3000 to 3500.

I think in the Bill that you mentioned its just showing engine oil change and oil filter change, other consumables like Air filter and Diesel Fuel filter are not there hence the Lower cost.

Nice and insightfull review
Thanks Guys.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Neil, thanks for sharing your review with us.

I somehow do not like the first version of this SUV. The front looks were too ordinary, interiors were too basic for the price it was sold at and the accelerator had to be pinned to floor to maintain higher speeds plus FE was nothing worth mentioning.

The faclifted version got way much better looks, a smart high quality modern looking dashboard that didnt look like the one from qualis and introduction of TCDi engines meant peppy performance and better FE.

Ive been on highway drives on this first version Endeavour, FE surely is way below 14-15 even when driven with less agression(though its painful given lack of power).

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th November 2009 at 13:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks