Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 09:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Guys where I can find the car care link in team-bhp? I mean thread for washing / waxing / cleaning the car in best possible way to avoid any scratches.
Please post the same.
Anand,

Here you go with the link .. You got more than you asked for

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 26th November 2010, 10:43   #17
BHPian

Congratulations for deciding Swift D. "Swift Diesel Rocks".

1. If planning for more highway drives move to 185/70/R14 - Michelin XM1+
2, 3, 4, 5 already answered by Jaggu.
6. Good seat covers of Gport, Ovions would be good.

Please have a good run-in and periodic Oil/Filer change for every 5K kms.
All other mods can be done on installments if necessary.
Enjoy the ride.

Quote:
I would like bhpians to pour in their expert opinions about the following upgrades:
1) I have got MRF tyres with car instead of pathetic JK. Should I still go for upgrades to Michleans etc?
2) I am looking for budget audio system. Would Pioneer 6050 double din make a good buy? what about speakers?
3) What should be ideal tyre pressure on front and rear wheels?
4) I have got 3M film -20 installed with help of dealer. Is it ok?
5) Should I go for anti-rust/corrosion coating and 3M paint protection?
6) I have got seat covers. Any recommend place in south Bangalore where I can get them fitted?
7) Team-bhp stickers- I am not able to order via debit card. Not sure why?
8) Anything else I missed?
Old 28th November 2010, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Thanks guy for all your wishes.
Yesterday I had a chance to take my tiger on her first long ride. She behave impeccably. That too on her original paws..err I mean MRFs. We went to Talkad-150kms from Bangalore on Mysore road. Though the initial kms were good road wise but it had too much traffic. Then when we took the diversion to maddur from Mysore road the road become worse. It was filled with big pothole that a little deeper and you would have been on other side of the globe(kidding). But the road was really bad for 30kms and disappeared after that. But there was not a single whimper made by the car. She cruised over them and also fast driven by my friend while returning on the same route(I was bit upset about it and was cursing inside). But she did not loose her composer despite she was only 100kms old. I really felt bad on return that I treated her that way so soon. Even she did not put any strain on legs while we took traffic filled road less road of vijaynagar(thanks to metro and BBMP).
I really felt that swift is a good handler and maruti has also worked on its quality issues to some extent. Though she is not fully equipped with arms like its zxi cousin, I decided to gift her new seats and autocop protections. I am sure she would like it.
I would also like to know from experts that is it ok to take new car on bad roads like I did(bad of me)? Though it is not making any noise but still is there something I should/can do now? I am worried as this is my first car and i am no expert in driving.

Also I tried to prevent that 2000rmp rage as much as possible on empty roads, but I crossed it few times accidentally. I hope it is ok? I also tried to touch 80kms few times and be under 2000rpm at the same time.

Last edited by Anandg : 28th November 2010 at 20:17.
Old 28th November 2010, 20:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guy for all your wishes.
Yesterday I had a chance to take my tiger on her first long ride. She behave impeccably. That to0 on her original paws..err I mean MRFs. We went to Talkad-150kms from bangalore on mysore road. Though the initial kms were good road wise but it had too much traffic. Then when we took the diversion to maddur from mysore road the road become worse. It was filled with big pothhole that a little deeper and you would have been on other side of the globe(kidding). But the road was really bad for 30kms and disappeared after that. But there was not a single wimper made by the car. She crused over them and also fast driven by my friend while returning on the same route(I was bit upset about it and was cursing inside). But she did not loose her composer despite she was only 100kms old. I really felt bad on return that I treated her that way so soon. Even she did not put any strain on legs while we took traffic filled road less road of vijaynagar(thanks to metro and BBMP).
I really felt that swift is a good handler and maruti has also worked on its quality issues to some extent. Though she is not fully equipped with arms like its zxi cousin, I decided to gift her new seats and autocop protections. I am sure she would like it.
I would also like to know from experts that is it ok to take new car on bad roads like I did(bad of me)? Though it is not making any noise but still is there something I should do now? I am worried as this is my first car and i am no expert in driving. New car or old car there is no difference as far as suspension goes. As long as you do not scrape the body or hit potholes fast (relative term). If it makes you feel good I went through horrible Khanapur Londa Ponda in my Dzire with out any side effect.

Also I tried to prevent that 2000rmp rage as much as possible on empty roads, but I crossed it few times acs.cidentally. I hope it is ok? I also tried to touch 80kms few times and be under 2000rpm at the same time.
In 5th gear 2000rpm corresponds to 80 kmph and is quite fine in a new car.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:03   #20
BHPian

Hi Members,
I gave my tiger a body wash today. Due to unavailability of running water via pipe hose I had to take her to closest wash center. The guys used light pressure of water to clean the hard dirt and then before they could jump on using they abrasive dirty towel to clean my car I gave them chamois towel to ensure that the car is not scratched. This work costed me 190(150 + 40Rs tip to cleaning guys). They used chick shampoo as cleaning agent as I forgot my formula1 wash and wax at home ;( . I always stayed closer to my car to ensure that they do not wash it like a Sumo Taxi. Then I came back home and gave another wet wipe with clean chamois to car and then shinned it with green thick hair type glove. This brought the shine back on my beauty.
Though this was bit rude process but lesson learnt the hard way. Need to always use formula1 wash and wax to ensure that other chemicals do not damage paint on the car. And yes I found the Chamois cloth (synthetic one Rs200) to be very helpful. It is way better that another other towels we use.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:11   #21
BHPian

when i read your thread introduction, i almost felt deja vu as its been a dream for me to own a black swift (vxi or vdi) for almost 3 years now. Wife was not too keen at that time and ended up wtih a used fusion and it was quite comfortable for our frequent chennai - pondy , chennai - bangalore and annual chennai - bangalore - bombay trips but then 2 weeks back met with a head on in new bombay returning from work and the fusion looks like it will have to be buried.

so im back to considering my old desire for the swift.

its so funny that in the last 2 years that i owned a car, i would confidently give advice to anyone wanting to buy a car asking him questions on usage type, number of people travelling etc etc but now that it comes to my own choice, i have re read all my autocar and auto bild issues for the past 1 year and ended up thoroughly confusing myself. Confusing not so much in terms of features, vfm etc but just that for every 50k more, there is a new choice...

I have finally narrowed it down to either the swift vxi or swift vdi or the figo diesel. I have no patience to wait for 4 to 6 months for a vdi so i think that will be out. The swift VXI wil cost approx 5.2 lakhs on road and i think should be able to give a 12kmpl/15kmpl in city and highway driving which im happy with. However, what excites me slightly is the fiesta 1.4 engine which is placed in the figo.

Plan to approach showrooms in the 2nd week of december and then haggle for discounts and hope to get some since its year end.

Any suggestions or advice will be welcome.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:13   #22
BHPian

Hi Vijay,
I wish you all the best to get into this confusing vortex.
As of now I have spend 7L from my pocket on the car(swift vdi comes with nothing and thanks to taxes here in this roadless city). But the best part is I have full control on what I want inside my car and trust me the car responds well too.

Figo I know is a full featured car and is a good buy if you are ok with looks. But let me tell you, let your heart decide the aesthetics part and brain decide features and then take best of both. Though your heart becomes more powerful here. Also remember that you need to take your car on bad roads most of the time(this is why we elect corporators /MLAs). Swift and punto are best in this regard. Fix your budget and you shall get the answer.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey AnandG,
Congratulations on your new great ride! And very nice pictures. A tiger indeed! just waiting to be unleashed to reach the 2000rpm magic number . Enjoy the adrenaline rush.

Just out of curiosity, why are many of us disliking JKs? I'm just interested to know if there is any performance / quality issue with them. I had JK Rally radials on my Omni for 4 years, and practically abused them. I went to Konkan frequently and the roads aren't something to write about at all. And I live in Pune. Google Pune Roads, and there is plenty fun to read. hehe. Still, I have not faced a single puncture. The ride and road grip is pretty decent too (OK I ride them with an Omni, and not a Swift, so...) Did reach 110kph on the e-way and it was fine.
Okay yes, the tyre profile is a bit slim on the stock MRF tires on the Swift and that can definitely be a reason for upgrade.

As for the music system, if you aren't an ultra music guy, and are okay with decent quality, Pioneer speakers should be good for you. If you are the Ultra kind, JBL should be the choice. The HU, again, If one thinks practically,its really a slim difference between a 1 DIN and a 2 DIN system apart from looks. If you go for a 1 DIN Pioneer, that actually leaves a little slot vacant under it in the dash board, where you could keep your little items, handy CDs etc...Do spend a few pennies more for USB ready HU. I've seen Blaupunkt, Pioneer etc, and the audio quality is better on USB than CD.

If you are anxious about your car's paint etc, go for the treatment - 3M etc. I didn't treat my Omni and made no difference. But my Vista is now in for 1st service and probably being treated with 3M and anti rust as I type here. It was a decision more by the heart than brain to be frank. If you aren't leashing your tiger under a tree for long or something like that, don't spend on 3M. Anti rust can be still good. 3M is "supposed to be" good against tree sap or bird droppings etc.

You must be aware of the usual "mind control" steps of run-in period...Try to stay under 2000-2500 rpm even if the MUL guy would have told you not to worry and floor it.
If its your first diesel and you have experience of driving petrols for long, be patient with the engine. Yes the MJD is a dream diesel, but off guard, and you may be searching for power at a steep angled turn in the hills. We don't get the "Power by Pedal" as in petrol here. Just revving the engine hard doesn't do any good. Keep it smooth and calm in the power band and the engine actually thanks you vocally with a brilliant turbo-humm. I myself sometimes switch off the music system to enjoy it!

Always wear a seatbelt! Happy motoring!
Wishing you unlimited happy and safe kilometers with the TIGER!

Cheers!
Old 29th November 2010, 19:06   #24
BHPian

Thanks Reinhard,
I am happy to receive your first post as a compliment for me.
The stock tyres are not bad, its just that Michleans / others are better.

Your advice for audio system is spot on. I just gifted my tiger Pioneer HU 6050 and Hertz speakers(components front and oval co-axials rear) and they sound amazing. I do not require woofer now. That made a dent of 19k on my pocket though.

I am planning to go for 3m treatment on my first service - members are divided over the treatment here and myself being paranoid for my car , i might go for it in first service.

Yes though I am not a good driver and this is my first car, I learn many things about swift in this forum and shall keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks a ton for that.

Wish you a happy time learning new things in team bhp.

Seat covers or saddle for the car:
My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)-img_4821.jpg

Last edited by Anandg : 29th November 2010 at 19:12.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:53   #25
BHPian

Tiger covered 400kms today. No issues so far. Hertz system sounds perfect for me.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:06   #26
BHPian

Guys,
Noticed a thing here. After fitting the autocop. The moment I start the car, all the doors get locked (lock switch moves to lock). Now I do not remember how was it earlier. I think it was once car attains speed of 20kms..it should get locked. Can members please confirm if it is normal behavior or should I get it checked? Please let me know the default behavior of the car auto lock mechanism without the autocop installed. Though the autocop is working fine.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Noticed a thing here. After fitting the autocop. The moment I start the car, all the doors get locked (lock switch moves to lock). Now I do not remember how was it earlier. I think it was once car attains speed of 20kms..it should get locked. Can members please confirm if it is normal behavior or should I get it checked? Please let me know the default behavior of the car auto lock mechanism without the autocop installed. Though the autocop is working fine.
It is not something to be panic about. Some central locking systems work in two methods drive lock/unlock or time lock/unlock. The former one triggers lock/unlock based on the speed and the latter one based on time. The MGA Nipon can be programmed to operate in both ways. I am not sure about the autocop one, but all my friends with autocop has a time triggered lock/unlock. Do check with the installer whether autocop supports drive lock/unlock.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:40   #28
BHPian

Thanks @bhp_maniac for clearing the confusion. I shall read the manuals now to check the which one is mine.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:53   #29
BHPian

Anand : Congrats on ur purchase , and wait is really substantiated for the car. Especially for with ABS option it takes a long time ( reason as i know is demand is less so production is also less for VDI with ABS )

My car is also VDI with ABS and year old now. I suggest for upgrading the tyres : 195 / 60 /R15 ( i have yokohama ES 100) and the drive on these tyres are like a breeze with little noise ( because of the tyre pattern).

Went in for Lenso Alloys with above configuration

Please also post pics of the PIO 6050 double DIN - i have old pioneer 5050 with JBL components in the front and speakers in the rear .

Once again congrats and definetly you wont regret on ur decision for buying this ; day to day sweet memories and driving experiences will be accumulated.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:06   #30
BHPian

Thanks praveen for those words.
I shall surely post pics of the double din system tomorrow along with interiors of the car.
I got MRF with the car and lack of vitamin M from home ministry made me cancel the Michleans I was planning to buy

Most Viewed