Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 09:24   #1
R_R
BHPian

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!

Finally!! After dreaming for a long time about buying an SUV, bought a 2008 Grand Vitara from fellow BHPian Ricky_63. He had bought the GV only about six months and you can read his ownership thread here.

Briefly, the selection process: my key requirements was not so much a full-scale off-roader but what Samurai once called a bad-roader. I want to ride around the country on our bad roads, mostly in himachal, but also want to do the Leh circuit at least once before they completely civilize it (thankfully, no chance of it in the near future I guess!). So needed a 4x4 mainly to get me out of trouble if needed. Plus, GC of most SUVs would be an added advantage. Also, like many here, I suffer from a bad back problem and needed a vehicle that would have a reasonably soft ride. And the budget was around 10L. And the vehicle would have to last me at least 6-8 years because I could'nt afford a 10L vehicle for any shorter period!

Well, the short list was either (i) a second-hand GV or (ii) a new Safari EX 4x4 (in that order). Loved the soft ride of the Safari, its road-presence, size and fuel economy. But worried about its reliability, poor interior quality (though it has improved since the last time I had sat in a Safari a couple of years back), poor fit and finish, NVH etc. Of these latter items, I was willing to live with most but the reliability was an issue (despite ADCs excellent journeys, as also some others here). But Safari is a Safari and I was prepared to live with all these.

But first choice was a still GV. Loved reports of Samurai and Sudev about their GVs. Problems as I saw it were: can't afford a new one, petrol, somewhat more compact than the Safari, CBU. But its reliability, safety (ABS and airbads), great service network etc were huge plusses.

But key problem was buying seconf hand. I was'nt too keen on it; in addition, after calling up several dealers who had listed GVs for sale on carwale and hitting a deadend everywhere, more or less decided on the Safari. Did a couple of TDs, checked out deals being offered (none!) and was waiting till the end of the month to book my EX 4x4 when I saw ricky's GV for sale. Called him up within the day, and went over with the wife and did a brief TD. Felt confident about the car because it was a fellow BHPian, had followed his ownership thread, the car was less than 2 years old and only cloaked 20k and was still under warranty. The price was higher than what I could afford for a petrol car (i was calculating overall ownership costs), but it was a GV . . . so finally took the plunge. Took me another week to get the money together, and finally, she the GV was home yesterday.

ricky had already posted pictures in his thread, but I will just post as couple of the add ons: the GV came preloaded with BHP stickers! More later . . .
Attached Thumbnails
My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc_00011.jpg  

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc_0016.jpg  

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc_0017.jpg  

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc_0019.jpg  

Old 30th April 2010, 09:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the buy - So more travelogues on the way!
Old 30th April 2010, 09:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow nice pics & congratulations

WOW, R_R !! You got yourself a great vehicle, beautifully maintained & a looker I'd say !! Enjoy the vehicle & enjoy your road trips. Happy motoring.

I am glad that it went into the hands of a keen buyer who would look after the vehicle with passion, it was great interacting with a fellow-bhpian !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 30th April 2010 at 09:51.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

so now to keep a track of that Vitara we will come to this thread.

Congrats on buying a good maintained vehicle.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
The price was higher than what I could afford for a petrol car (i was calculating overall ownership costs), but it was a GV . . . so finally took the plunge. Took me another week to get the money together, and finally, she the GV was home yesterday.
How much ricky rob you for
Indeed purchasing a vehicle from a bhpian brings apart from other things ..great piece of mind

Congrats on your new ride.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your purchase of the most reliable badroader under 17L. Even after 2.5 years, there hasn't been a single part failure in my GV after all those crazy offroading and badroading in the worst of Karnataka roads. Tyres are the only thing I needed to change since they couldn't keep up with the bad roads.

If you got a 2 year old GV under 10L, it is a steal.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:13   #7
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Congratulations on the buy - So more travelogues on the way!
Thanks. Can't do anything like your travelogues, am afraid. But definitely intend to do some more 'normal' travels and travelogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
WOW, R_R !! You got yourself a great vehicle, beautifully maintained & a looker I'd say !! Enjoy the vehicle & enjoy your road trips. Happy motoring.

I am glad that it went into the hands of a keen buyer who would look after the vehicle with passion, it was great interacting with a fellow-bhpian !

Cheers
Thanks Ricky. Will start enjoying the car once I figure out a way to pry the wifey out of the driver's seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
How much ricky rob you for
Indeed purchasing a vehicle from a bhpian brings apart from other things ..great piece of mind

Congrats on your new ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats on your purchase of the most reliable badroader under 17L. Even after 2.5 years, there hasn't been a single part failure in my GV after all those crazy offroading and badroading in the worst of Karnataka roads. Tyres are the only thing I needed to change since they couldn't keep up with the bad roads.

Thanks Alter_Ego. And Samurai san: started seriously looking at GV after reading your early posts and then Sudev's adventures.

And yes, it was under 10L.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Help I have been robbed in broad daylight

Thanks Ricky. Will start enjoying the car once I figure out a way to pry the wifey out of the driver's seat!

Hint use the seat height adjustment to lower the seat to it's lowest point
I hope she is not looking at this post though !!!

Cheers
Old 30th April 2010, 20:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. the GV is a crisp BADROADER. Bulletproof reliability, smart looks and looks more uber than a Safari. Now hope to see those travelogues from the Leh trips ur planning to make.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 30th April 2010, 21:55   #10
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Help I have been robbed in broad daylight

Hint use the seat height adjustment to lower the seat to it's lowest point
I hope she is not looking at this post though !!!

Cheers
I'll keep this to myself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Congrats. the GV is a crisp BADROADER. Bulletproof reliability, smart looks and looks more uber than a Safari. Now hope to see those travelogues from the Leh trips ur planning to make.

Cheers,

Jay
Thanks. Whenever we do the Leh trip, I'll definitely crow about it!! But intend to do other trips before that too, though plans are still at an early stage. Lets see how they pan out.

Thanks again, all!
R_R
Old 1st May 2010, 10:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bro !! This is the only Maruti-Suzuki I really like a lot.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats RR!! Its an all rounder. I can assure you one thing it is much tougher then it looks and will deliver as much as you'll ask from it. Happy driving.

Quote:
the GV came preloaded with BHP stickers!
Lol- good one!! Thats one added advantage to buy from a bhpian..

And guys!! A "BADROADER".. Comeon,

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc00009.jpg

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc00011.jpg

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc00012.jpg

My 2008 Grand Vitara EDIT: 10 years, 100,000 km up!-dsc00008.jpg

My mistake for not being able to upload offroad pics lately.. It amazes me at offroad specially its approach and departure angles..

PS: Sorry for putting up pics of my GV in your thread.. :-)

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 1st May 2010 at 12:40.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:35   #13
BHPian

Hi R_R:

Congratulations on your purchase. The Vitara looks very good and well maintained. Wishing you all the best and happy motoring.

I am also on the lookout for a second hand Vitara, and like you not really for pure off-roading but more for being an all rounder and almost go anywhere type of a vehicle. Unfortunately, not too many listings.

Quote:
But key problem was buying seconf hand. I was'nt too keen on it; in addition, after calling up several dealers who had listed GVs for sale on carwale and hitting a deadend everywhere.
OT - Since you mentioned the above, there are two dealer listings on Carwale @ New Delhi for 2007 GV MT (one silver and one black). If you have checked these out earlier, can you let me know what were the shortcomings in these. Will be much obliged for the same.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:41   #14
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Congrats RR!! Its an all rounder. I can assure you one thing it is much tougher then it looks and will deliver as much as you'll ask from it. Happy driving.

My mistake for not being able to upload offroad pics lately.. It amazes me at offroad specially its approach and departure angles..

Thanks Ym-enjn: I know that the GV is capable of a lot more than just bad-roading, as your thread demonstrates (among others)! But I will probably not use it the way you do; for that I'll just read all of your threads!! And no problem about posting those amazing photos; the "take-off" snap of your GV that you posted on your thread is one of my favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Hi R_R:

Congratulations on your purchase. The Vitara looks very good and well maintained. Wishing you all the best and happy motoring.

OT - Since you mentioned the above, there are two dealer listings on Carwale @ New Delhi for 2007 GV MT (one silver and one black). If you have checked these out earlier, can you let me know what were the shortcomings in these. Will be much obliged for the same.
Thanks chaudhrysan. Re carwale, when I called them (actually the dealer, Max Marketing), they did'nt seem to have any, including the ones they had advertised. I guess the ad is an old one (from mid-February). So I had no luck with them.

Even Rana motors in Delhi had advertised a GV on their website, and I had seen the GV outside their showroom at Bhikaji Cama Place, but when I called them, they too said they had none. I suspect it belongs to Rana motors and they changed their mind about selling (or else I got connected to someone who had no clue!). Anyway, point is that I could get to see no other GV other than the one I bought. You could call Rana Motors or Max Marketing again. All the best with your search. Hope you get a good one!

Cheers,
R_R
Old 1st May 2010, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post

Lol- good one!! Thats one added advantage to buy from a bhpian..

Attachment 340731

Attachment 340732

Attachment 340733

Attachment 340734

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pics !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Hi R_R:

I am also on the lookout for a second hand Vitara, and like you not really for pure off-roading but more for being an all rounder and almost go anywhere type of a vehicle. Unfortunately, not too many listings.

Let me answer that one for you. The Silver one is a high miler (had done over a lakh of kms when I saw it, many months ago) belongs to a dealer. It had many ifs & buts (if you know what I mean) Stay clear, would be my advice.

Quote:
Thanks Ym-enjn: I know that the GV is capable of a lot more than just bad-roading, as your thread demonstrates (among others)! But I will probably not use it the way you do; for that I'll just read all of your threads!! And no problem about posting those amazing photos; the "take-off" snap of your GV that you posted on your thread is one of my favourites.

Thanks chaudhrysan. Re carwale, when I called them (actually the dealer, Max Marketing), they did'nt seem to have any, including the ones they had advertised. I guess the ad is an old one (from mid-February). So I had no luck with them.

Even Rana motors in Delhi had advertised a GV on their website, and I had seen the GV outside their showroom at Bhikaji Cama Place, but when I called them, they too said they had none. I suspect it belongs to Rana motors and they changed their mind about selling (or else I got connected to someone who had no clue!). Anyway, point is that I could get to see no other GV other than the one I bought. You could call Rana Motors or Max Marketing again. All the best with your search. Hope you get a good one!

Cheers,
R_R

None of those cars are actually available. There was a Black automatic available for an asking price of 5.5L If you drove that car once you would never come close to a Grand Vitara for the rest of your life, there however was a BLACK M/T which was kind of OK but not a patch on the one that R_R got

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks