Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:10   #31
BHPian

Very nice write up Mooza. Thats one well maintained scorp.

When I was on the lookout for a diesel vehicle, many friends dissuaded me saying the diesel engines that show close to 70-80K on the ODO dont have much life left in them. Whats your observation since you got a vehicle with something similar on the ODO
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Murali, what is the warranty that the Bilsteins come with? Where did you buy them from and do you know if they have shock absorbers for the coil spring version too?
Also, how much did it cost you for the last row seat? Where was it done and were any holes/mounts drilled/welded onto the body while doing so?
Hi Devdath, the guys at Hot Tracks, Victoria road, Bangalore (who sourced the shocks from Pete's Automotive) have given a warranty of one lakh kms for the Bilsteins B6 shocks.

When I spoke to their office last, they told me that they do have the shocks for the Scorpio with the coil springs as well, but I suggest you speak directly to Peter Chacko of Pete's on this. Their contact details are in the link below :

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

The seat mod cost me 11.5 k (including labour), after exchange of the side facing seats for the 40/60 folding 2nd row seats. Yes, a couple of holes have been drilled on each side of the body at the wheel well, to fix the 3rd row seat brackets using M10 size bolts. The 3rd row seat feels very sturdily fixed, I have ferried 3 healthy adults several times over the last year without any complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
a great ownership report mooza. good to see your vehicle performing well after the suspension mods.
also, the seat covers look fabulous.
Thanks Raj, I have seen the pics of your seat covers too, looks really good ! These pics, and Rjstyle's and Latheesh's inputs on the art leather thread helped me decide on G Sport art leather for my beast. Haven't regretted it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Very nice write up Mooza. Thats one well maintained scorp.
When I was on the lookout for a diesel vehicle, many friends dissuaded me saying the diesel engines that show close to 70-80K on the ODO dont have much life left in them. Whats your observation since you got a vehicle with something similar on the ODO
Thanks Rahul !

Regarding engine life, diesel engines like that of the Scorpio can easily cross 2 lakh kms without much ado. Please do check out the threads of Raj5004, HVKumar and others on this !

Personally, I have felt the engine still very responsive, and it has never felt out of breath, even under full load. No excessive smoke either.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Once the 3rd row seat became front facing, I got the rear step removed :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1640.jpg

After removing the rear step, I got the slightly patchy area (at the rear bumper) spray painted at my FNG, and clicked this pic :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1632.jpg

Next it was the turn of the bullbar to be removed, since the previous owner had just patched up the scratched portions, and I was not interested in the bullbar anyway :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1657.jpg

View of my Scorpio after I got the bullbar removed :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1634.jpg
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:01   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
The seat mod cost me 11.5 k (including labour), after exchange of the side facing seats for the 40/60 folding 2nd row seats. Yes, a couple of holes have been drilled on each side of the body at the wheel well, to fix the 3rd row seat brackets using M10 size bolts. The 3rd row seat feels very sturdily fixed, I have ferried 3 healthy adults several times over the last year without any complaints
Where was it done Murali? Does it recline/fold/split? I was comparing it with purchasing a forward facing seat from the ASC in terms of the cost, the fit and finish and comfort.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where was it done Murali? Does it recline/fold/split? I was comparing it with purchasing a forward facing seat from the ASC in terms of the cost, the fit and finish and comfort.

I got this job done at a seat workshop in Frazertown. The guys deal in seat mods for most SUVs and MUVs. I will PM you the details.

Only replacing the existing 3rd row side facing seats with a forward facing bench seat will obviously not suffice, as entry to the 3rd row will not be possible.

In my case, my original middle row seat itself was moved back to the 3rd row. This is not the split type, and is not a direct fit onto the 3rd row (it sits around 3 to 4 inches higher, on the top of the wheel guard), giving me the luggage space below the (modified) 3rd row, and the thigh support.

For the middle row, I had to purchase and install a new (split 2+1 folding) seat from the workshop, to facilitate entry to the 3rd row.

The other option is to buy the 2 + 1 middle row seat (for access to 3rd row), as well as the original 3rd row seat (which is a direct fit for the 3rd row), but this will work out to around 22k, as per the workshop. And you lose the luggage space below the 3rd row seat, as the original 3rd row seat sits at a lower height. You will essentially need to purchase 2 full length seats in this case, as opposed to the one full length seat (2+1 type) used in my option.

If you want a 7 seater option with all seats front facing, you could install only 2 captain/bucket seats for the middle row, and the front facing 3rd row seat (middle row seat pushed back, or original front facing 3rd row seat). I do not know how much this will cost, and the feasibility, maybe you could work out the details from the workshop guys

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mooza : 23rd September 2010 at 12:01.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:06   #36
BANNED

Quote:
The other option is to buy the 2 + 1 middle row seat (for access to 3rd row), as well as the original 3rd row seat (which is a direct fit for the 3rd row), but this will work out to around 22k, as per the workshop. And you lose the luggage space below the 3rd row seat, as the original 3rd row seat sits at a lower height. You will essentially need to purchase 2 full length seats in this case, as opposed to the one full length seat (2+1 type) used in my option.
Hope this helps!
Ok, let me ask you this Murli. Have you tried sitting in the original 3rd row seat and this one to compare which feels more comfortable and better?

Also, when you say that you purchased the 2+1 middle row seat from the workshop, you mean the Frazertown place right?

Also, is it possible, like the Company fitted 3rd row seat, to fold this seat completely forward if required?

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd September 2010 at 12:08.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, let me ask you this Murli. Have you tried sitting in the original 3rd row seat and this one to compare which feels more comfortable and better?

Also, when you say that you purchased the 2+1 middle row seat from the workshop, you mean the Frazertown place right?

Also, is it possible, like the Company fitted 3rd row seat, to fold this seat completely forward if required?
Yes, Devdath, I purchased the middle row seat from the Frazertown workshop itself. My comparison of 3rd row thigh support comfort is based on the experience when I sat in the original 3rd row bench seat of another Scorpio while scouting around for my used Scorpio purchase, so I feel the greater height gives better thigh support.

Yes, it is possible to fold this seat completely forward when you need the luggage space.

PM me in case you want to see my vehicle, will be glad to help
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj, I have seen the pics of your seat covers too, looks really good ! These pics, and Rjstyle's and Latheesh's inputs on the art leather thread helped me decide on G Sport art leather for my beast. Haven't regretted it !
Same here. it was because of T-BHP that i could finalize on g sport. and the quality of the covers and stitching is good. till now, there are no stains or creases or any loose stitiching on my covers. i feel its total VFM.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
till now, there are no stains or creases or any loose stitiching on my covers. i feel its total VFM.
Feels good to know this, Raj !

I am yet undecided on art leather for the door trims, though. Maybe I might do this at a later date
Old 24th September 2010, 07:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Devdath, a correction from my side on my reply to your last question.

Only the top half of the 3rd row seat folds down. I have been keeping my heavy luggage (airport suitcases etc.) on top of this folded seat, without much problems so far. The smaller suitcases and bags find their way below the 3rd row seat. Will try to post a pic with the seat folded, I thought of first clarifying your point at the earliest !

By opting for the raised 3rd row seat I have been able to ferry 7 people long distance on a couple of occasions (to Mangalore and back), with each person travelling with one bag of the size shown in the left side of my pic on the previous page (showing the filled boot), without having a luggage rack on the roof.

Quote:
If you want a 7 seater option with all seats front facing, you could install only 2 captain/bucket seats for the middle row, and the front facing 3rd row seat (middle row seat pushed back, or original front facing 3rd row seat).

I feel the above option of 7 front facing seats (with 2 bucket seats at the centre), is really worth looking into. Based on our experience of 7 people travelling together, I see the following advantages in this, compared to my present situation of the 2+1 folding seat in the middle row. Of course, these are my assumptions, folks please correct me if I am wrong :

1. The middle passenger of the middle row presently has very poor legspace, on account of the AC duct almost touching his legs. With bucket seats, the middle passenger can be moved back to the 3rd row, from where he can stretch his legs comfortably forward.

2. The middle passenger of the middle row presently faces a direct blast of the AC on his legs, making it very uncomfortable. So the ducts are invariably turned sideways to hit the neighbouring occupants legs instead ! With the bucket seats, the duct can be directed in a straight position.

3. AC circulation will reach the 3rd row better, possibly resulting in better 3rd row cooling, since there is no obstruction of the middle seat in the path of the AC duct.

4. Ingress to the 3rd row may be possible without performing the ritual of folding of seats (for small built people, at least !)

5. A small handbaggage could be accomodated in the space released in the middle row (should be small enough to avoid fully blocking the AC duct).

In my case, to achieve the above, the bigger half of the 2 + 1 seat will have to be replaced with a bucket seat. I am looking to do this, if feasible

Last edited by mooza : 24th September 2010 at 08:00.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

A very detailed report and the posts are very informative.
How many Kms was it clocked by the previous owner?
You are maintaining the vehicle very nicely and it is screaming for alloys.

Given couple of stars to this.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 24th September 2010 at 15:25.
Old 25th September 2010, 07:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
A very detailed report and the posts are very informative.
How many Kms was it clocked by the previous owner?
You are maintaining the vehicle very nicely and it is screaming for alloys.

Thanks Ramsagar ! The previous owner had clocked 78k kms.

Yes, you have read my mind, I am thinking about alloys too, especially after I heard that alloy wheels contribute to better handling.

A point which I forgot to mention in my previous posts :

With all the improvements in my suspension, it is tempting to push the vehicle quicker around corners on account of the reduced body roll. But I have been taking care to maintain a more sedate driving style compared to my Ikon, since I know for sure that while the body roll has certainly reduced, giving more comfort, the CG hasn't !
Old 25th September 2010, 08:06   #43
BHPian

Very interesting ride mooza you have had so far. Nicely written with lots of details. I was very intrigued by the bit about enhancing ride comfort by using better shocks..What's the no of kilometres after 78k you've clocked in your ownership experience so far?
Rated the thread as well.
Cheers
rpmx
Old 25th September 2010, 11:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rpmx100, I have logged nearly 11k kms as on date, after my purchase. This figure will jump up a notch in end October, when I plan to drive my Scorpio to Mumbai and back ! I plan to do a check up of the vehicle at the service station (fluid levels, brakes) a couple of weeks prior to this.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:37   #45
BHPian

Mooza, really a good report and I went through it in one go. Rated thread as excellent. I am researching on an SUV and was helped by your detailed review. Am planning to buy a used scorpio now. Can you tell me in your opinion, for city rides and occasional touring, which year and above model should I be looking for? What were the things you considered before buying the vehicle? Any tips on checks to be done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks