Old 14th May 2011, 14:14   #76
evo
BHPian

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Attachment 544452
Source: RealOEM.com * BMW F10 520d Switch unit steering column

This whole part needs replacement to fix the broken wiper stalk!!
Thats just crazy! Is it covered under insurance?
Old 16th May 2011, 16:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

A.S.S told me it will be covered under insurance if supported by a police complaint for vandalism, etc. I will have more information after I go through the actual claim process.

Silly actually, it is just a minor plastic casing damage. Just because BMW makes it as a large steering column component I need to pay for the whole thing. It is very much possible to do jugaad fix but don't have the heart to do that on a BMW. Experienced similar situation before also - quite a few parts are too large, so minor damages require large parts replacement, when common-sense predicts that it will be a tiny part.

Let us see. Will update as things unfold.

Last edited by androdev : 16th May 2011 at 17:00.
Old 17th May 2011, 10:16   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I will lose NCB both on insurance and secure :(

I am planning to claim insurance for everything possible and just ignore the benefits of NCB. It is expensive to get a BMW fixed without insurance even for minor issues - so the probability of retaining NCB status over a period of time is pretty low.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:10   #79
BHPian

@androdev, referring to the pic posted. I did not know that the 5 series comes without navigation ? You have installed what looks like an after market navigator.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:07   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
@androdev, referring to the pic posted. I did not know that the 5 series comes without navigation ?
Navigation is super rare in India as an option :(

Quote:
You have installed what looks like an after market navigator.
It is just a windows tablet PC running Garmin nav software, mounted with a suction cup. It is easy to mount/unmount and does duty on whichever car goes for a long/unknown-route trip.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:31   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Just an update:

Got the broken wiper stalk repaired for 40K. Did not claim insurance even though I had the option. Partly for NCB and partly for 'too much hassle for nothing'. The part replacement took few minutes but the "programming" the control modules took several hours so had to collect the car next day! Apparently the control modules are programmed online using a German server.

The comparison car Laura L&K will soon be decommissioned :(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html
Old 1st July 2011, 14:19   #82
evo
BHPian

Quote:
I will lose NCB both on insurance and secure :(

I am planning to claim insurance for everything possible and just ignore the benefits of NCB. It is expensive to get a BMW fixed without insurance even for minor issues - so the probability of retaining NCB status over a period of time is pretty low.
Makes sense. NCB on even on 1.5 lakh premium will be 75 K at max, and decrease every year as IDV decreases. However parts will be far more.

Quote:
Just an update:

Got the broken wiper stalk repaired for 40K. Did not claim insurance even though I had the option. Partly for NCB and partly for 'too much hassle for nothing'. The part replacement took few minutes but the "programming" the control modules took several hours so had to collect the car next day! Apparently the control modules are programmed online using a German server.

The comparison car Laura L&K will soon be decommissioned :(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html
ouch !
Old 28th July 2011, 01:36   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been a bit unkind to the BMW in my review :-) But driving this car in the night is very special! One complaint is I am not able to stop the car smoothly in stop-and-go traffic. The brakes bite too sharp, it gets worse with auto-hold on. Hoping it will get better with time.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a bit unkind to the BMW in my review :-) But driving this car in the night is very special! One complaint is I am not able to stop the car smoothly in stop-and-go traffic. The brakes bite too sharp, it gets worse with auto-hold on. Hoping it will get better with time.
Have heard quite a few folks not to happy with the auto-hold. Even on the Audi. I am sure you will get use to the bite, and the car shall halt smoothly soon.
what about the HUD, can this be fitted on your car too?
Old 29th August 2011, 12:16   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

520D is proving to be a good buy. Few observations:

- Cruise control user interface implementation in this car is WOW. 5 stars. I have used CC in VW, Merc, Volvo family cars and this is in a different class. Of course, not much useful in India but I was missing it while driving in UK recently. UK has very strong speed limit laws and you constantly have to switch between 30, 50, 70 mph.

- Gear shift knob too is fantastic! Much better than other brands. It displays the drive/reverse/park,etc. mode on the shift knob itself. Which is so much better than having to read it in the instrument panel. Merc/E-class was really terrible - it has really long throw and never felt sure which mode it slotted.

- Recently drove 160KM on BLR-HYD highway with a mix of city, highway, sports, etc. and onboard display showed 15 kmpl and full tank range of around 900-1000 km. Excellent.

- Was able to mount a child-seat (reasonably large size - maxi cosi priori) in the middle of the rear seat and it was comfortable enough for two adults to sit in the back, fix/remove their seat-belts and stuff. This is awesome for my needs as I don't have to waste a proper adult seat space to fix a child seat. (Couldn't do this in Laura/Corolla)

- There is no place to keep water bottles in the door pockets!?

- Wind noise is noticeable after 120 kmph
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:21   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
520D is proving to be a good buy. Few observations:

- Was able to mount a child-seat (reasonably large size - maxi cosi priori) in the middle of the rear seat and it was comfortable enough for two adults to sit in the back, fix/remove their seat-belts and stuff. This is awesome for my needs as I don't have to waste a proper adult seat space to fix a child seat. (Couldn't do this in Laura/Corolla)
Thanks Androdev for the updates. Can you please post a picture of the Child Seat attached to the rear middle seat? You got it fixed on the ISOFIX mounts?
Old 29th August 2011, 12:34   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks Androdev for the updates. Can you please post a picture of the Child Seat attached to the rear middle seat? You got it fixed on the ISOFIX mounts?
Will post the pic later.
The child seat we have doesn't have ISOFIX (not getting one in Bangalore for 9kg+ group including at Mothercare) and also I think none of the cars have ISOFIX for the middle seat.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:43   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will post the pic later.
The child seat we have doesn't have ISOFIX (not getting one in Bangalore for 9kg+ group including at Mothercare) and also I think none of the cars have ISOFIX for the middle seat.
Thanks Androdev!

Sorry, it’s my mistake. You’re right. ISOFIX mounts are normally on the left and right rear seats, and not on the middle one.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

Was very interesting to read your updates.
The joy stick shift is truly a joy to use. So i have read.
And the range and efficiency for such a large car is lind boggling.
So does the middle seat have a proper seatbelt or is it a lap belt?
Old 14th October 2011, 01:14   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So does the middle seat have a proper seatbelt or is it a lap belt?
Proper seat belt (not much space though)

Few updates:
I test drove the Audi A4 (2.0 TDI) and will be buying it as a replacement for the Laura. (Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2543771) I liked the black with brown seats of our 520D a lot and hence might get the same for A4 as well.

The test drive/sales talk, etc. took lot of my time and I was in serious rush to get home (to attend some family function). So I was on NICE road, driving with a sense of urgency, and suddenly I was shocked to see I crossed 200+. I didn't realize the speed! Sign of a good car, eh! And this is only 2L 520D. I kinda freaked out and slowed down after that.

Audi A4 tdi is a pretty dull driver in comparison - but its a decent all rounder, great for the city commute. My A4 test drive was actually in the proper city traffic as I wanted to see how smooth the car is in stop and go traffic. A4 was much smoother to launch and halt compared to 520D. BMW stops with a minor jolt and starts with another minor jolt. Not a big deal but well, at this level, minor irritants do bother.

I cant stop praising how good the gear shift knob of BMW is! You can 'flick' it to switch between S and D modes - if you are holding a phone or too lazy to grab the knob, u can just nudge it with fist. If I were to pick one feature that I like the most in 520D, it is the shift knob. It also has awesome cruise control interface, but rarely used here.

I saw the new A6 in the showroom. Has better interiors than F10. I was very sure they would have used brushed-aluminum-plastic in A6, but luckily they haven't used it - its all wood and real metal. So the interiors look classy. There is ample brushed-aluminum-plastic in A4, A7 and RS5 on display, see pics below:

A7
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0236.jpg
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0237.jpg

RS5
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0239.jpg
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0240.jpg

Last edited by androdev : 14th October 2011 at 01:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks