Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 09:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Suzuki Kizashi - Should I or shouldn't I? UPDATE: Got a Passat!

Kizashi is a good sporty car with reasonable space and good looks - I, for one, like it. Unfortunately, its failed in its main target market (read US) in terms of sales. I guess the main reason being the AT/CVT is pathetic and makes the car sluggish. Otherwise, the engine is quite powerful, so if you want to buy the Kizashi, do buy the MT version as this would suit both your sporty car needs and the budget better :-)

Laura vRS is a formidable competitor - though all the people here implying that the vRS sells a good bit, I haven't seen a single one on Bangalore roads. Typically its the older and lower cost 1.8TSI variants which sell more. Also, Skodas do sit in workshop for 4-6+ weeks waiting for parts, I don't believe Kizashi would be worse off than that. And I am a big fan of the Laura 1.8TSi and the vRS, so just trying to put down my objective assessment.
Powerwise, the Kizashi has the bigger engine which also means lower FE on the flip side. The 1.8TSi is a marvel of an engine, the Laura is faster than the Kizashi in speed dashes.

CBU is the reason for the high cost of the Kizashi, but it also means best build quality coming from Japan that translates to high reliability. I would any day buy a "Made in Japan" over "Made in anywhere else in the world".

To conclude, I would go for the Laura vRS edging out the Kizashi or even the lower 1.8TSi trims and save a bit if kit is not important, and one can live with the softer suspension.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 16th January 2012 at 10:11.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 10:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Can you update this thread with your test-drive report of the Kizashi and other contenders? You have set off with a budget of 19L and want a drivers car, so I am pretty sure you must have done some thorough test drives.

This will give us an idea as to what were the hits and misses of all the cars and a brief idea on what you are looking for in it.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit
Also, Skodas do sit in workshop for 4-6+ weeks waiting for parts. I don't believe Kizashi would be worse off than that.
True. Though there is no denying that spares could be an issue with the K, it is not like spares are easy for the Skodas - both in terms of availability and cost - quite some threads here on this topic. And ofcourse the issues with the DSG boxes...
Old 16th January 2012, 11:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Last I heard: a fat discount can be negotiated (under the covers) for the Kizashi. It is in the 1.5 Lac ballpark. That places it directly in the equivalent Laura's price range. Personally, I'd pick the Laura.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

My opinion is purely from the heart, and very vain.
If it was up to me, I would have bought it, just for how good it looks, and the sheer envy/curiosity this car can arouse.
In my opinion there aint a prettier car on road than the Kizashi.
That rear, is to die for!!!

But again, I am not the one splurging, and I would probably have some issues too when its my money, and its my primary car.
for an indulgence, oh yeah!!
Old 16th January 2012, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you want a driver's car and if you are open to second hand models then it will open up a sea of opportunities. You need approx 1 lac per year to maintain German beasts like BMW, Audi and Merc. For 5 years if you take the total cost of maintenance as 7 lacs then that leaves you with 12 lacs. I guess you can get a very good condition pedigree car in that budget.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:55   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you really want a Kizashi, wait for a year and buy it used. You'll easily manage one for 50% off (or in the ballpark). If in love with a depreciation disaster, always buy it used.

Other alternatives for the driving enthusiast in you:

- Laura vRS

- Jetta 6-speed manual : Trust me, you can have a lot of fun in modern diesels

- Used BMW 325 / 330i. You'd probably get one for less than the cost of a Kizashi.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 14:55   #23
BHPian

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the response. Thanks for your time all you friends.

Before I start, I would like to let all car owners know that, what i type is just my assumption and views of cars as I see them through my outlook towards life. I love cars... period whatever make they are, so please take no offence.

Skoda - I have not even considered purchasing a Skoda due to the horror stories I have seen, heard and read. I have a close friend who works at an authorised Skoda dealer's workshop as adviser and I have heard real stories of disregard for customers cars. I agree that the Laura VRS is a fantastic drivers car, no doubt about it, but I will pass.

Jetta - Very staid looking car with very close resemblance to the smallr sibling, awesome interiors but made me feel like a 50 year old even the showroom sales person made me feel like an arrived in life, filthy rich uncle. He kept on pushing for me to buy the Phaeton with 20 lac discount.

Passat - Way off my budget.

Accord - Luxo barge.

Teana - With the new pricing...it is a steal to purchase but friends who have owned it swear by it's wallet sucking tendencies.

Cruze - Amazing car, great features, flimsy plastic's, stonking but smoking engine when subjected to the stick.

Toyota Altis - A true VFM car with minimal maintenance but very neutral handling.

Kizashi
  • Got door step test drive of both Manual and CVT version.
  • Well built interiors.
  • Very upmarket softtouch switchgear.
  • Manual gear slot as if it is reading your mind.
  • Termendous power surge when floored coupled with very responsive and precise steering.
  • Amazing sound system (7 spealer -Rockford Frosgate).
  • Great looking car with very sporty looking 17" Alloys.
  • 7 years warranty from Suzuki on paint and rust proofing.
  • And a very very attractive offer of free registration which itself is INR. 2,81,000/- with option to get my own insurance and a small dealer discount as well which works out cheaper than any of the cars above on road.
  • BUT, the final deciding factor was not the money, it was the car itself. It just felt great to drive. I had to tell the sales person to shut the music and shut up himself. I literally had to be pulled out of the car by my wife to let go of the test car.
On the maintenance front, I was assured that Maruti have stock of every part for the car locally stocked in every region, same as the Vitara, and they have specially trained service technicians and a dedicated service bay for the Kizashi.

So, I have decided to go for the Kizashi MT in White. Why White?? cause this particular dealer has only white MT in stock and a Silver in CVT. There are other dealers who have Silver in MT but are not offering as much discounts.

Before anyone pounces and questions...

Let me assure you that I have personally seen the car at their stock yard gathering dust with zero wear on tyres. Only problem is it was manufactured mid 2011. I am not at all worried about re-sale or maintenance as this is not my primary car and my heart rules my mind.

Once again thanks to all for your valuable inputs. I will post the break up of costing and my experience once I finalize the deal end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Kizashi - Should I or shouldn't I? UPDATE: Got a Passat!-kizashi-front.jpg  

Suzuki Kizashi - Should I or shouldn't I? UPDATE: Got a Passat!-kizashi-rear-left-corner.jpg  

Suzuki Kizashi - Should I or shouldn't I? UPDATE: Got a Passat!-rear-right-corner.jpg  

I-Chief is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:53   #24
BHPian

GTO is right
But IMHO for a second hand Kizashi I guess the biggest problem would be finding a guy who owns Kizashi

Go for a pre used 3 series as mentioned, any day a better option or go for a SUV (read fortuner) if not particular about sedan
Old 16th January 2012, 15:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

If you must buy Kizashi waiting for sometime would be a good idea for two reasons.
  1. MSIL may price it differently as earlier pricing has not really worked wonders for them (believe me this can be a possibility)
  2. Used Kizashi will start coming in the market by the end of this year
Either way you would end up benefiting.

Awesome, just read the post that you already booked or bought. Congratulations and this is going to be first Kizashi on Team BHP. When is the delivery planned and ownership thread please . Cheers, all the best

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 16th January 2012 at 16:25.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

A proper drivers car for under 10-20 lacs? Some cars that come to mind are

Diesel
Chevrolet Cruze
Skoda Laura

Petrol
Linea T-jet
Hyundai Verna 1.6 petrol
Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
Mitsubishi Cedia
Honda City
Skoda Laura
New Hyundai Sonata

If you are intending to buy cheap and mod the car, Nothing beats a Cedia (strongly suggest used.)

But compared to the Kizashi, some newer entrants are equally fun to drive. I test drove the Kizashi before most publications out there and my experience really good. The engine is strong and reacts nicely and the interior quality is better too.

But you might want to look at the new Sonata, Linea T-Jet and Skoda Laura RS. In diesel Cruze is a hoot to drive.

How about you TD the cars and update your experiences. We might be able to help you better.

In one line, Yes Suzuki Kizashi is a worthy buy which is overpriced by a couple of lacs. But if you like the car, its well worth it.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:22   #27
Team-BHP Support

See since you say drivers car, that means only 3 options -

1) Kizashi
2) Laura RS
3) Used 325i

Now honestly I don't think you should not even take a td of a car because of the stories you have heard. You think Suzuki service is going to handle your Kizashi any better than the Altos that come in? I don't think so. You have TDed the Kizashi and like it, but also TD the RS because 18l is not a small amount and its better to be sure that you are making the right decision.

Personally, I haven't driven one but I think the Kizashi is a great car. It looks stunning and has awesome road presence and also many features which are missing from the Laura RS. So don't think twice about buying it if you are getting a good deal. All I'm saying is take a TD of all your options before you finalise.

Another option is a used BMW 325i. BMW have started their own used car business and you can see the website for the inventory. This will beat the other 2 hands down when it comes to driving pleasure, unless you want a manual. You can good some good deals on these.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow !!! Looks like finally we will have a K on the forum.
Also, do post the cost details.

And how was your drive on the CVT version ? Would appreciate some feedback on the AT variant.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th January 2012 at 16:37.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I-Chief,

Now that you've decided on K ,Go For K , listen to what your heart tells you to do.

You'll not be disappointed 'coz this is a Suzuki viz. another name for reliability.

and just don't be bothered about resale ; if you get a few lakhs less when your heart tells you to sell,would it bring you to bankruptcy? NO. Then why bother?

My only worry is spares(whenever you need them,they'll be pricey and lead time will be high as most of them will be Japanese imports).

I say this as the logo on the boot reads Suzuki and not Maruti Suzuki.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:54   #30
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Akshay1234.

The Kizashi is a great car, and honestly, it's one of my favourites in that segment, and I'd definitely consider it. But, if I were you, I'd also consider a used 325i and even the Skoda Laura RS. Why I'd even consider an older 5er too, if I find one in the 20-25 lakh bracket. But buying a BMW for cheap is different from living with a BMW, which won't be cheap.

The Kizashi and the Laura should be relative cheaper to maintain. The Laura being German, would demand some more TLC, which would mean more expenditure on service. But the Kizashi's parts won't come cheap either, considering that it isn't assembled here.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition

Personally, I love the silver on the Kizashi. It looks smashing. White should be good too.

Give us a detailed report on your Suzuki. I've been awaiting one for sometime now, and it shocked me that out of the 10,000 odd active members, no one had gone in for one, considering that it is a drivers' car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks