Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 17:30   #46
yuv
BHPian

Re: Looking for Mercedes & is E240 AT for 4.5L worth it?

I have just learnt that the E220 CDI might have been sold for 5.5 lacs. The owner is on a holiday and will be back after a week. Im trying to confirm the news.

Bad luck or Blessing in disguise? God only knows
Old 27th July 2011, 10:21   #47
BHPian

Better safe than sorry, looks like even God is against the E220 lol!

Any update on the C class? I also recommend starting with the C class as it would be having much less complicated gadgetry which would save you some money in the long run. But do go through GTO's review on his C-class!

All the best!
goingout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 11:20   #48
BHPian

c class gadgetary is almost all the same as compared to e class. probably cheaper quality stuff too. havn't met a single c class owner whose dash hasnt had a check light on for a great length of time

In all respects an e class is much better, old or new. in fact i would rate the old e class at 3 to 4 lacs way way better in terms of ride quality, handling, suspension and comfort as compared to any c class

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post

Any update on the C class? I also recommend starting with the C class as it would be having much less complicated gadgetry which would save you some money in the long run. But do go through GTO's review on his C-class!

All the best!
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 23:20   #49
yuv
BHPian

Hi All,

It turns out that someone has given an advance for the E220 CDI but has not turned up with the balance amount. On the other hand, I have given a counter offer of 5.65 lacs. We will know the final outcome tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post

All the best!
lol, ya looks like it. The C class owner is oscillating on the price and now looks like the deal will finally close at 7 lacs. Should we still go for it?
Yes, I have read GTO's amazing review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
c class gadgetary is almost all the same as compared to e class. probably cheaper quality stuff too. havn't met a single c class owner whose dash hasnt had a check light on for a great length of time

In all respects an e class is much better, old or new. in fact i would rate the old e class at 3 to 4 lacs way way better in terms of ride quality, handling, suspension and comfort as compared to any c class
You my friend, are the first person coming out in support of the E class
There is an amazing E250D, AT in pune, no work, spotless condition for 6 lacs. Considering the other options dont seem to be really working out, im sooo tempted to go for it. I have been warned though that it will depreciate by 1-2 lacs in 6-12 months time and would be v. v. heavy on maintenance. Have also been told that the E220 CDI is anyday better than the E250 in all respects?
Old 27th July 2011, 23:36   #50
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I would stick to C200, more so since he is a first time merc owner, he would get a fair idea how to go about maintaining it with lesser risks (shocks really), also it will make him more wise when he wants to graduate to the E series, and believe me there are really good ones from the just discontinued lot, also the current C series would be a great buy in future. He may fancy the AT & Tiptronic, but he is buying it (marrying it, not a one night stand). E with AT certainly not the girl to take home to your mother.
lol, I get it. Great example ... The C class is also my first choice but at my price. The owner is taking his own sweet time to decide though.

Quote:
You can do 1 thing. Ask the seller to allow you to take the car to a sanghi or hangar. They will put it on scanner and will give you a complete evaluation and quote of the approx cost. It might cost you a nominal charge to do this but atleast you know what you are getting into from the outset. obviously you need to do this check once you have zeroed in and almost decided on a car

I had sanghi do a scan on my friends c200 cdi which had its dash all lit up and christmasy. abs, srs etc quote was for 120,000/- to fix it all
Any idea how much do they charge for checking the car out and providing an estimate? Thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
+1 to 53bhp suggestion. Find out. Ignore Sanghi's quote and understand what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. There are alterate mechanics who can do the same work
This is a great suggestion, Thanks. I have found out about a good merc garage at Mahakali Caves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
Or if the seller is not ready to take his vehicle out, I can give you a guy who may come at your location with the tool to give you the quote. Please PM if you need his contact details.
That would be really nice, Thanks. Im just waiting for the E220 CDI owner to revert on my offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav View Post
Hi Yuv, I would go for the C200 as well, simply because the W210's are known to be possibly 'the' most unreliable series ever produced by Mercedes. Also, i believe the C200 was sold in higher numbers, hence your friend would get more feedback and support for any potential problems faced, not to mention a readily available second-hand spare market if the need arises. Moreover, I think it even looks better than the W210!
Thanks Nirav. I Agree and we have also liked the C class very much. The only drawback is that it is MT and we were always looking for an AT. But we dont mind compromising on this as long as we get it at our price.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:22   #51
BHPian

There is an amazing E250D, AT in pune, no work, spotless condition for 6 lacs. Considering the other options dont seem to be really working out, im sooo tempted to go for it. I have been warned though that it will depreciate by 1-2 lacs in 6-12 months time and would be v. v. heavy on maintenance. Have also been told that the E220 CDI is anyday better than the E250 in all respects?

I have been led to believe that the common rail 220 engine is one of the most trouble free (relatively speaking) among the new breed af mercedes engines. The w210 e220cdi is supposed to be a reasonably trouble free car. A pal of mine however has a e220cdi w211 and it has given him nothing but trouble. He has a running case with mercedes on this. The car runs fine most of the time. take it on a long run and it heats up and packs up

You are making your first entry into the world of the 3 pointed star. do yourself a favour and make it as painless for your self as possible. In the last 5 years I have owned the W124 250D, I have had many an opportunity to 'upgrade' to a W210 or W211. Tested many cars too. Honestly it has never felt like much of an upgrade. I have always got back into my 124 and thought "this car is better. Not as flashy, not as refined, but still much better"

Simple example: test drove an e220cdi a couple of years ago. realised the seat belt buckle red plastic button was more faded than that on my w124 which is 5 years older

For me an upgrade would be to buy a top of the line w126 or w116 or w111 or god willing one day a w113

Good luck. If you need any help with mechanics or with fernandes at sanghi, please do let me know
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 22:23   #52
yuv
BHPian

Quote:

I have been led to believe that the common rail 220 engine is one of the most trouble free (relatively speaking) among the new breed af mercedes engines. The w210 e220cdi is supposed to be a reasonably trouble free car. A pal of mine however has a e220cdi w211 and it has given him nothing but trouble. He has a running case with mercedes on this. The car runs fine most of the time. take it on a long run and it heats up and packs up

You are making your first entry into the world of the 3 pointed star. do yourself a favour and make it as painless for your self as possible. In the last 5 years I have owned the W124 250D, I have had many an opportunity to 'upgrade' to a W210 or W211. Tested many cars too. Honestly it has never felt like much of an upgrade. I have always got back into my 124 and thought "this car is better. Not as flashy, not as refined, but still much better"

Simple example: test drove an e220cdi a couple of years ago. realised the seat belt buckle red plastic button was more faded than that on my w124 which is 5 years older

For me an upgrade would be to buy a top of the line w126 or w116 or w111 or god willing one day a w113

Good luck. If you need any help with mechanics or with fernandes at sanghi, please do let me know
Thanks alot 53BHP. Have decided to pay heed to yours and everyone else advice here and will be going in for a clean car thereby making it as painless as possible. Will be definitely needing all the help with mechanics once we finalise a car, so very kind of you to offer.

Aside All - Looks like the gods were truly against the E220, as she has been sold so that chapter is closed.

We are meeting the owner of the C200 tomorrow, planning to start from 6 lacs. What is the maximum I should offer for a C200 2001 December model(sorry I had quoted 2002 earlier), MT, one owner, comp insurance, genuine 50000kms, immaculate condition. Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 23:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv
Thanks alot 53BHP. Have decided to pay heed to yours and everyone else advice here and will be going in for a clean car thereby making it as painless as possible. Will be definitely needing all the help with mechanics once we finalise a car, so very kind of you to offer.

Aside All - Looks like the gods were truly against the E220, as she has been sold so that chapter is closed.

We are meeting the owner of the C200 tomorrow, planning to start from 6 lacs. What is the maximum I should offer for a C200 2001 December model(sorry I had quoted 2002 earlier), MT, one owner, comp insurance, genuine 50000kms, immaculate condition. Thanks
All the best yuv. Remember buyer is the king here. If I were you I would have started from 5.7 lakhs. 6.2 should be my limit considering 2001.

Cheers
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 12:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Or if the seller is not ready to take his vehicle out, I can give you a guy who may come at your location with the tool to give you the quote. Please PM if you need his contact details.
So, who's this guy? Does he work in Merc A.S.S or owns private garage which services Mercs. I am on a lookout for used W124 E220 in Bangalore. Would he happen to have any leads on the same?
Old 30th July 2011, 22:26   #55
BHPian

He was working with hanger when I met him in 2009 last. He was helpful when my seller said he can't take the C180 to the showroom.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
He was working with hanger when I met him in 2009 last. He was helpful when my seller said he can't take the C180 to the showroom.
Oh, so this guy is in Mumbai. Anyways, can you please PM me his contact details. I will be visiting Mumbai next month for Ganapati celebrations. If I get time, I might check out some used W124 E220s there.
Do you happen to know somebody similar in Bangalore, either working in Merc showroom or private garage who would have idea about used W124 E220 in Bangalore.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:03   #57
BHPian

Any idea how much do they charge for checking the car out and providing an estimate?

Re above,not sure what they charge in Mumbai for a report on a Merc,but a couple of years ago they were charging around 4.5k at the authorised dealer Sundaram Motors in Bangalore.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Yuv, your friend seems to be very confused here. Not being rude but it looks like that. First he has a budget of Rs. 2.5 lacs to buy a car thats frugal. Yes there are many such vehicles available

Then your friend zeros down on a Merc. Wrong move. A E240 as many have told you its a nightmare to maintain, especially if not maintained right by the previous owner. Then it comes with certain factory built niggles, most of them electrical.Then the budget goes from 2.5 to 6 to 7 to even a 2002 W220 cdi for 7 (heck for that price if its a good car id jump. A good car costs good money. Pay peanuts and get monkeys, unless one is lucky. Sorry to be blunt but i dont know how to sugar coat this line.

If your friend is hell bent on a Merc, great, tell him to be ready for an initial spend. Get a reliable car from a reliable person. Spend initially a bit more but get the peace that should come with a Merc buy. A merc if maintained right can be really reliable and bulletproof.

An estimate of work needed is best taken from a reliable mechanic who is not related to MBIL in anyways. Not running down the company but they work ina different way. Almost nothing is repairable, its only change the part. Also they do tend to change stuff that does not need to be changed, hence a reliable mechanic is better. I remember when i went to get my SL checked, that is had a gearbox and an engine job. The car is running like a dream even today (touch -wood). They have no clue nor parts for cars more than 10-15 years old and the parts from them would be original yes but at least three, if not more times higher than available in the market. Think about all this when you want to get a Merc.

Last when i had checked, they had quoted 35k for a technical evaluation and check up. Utter rubbish!!

Id rather your friend checks out any car which is in good condition and buys it rather than get wound up wrongly in a Brand that has lost its shine.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 23:51   #59
yuv
BHPian

Hi All,

We have finally bought the C200 and am I glad we did. She runs like a beauty, no work, nothing, just pure pleasure of driving. Inside its like a cockpit but with sofa's . Those seats are so comfortable, We are having a hard time not falling asleep

I would like to thank each and everyone of you.
You know who you are so Thank You!!! for the hand holding and helping us take the right decision.

Cheers!!!
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987
Any idea how much do they charge for checking the car out and providing an estimate?

Re above,not sure what they charge in Mumbai for a report on a Merc,but a couple of years ago they were charging around 4.5k at the authorised dealer Sundaram Motors in Bangalore.
Yeah, it was 3K for a quick check two years back. But they have a hourly system if they scan for a specific issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks