Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:01   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Androdev I doubt number 3 applies now, new car replacement in case of total loss is only in the first year I believe.
I think they do, but they have come up with cheaper variants of the Secure product now with reduced features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Apart from what's already mentioned, BMW also offers roadside assistance as a separate package which you can always opt for. Not sure about its terms and conditions though.

I just renewed my insurance too and didn't take secure for the same reasons as already mentioned above.

Also, how's the ownership experience been so far? Any warranty claims till date?
It has been a smooth ride after the transmission fiasco. No warranty issues also. The service is taken care of by BSI package and has not given me any opportunity to complain so far. But to be honest, the car is not being used as much as I expected, so I am not testing the limits of BSI, etc. It will be interesting to see how 4th/5th years turn out but I have a feeling it will be a smooth ride :-)
Old 24th March 2014, 10:28   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think they do, but they have come up with cheaper variants of the Secure product now with reduced features.
Do have a look at your fine print. I distinctly remember the car replacement only being in the first year. Doubt they have changed that. Also I think Secure is just the same, but there are cheaper versions of BSI with reduced features.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:31   #153
Senior - BHPian

There are now different variations of Secure with the highest variant including complete new car (with taxes) even in second year. But obviously the premium has gone up as well.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:57   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Just checked with the local dealer:

BMW Secure Ultimate (zero-depreciation, tyres, engine protector, new vehicle replacement)
BMW Secure Advantage (zero-depreciation, tyres, engine protector)
BMW Secure Essential (zero-depreciation, tyres)

Also looks like the BSI packages have been updated and priced much higher now I think. And you still can't buy BMW extended warranty without BSI service package.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 15:38   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

No news is good news I suppose :-) Another year completed and BMW sent me an insurance renewal quote which defies logic:

Previous year I paid 38K for comprehensive cover and 86K for Secure "ultimate". This year quote was 32K for comprehensive cover and 124K for Secure "advantage" - which is a lower-end product at a much higher cost. Here is the gist of the explanation I got from the dealer:

1. Secure ultimate is not available beyond 4 yrs. Only "essential" and "advantage" are offered for 5th and 6th year.
2. No NCB discount available for the 5th year - so NCB becomes 0 after 4 yrs!!

I always felt the BMW secure was not competitive but just continued to renew it as previous transmission incident made me very risk averse. But this time they made it very easy for me to switch. I am getting the same coverage from ICICI Lombard for 75K.
Old 25th March 2015, 16:27   #156
BHPian

Quote:
2. No NCB discount available for the 5th year - so NCB becomes 0 after 4 yrs!!

I always felt the BMW secure was not competitive but just continued to renew it as previous transmission incident made me very risk averse. But this time they made it very easy for me to switch. I am getting the same coverage from ICICI Lombard for 75K.
You should be able to transfer the NCB to ICICI Lombard and get the NCB discount. Very easy and straightforward option.
Old 25th March 2015, 16:40   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
You should be able to transfer the NCB to ICICI Lombard and get the NCB discount. Very easy and straightforward option.
BMW Secure is sold separately with it's own NCB etc. but I get what you mean, that's what I am doing.
Old 25th June 2015, 21:14   #158
BHPian

Hi Androdev, thanks for sharing info on your ride as well as for the updates!! I am new to the forum and am currently driving a F10 too! :ooking forward to write my review on it soon

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 6th April 2017, 14:42   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update:

Circa April-2016: Completed 5th year. Zero depreciation insurance from ICICI Lombard for ~65K. Service bill of about 50K that included brake pad replacement carried out under BSI. The car is now out of 5 year BSI coverage.

5-Apr-2017:
Car completed 6th year and 30K km. Bought zero depreciation insurance from TATA AIG for ~65K. Yearly service was just Rs 5K Just brake fluid change as per the iDrive. Still on original battery, impressive.

BMW's condition based servicing makes it really cost effective to own if the usage is less. Prospective buyers with low usage should really consider this aspect.

Two things I don't like about this car: poor ground clearance and rough 2L motor.
Two things I like about this car: Amazing road feel and feels more solidly built than Mercedes.

Our family has no problem with the rear seat/space. I like the BMW interior design. So check it yourself before you drop this car from your list. I have seen the new E class. It is great (10x) for rear passengers, that's about it - I would buy BMW 5 if I am in the market again for a car in this segment.

PS: The car was running on tires with 10-15 PSI, no TPMS warnings. Better to check pressure regularly instead of depending on TPMS.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 13:37   #160
BHPian

Hi Androdev, Akshay and others,

Thank you for all the information that you have shared. My 520D is about to complete 3 years (and yes, it has been a wonderful experience ;-))

I had taken a 3 yr BSI during the purchase of the car and have now been given a ludicrous quote by the dealer to extend it to 5 years (Rs 7L ).

Purely extended warranty for another 2 years is at Rs 2L.

Questions - are these quotes straight from BMW and non negotiable? Does it make sense to go for BSI at these rates? Or only extended warranty?

Any suggestions will be helpful - thanks

Last edited by car.lover : 24th July 2017 at 13:38. Reason: typo
Old 24th July 2017, 13:46   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Purely extended warranty for another 2 years is at Rs 2L.

Questions - are these quotes straight from BMW and non negotiable? Does it make sense to go for BSI at these rates? Or only extended warranty?

Any suggestions will be helpful - thanks
Get the extended warranty at any price. Skip the service package at any price
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 14:04   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Get the extended warranty at any price. Skip the service package at any price
Well said Bro. I made the mistake of taking the rip of service package for 3 Year 40K. Now my car will be 2 years, and I plan to get only extended warranty for 5 more years and not planning to renew service package after 3/40.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 22:41   #163
BHPian

Sorry if this post is not in the right group .Didn't find any official 520d 2011 models threads .Mods if Im wrong please change it to the official 520 thread.Just wanted to ask specifically some doubts to BMW owners.

One is if that if Ambient light is there like in the new models for 2011 model (December) 520d.Got it for a good price and the car itself was in excellent condition.So did not think twice.But then i have some queries regarding this as i never looked at the option of 5 series.I had booked Jeep Compass.But then when this car came through a friend of mine and and also because of the cess increase which will happen soon, (I assume) I cancelled the booking and went for this 520d.(Even though my dream car was 530d)

Hope i made a good decision.So can 520d owners throw some light for the same as i found only 525d and 530d as official threads.i did not see sports mode also which is there even in my Polo GT .So just wanted to know which all things is missing in the 520d compared to 525 and 530.Because this was a fast deal and unexpected i did not research much about the 520d which i usually do that for all cars i buy.

Also can i retro fit the new steering wheels with the paddle shift for this?? And sorry for the long post.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 1st September 2017 at 22:46.
Old 1st September 2017, 22:51   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Hope i made a good decision.So can 520d owners throw some light for the same as i found only 525d and 530d as official threads.i did not see sports mode also which is there even in my Polo GT .So just wanted to know which all things is missing in the 520d compared to 525 and 530.Because this was a fast deal and unexpected i did not research much about the 520d which i usually do that for all cars i buy.Also can i retro fit the new steering wheels with the paddle shift for this?? And sorry for the long post.
I am in the same boat as you, I just bought a 2011 525d, going against the advice of more knowledgeable people than me (GTO) as my heart won against brain. I put aside some money in case any problems arise (touchwood). For sports mode, push the lever left for engaging sports mode when in drive. I am not sure about ambient lighting for the 520d but i don't think it has it.

About the steering wheel with paddles, VAGTUNE (vagtune.in) has a sport steering wheel with paddles listed on its website for ~ 96,000rs. Contact them to see if it's possible.
abhiram7912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:12   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
... I cancelled the booking and went for this 520d.(Even though my dream car was 530d)

Hope i made a good decision.So can 520d owners throw some light for the same as i found only 525d and 530d as official threads.i did not see sports mode also which is there even in my Polo GT .So just wanted to know which all things is missing in the 520d compared to 525 and 530.Because this was a fast deal and unexpected i did not research much about the 520d which i usually do that for all cars i buy.

Also can i retro fit the new steering wheels with the paddle shift for this?? And sorry for the long post.
Having bought it, think positive and enjoy it It is a great car. I don't think there are any known reliability issues with this car. Also because of the condition based servicing, it will be relatively cheaper to own if your usage is moderate.

There is no ambient lighting.

Looks like you have a Polo TSI. The engine of 520D might underwhelm you, not in terms of power but it lacks refinement, etc. Don't let that disappoint you, it is still a great car as long you don't expect TSI like behaviour from the engine. 530D is very hard to find and I am sure that car will be priced very high in Bangalore market, so I feel you made the right choice.

520D has sports mode, you just have to nudge the gear shift lever towards the passenger side to put in sports and then you can push it back and forth to row into manual mode. BUT don't bother. 2L engine is very gruff.

New steering wheel: get it if you like the looks. 520D steering wheel looks cheap (relatively). Don't get it for paddle shifts, they are no fun on diesel cars (just my opinion) and definitely not on this 2L. If you need sudden power boost to overtake, just use kick down.

Overall I think 5 series (for the highway) and Polo TSI (for the city) is a fantastic combo to have.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks