Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 00:04   #46
BANNED

Re: Chevy Spark 25,000 km Review

[quote=VikrantD;2569737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
Hi!

i have chevy spark 2008 model and has wonderfully done 30000 km. Average running is around 1100 km per month and becomes costly to run this cute car because of petrol prices. So i was thinking of getting a CNG kit fitted. But i had following few concerns. it would be greatful if i could get your useful comments about them:

Mine is also a 2008 model. Its beautiful.

1. i have only one car and i am not planning to buy a second atleast in next 2 years. but since CNG cylinder eats up the entire boot space it might be a little worry going on vacations.

This is my only car too. Yes, the cylinder eats up the entire boot. Vacations should not be a worry as you get nice overhead carriers these days. Many people are worried about spoiling the look of their car. But, the cute carrier really does not look bad.

It will definitely be a task to cover the luggage with say a tarpaulin cloth in the rains. But that should not be a problem either. The cloth takes care of it.

And here's the math. I travel 2000 km per month. My petrol expense was almost 10,000 a month. I am now spending about 3500. Should I really worry about a damn boot? No !!

2. 65kg dead space + 1 or 2 passengers at the back 50% of the time. the car will sit horribly low. wont it? does it affect shockers?

The car can be raised at the rear. Mine is. Let me see what my mechanic exactly did and get back to you on this.

I really don't think the shocks will be affected. They are designed for our beautiful Indian roads. And I live in a lovely city called Mumbai with "the most lovely roads". My car shocks are fine.

3. getting PUC done and that insurance thing is a pain or is it easy?

Emissions are lower for CNG than petrol. Correct me if I am wrong. PUC should not be a worry.

Insurance: You HAVE TO inform your insurance company once you convert to CNG. If the insurance is already paid for, they will charge you a nominal difference after a physical inspection. I paid 560 bucks after converting to CNG.

4. my mom gets scared after hearing news about CNG cars getting burnt, is it safe? i think it is.

Don't worry. Its safe. Tell your mom that the buses and taxis which she rides in are all CNG. Plus, it depends upon how well you maintain your car and how well informed you are about CNG.

5. i heard from few chevy spark owners who installed CNG kits that the car misfiers/backfiers a lot and maintenance cost has increased significantly.

Not the same with my car. I have not yet experienced this.

Maintenance: Always a debatable point. If you are the types who regularly maintains his car, then the maintenance cost would be the same as that on petrol. Here's what has been advised by my mechanic. I have to service the car at every 5000 kms (which is anyways the case for Spark). I have to change the engine oil every 5000 kms (again, same for most of the cars). I have to change the spark plugs every 10,000 kms (this one is IMP. has to be followed).

Look buddy. I too had similar doubts before I migrated to CNG. But with these petrol prices, I just had to take the plunge. And now I am all smiles when I drive out from the petrol pump. I would say go for it. The more you think over it, the more time you will waste and the petrol prices will just keep going north. However, if you are still unsure, I will message my cell number. Call me. I can always try and give you more info.
Thanks for all info. I am looking for a good place in pune

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2591348

Else will have to come down to thane for installation :-). Mine is also a spark. Want to know what trick your mechnic has done to shocks to take additional 65KG of cylinder?

Last edited by idea : 28th November 2011 at 00:09.
Old 18th February 2012, 17:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
I live on the Eastern Express Highway right behind Barbeque Nation in Thane. There is one Lovato Kit installer in the Shehnai Hall complex who does a pretty good job. He is also an authorized kit installer for Ashtavinayak Motors.
Hi Vikrant,

I have a swift and i am planning to go for CNG. Currently evaluating the brands I came across the same fitter at shehnai hall thane who claims to be Authorised for Lovato.

Understand from many posts that Lovato is a good brand and commands a good premium in price over the other brands. Was thinking to go for the Lovato thing. Wanted an understanding that how was the experience at Eco Fuel systems (Lovato Dealer at Shehnai Hall)? How was the installation and how professional were the guys handling your car? In the conversion it more depends on the skill rather than the equipment.

How was your overall experience with the fitter?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Abhishek
Old 25th February 2012, 10:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabhishek View Post
Hi Vikrant,

I have a swift and i am planning to go for CNG. Currently evaluating the brands I came across the same fitter at shehnai hall thane who claims to be Authorised for Lovato.

Understand from many posts that Lovato is a good brand and commands a good premium in price over the other brands. Was thinking to go for the Lovato thing. Wanted an understanding that how was the experience at Eco Fuel systems (Lovato Dealer at Shehnai Hall)? How was the installation and how professional were the guys handling your car? In the conversion it more depends on the skill rather than the equipment.

How was your overall experience with the fitter?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Abhishek
Good informed installer. Nice job. And the fact that you have a Swift, makes things even better. I had some minor issues with the Spark ... mainly size of the boot.

Go ahead and get the installation done from this installer. He takes care of the installation as well as the RTO procedures.
Old 25th February 2012, 10:45   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the reply and help Vikrant. I am going today to meet this guy and would finally decide today on which kit to go for. This would be good as this nearest to my place.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:52   #50
BANNED

[quote=idea;2591384]
Quote:

Thanks for all info. I am looking for a good place in pune

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2591348

Else will have to come down to thane for installation :-). Mine is also a spark. Want to know what trick your mechnic has done to shocks to take additional 65KG of cylinder?
Hi Vikrant..

Do share..
Old 30th June 2013, 13:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Its OK to feel passionate about your car, but please don't give misleading information on the forum.

25 km to a litre.

By the way, the ARAI certified fuel efficiency of Spark is 18 kmpl as per Chevrolet website.

Rohan
It may seem a little unrealistic but it may be true. If you know how to extract the best fuel efficiency, you can easily get a 25 on highway. My old M800 5-speed gave me 28-30 on a certain highway run at a sedate 70-80 kmph in top gear. My Beat D gave me 21 in city when I babied it [Babying- using only clutch to get the car moving, and using accelerator only when the clutch is fully depressed, up-shifting at a max 1500rpm in evry gear, anticipating stops, 5th gear at 45, etc,etc]. Sure I don't always drive like that, I like to pull a gear or two sometimes and I generally get 19+ in city with AC and 26-27 at highways at 80-90 [ARAI of Beat is 25.44]. I read reviews and see people quoting figures like 14-16kmpl for Beat D in city. Its a matter of driving style more than anything.
ARAI gives efficiency figures for a mixed bag of driving conditions.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post

It may seem a little unrealistic but it may be true. If you know how to extract the best fuel efficiency, you can easily get a 25 on highway. My old M800 5-speed gave me 28-30 on a certain highway run at a sedate 70-80 kmph in top gear. My Beat D gave me 21 in city when I babied it [Babying- using only clutch to get the car moving, and using accelerator only when the clutch is fully depressed, up-shifting at a max 1500rpm in evry gear, anticipating stops, 5th gear at 45, etc,etc]. Sure I don't always drive like that, I like to pull a gear or two sometimes and I generally get 19+ in city with AC and 26-27 at highways at 80-90 [ARAI of Beat is 25.44]. I read reviews and see people quoting figures like 14-16kmpl for Beat D in city. Its a matter of driving style more than anything.
ARAI gives efficiency figures for a mixed bag of driving conditions.
Correct. Depends a lot on your driving style. Anyways, we sold the Spark after a handsome 52 k and purchaded the Figo Titanium TDCI. Enjoying every bit of it. Just crossed 4000 kms. From the second thankful, shes beeing returning a constant 17 plus, thane-malad run. Will write a review shortly...
Old 7th July 2013, 13:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Correct. Depends a lot on your driving style. Anyways, we sold the Spark after a handsome 52 k and purchaded the Figo Titanium TDCI. Enjoying every bit of it. Just crossed 4000 kms. From the second thankful, shes beeing returning a constant 17 plus, thane-malad run. Will write a review shortly...
Congratulations on your excellent buy. Figo is one hell of a package. If we had to keep only a single vehicle, it would have been the Figo, but we went for the Beat as our city hatch, and would add a highway machine later, most probably a sedan or a compact SUV. Just curious, for how much did you sell the Spark?
And happy mile-munching with the baby Ford. :-)
Old 14th July 2013, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Congratulations on your excellent buy. Figo is one hell of a package. If we had to keep only a single vehicle, it would have been the Figo, but we went for the Beat as our city hatch, and would add a highway machine later, most probably a sedan or a compact SUV. Just curious, for how much did you sell the Spark?
And happy mile-munching with the baby Ford. :-)
Sold the Spark for 1.15. I had maintained it pretty well. No need to sell it as such. But it was time to go for a diesel. And the Figo fit the pocket well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks