Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 17:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
A day before, took the car out to get a K&N Air Filter for my Opel AStra costing Rs. 5680/-. ...

.... had to get the air filter cleaned every 2000 k.m...

...Not in the least, did one care for the performance aspect of installing a K&N Air filter on my car....
K&N Filters too need frequent cleaning, for optimum performance. And for the cost of one K&N filter you could have bought about 25 stock filters. So even if you 'replace' one, instead of cleaning, every 2,000kms, you can easily run 50,000kms for the cost on one K&N.

Not worth it!.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2011, 20:09   #32
BHPian

Re: OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review; Updated to 1.22 lakh k.m.

Quote:

dhanushs: K&N Filters too need frequent cleaning, for optimum performance.And for the cost of one K&N filter you could have bought about 25 stock filters. So even if you 'replace' one, instead of cleaning, every 2,000kms, you can easily run 50,000kms for the cost on one K&N.

Not worth it!.
I was under the impression that these K&N filters may not require the kind of frequent clean-ups that one had been excercising on the stock air filters.That these i.e K&N air filters can run inspite of being not cleaned let say during the 5000 k.m. service intervals. Well, have to wait and inspect this K&N air filter on the next service to know whether it was any good or not. Who knows , you may be right. That it may not be , worth the cost.

Anyways, there was another issue relating to braking that one forgot to highlight, in my last post. There used to be no braking until the brake pedal reached halfway, after which braking could be felt.Brake pads were o.k., no doubt the brake disks had gone through refurbishing--Excuse the mistake, if an incorrect term has been used--once, but the obvious reason was that there was air in brake lines. The system had been sufficiently bled to clear the brake lines of air. The end result may not have provided responsive braking on pedal press , but still not as bad with respect to the earlier condition: When there was no response until pedal half-pressed.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 16:41   #33
BHPian

Updated to 1.26 lakh k.m.
It seems prophetic words of my younger brother with respect to my car --At the beginning of this year when the car completed its 10 years , from the day it was bought .He said that "from this point onwards, your car will creep up with issues that would usually require parts to be replaced"-- keeps coming back to my mind. Furthermore, there seems to have crept in my car for past sometime small yet for sure rattling noises that shall gradually increase as time passes by and the car becomes old.

(.) Just like last year during summer, issues with AC condensor fan seems to creep up. It would stop working, just like it did in this month. I am unable to procure new one, so just like last year it has been repaired.

Repair cost for AC condensor fan: 650/-;
AC gas charged up: 800/-;

(.) A problem that one was unable to discern , had been gradually building itself up for quite some time. I had problems with braking for more than a month now. Whenever, the brake pedal was pressed; the braking in effect only came after pedal pressed more than half its depth. Initially, I thought it had be related with air in brake lines.Perhaps, bleeding the lines and change of brake fluid would do the trick. My preferred mechanic too concurred that perhaps bleeding would solve it. It did solve it, but only for some time.

Nevertheless,The problem came back on its own in the begginning of this month, but this time came at a moment when one was doing 80+kmph speeds on highway. There were 3 instances at that time when one required consistent braking and each and every instance it was inconsistent. Moreover, at one particular instance ,instant braking was required and all one could get was nothing even though the brake pedal was pressed up 3/4 its depth, one pressed harder on the pedal, then it came as if it[brake force] was stored to release at one given point. Result :the front wheels locked , the car came to stop accompanied with 'screeching' noise, and the 3 other occupants with me in the car at that time were a bit startled. Even though I maintained my composure, not to add to the fears of my fellow occupants that perhaps the car brakes had failed or were failing. I continued along the way back to delhi, but with speeds below 60 kmph and using engine braking most of the time. But, that instance highlighted to me that the real problem was the rear drum braking! It seems it wasn't adding anything--the rear drum brakes--when ever brake pedal was pressed. This conjecture of mine will be confirmed by my preffered mechanic with whom the car will be kept for repairs, next day.

The following day, my prefered mechanic said that not only the rear drum brake would require complete O/H, the rear bearings too would require replacement. He wasn't inclined to believe that I never realised that whenever car braked or car moving there was consistent noise from the rear wheels which would increase at braking. I think this time, I should be blamed for it since its negligence on my part. The instances have taught me ,well to be a bit circumspect in the future.

The repair job for rear-drum brake replacement and rear bearings:

Cost of pair of rear drum[outer concentric that houses brake cyclinder+adjuster+others] = 4800/-

Cost of pair of rear drum[inner concentric] = 5600/-;

Cost of pair of brake shoes + pads= 950/-;

Add brake oil cost = 150/-;

Cost of Pair of rear wheel bearrings= 4400/-;

Labour charges for rear brake O/H= 1500/-;

Labour charges for rear wheel bearrings change = 600/-;

The car had been with my mechanic for past 10 days, recieved it yesterday and one has driven it for 120 k.m since the repair. Seems to me all problems have been done away with, waiting for more to come in future!!!???

Photos of old parts, last photo of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-20110619-11.02.23.jpg  

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-20110619-11.03.14.jpg  

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-20110619-11.03.33.jpg  

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-20110619-11.04.13.jpg  

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-20110619-11.17.13.jpg  

ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 17:56   #34
BHPian

Updated till 1.3 lakh k.m. Running maintenance report as follows:-
Concering the issue highlighted in the thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ming-belt.html
about the timing belt teeth worn out. The fact is the timing belt was intact except that its teeth had worn out. Now the car had
been with the prefered mechanic was quite some time. He had brought to my consideration a curious fact, relating to the cause of timing belt teeth worn out.
He told me the cause was the crank-shaft gear, and urged me to look at that gear whose outer teeth clearly showed deviation, which according
to him might have eaten out the timing belt teeth. Fortunately , for me since the timing belt itself never broke, one was spared of damage
to the engine head + block.
Following parts are replaced for timing belt replacement job, with only those parts replaced which could be procured,rest inspected.

Cost of timing belt: 750/-
Cost of timing belt adjuster : 650/-
2 pairs of crank and cam gears/pulleys= 2500/-
Head gasket set = 850/-
Cost of oil pump = 2800/-
Cost of water pump = 1800/-
Ommision of other parts required for timing belt replacement job couldnt be replaced either due to non-availability or after inspection were found out alright to continue thier usage.
Engine service at 1.3 lakh k.m has been done , costing=2000/- ,fuel filter wasn't replaced nor was K&N air filter.
Labour charges:
Engine flushing + Treatment done costing = 2000/- [labour included]
Charges for head re-installing+inspection = 2500/-
Charges for oil+water pump install = 1500/-
Charges for timing belt install+adjust = 650/-

I have driven the car for 200 k.m after the last job, and everthing seemed normal.Waiting with fingers crossed what new issues might creep up along its future course!!
Old 10th December 2011, 01:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

@rithedhawan..Very nice long term ownership description.I love an Astra anyday for its superiority.However when i bought my Opel Corsa in 2005,the Astra was already phased out or else i would have definitly purchased an Astra anyday.Im still in look out for a good Astra to acquire for myself.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Rite Dhawan: I see you don't want to let go of your trusted steed and give her the rest she requires, love the way you are looking after her and using her as your daily ride. Your "chotta bhai's" words are coming true, I guess. Thanks for going through the trouble of giving us your experiences in a very orderly manner, including the cost's. Would be useful to some one in future.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:51   #37
BHPian

Thanks, hillram and Durango Dude, for going through the long review.

Quote:
hillram: when i bought my Opel Corsa in 2005,the Astra was already phased out or else i would have definitly purchased an Astra anyday.Im still in look out for a good Astra to acquire for myself.
You could , but the rare ones you'll find only in second hand market. They may not be that expensive in the second hand market. Second hand car dealers usually want to dispose of Opel cars, they have expeditiously, there are many reasons for that: one being parts availability etc...

Quote:
Durango Dude: @Rite Dhawan: I see you don't want to let go of your trusted steed and give her the rest she requires, love the way you are looking after her and using her as your daily ride. Your "chotta bhai's" words are coming true, I guess. Thanks for going through the trouble of giving us your experiences in a very orderly manner, including the cost's. Would be useful to some one in future
Thanks, Its ironic though that this isnt my daily ride. Since, for daily commute , I am willing to use public transport in New Delhi. Its been a year, since this hasn't been my daily ride, that should not mean that i wont use it. I drive this car on week-ends and highway trips.I urged my Father few months ago to dispose of the Opel astra for another car--I had the prev-gen VW Jetta or new FIAT Linea T-Jet in mind-- since my present car would usually creep up with some problem or other. My Father wont listen, Actually, its his conviction when it comes to buying cars, that : 'Until the present car is 10 yrs old and not worth spending money on it for a major job like Engine O/H etc ' he wont buy a new one.
I am fain to run my Opel Astra, but then again , i am not complaining much!

Another case in point, My younger brother was bought in 1999 a Tata Indica, he drove it relentlessly for 10 yrs during which it had more than one Engine O/H jobs not to mention other jobs. In 2009 , it wanted another Engine O/H and the underbody of that indica was completely rusted . It was only then my Father relented to my younger brother wish , and bought him a 2009 diesel Hyundai Verna SX, he has already crossed 83000 k.m on that car.
Old 1st January 2012, 08:25   #38
BHPian

I had made some attempts this year , to persuade my parents to let go of my current car. The last attempt made headway, since , the moment one brought into thier consideration the number's , the facts did the talking themselves. In the past one year, even though one restricted my usage of Opel astra for weekend getaways. After driving it for near about 11000 k.m. this year. It took in expenses Rs. 54668/-[Expenses on car for year 2011] which includes various jobs on the car , from suspension O/H to rear brake O/H, etc... but excludes fuel and service costs.Never had this car given me problems , the way it did this year, thats why restricted usage from my side. This fact got my parents curious, and made them realise that : it inst feasible keeping this car with us anymore. Thus, they asked me to immediately dispose of Opel astra in used car market.

Yesterday, I sold off my Opel astra at a price less than what the above stated expenses. I tried many used car dealers , many were not willing to buy themselves, stating opels dont sell or bring in profits. Some told me they could arrange a customer, if the customer buys then sold otherwise, the dealer wont touch it. Somehow, got a dealer who bought it.

Anyways, whats done is done, My tryst with Opel astra ended yesterday.
I would avow, I had my good and bad days with it. One thing is for sure, one had done away with most of its problems at the time of it being sold, and one would never forget its robust build and highway stability. Something, that would remain indelible in my mind, till last.

NOTE To Moderators: I have nothing more to add to this thread. Therefore, I request them to close it.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 09:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sad... Opel Astra was a car even I was very emotionally attached too, we had a club in Kashmere colour. I was literally in tears when we had to sell it off.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 04:07   #40
BHPian

A very good review thread. Thank You.

It has helped me understand about the car a lot.

I had driven the car sometime back but never felt it slow so I dopn't understand much about the being patient with the car's acceleration.
Old 24th October 2013, 16:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post

Anyways, whats done is done, My tryst with Opel astra ended yesterday.
I would avow, I had my good and bad days with it. One thing is for sure, one had done away with most of its problems at the time of it being sold, and one would never forget its robust build and highway stability. Something, that would remain indelible in my mind, till last.

NOTE To Moderators: I have nothing more to add to this thread. Therefore, I request them to close it.
I had missed this thread earlier. Reading this post of yours especially made me feel sad. Dad used to own an Astra in 2000s. He bought it in 2001 i guess and by early 2008 he had disposed it. We used to do Baroda - Kerala on the Astra and it never disappointed.

He too sold it off due rising maintenance costs at which my mother always used to frown. Dad loved the car to bits and he, being an Automobile engineer, did most of the small repairs himself. We also had a trusted mechanic back in Kerala. He was very silent and sad for about a day after it was taken away.

I agree with GTO when he says that this was the original affordable European. The seeds of the Octavia might have been sown with the Astra. What are the odds of bringing this Legend back?
Old 27th October 2013, 11:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Astra Club! The date backs to somewhere in 2000 when my uncle bought a brand new Astra Club. It was the second Astra Club in India. I still remember admiring it for years together. The car color was different than other cars on the road. Some of the unheard features then were present in this car - Sunroof, Alloys, all 4 auto down windows, Scoops on the bonnet and the list continues. He got 4-5 scale models of some exotics as a gift with this car.

The car has done 1.75L km now. My uncle has changed many cars in the years but he hasn't sold this one. He says none of his other cars gives him driving pleasure as this one. Even I have driven this car many times and it brings a smile on my face when negotiating the potholes. It handles them very gracefully. I took this car on NICE road last evening and one should see the high speed stability of this one, its brilliant. Not even a single rattle from any part of the car even after 13 years.

Some pics which I took yesterday. Even though the paint chips have gone from some places, the car is mechanically fit. All the parts including headlamps are stock. Nothing has been replaced except the tyres. My uncle is finding it difficult to find any reliable mechanic who can service this car.

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-imag0476.jpg

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-imag0475.jpg

OPEL ASTRA club, 1.1 lakh km, long review-imag0474.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 27th October 2013 at 11:07.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 12:42   #43
BHPian

Opel were always of their time, timeless engineering was their forte, then and even know. Whether the Astra or even the Vectra, they were simply amazing. I remember, as a kid, I used to always say, Vectra is India's most advanced car ever. If Opel ever decides to even launch the 2003 Vectra as is, it can give run for it monies to some of the 2013 D Segment cars today.

PS Opel made me fall in love with German Engineering
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:

guyfrmblr: All the parts including headlamps are stock. Nothing has been replaced except the tyres. My uncle is finding it difficult to find any reliable mechanic who can service this car.
My experience was the other way around, I had no problem servicing the car , and had a reliable mechanic. My problem was availability of parts coupled with exhorbitantly priced parts from After Sales Centers of GM.No wonder, I resorted to second hand or salvage parts which were available in open market.

Last edited by ritedhawan : 2nd November 2013 at 09:02. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:56   #45
BHPian

Great thread Ritedhawan!

I still own and use a 2002 model Opel Astra GSi. It has done 1.05 Lakh Kms. I do not aim to sell this car. At the moment it is my primary car, may be it becomes my secondary car after some time. The driving pleasure that this car gives is not only special but addictive. I am not a very rash driver so this car fits well into my driving style.

About 4 years back the front brake disc had to be replaced because of some braking issues (the mechanic suggested it is the disc so I changed it). While the issue got resolved the braking force always felt less with the new discs in place. The discs were not originals, they were some after market stuff which was actually quite cheap (Rs.4000 for a pair). I dont feel very confident driving at higher speeds with these brakes so I am thinking of looking around for either the original front brakes discs or a really good quality after market ones. The only thing I know is the front discs were 256 mm. Can anyone point me to a website or shop (preferrably in Bangalore) where I can find a really good replacement brake discs for Astra ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks