Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 21:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm looking for a used car in Trivandrum. I saw a mid-2004 model Elantra CRDi which had done around 78K. It belonged to a jewelry shop owner, and was most likely chauffeur driven. Car looks good, no shunts, it seems. The last service was at 73K.

What kind of expenses can I expect? I will cover about 8-9K a year, mostly on highway and I'll likely be keeping this for about 5 years. Will the engine hold? How costly is a routine service, and what is the service interval? How long will the tyres last? Are there any particular issues that I should watch out for? The price asked is 4.5L, which I feel is too expensive. What would be a realistic price so that I can bargain? Not concerned about resale at all, but maintenance should be low.
At 78k the car might be too close to Clutch and Suspension ovehaul. Since you do just 7-8k per year i would recommend you to buy some other petrol car as Diesels best suited to high mileage users.

Elantra CRDi engine is good for 2lakh+ kms, i dont know about petrol.

Tires on my Diesel last around 40k with really spirited driving at times.

I dont know what are the resale prices for Elantra right now and that too down south.
Old 14th February 2010, 00:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At 78k the car might be too close to Clutch and Suspension ovehaul. Since you do just 7-8k per year i would recommend you to buy some other petrol car as Diesels best suited to high mileage users.

Elantra CRDi engine is good for 2lakh+ kms, i dont know about petrol.

Tires on my Diesel last around 40k with really spirited driving at times.

I dont know what are the resale prices for Elantra right now and that too down south.
Thanks, anshuman. The primary reason low mileage users are recommended petrol cars is because of the huge difference in initial price. But this is a used car, and petrol models weren't sold as much. I think it makes sense to go for a diesel because there's no premium being asked. A diesel would mean lower fuel costs for me, without any extra amount.

I'll check is the 73K service included clutch/suspension overhaul. The previous owner probably did the irregular (73 not 75K) service for some issues, and hopefully, the overhaul has already been done. The next scheduled service is at 100K, I think.

I'm thinking of quoting 4 lakhs for it. It's either this or a 2008 Indigo CS DiCOR LS which has run 26K.
Old 14th February 2010, 00:51   #33
Team-BHP Support

Anshuman, a few questions -

- You drive 50,000 kms a year! Why/How? Do you realize that you can get to your destination by train/flight/bus too?

- Do diesel engines too have 'timing belt'? It was not replaced on the elantra at 80,000 or 100,000 kms?

- You still seem to be running on stock alloys even after 130,000 kms. That's amazing quality. Do check if the alloys have been bent out of shape when you get the wheels balanced.

- I've seen some elantra diesels with horizontal rubber-type grill (instead of your vertical grill). See if you can get the Hyundai dealer to replace the grill, horizontal grill definitely looks better.

- Don't you get worried that the car might breakdown on the highways, when you are taking your family with you? I always have this nagging 'what if' feeling.
Old 14th February 2010, 09:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Anshuman, a few questions -

- You drive 50,000 kms a year! Why/How? Do you realize that you can get to your destination by train/flight/bus too?

- Do diesel engines too have 'timing belt'? It was not replaced on the elantra at 80,000 or 100,000 kms?

- You still seem to be running on stock alloys even after 130,000 kms. That's amazing quality. Do check if the alloys have been bent out of shape when you get the wheels balanced.

- I've seen some elantra diesels with horizontal rubber-type grill (instead of your vertical grill). See if you can get the Hyundai dealer to replace the grill, horizontal grill definitely looks better.

- Don't you get worried that the car might breakdown on the highways, when you are taking your family with you? I always have this nagging 'what if' feeling.
I do travel a lot, thats the reason i buy diesel cars. Public transportation is inconvinient and pathetic in India.

Elantra has a timing belt, it needs to be changed at 80,000kms

The stock alloys are in perfect condition with no bends or other problems. Yes i always get the alloys inspected.

The horizontal grill and blackened headlamps were offered for first few months, they were later changed to like the ones in my car. I find this set very good and find no good reason to replace them.

I get my car checked thoroughly checked at every service and i do preventive maintainance when required so i dont think any car stops working without a reason.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:48   #35
BHPian

Very nice descriptions and pictures. And you have a really well maintained car, I must say. In my opinion, the Elantra CRDi was the most under-rated car in India. The equipment list was long enough to put much costlier cars to shame. Have driven it only once and let me tell you, if it was in production, it would have been surely my next car.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

anshuman, your report reminds of tadukuttan.
The best Diesel car with great handling, features & bullet proof engines.
Good A$$ even after the car being discontinued.

My bad, I still repent on missing a good deal of Elantra.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 19th February 2010 at 11:55.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning the lights in the meter started blinking and the starter did not respond when i tried to start my Elantra, the culprit was dead battery. I called up my Service advisor he asked me to start the car by Jump start or by Push start if jump starting was not an option. I tried Jump starting via our Scorpio but the wires we use for Jump starting our cars fell short, so the only option was push start.

I took the car to Superon Hyundai to get the car checked. A quick test of battery confirmed the Battery was gone, two cells had zero gravity. They had both Exide and Amaron in stock but the prices were on high side close to Rs.7k. My trusted service advisor suggested me to buy a battery from outside as it will be considerably cheaper compared to Hyundai ASC.

The Service advisor was correct, the Amaron dealer asked 4.5k for the same battery. I opted for a battery with lesser duration warranty, the dealer asked 3.5k i paid 3k for Amaron Black battery with 18months warranty. Now the car is running normal with new battery. I opted for lower warranty as i wont keep this car another couple of years.

Next time you go shopping for battery remember to negotiate hard, it worked well for me.

Every time i visit a Hyundai dealer i feel very good for the kind of service support they provide, more so after my visits to Tata-Fiat service center. I would love to buy a Hyundai to replace my Elantra, but sadly they are not serious about cars beyond 6lakhs. Hyundai we need the new Sonata and Tuscon ASAP, i am a customer.
Old 24th March 2010, 03:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Is this the first battery change? How many has she clocked on this battery?
Old 24th March 2010, 04:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Every time i visit a Hyundai dealer i feel very good for the kind of service support they provide, more so after my visits to Tata-Fiat service center. I would love to buy a Hyundai to replace my Elantra, but sadly they are not serious about cars beyond 6lakhs. Hyundai we need the new Sonata and Tuscon ASAP, i am a customer.
That speaks very highly of Hyundai service, I was glad to hear that. The new Sonata is really good, i am not sure whether Hyundai would be tempted to launch it, just because the price gets too close to the Accord and the Indian buying demography can't seem to get beyond the Honda's.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:37   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Is this the first battery change? How many has she clocked on this battery?
This was second battery change, the second battery was an Exide. This battery lasted ~2.5years and ~70k Kms. My experience with Exide has always been not so great, i prefer Amaron batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
That speaks very highly of Hyundai service, I was glad to hear that.

The new Sonata is really good, i am not sure whether Hyundai would be tempted to launch it, just because the price gets too close to the Accord and the Indian buying demography can't seem to get beyond
the Honda's.
The problem is Hyundai is least concerned beyond Hatchback segment. The new Sonata even if launched at a good price will go the same way as Elantra and Sonata Embera. I was unable to TD the Sonata Transform AT even after trying for a month.

But unlike Fiat finding spares for less selling and discontinued cars does not require effort. The spares for Elantra, Tucson and Sonata are considerably cheaper than competition. The cost of owning a Skoda for comparison is several times higher.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:11   #41
BHPian

Hey Anshuman....thanx for that wonderful insight on longterm ownership of a superb car. I too have a 2005 model Elantra crdi which has clocked 92K kms and it is still a dream to drive. I love it on the highways and it kinda surprises you with its stability and well planted feel (being light comparatively) against the skoda (being much heavier).

Well my ownership off late has been pretty expensive. In the past 18 months the Clutch and radiator has been changed (25K), A/C compressor changed (34K), rear suspension overhauled (24K) apart from the regular replacements. I have spent more than a lac of rupees on it

And even as i write this, the car has gone for its 90k service and the timing belt is being replaced and so is the front suspension (it had started rattling). Estimate given is close to 60K.

Why is this happening?? Have you experienced this kinda expenditure?

Also, the service adviser stated that the rubber parts installed in the front suspension, jumping rod bush, bush on the arms and a few other packings cannot/should not be replaced alone and the whole part needs to be/should be replaced. Explanation given is that these parts are machine installed and that kinda fitment can never be achieved when they are replaced manually.

Whats you take on this?
Old 26th March 2010, 15:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Hey Anshuman....thanx for that wonderful insight on longterm ownership of a superb car. I too have a 2005 model Elantra crdi which has clocked 92K kms and it is still a dream to drive. I love it on the highways and it kinda surprises you with its stability and well planted feel (being light comparatively) against the skoda (being much heavier).
Thanks Hummer.Rulez, Even my car still drives like a new car, very surprising for korean car that has done more than 132k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
In the past 18 months the Clutch and radiator has been changed (25K), A/C compressor changed (34K), rear suspension overhauled (24K) apart from the regular replacements.

And even as i write this, the car has gone for its 90k service and the timing belt is being replaced and so is the front suspension (it had started rattling). Estimate given is close to 60K.

Why is this happening?? Have you experienced this kinda expenditure?

Also, the service adviser stated that the rubber parts installed in the front suspension, jumping rod bush, bush on the arms and a few other packings cannot/should not be replaced alone and the whole part needs to be/should be replaced. Explanation given is that these parts are machine installed and that kinda fitment can never be achieved when they are replaced manually.

Whats you take on this?
Your Service advisor is taking you for a ride, the rubber parts wear out over time so they should be changed whenever wear and tear is detected but the other parts do not need replacement unless damaged. When i got my car's suspension overhauled at 100k only one leaking strut and all rubber parts were changed, the car is doing fine with no rattles and i make sure to get the car checked at every 10k kms service.

My car's clutch was damaged at 60K along with flywheel and clutch release bearing, the car before 60k was chauffeur driven at times and the driver had a habit of riding the clutch. Now after more than 80k kms of self driving after the replacement the clutch is doing great. Ive never had to get any of my car's clutch changed in my lakhs of kms of ownership with most my cars. The total cost to replace Clutch+Flywheel+Clutch release bearing+Labour+taxes = Rs.15k.

I feel a lot of suspension parts were changed unnecessarily in your case. Before going in for some expensive job for your car please consult some alternate competent private garage. Please go through this thread this may prove very helpful.LINK: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html

Also the Timing belt needs to be changed at 80k kms along with the common drivebelt that moves every thing from water pump to powersteering to AC compressor. Please keep both the replaced belts in your car at all times, they might prove to be of help if sometime the drivebelt snaps.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th March 2010 at 15:31.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:42   #43
BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

Congrats and thanks for the wonderful review of the car. I need your help and advice in sourcing a low mileage and good condition Elantra CRDi in Gurgaon. May be you can ask the service adviser as he must be knowing several Elantra owners who are willing to sell.
Will appreciate for the great help.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Hi Anshuman,

Congrats and thanks for the wonderful review of the car. I need your help and advice in sourcing a low mileage and good condition Elantra CRDi in Gurgaon. May be you can ask the service adviser as he must be knowing several Elantra owners who are willing to sell.
Will appreciate for the great help.
Thanks. Finding a low mileage Elantra CRDi now wont be easy as the car was discontinued in 2007 and most diesel buyers have high usage. Anyways i will ask my SA to inform me if any such car comes up for sale.

A good condition Optra Magnum would be easier to find.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman,

What was the total cost of timing belt replacement & suspension overhaul. ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks