Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:03   #1
BHPian

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.

Hello to all my fellow T-BHPians. I would like to take this opportunity to share my experiences and unite all the handful (if any) of Optra-SRV owners on T-BHP to discuss their rides.

Just for the records, I am a terrible writer. So please bear with me for my novice write-up.

A little background: I have been an auto enthusiast from as long as I can remember. My present garage has an Accord, Lancer, SRV & a Santro parked in it. I sold off my Scorpio, Ikon, Indigo and Wagon-R to make some more garage space and have a lean car-scene for my family.

Current Scene: The car has done almost 23000 kms and my brother’s so-called talent resulted in complete baldness of the stock tyres. So, I recently got new shoes for the car.

Problems so far: Unfortunately, I have been facing a very weird technical glitch in the car. There are some mild but prominent ‘jerks’ on the third and fourth gears every time I drive the car. I have taken it to the service center four times this year itself for the same problem but they could not trace it. What is even more disappointing is that many of the mechanics don’t even recognize the fact that there ‘IS’ a problem. They all say that it is normal in all Optras, whereas I have driven other Optras and my friends (Optra owners) have driven my SRV and everyone feels that the jerks in my car are quite unusual. Change of spark plugs, cleaning of injections, car scanning, and change of ignition coil have all resulted in a failure to cure the disease. Now, as a last resort the works manager of the service center is calling a technician from General Motors itself to identify and (hopefully) rectify the problem.

Apart from the jerks, there are other refinement issues such as noise from the dashboard, squeaky noise of the plastic moldings on the doors, etc. etc. which I will be taking up later once the main problem of ‘jerks’ gets resolved.

I also got my front suspensions replaced (under warranty) the last time (feb.2010) I went to the SC.

Upgrades & Mods: As I mentioned before, I recently changed the shoes of the car. The stock tyres were 185/65 R14 Goodyear NT-5 on rims with wheel caps. I was looking for some decent alloys and have been active with my research for the right upsize. Finally, after a month long event of discussions and market research I upgraded to 16 inch wheels. The alloys are Lenso SC-08 (DFS) in 16 inches and the tyres I opted for are Yokohama S-Drive 205/50 R16. The tyre tread pattern looks really nice and it is comparatively silent than G3's. The ride has gone firm considerably with bumps and potholes crawling inside the cabin but the looks make up for everything. This is the only upgrade I have done so far.

Next on the list are HID conversion, suspension upgrades, air filter upgrade and an exhaust muffler. I also want to get rid of the scratches on the car and get back the deep black sheen it use to have earlier but don’t know what’s the best way to achieve that. Suggestions regarding the same will be highly appreciated. ICE upgrades will follow later as I am satisfied with the current setup as of now.

Any comments/suggestions/questions are most welcome.

Enjoy the pics.
CHEERS…!!
Attached Thumbnails
The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0195-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0239-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0228-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0234-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0232-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0268-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0242-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0245-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0249-large.jpg  

The 'RARE' Chevy Optra-SRV at 23000 kms.-dsc_0253-large.jpg  

carrazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Nice car with a perfect alloy to pump up its looks.

Why not try writing a letter to the GM directly for the jerk issue?
Do let us know your driving experience
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

I always thought that the SRV was a really good looking car which suffered due to the stupidity of GM. Congrats of completing 23K kms on it man, hope the issues get sorted out soon.
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:36   #4
BHPian

hey..nice pics and thats a HOT looking car you got there dude!
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:38   #5
BHPian

Dunno about your writing but the pics are really good.
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Car, its one of my favorites, thanks for sharing the pics

Thanks for sharing this report, could also post your overall experience with the car so far, also isnt 23k too less even with hard driving for stock tyre replacement?

p.s. What the red ring in 2 of the pics?
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

p.s. What the red ring in 2 of the pics?

i think that is there because he was shooting into the sunlight and after editing its become a red ring.

btw - nice car and great choice of rims. it does feel a bit slow stock, an air filter and a free flow would help immensely. also if you could get a remap then nothing like it.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

What a looker! Shame that GM let this car fail.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:02   #9
BHPian

This reminds of the mini version of GMC Acadia

cheers
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Stunning looking car... again a car ahead of its time resulting in failure.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Probably the best looking hatchback on Indian Roads. Your photography flair is remarkable.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:39   #12
BHPian

That is quite a garage carrazy, I must say. The SRV has really some OOMPH factor with those lovely alloys. Its a shame we do not see many nowadays on Delhi roads. The snaps have come out quite well.
Some interior pics would also be welcome
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

great looking car. wonderful choice of alloys.

IF the scratches are minor i guess a polishing and some rubbing compound will do the job. If they are deep you might need a paint job to get rid of it.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:32   #14
BHPian

Firstly, the pics are lovely. The first pic makes her look like an suv. Your writing skills arent all that bad! Better than mine atleast!
I had the similar jerking problem in one of our maruti's long ago. It turned out to be a faulty spark plug cable that was causing a spark plug to fire a bit late resulting in the jerking!
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:16   #15
BHPian

Lovely car there, I would have brought one if they had plonked magnum diesel engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks