Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 13:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!

Hi,
I have been planning to do a long term ownership review for my M&M SCORPIO-BOSS from long time since now! BOSS has crossed 46k KM mark and here goes the journey so far…
I purchased the mHawk Scorpio in July-2008 while I had my earlier Crde SLX Scorpio. I retained my Crde for 6 months before I felt that the mHawk will be my primary ride at home.
HISTORY:
Why mHawk when Crde was present? Too much of body roll and high speed braking were two main issues. My mother would not get into Crde for long drives and we were using our sedans at home keeping Scorpio parked. During one of my Crde services, had the opportunity to drive a new mHawk-was impressed. This set the seed in my mind going to buy the new one. Convinced the family and purchased Black BOSS mHawk on 14th July, 2008. Insisted upon the dealer that I would only want Bridgestone’s and not JK Elanzos(Useless tyres!) on the new Scorpio. The BOSS came to me with 140km initial Odometer reading and was a pleasure to drive the much refined engine, rear suspensions’ and ‘slightly’ bettered interiors.
Firstly, why again a Scorpio? The Customer Service of M&M and the Dealer AML Motors, Ranigunj, Hyderabad is the SOLE REASON for the second Scorpio!

THE JOURNEY so FAR:
Why retain my Crde SLX for 6 months? This was just to ensure that I do not sell away a better proposition and be left with the other one. So, waited for 6 months till I assured myself that mHawk will ride on and am happy with the performance. Handling a mHawk was a breeze compared to Crde! The cornering was much sharper and confident and the long journeys were comfortable due to rear multi-link Lotus suspension set up. Doing ‘inch to inch’ driving was much more re-assuring with better power at tap. Also, long drives became much more pleasurable with ABS confidence (had great exposure on this front many a times on our Indian high ways!). The various gizmos in VLX were owners delight- cruise control was a real relaxing tool on highways as much as possible. TPMS was apt and much required.

Key Activities:
1. 180 km-Brake bleeding done as the car was pulling to left on braking
2. 906 km-AC expansion valve replaced due to the ‘whoa’ whistling noise
3. 4554 km- First servicing done, replaced rear view mirror due to buzzer defect
4. 6665 km- First long drive in BOSS from Hyd to Bidar with TBHP
5. 7489 km- Replaced AC expansion valve as part of new design part
6. 12041 km- Spare tyre wheel TPMS sensor replaced due to failure
7. 12617 km- Clutch master cylinder and power windows switch console replaced
8. 25290 km- Head lamps and tail lamps replaced as couple of them had water seepage and condensation
9. 27171 km-Brake master cylinder replaced due to issues with braking at above 60 kmph speeds
10. 33077 km- Brake booster replaced as there was a delay in brake effectiveness
11. 33823 km- Changed all suspension bushes, the ride is smoother
12. 36467 km- Replaced reverse gear switch
13. 39964 km- Steering column replaced due to noise
14. 42915 km- Star bearing, propeller shaft replaced due to noise
15. 44197 km- Clutch release bearing, pressure plates & assembly replaced as clutch became hard

BOSS is BOSS:
The entire above are not necessarily defects, but me being a obsessive car maintenance freak- I insist upon changing the parts if I have any suspicion. There are my friends and colleagues who make fun out of me for my passion, I tell them ‘It was Passion long time ago, now it is an Obsession’.
Recently dressed up my BOSS with new genuine leather seat covers from Saddles as a gift to my ride on the occasion of the success in crossing the 45k KM mark. I have never kept a car beyond 40K KM so far. BOSS is BOSS!
I enjoy my car and miss my car on my frequent business trips. M&M can definitely work upon the interiors and make the Scorpio a much better one than it is now. There is still a lot left to be desired… till then BOSS is always right!!
Enjoy some pictures and more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-boss-2008.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-46k-odo-reading.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-boss-gleams.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-boss-steering-wheel-view.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-boss-front-up.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-new-leathers-front-view.jpg  

Last edited by getsurya : 21st April 2011 at 13:41.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!

Super like your Post, and the way you went about your acquisition.

Thanks for answering one of the most pertinent questions about the Scorp, i.e. whether it was better to own the CRDE or the MHAWK.

5 Stars.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:02   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi

Which year did you buy your old 2.6 Crde SLX?
Is the rear suspension setup so much better in the new 2.2 Mhawk?
I bought my current 2.6 Crde in 2008 April - wasnt there some sort of suspension tweaking that they did on all the later 2.6 Crde models?

Just to know if there is such a significant difference between the old 2.6 Crde of (2005-2006 vintage), the newer 2.6 (2008 vintage) and the new 2.2 (2008 vintage) and now the newest 2.2's (2010-2011 era).

thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 16:31   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Key Activities:
3. 4554 km- First servicing done, replaced rear view mirror due to buzzer defect
4. 6665 km- First long drive in BOSS from Hyd to Bidar with TBHP
8. 25290 km- Head lamps and tail lamps replaced as couple of them had water seepage and condensation
9. 27171 km-Brake master cylinder replaced due to issues with braking at above 60 kmph speeds
10. 33077 km- Brake booster replaced as there was a delay in brake effectiveness
15. 44197 km- Clutch release bearing, pressure plates & assembly replaced as clutch became hard

BOSS is BOSS:
The entire above are not necessarily defects, but me being a obsessive car maintenance freak- I insist upon changing the parts if I have any suspicion.
I appreciate your fix it before its broken way of doing things.

But there some critical components in there that have a way longer life then what they have been replaced for. Some of them should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

The cost of ownership with this should have gone through the roof.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5 Stars.
Thank you Roy Libran! Appreciate it.

Quote:
Which year did you buy your old 2.6 Crde SLX?
Is the rear suspension setup so much better in the new 2.2 Mhawk?
Shankar, my Crde was 2005 make with leaf spring set up in the rear and hence too much of pitching and rolling. Multi-link suspension from Lotus is much an improvement to the leaf springs for sure!

Quote:
But there some critical components in there that have a way longer life then what they have been replaced for. Some of them should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

The cost of ownership with this should have gone through the roof.
Spitfire, i guess you are correct, however if some part does not pass my litmus test- i replace! works better for my kind of over caring person(for the car)

The maintenance costs have not shot up as many have been covered under warranty by M&M. Been a legacy customer for them and would continue so! M&M/Dealer have wonderful Customer service attitude for which i like them!

Last edited by getsurya : 21st April 2011 at 16:56.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:57   #6
BHPian

Nice long term ownership and the interiors looks pleasant.

The list of replacements is way too much. Even if its an obsession, I think you would have gone for a replacement because of a defect in the first place.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The list of replacements is way too much. Even if its an obsession, I think you would have gone for a replacement because of a defect in the first place.
Hi Krish, thank you. Not necessarily,I am a very finicky customer for my A.S.C. I do not leave my car when I give it for servicing. I stay there and get it done for the day.
I pick up noises when I drive and capture them on a log and get it rectified/replaced at A.S.C at the earliest.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Krish, thank you. Not necessarily,I am a very finicky customer for my A.S.C. I do not leave my car when I give it for servicing. I stay there and get it done for the day.
I pick up noises when I drive and capture them on a log and get it rectified/replaced at A.S.C at the earliest.
Getsurya, I could not understand the "finicky" customer thing.
All the defects you have mentioned are defects, and not a result of your finickiness, and need to be fixed by MFR

Lets take them one by one
Quote:
Key Activities:
Car pulling to the left is a defect. If brake bleeding fixed it, then it had to be fixed.

Quote:
This can be counted as finickyness, as noise for some is normal for some
Quote:
Again, buzzer defect. ITs a defect. Faulty part. Needs replacement

Quote:
Ok, this is a retrofit, done by many companies
Quote:
Again, Something stopped working. So its a defect. Not "finickyness".

Quote:
I cannot comment on this one because you have not mentioned the reason for replacement. Was the power window console not working. If so its a defect. Regarding clutch, was it too hard? If yes, again its a defect
Quote:
Thats definitely a defect. Its covered under warranty I hope. I also got the fog lamps replaced for water condensation under warranty
Quote:
Clear defect. ITs dangrous to have brakes which do not work properly
Quote:
Again, brake issue. From your list it seems that they first tried bleeding, and then part by part replacement to fix a real defect. I hope its completely fixed now

Quote:
Happes with rough roads
Quote:
Switch replacement means switch stopped working. Defect, we can say?
Quote:
If noise was not there for 39,000kms and then started coming, its a defect!
Quote:
Again, if some new noise starts coming, it needs to be fixed
Quote:
Again, hard clutch. A proper defect.

So from your 13 points, probably 1 or 2 are finickyness, and rest of the things are done because they were actual issues.

Going by this, I would give good marks to your A.S.S. if they replaced everything under warranty, but as for M&M, such workmanship does not inspire confidence. I had a different perception of Scorpio reliability, but going through a few threads makes me believe that the QC departments are not doing what they are supposed to do!

Guess, those wanting a truly reliable vehicle need to look at the 20L offerings in the SUV space, and thats a very sad thing for the Indian buyer
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 19:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Fair point. Why I said 'finicky' is because I tend to pick up the slightest noises and get them serviced, for many would not have even noticed the same. I am not defending M&M"s prowess in the product as I said earlier' a lot is left to be desired'.

For ex. Steering column noise: there was no noise practically, but I felt(with my extra antennae) that the steering is not taught like earlier. So, i get that resolved.

Yes, the QC departments are not doing what they are supposed to do. This is my complaint with all Indian Manufacturers(Like M&M, TATA etc). However, for the price we pay for our cars we can get better quality products. The Indian auto makers attitude S****
Old 21st April 2011, 20:58   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks. yes I agree the multi link suspension is way better than the old leaf springs.

now my 2008 2.6 crde has the multi link suspension but it is still bouncy and bumpy at the back - sways from side to side when going over speedbreakers etc unless one goes slowly. irritating.
I now understand that the new Mhawks suspension has been further tweaked and has improved even more compared with the earlier gen multilink suspension. was trying to get a fix on this from the owners of newer gen scorps - whether it is actually better or not.

Quote:
Shankar, my Crde was 2005 make with leaf spring set up in the rear and hence too much of pitching and rolling. Multi-link suspension from Lotus is much an improvement to the leaf springs for sure!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th April 2011 at 09:32. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 21st April 2011, 21:27   #11
BHPian

Nice pics. Scorpio is better in black. How about acceleration ? At what speeds do you cruise Highways ?
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:08   #12
BHPian

Awesome looking Scorp! Extremely well maintained. Kudos to you, getsurya. The newer headlights/lamp, looks good too.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome looking Scorp! Extremely well maintained. Kudos to you, getsurya. The newer headlights/lamp, looks good too.
Hi Aviorp, Thank you. It is always a great pleasure to drive a neat car. It takes a lot of effort to maintain the gleam side!

Quote:
Nice pics. Scorpio is better in black. How about acceleration ? At what speeds do you cruise Highways ?
Hi Vdrive, thank you. mHawk is very peppy on the accelerator. I tend to forget that I drive an diesel horse. Depending upon the road condition, I push my car from 100-150 kmph speeds.

All, couple of my earlier rides-Ford Ikon 1.6 Zxi, which I still miss! and my earlier Crde SLX pictures are attached. Also a word doc detailing the 2nd servicing information for BOSS is attached. Pooling in all my car's information to make it a capsule
Attached Thumbnails
M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-1winered783.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-1ikon783.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-14th-jan-tbhp-drive-meet-2.jpg  

M&M Scorpio: BOSS is BOSS!-nikon-6th-mar-2011-031.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip BOSS 2nd servicing doc.zip (1.65 MB, 151 views)

Last edited by getsurya : 22nd April 2011 at 10:26.
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Srikanth,

Thats a crisp report for your vehicle ownership. I always thought that my Storm was an aberration but reading your report, looks like the initial batches are not as trouble free as I thought. I would understand that your VLX was bought within 6 months of the launch and I guess that's why the replacement list is so high.

Anyways please keep updating the thread.

Cheers

P.S: Any particular significance of 783. Given that its on 3rd car in a row
Old 24th April 2011, 18:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a crisp report for your vehicle ownership. I always thought that my Storm was an aberration but reading your report, looks like the initial batches are not as trouble free as I thought. I would understand that your VLX was bought within 6 months of the launch and I guess that's why the replacement list is so high.

Anyways please keep updating the thread.

Cheers

P.S: Any particular significance of 783. Given that its on 3rd car in a row
Hi Ani,
Thanks for your appreciations. Yes, my mHawk is bought off within the first 6 months of its launch. M&M has to learn a lot to make thier W201 a grand success.

I shall want to keep this thread live hereafter!

Coming to 783, this is a number which all my family cars drive with! Infact, my current BOSS must be 10th in the row with the same number. Sort of attached to 783 sentiment wise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks