Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car around 25-27L should I choose?
Audi A4 TFSI 19 33.33%
Skoda Superb DSG Diesel 21 36.84%
Mercedes C Class Elegance Petrol 10 17.54%
Toyota Camry 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 13:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Entry to the holy Trinity (or whatever 25L gives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
X1 (on the other hand) can be considered more of a car than the above SUVs. It is currently running incredibly good discounts; which again reminds me of the new one around the corner. Nothing like buying a new car; just to realize the bugger next to you in the traffic is driving the upgraded/ updated version after a month
Yes, that is correct. Infinity Cars has advertised the BMW X1 sDrive20d & the X3 Advantage Edition at Rs. 21.70 Lacs and Rs. 37.99 Lacs respectively. All prices are ex-showroom Mumbai.

FYI: Normally, the base sDrive20d retails at Rs. 27.XX Lacs ex-showroom Mumbai. I believe a friend of one of our fellow BHPian 'samyboy' recently got a quote of Rs. 27.XX L OTR from them. That essentially means that the BMW/dealership is throwing in the RTO and Insurance practically for free. That is a good 4-5 Lac value right there.

This is also separately discussed in our "New" Car Price thread just in case:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...deals-194.html

Quote:
Personally, i am skewed towards the A4 base or the C-class Elegance (both in Petrol avatars). This however, before i read so many of us vouching for the Superb Elegance DSG. It's big - it's classy - it's diesel and it's worth considering. Thanks.
Between the two, the C Elegance any day of the week mate. I must warn you that the sluggish CVT gearbox in the A4 is not even a patch on the awesomeness that is a DSG. This is pretty well documented on the forum!

Speaking of which, I would've totally recommended the Passat Highline DSG. It is unbelievably kitted. However my only deterrent is that you already own one and the novelty factor wouldn't be as much as the Holy Trinity or even the Superb. All the same I've driven the Passat many times and like Akshay says, it is a very different car from its earlier avatar. Worth a second look!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 13th December 2012 at 13:50.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:00   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Great, so now that we have established the home-stretch starters; let's get some perspective and votes on the following;

1. Audi A4 TFSI
2. Skoda Superb DSG Diesel
3. Mercedes C Class Elegance Petrol
4. Toyota Camry
Added a poll to your thread to make it interesting. My vote goes to Skoda Superb Diesel DSG. As far as entry-level luxury goes there is just no comparison since Skoda has crammed in everything you could conceivably need...and some.

Is the A4 TSI still available? Last I checked the S4 was the only petrol engine on offer and the 1.8TDI the only diesel.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:09   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Added a poll to your thread to make it interesting. My vote goes to Skoda Superb Diesel DSG. As far as entry-level luxury goes there is just no comparison since Skoda has crammed in everything you could conceivably need...and some.

Is the A4 TSI still available? Last I checked the S4 was the only petrol engine on offer and the 1.8TDI the only diesel.
Thanks a ton Noopster.

The petrol is available on the A4. Hmmm; let me check on the configuration we received from the SA.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton Noopster.

The petrol is available on the A4. Hmmm; let me check on the configuration we received from the SA.
The 1.8 tsi is available on the Audi, and its an updated version I think. Its got a new turbo so it now has 170bhp and 320nm of torque, which is pretty good.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:23   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

The 1.8 tsi is available on the Audi, and its an updated version I think. Its got a new turbo so it now has 170bhp and 320nm of torque, which is pretty good.
Exactly the one I loved driving. Its quite something to have that much powerful petrol working for u than the outmoded TDI
Old 13th December 2012, 15:21   #36
BHPian

Okay Cupid,

Here is my take on the above lot. The A4 will fit your bill but, the options you may want on it might price it out of budget. The Merc C class has HUGE maintenance bills. Not an issue once you are out of warranty as you can have an independent mechanic do your maintenance, but within warranty the maintenance costs are going to be rather high. The Superb 2.0TDI DSG elegance is grossly overpriced. All you get for your additional 6 lacs is a car that has a fair bit of engine noise and vibrations up front and one that isn't as much fun to drive as the 1.8TSI MT elegance. The Superb petrol returns figures of 160 BHP @4500 RPM and 250 NM torque @ 1500 RPM. The A4 has 170 BHP at 3800 RPM and 320 NM torque at 1400 RPM. I'd suggest throwing out all power and torque ratings away from your mind if the final decision is between the A4 and the petrol Superb and going by which feels more fun to drive or comfortable to sit in. If the petrol manual transmission superb can not be considered (I've heard the problems with the petrol autobox have now been fixed, so that may be an option) then the winner here hands down is the A4. The Camry is boring, expensive and has sub-par build quality like all Toyota vehicles of late. It will also be the most reliable, easiest to maintain and hassle free of all of these cars, but you will hate driving it.

The BMW 320d CE is going to be out soon, that is when you will find discounts on the other versions, or pick up a 320d CE, visit Stanley for real leather seats and live without the moonroof (I doubt thats an option for you though!) and iDrive, which is what I would do if the other options were out of budget for me even after discount. Incidentally if there are any BMW 328is at Navneet Bombay, you may be able to get enough of a discount to get one within your budget.

The advantage of the Petrol superb? you get it for cheap and have enough money left over to make a significant contribution towards that S60 that you want or to pick up a new Jetta 1.4 TFSI or Polo 1.2 TSI for yourself when they come out. Each of these cars promises to be an insanely good drive. win-win-win no matter what. Or if you have a Polo 1.6, you can mod it till kingdom come and convert it into a rally car.

Sorry for confusing you if I have.

imp!
Old 13th December 2012, 15:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all who have contributed in getting a beautiful mind some much needed inceptionesque clarity.
So you've gone from Russell Crowe to Leo DiCaprio in the quest for your next car huh! Phew! That is quite a perplexing, multi-level journey! And do excuse the pun

Quote:
I don't really know why i am getting paid at work, while i keep myself entertained otherwise.
Dude, you know how all of us are underpaid right? In your case, you're just getting paid less for all the work that you don't do! It's all good bro!

Quote:
With the new one on the block, there are no discounts and the one that can be bought, should not be called a BMW. At that kind of price, i would expect a bells and whistles. All the base BMW do is whimper!
Absolutely! When it comes to the kit, some cars that are 3-4 segments below it, will also put the base F30 to shame. It is seriously stripped down!

Quote:
As for the cars making up the count for the aforementioned fall-outs - Skoda Superb, Toyota Camry.
Just for the hell of it, do you want to thrown in the Passat too? See how it is doing vis-a-vis the other 4?

Quote:
Thanks a ton Noop. And agree wholeheartedly!

So I'm going with my earlier pick: the Superb DSG.

Quote:
Yes, the A4 is still available with the 1.8 TSI under its hood.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 13th December 2012 at 15:51.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Im sorry, but do you have the Passat already? The OP wasnt very clear on that front. If you dont, then my vote goes for the Superb. Provided its the 6 speed DSG diesel that you are going in for.
Stay away from the 1.8 Tsi 7speed DSG. I have first hand experiance to tell you that the DSG fails!

However, if you already have the Passat, then dont bother with the Superb, Its pretty much the same car. In that case, my vote would go for the 3. Back seat comfort may be a problem though.

Not too sure if the 1.8T in Audi is the same as the 1.8T in the Superb. If so, then do stay away.

Pre worshipped? Yes/No? If its the earlier, then a beautiful Alpine White 525 would look lovely in the garage.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:20   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Okay Cupid,

... Incidentally if there are any BMW 328is at Navneet Bombay, you may be able to get enough of a discount to get one within your budget.

imp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
... Stay away from the 1.8 Tsi 7speed DSG. I have first hand experiance to tell you that the DSG fails!..
Wait a second! Imp, did you just tell me a 328i will come under my aforementioned budget? I am not too sure if that's the case, thought infact, the petrol version of the new 'Ultimat3' is pricier than its diesel-rable sibling!

Inamdar, our tryst with the VW A.S.S has also been incredibly - let's put it as - spicy! hence, the apprehension with Skoda. But the knowledgeables here have said good things about JMD, so it is definitely worth trying out. But surely it will be a diesel heart if we go in for the Skoda (too many DSG failures reported for anyone's comfort; hence Audi with the mutitronic isn;t too bad - it will be a shame to have a shiny bangle up on Mater)
Old 13th December 2012, 16:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Wait a second! Imp, did you just tell me a 328i will come under my aforementioned budget? I am not too sure if that's the case, thought infact, the petrol version of the new 'Ultimat3' is pricier than its diesel-rable sibling!

Inamdar, our tryst with the VW A.S.S has also been incredibly - let's put it as - spicy! hence, the apprehension with Skoda. But the knowledgeables here have said good things about JMD, so it is definitely worth trying out. But surely it will be a diesel heart if we go in for the Skoda (too many DSG failures reported for anyone's comfort; hence Audi with the mutitronic isn;t too bad - it will be a shame to have a shiny bangle up on Mater)
Haha Cupid,

I certainly do not want to raise your hopes! What I should have added, but forgot was, that in Bangalore they have/had a previous generation 330i that they offered some one I know for 35 lacs OTR Bangalore. If there are any previous generations 328i or 330i in stock in Bombay they will offer you heavy discounts to move them. If not, then with heavy bargaining, a cool head and lots of patience you should be able to get the current generation 328i at enough of a discount where you are not stretching your budget beyond means ad the little extra that you do stretch is something your dad may happily agree to considering the extra value he is getting. I can completely understand that the budget is fixed, but, sometimes when buying cars like these, it makes sense to stretch, especially if you plan on keeping the car forever. If this is a company purchase you may not be able to do this unless your dad owns the company!

In any case, you wont know until you call and ask about discounts on their models. Keep in mind that BMW do need to move some petrol cars and if they sense you are a serious buyer, they will be willing to negotiate a fair bit with you!
Old 13th December 2012, 17:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Yup you're absolutely right. The Ultimat3 reverses the trend of diesels being more expensive than their petrol counterparts. IIRC, only the Luxury Plus is dearer than the F30's petrol offering.

Anyway a brand new 328i will come to about 45-48 Lacs OTR in the island city depending on what discounts you manage to extract and where you get the car registered. However I can tell you that there isn't much discount going up front on the 328i. You'll have to bargain real hard. Right now, BMW is quite happy to sit back and let the 320d do the talking for the F30.

What's your OTR cap?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 13th December 2012 at 17:11.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Yup you're absolutely right. The Ultimat3 reverses the trend of diesels being more expensive than their petrol counterparts. IIRC, only the Luxury Plus is dearer than the F30's petrol offering.

Anyway a brand new 328i will come to about 45-48 Lacs OTR in the island city depending on what discounts you manage to extract and where you get the car registered. However I can tell you that there isn't much discount going up front on the 328i. You'll have to bargain real hard. Right now, BMW is quite happy to sit back and let the 320d do the talking for the F30.

What's your OTR cap?
Too true but those are the OTR prices I have been hearing people get in Bangalore. Bombay should be less than that !

The A4 1.8 TFSI is 28-30 lacs ex-showroom without any options, I think those subliminal LED's will run you between 2-3, closer to 3 methinks. The 328i is 36-38 lacs ex showroom. My guess is that in Bombay you are probably looking at 35 OTR for a decent deal on the A4 and 5 more on the 328i if the dealer has stock and is willing to make a deal for end of year, which very often happens. If you are buying a petrol german, you do have pretty good bargaining power considering they have no re-sale value and dealers are aware of this. Besides, what does the OP have to lose? some time and effort? well worth it IMO.

Even without discounts, the 328i is only a couple of lacs more than the 320d considering there is no corporate edition out yet.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Given all the constraints and features that you need Superb does fit the bill, but with Skodas one can never be sure. Most recent news was to downgrade the brand lower (read lower the price). If that happens you would want to be on the other side of price correction (i.e. right side of it).

So if at all you decide on the Skoda please have some patience as it might pay you off well.

If i would have had that kind of budget with no concern of petrol or Diesel then i would have in most probability picked up the Outlander, its so good to drive, Do give it a look, and its not too high to get into.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 13th December 2012 at 17:30.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Too true but those are the OTR prices I have been hearing people get in Bangalore. Bombay should be less than that !

My guess is that in Bombay you are probably looking at 35 OTR for a decent deal on the A4 and 5 more on the 328i if the dealer has stock and is willing to make a deal for end of year, which very often happens. If you are buying a petrol german, you do have pretty good bargaining power considering they have no re-sale value and dealers are aware of this. Besides, what does the OP have to lose? some time and effort? well worth it IMO.
Unfortunately that is what it is in Mumbai as well mate. We're inching closer and closer to BLR in the luxury car category. The taxes are prohibitive. Anyway I have been on the hunt myself, have conducted a fair amount of R&D and this is what I have. Also seems to check out with what others on the T-BHP Mumbai circle too are getting.

I would seriously doubt a brand new 328i can be had for 40L OTR here. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but it would have to be under extreme duress on the dealership's part. Right now it is almost like a Pipe Dream.
Old 13th December 2012, 22:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of the options listed in the poll my vote goes to the Audi A4 TFSI. The badge does offer a significantly more luxurious ownership experience over the VW/Skoda group.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks