Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:31   #1
BHPian

Sporty car for <85 lakhs OTR

Looking to buy a sporty car to replace our A6.

Thinking about the Jaguar XF, Porsche Boxster, BMW 330d, BMWZ4.

Open to other suggestions and doesnt necessarily have to be a 2 seater or 4 seater.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sporty/sporty feel car for under 85lakhs OTR

Why not the Nissan 370Z or the Evo X? You would also save some cash in that process. These are proper sports cars.
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:43   #3
BHPian

already test drove the Nissan - my mother has a problem driving it due to her height and seats not that adjustable. I really loved it though.

Will be trying the EVO for sure!
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You want to drive in a sports car with your mother? Not trying to make fun but it somehow doesn't sound right. A hardcore sports car's seating may not appeal to many people specially the ones not driving it .

We have a Nissan 370Z ownership thread which you can look at.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Audi RS5 would be my pick.
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

You will really need to list out what you want and what you don't want, because some of the cars available can be a really impractical replacement for an A6. There are quite a few options but I am leaving out the normal A6 3.0tfsi, 535i and XF Petrol. I mean the Coupes will definitely be much more sporty to drive than the 4 seaters listed above.

BMW Z4 - Its small, its quick, its got a great sounding turbocharged inline 6. Also its a hard top convertible. The ride isn't bad at all too. What more do you want in a car?

Porsche Cayman - A new Boxster is due so leave it out, and unless you want a convertible (Boxster) the Cayman is supposed to be much more Porsche like to drive and can give the 911's a run for their money. Again great sounding, brilliant handling, a little less powerful than the Z4 though.

SLK350 - Looks like it got squashed from both sides. Its a convertible, launched recently, and a 305bhp V6 petrol. It won't be anywhere close to the above 2 when it comes to driver involvement. The ride and comfort will be better though. Also has that magic roof thingy which turns transparent at the touch of a button.

330D convertible - New model due in a year or so. Powerful diesel, will be great fun to drive in the city. 4 seats which are actually useable to a certain extent. A bit slower than the above cars when accelerating flat out.
Possible the most practical of all mentioned till now.

E350 Coupe/Cabriolet - Not as sporty as the Bimmers or the Porsche, but it will be unique. Again 4 useable seats and pretty practical when it comes to ride and comfort.

A7, CLS350, 5GT should all fit in, and are all nice cars and pretty unique. But won't be as sporty as the cars above.

There is a chance an M3 or RS5 might fit into your budget, best you check with the dealers.

Also the X6 3.0d should fit in, its a totally different car and worth a look again.

Yes I have probably confused you a lot.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Looking to buy a sporty car to replace our A6.

Thinking about the Jaguar XF, Porsche Boxster, BMW 330d, BMWZ4.
330d to replace A6? How?

You could consider the BMW 5-series too, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You want to drive in a sports car with your mother? Not trying to make fun but it somehow doesn't sound right. A hardcore sports car's seating may not appeal to many people specially the ones not driving it
Hey, if she's the one driving it; ain't it rather cool!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Msbehave- already gave your brother and mother my advice- 640d !! It's a perfect fit for you guys
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You want to drive in a sports car with your mother? Not trying to make fun but it somehow doesn't sound right.
Well, I am proud to say I have inherited the passion for cars and driving from my mother. Her daily drive is the Audi A6
amongst the cars my mother has driven are the aston martin vantage,Audi RS5, R8,Merc Cabrio,SLK350, Jaguar XF.. and many more in over 15 countries. Safest not to make assumptions on age and gender, what say?

Did read the Nissan 370Z ownership thread thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Msbehave- already gave your brother and mother my advice- 640d !! It's a perfect fit for you guys
Hahaha, yes thanks. Its on the shortlist, will take it for a spin! Infinity said they'll be getting it to us, along with the Z4! Waiting to drive

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th January 2012 at 15:59. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
msbehave is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sporty? The first one that comes to my mind is EVO X. But, hope you are not expecting Sporty and Luxurious, for that it is not!
Old 24th January 2012, 16:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

msbehave that kind of budget leaves you with a great wide option. As it is going to replace an A6 and the fact that your mother would also be driving it occasionally, i presume you are looking for a four door or a 4 seater coupe at the most. I could think of numerous cars that are more value for money that the Evo, though im a hard core Evo fan. I would look at a few coupes here starting with the Mercs. A nice E class cabriolet would fit the bill. In an Audi, i would look at the RS5 a car that will make you very haapy whenever you press the gas. In sedans, I would also look at the 530D BMW. A scorching performer for a diesel. The engine in a 7 series is a mover too so u can imagine what the engine in a 5 series would do. A E 350 cdi or petrol would also fit the bill here. These are very comfortable cars with a sweet engine that will full fill your sporty desires as well as satisfy your luxurious pangs. I could suggest a Porsche Boxter and other such machines but im not sure whether you're even considering them.

One can get blistering performance from a car which costs well below your budget with all the bells and whistles atached The Skoda Superb V6. The only problem is its whimsical DSG box. Else full marks on all fronts to the Superb. Trust me, you mom will love to drive it.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 17:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
....my mother has a problem driving it due to her height and seats not that adjustable. I really loved it though.

Will be trying the EVO for sure!
- The EVO has a super-low seating position, so she will probably face the same issue.
- Don't forget to put it in Sport (or preferably Super Sport) mode when test driving

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 12:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Z4, Boxster S are all good packages but i'd agree with Sahil.
The 640d would be a blisteringly fast yet practical option.
Longer intervals between fuel stops and an addictive surge of newton meters with a slight tap on the accelerator.
If you like the looks, the 640d seems to be the best option. Its a good looking thing but for those 'out of place' headlights IMO.
Good luck
Old 25th January 2012, 13:33   #14

why not a GTR? sporty (oh yeah!!!), yet comfortable to an extent and 4 usable seats + boot
Maybe the price (~90L INR?) is a deal breaker here?
Old 25th January 2012, 15:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
...comfortable to an extent and 4 usable seats + boot
There doesn't seem to be a requirement for a 4-seater here, but i'll still say that the rear seats of the Nissan GTR are anything but usable!! Probably the most cramped back seat on any 2+2 i've seen.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks