Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 11:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
But I presume if there's a microprocessor involved in the operation, if that's what the EBD is doing (?), it is likely that the quantum of pressure being applied to each of the brakes is decided by the processor. Then I guess there won't be the "grabbing" sensation, unless one really hammers the brakes, when ABS should come into play if required.
The quantum of pressure is still decided by your foot. What EBD does is multiply the pressure appropriately at various speeds. At higher speeds, you get more braking power for the same amount of foot pressure.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
OT : taking this off from here to PMs. Will PM you on this.
My apologies, that was indeed OT! Will take it offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@damu
I just checked and the clock function is there even if the fm/cd is playing.
I was under the impression that the 'Clock' button is only for setting up the clock!
Glad to hear it works for your car too, Nair! So now you have your clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The quantum of pressure is still decided by your foot. What EBD does is multiply the pressure appropriately at various speeds. At higher speeds, you get more braking power for the same amount of foot pressure.
Gilead, I'm not sure it works like that.

According to Ford this is what it is:
"ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System) with EBD
EBD - Electronic Brake Force Distribution varies the brake force to each of the wheels and with ABS helps maintain steering control."

Link is here:
Ford - Ford Fiesta Safety
Old 27th August 2010, 13:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

What they says is 'ABS helps one to maintain full steering and directional stability when brake heavily in an emergency, by providing the road wheels from locking.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gilead, I'm not sure it works like that.

According to Ford this is what it is:
"ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System) with EBD
EBD - Electronic Brake Force Distribution varies the brake force to each of the wheels and with ABS helps maintain steering control."

Link is here:
Ford - Ford Fiesta Safety
That's pretty much what I said. The brake force is varied depending on conditions like speed, surface and loading.

Electronic brakeforce distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will get more brake force for the same foot pressure at higher speeds. I know this from first hand experience.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....You will get more brake force for the same foot pressure at higher speeds. I know this from first hand experience.
We experienced it real-time on our drive to Pondy ! Thanks to the ABS, we were not arrested for a 'hit and kill' situation .
Old 27th August 2010, 17:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
That's pretty much what I said. The brake force is varied depending on conditions like speed, surface and loading.

Electronic brakeforce distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will get more brake force for the same foot pressure at higher speeds. I know this from first hand experience.
Thanks for the link Gilead, that was an interesting read. Nice to know what's working for me in my car!
Old 18th December 2010, 17:35   #52
BHPian

Update 5000 kms

On 26th November 2010, my Fiesta S reached a milestone:

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-img00001201011261049.jpg

The performance of my Fiesta S is now very noticeably different from when the car was new. Then, the Duratec seemed lacking in “oomph” as compared to the 1.6 ROCAM in my Ikon. From around 2200 kms however, I noticed a change in the Duratec – it was revving freely and the power was coming on smoothly and quickly, unlike the sluggishness earlier.

This improvement continued and after 3000 kms I am completely bowled over by the Duratec. The engine revs very quickly and smoothly and it is just begging to be gunned. The rev counter climbs almost immediately to 3000 rpm. That quick revving coupled with the short throw light gear shift makes it a joy to drive. I have to be really careful now because this car is like a dog pulling on its leash, begging me to let her go!

I never thought I’d get over my Ikon, but now I admit that this S simply has me totally charmed. Every time I get into the driver’s seat and start the engine, I know I’ve got a stupid grin on my face!

I’ve read a lot on this forum from Fiesta owners about the “snarl” of the Duratec. Only now I am experiencing this and I can understand what they mean and why Fiesta owners are ga-ga over their cars. All I’ve read by other owners is coming true for me too - the Duratec really does snarl and it’s addictive!

Did a quick dash to Chennai last month, and I totally enjoyed the trip. I let my wife drive for only a short time while going and not at all while returning! I was enjoying the car too much.

On the way back, there was extremely heavy rain near Kanchipuram. So heavy that over 70% of the vehicles stopped. It was just sheets of water hitting the car. I felt no need to stop – I could still see well enough and the river of water on the road didn’t bother the Fiesta at all. Just dropped the speed to 60 kph and kept going. I would guess that the wide tyres did help here.

In cornering the S really shows its capabilities. This is just stunning; it’s a 100 bhp car-sized go-kart. The “Sport” tag that Ford has given this version is no sales gimmick. I haven’t driven very many cars, but from reports I read in auto mags, I would guess that this type of suspension can be next encountered only in the Beemers.

Had a sad encounter last month – an auto rear-ended my car at a traffic signal. Typical auto driver, trying to squeeze his way through the cars, and rammed hard into the Fiesta’s rear. I was in a hurry, dropping relatives to the railway station, and couldn’t do anything about it.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0746.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0748.jpg

Was terribly disheartened seeing the damage, even though I have insurance. Next day I went to Metro Ford and they told me I could claim insurance and change the entire bumper. I didn’t want to be parted from car for three days and asked if they could do something temporarily. Moreover, I have experiencing “bad nazar” - people keep throwing dirt on the car. I thought that if the car has some damage, perhaps this would stop. I told the SA in Metro about this and he laughed and said “You want to leave it as a beauty spot? Good idea!” So he got a quick fix done - the bumper was unscrewed and re-fitted. It looks okay now. The damage is of course visible, but it is bearable.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0950.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0951.jpg

Well, the ‘beauty spot” theory has worked - no one is dirtying the car after this!

If this was not enough, my wife put a deep scratch on the skirting on the other side! She was parking the car somewhere and didn’t account for the skirting. She scraped the car against a stone and this left a gouge mark. Well, with both sides now marked, I think I’ve got the Evil Eye beaten!

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0952.jpg

FE

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-fuel13dec102.jpg

As you can see I’ve been on Bharath regular now for nearly two months. It was too much of a hassle to get to the Shell bunk because of the horrible traffic on Old Madras Road.

Since I moved back to Bharath Petroleum, the last 3 fills I’ve started using System G. As you can see, there has been an increase in FE since then. But, also during these fills, I’ve done an airport trip each time. So I don’t really know if the System G helped or whether the airport drive caused the change. Time will tell.

Bangaloreans will agree this FE is pretty good considering my usual route – Old Madras Road with long waits at traffic signals and crawling traffic at my other route - Seva Nagar Banasawadi Road.

Accessories

Ford has given pretty much a fully loaded car and I have added only a few bits. A soft leather steering cover, extra floor mats, and a Garmin Nuvi 265WT.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0953.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0954.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!-dscn0955.jpg

I’m loving my car and gratefully acknowledge all the Fiesta owners whose threads on their Fiestas of all versions convinced me to go for this car!

Old 18th December 2010, 23:17   #53
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport - 5,000 km Update

Damu, congrats on the milestone reached on the Fiesta.
As for the part about the bad nazar, i can only share your pain. In 4 years, my car has had lesser number of scratches and bruises than in the past 2 months, perhaps!
Old 20th December 2010, 07:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport - 5,000 km Update

@Damu,

A big congratulations in reaching the first major milestone, I hope more are there to come.

Sad to know about the scratches. I feel you should let it be and get them rectified when you are planning for a major job. Maybe a couple of "Limbu Mirchis or black doll" may help you till then.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Damu on reaching 5K so soon!

I like the place you've placed your Garmin's base stand. But doesn't the wire from the 12V socket foul with your legs?
Old 20th December 2010, 09:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Damu, congrats on the milestone reached on the Fiesta.
As for the part about the bad nazar, i can only share your pain. In 4 years, my car has had lesser number of scratches and bruises than in the past 2 months, perhaps!
Thanks Ben. I hope now that I have damage on both sides, there'll be no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Damu,
A big congratulations in reaching the first major milestone, I hope more are there to come.
Thanks Ghodlur. Yes I'm looking forward to our next long drive and 10k mark now.

Quote:
Sad to know about the scratches. I feel you should let it be and get them rectified when you are planning for a major job.
You're right, I'll leave them be as they are till any major work is required.

Quote:
Maybe a couple of "Limbu Mirchis or black doll" may help you till then.
Believe me Ghodlur, I am very seriously thinking about this. Many times I have found my car with dirt thrown on it and it's definitely being done on purpose. It has never happened with my Ikon, I think it's the white colour that attracts this vandalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congrats Damu on reaching 5K so soon!
Thanks vnabhi!

Quote:
I like the place you've placed your Garmin's base stand.
That's a perfect place for the unit and it doesn't come in the way of front vision and is close enough to operate.

I see you've got the same 265WT and friction mount too in US. The friction mount is very useful.

Quote:
But doesn't the wire from the 12V socket foul with your legs?
No vnabhi, because the cord is really long and I can take it over the dash and then down by the passenger side. But, I have to be careful not to get the cord fouling the gear lever.

Are you in US for Christmas too? Enjoy your Christmas!

Cheers!
Old 21st December 2010, 02:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I see you've got the same 265WT and friction mount too in US. The friction mount is very useful.
Yep, but I still need to buy the frictiion mount. I'm planning to get it from Amazon. How much did you pay for it?

Quote:

Are you in US for Christmas too? Enjoy your Christmas!

Cheers!
Thanks, and same to you. I'm actually here on a business visit till mid-Feb.
Old 21st December 2010, 08:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, but I still need to buy the frictiion mount. I'm planning to get it from Amazon. How much did you pay for it?
$162 for the same combo you have bought (GPS unit with boxed accessories and the carry case) and another $20.99 for the friction mount. All from Amazon, including taxes and shipping to California, where my friend bought it for me.

You got a very good deal in Delaware!
Old 21st December 2010, 08:55   #59
Senior - BHPian

@damu, your FE are quite indicative, my 1.6 SXI +S (i had installed an original fiesta sports kit on my SXI) also gives me a mileage of around 10 in city and around 14 on highways, and i too have got got some scars on my white beauty...
Old 5th February 2011, 17:32   #60
BHPian

Congrats Damu on 5k!
I recently touched 5k on my 1.6S too... simply a brilliant car to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks