Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2005, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Scorpio CRDe - intial impression 600kms. Now updated with 10000 km report

hello guys, glad to share with you all that i took delivery of scorpio crde 2.6 base model, 8 seater black colour. got a cash discount of 32000 and was able to get no claim bonus on insurance from my previous car for about 8k. total deal after discount stands at 7.32lakhs. i took delivery on monday and would like to share with you the following observations.

Engine - first thing that comes to my mind is the engine. it is awesome. at idle noise is almost negligible. well refined. that too for a person graduating from an indica it looks too good. power delivery is very good and the higher torque is very helpful in crawling city traffic. acceleration is very good and you almost forget that it runs on a sticky fluid. its highly responsive and am not able to feel the turbo lag at all. i think this is the best part of the car. there is a slight rattling noise when accelerating the car in the thrid gear at low speeds.

gear box - gear shift is good but still not very smooth. changing gears takes a fraction longer than it used to be in my indica. could be due to longer throw or may need some time to get used to it.

interiors - front seats are good with decent leg room. middle row lacks leg room, however it will be more pronounced for a taller person. ac blower at the centre reduces the leg room to a greater extent. i dont understand why they havent comeup with roof mounted ac. hope its addressed soon. glove box is very small. smaller than indica and a lock is absent. there are number of cup holders, a holder for car remote and coin holder. instrument cluster is functional. however the odometer view is blocked in most of the steering positions. it comes with rear view mirrors on left side as well and its very handy. another annoying this is the horn. it works only when it is pressed at two points. so at times when your hand is correctly positioned, it doesnt work.

looks - though i have got a base model without cladding, ski rack, body coloured bumpers etc.. still she looks pretty. road presence is great and its surely an eye turner.

brakes - not confidence inspiring. though they have come up with larger brake booster, still not very good. maybe ply is too high for comfort. when brakes are applied, it doesnt look linear and seems to just grab at the last second.

ride quality - within the city, we are able to cruise over poth holes with ease. this is true for the passengers in the front seats and to an extent in the middle row.however last rough is not that comfortable and landing the car on uneven surface at a decent speed would make the rear seat passengers hit the roof easily. though there is no jerk front seat passengers are made to dance from one side to another as it moves over the pothhole.
i havent taken the vehicle beyond 90kms on a long stretch, so i will not be able to comment on the high speed stability.

complaints -
bonnet doesnt fit exactly in its place and there is a slight vibration when accelerating. have already informed them and have assured to fix it this weekend.

had a strange engine noise when i took her on a highway at higher speed for the first time. but after few minutes it disappeared. dealer told me that it could be because of airblock in the pump. havent encountered it again.

seat belt in the driver seat doesnt fit exactly into the slot and so there is constant annoying tick tick sound.

apart from that its pleasure to drive in the city and my wife is also finding it very easy to drive.

mileage- i have topped up once and havent topped up again. so have to wait for some more time.

thanks for reading.

regards
krishna.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice objective review there, Krishna. We'll look forward to further updates on this thread - I'm not sure of it, but I doubt if we have a comprehensive Scorpio CRDe owner's review on the forum yet.
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Nice objective review there, Krishna. We'll look forward to further updates on this thread - I'm not sure of it, but I doubt if we have a comprehensive Scorpio CRDe owner's review on the forum yet.
thanks steeroid. i guess there are not much scorpio owners out here. i have tried to search for such reviews but in vain. i am planning to go up country in a week or two. shall update after doing so. i would be more than glad to share my experience.

krishna.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is the option of having a roof mounted AC. I am not sure how much extra they charge for this but it is most certainly available as an option.

It would be good to get this as standard as the middle row AC position is not very good.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
There is the option of having a roof mounted AC. I am not sure how much extra they charge for this but it is most certainly available as an option.

It would be good to get this as standard as the middle row AC position is not very good.
yes, we have an option to have roof mounte ac. but the ac console will remain in place hindering the leg room. so the purpose is lost.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
yes, we have an option to have roof mounte ac. but the ac console will remain in place hindering the leg room. so the purpose is lost.
I thought they would get rid of the centre blowers if you went for a roof mounted AC. So do these blowers still function if you go for the roof mounted AC ? I agree it hinders leg room. The ac console does protrude too far into the leg room area.

Sitting in the centre of the middle row is a pain as the floor has raised hump which mean you have to spread your legs to either side (very uncomfortable unless you are a little kid).
Old 23rd December 2005, 15:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
I thought they would get rid of the centre blowers if you went for a roof mounted AC. So do these blowers still function if you go for the roof mounted AC ?
if i am right, the console will be in place, but the blowers wont work.
Old 26th December 2005, 20:38   #8
BHPian

AC blower

In lighter vein, here is what happend to us. A couple of us took the Scorpio for a test ride and took turns driving it. When i got to sit in the back seat (centre) and the a/c blower aimed directly at your crotch, pretty soon you have frozen ****... I am glad they chose to offer a roof mounted blower unit..
Old 26th December 2005, 21:10   #9
BHPian

thanx for the test buddy.myself planning a buy soon....
Old 27th December 2005, 04:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good review,man. I wish i could have turned up during ur delivery. Hope to see ur baby as soon as ur back in town.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
thanx for the test buddy.myself planning a buy soon....
having waited till now, with a new model with lotus designed suspension on the anvil, hope you wait for a couple of months before you go ahead with your decision.
Old 18th February 2006, 14:28   #12
BHPian

5500km report - mods please change the title accordingly

hello friends, scorpio has just come out of its first service (5,500km - odo reading) and here is the report of my brief ownership. its exactly took 60days for odo to reach that mark.i took her only once out for a long outing on a chennai-mysore-coorg-mangalore-chennai route during the second week of jan (did 2350km in that trip), apart from that its all city driving.

basic information:

diet - always HSD from a regular bunk in chennai, but had to feed her with extramile during the mangalore trip.

how thirsty - gulps down a litre for every 9.5 to 10km, no matter whether is high way or city. best around 10.5 kmpl, worst 9.3 kmpl.(was expecting more, lets see how it performs after the service)

driving style-

within the city - driving with a light right foot
up country - was doing average of 100 to 110kmph. top speed was 140kmph on a very brief stretch.

complaints during the first service:

bonnet not properly seated in its position (had this problem from day one, but dint want to visit the service station just for this) - visible vibrations in the bonnet, was more pronounced at higher speeds. - fixed during first service

driver seat belt locking mechanism not proper - constant annoying sound - they said it has been fixed, but we are not fully satisfied.

seat reclining lever in the middle row got unbolted from its place and was found on the floor- now back in its position.

excessive black smoke/soot (just to show the service guy, i accelerated at idle and was really shocked to see the kind of soot it spewed,it was thick jet black smoke, asked the service, whether it is to do with EGR (thanks to TBHP ), he also suspected that, (i could make it from his face that he thought of me as an expert (thanks to TBHP again ..but it took 2 minutes for the mechanic to identify the problem with a faulty oil separator- it was changed free of cost- the problem is now fixed.

bill was Rs.1792 for oil changes and other consumables.

service experience - till date i have visited the service station thrice (VST auto agencies- service centre for INDIA GARAGE) and am very satisfied with their approach. Infact there is a person by name Mr.Muthu - guess he is the supervisor or the floor manager, he is very polite and seems to know what he is doing.

over all experience:

build quality is very good and there is not even a squeak or rattle from the car.. ( in fact during our trip to mangalore, i had drive thru some of the worst roads of my life, (mysore-hunsur-coorg route was pathetic,not even a single km of good road, its all poth holes all the way, similarly road from mysore -sharavabelagola and to melkote was very bad).

engine is fantastic and is revv happy. gearing is good and am able to pull even in 5th gear.

seating position for the driver is very good (drove all 2350 km in 5 days during out drive to mangalore, on the last leg of the tour did 750km from mangalore to mysore in 14hrs at a stretch, wasnt tired at all after that drive).

had a chance to test the braking ability when driving between kasergod to managlore, was cruising at 80kmph, there were three trucks coming the opposite direction one behind the other, so the view to the other side was completely blocked, moment the thrid truck crossed our car, a grand old man in his alto just drove straight across into our lane and stopped the car, ( god knows the reason, may be on a mission to meet him), i slammed on the brakes immediately and cut down from 5th to third and then 2nd. car came to a screeching halt but had atleast 10 feet between us and the alto. just got down to see for any tyre marks, but there was not any. it did step out of the line, but not too much.

having driven her extensively in the ghat section, its obvious that she is not very happy to change directions at higher speed (anything above 60kmph). she loses her poise easily, and say when you take a curve turning left at more than 60km, you right side rear view mirror is filled with your rear end. but if you drive within the limitations its a nice car to drive.

overall, i am very happy and satisfied customer till date and if given a second chance, i would still like to be stinged by the power of scorpio.

regards
krishna.
Old 18th February 2006, 14:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice report, bro.

Myself, Neoranjit, 5u3zero really enjoyed the comfort and ride quality of ur black scorpion.
Old 19th February 2006, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Nice report, bro.

Myself, Neoranjit, 5u3zero really enjoyed the comfort and ride quality of ur black scorpion.
thanks nitrous. hope we can go longer drive than that....
Old 21st February 2006, 15:42   #15
Tapan

Nice review. I have heared that there were some problems with turbo scropios? Are you facing any suspesion issues in CRDe Scorpio ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks