Team-BHP - Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/148070-advice-buying-used-skoda-superb-2nd-gen-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piyush46 (Post 3936332)
Hello guys,
I am planning to buy a pre owned 2014 model superb. Its a diesel automatic variant and has been driven for around 23000 kms. I haven't seen the car in person yet and not even contacted the seller yet, since i found this ad online. Now I am a bit confused since investing in skoda, I personally feel, is a risky affair and can result in lots of money being invested in maintenance bills. Can any one of the existing superb owners help me with the following questions.
How is the long term performance of the car ?
Comments on the DSG box for long term ?
Since the car will see a lot of highways, is it trustworthy ?
I had a 2007 model superb and had a very bitter experience with it. So i am a bit apprehensive, has skoda improved over time or is it the same story ?

Thanks in advance.

The 2008-16 Superb is very reliable compared to its notorious white elephant predecessor. The 2L Diesel + 6 speed DSG combo is very reliable and finds its place in a lot of VAG cars worldwide (Octavia, Passat, Jetta, etc.,). Just ensure you get the vehicle thoroughly checked up in your trusted garage before you buy and for all regular services. Happy Motoring!

Quote:

The 2008-16 Superb is very reliable compared to its notorious white elephant predecessor. The 2L Diesel + 6 speed DSG combo is very reliable and finds its place in a lot of VAG cars worldwide (Octavia, Passat, Jetta, etc.,). Just ensure you get the vehicle thoroughly checked up in your trusted garage before you buy and for all regular services. Happy Motoring!
Thanks for the info !
I never knew that previous superb were called white elephants. stupid:

Landed up on this thread since I was looking to buy a used Superb.

Looking to buy a Diesel Automatic DSG variant.

I came across a 2011 model. Run 43k Km. Asking price of 11.5 lakh (negotiable).

Wanted some inputs from people who have already brought used Superb's on this thread earlier and how they are performing over the long run.

1. How is the DSG gearbox on the diesel holding up over the long term? I tried to find threads on team bhp for long term ownership reviews, but coudnt come across one. Whatever long term review I could find, is all for the petrol variants.

2. Is it a good deal? I think he would settle for 11 or 11.25 lakh.

3. Any major things I have to check for? I am planning to take it to tafe for a check up as well.

4. At 43k, is there any major expense coming up apart from a Tyre change if it's not already done?

Would really appriciate the inputs. Thanks in advance. :)

Hello BHPians,

This apparently is my first post after the introduction. So please bear with me, in case.

Getting to the point, as the thread itself suggests, I am on the verge of buying a used Skoda Superb TSI. I have gone through the various views expressed by different BHPians. But you see, probably, getting some personalised opinions would make my day.

I checked out the Jetta on GTO's advise on my introductory post. Liked it, but not as much as the Superb. Primary reason could be because my budget is around 7.5 lacs and for that amount, only the older gen Jetta is available. So I got back to the Superb.

Now the big dilema - "Superb TSI AT or MT".

I am inclined towards the AT as it feels that the Superb ought to be driven with the DSG. But, with the mechatronic failure issues, that too with the car being around 5 years old(I am getting 2010-2011 models), I am extremely sceptical. I love manuals though, but not sure how living with the Superb manual is going to be like.

Hence my queries are -
1. AT or MT (considering all factors)
If MT, will it be a fun to drive car
If AT, is the AT worth the risk. Is there a way to check the condition of the DSG while test drive and then decide
2. Have there been any sort of major issues with the MT
3. Is 7.5 lac the right price for 2010-11 AT/MT

Most importantly, feel free to give your valuable advise, over and above the mentioned queries.

@Somebodystopme!
It would be great if you could share your experience with your Superb DSG. How is it performing. Any issues with the mechatronic unit. Actually, I am in a dilemma over the Superb AT and MT.
So would highly appreciate if you could share your experience in the past months with your Superb.

Thanks.

Hello everyone. I'm driving a 2008 Hyundai i10 Era and have now seriously started thinking of an upgrade. Going by the concept of Parallel Upgrade I'm training my eyes on D-segment sedans; Skoda Superb is what has caught my eyes till now. I have some questions which I'd like answered.
1. Is Superb Diesel a good second-hand car buying option?
2. Used Superb should be a diesel or petrol?
3. It's a popular notion that Skoda cars are big on maintenance/ servicing bills. Is it true? If yes, then how much is the expected cost of routine servicing?
4. What's the average kilometres per litre of fuel?
5. How is the car's reliability on long trips?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueanurag (Post 3975428)
3. It's a popular notion that Skoda cars are big on maintenance/ servicing bills. Is it true? If yes, then how much is the expected cost of routine servicing?

The old Skoda Superb diesel was fairly reliable (for a german car) in my experience. That said, it is not just about routine servicing. What happens when you need to replace components on the car due to failure or whatever reason? You need to have a lot cash ready to blow. At the end of the day maintaining a D segment sedan is not cheap and no matter how many questions you ask and how prepared you think you are, you will be surprised by the costs involved. Replacing disc rotors, headlight or tail light housing assembly, foglights, bumpers, ORVMs, tyres, suspension linkages and all are very expensive on these cars since most in this segment are imports. Coming from an i10, unless you have the spare cash lying around to pay big bills or you are confident that you won't get into any minor mishaps and use the car very gingerly, I'd suggest looking at something else like an old CR-V maybe or a Corolla or even the old Elantra. If you have your heart set on the Superb then go for it, but be warned :)

The advice probably holds good for any used german car(There is a separate thread to this i think).

1) Manual transmission is a better option simply because you are taking one component away from expensive service or replacement.

2) The cars have so many sensors and most of the controls are managed by voltage to the sensor. Simplest issue could be a rat bite but you will have the engine service light switched on. Example, my car had engine light go up. Error was throttle position sensor. Solution was simply cleaning the contacts of the throttle pedal. Be ready to invest time to do so DIY to eliminate lot of these issues

3) Replacement parts are costly in most cases. You will have to import it from other countries and usually people carry parts when they travel.

4) Mechanically these cars will run over 300K miles without issues and they have 300K miles clubs to prove their reliability.

5) Its only the electronics that usually gives up. As long as its driven and not raced around, these cars will long last for years to come.

Be aware of these issues.

Expenses include - Tyres, Wheels, suspension, bearing, Clutch (usually have seen properly driven car lasting 120+ miles), brake & components, steering wheel and most importantly Air condition. Expect to budget for these parts and expenses and calculate the overall budget. The above list will be around 4-6L overall and add this to your used car budget. See if the sum makes any sense over buying a newer car with 4 year warranty to cover those parts. Then take a decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piyush46 (Post 3936332)
Hello guys,
I am planning to buy a pre owned 2014 model superb. Its a diesel automatic variant and has been driven for around 23000 kms. I haven't seen the car in person yet and not even contacted the seller yet, since i found this ad online. Now I am a bit confused since investing in skoda, I personally feel, is a risky affair and can result in lots of money being invested in maintenance bills. Can any one of the existing superb owners help me with the following questions.
How is the long term performance of the car ?
Comments on the DSG box for long term ?
Since the car will see a lot of highways, is it trustworthy ?
I had a 2007 model superb and had a very bitter experience with it. So i am a bit apprehensive, has skoda improved over time or is it the same story ?

Thanks in advance.

The new superb is a completely different animal compared to the troublesome V6 models before it, but parts will be on the expensive side compared to Japs.(this is the case with any Euro car, and not just the superb)

The DSG issues are for the 7 speed DQ200 box on the petrol. The 6 speed DQ 250 on the diesel is a much tougher unit and can take some serious abuse.

Skoda service has improved over the years, according to reports from owners, barring a few unscrupulous dealers. Since the car you are considering is a 2014 model, mot likely it will have some warranty left, even if you are considering an older vehicle, get a car with full company service history, and a good dealer will sort out the commonly recurring issues in goodwill warranty more often than not.

At the end of the day, nothing offers even half of what the superb can offer at that price point, hence if you find a good car, go for it.

Quote:

At the end of the day, nothing offers even half of what the superb can offer at that price point, hence if you find a good car, go for it.
Thanks for your inputs JayD. The plan for buying a car is off the desk right now.
Anyways, its reassuring to know that if I (in future) decide to go with skoda, i can expect better responses and quality. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueanurag (Post 3975428)
Hello everyone. I'm driving a 2008 Hyundai i10 Era and have now seriously started thinking of an upgrade.
Thanks in advance.

I would say that rather jumping from an i10 to a Skoda Superb, the correct upgrade would be going for a 2012-13 C segment car. You would not have to worry about the maintenance costs much also would not be a big jump financially. And the fuel consumption would also not make you :Shockked: when compared to i10.

Choices that you would have are Corolla Altis, Skoda Laura, Honda Civic. They would all give you a sense of upgrade along with luxury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motor TG (Post 3963371)
Hi Somebodystopme!

It would be great if you could share your experience with your Superb DSG. How is it performing. Any issues with the mechatronic unit.

Actually, I am in a dilemma over the Superb AT and MT.

So would highly appreciate if you could share your experience in the past months with your Superb.

Thanks.

Hi
Sorry for late reply. Have been travelling alot so not following up things on team bhp alot these days.

Well my superb is performing great in all aspects DSG is also good. Only slight issue i am facing is that the car vibrates sometimes at low revs, during peak hot weather or when i have used it for more than 40-50kms in very hot weather. Its a clutch/flywheel issue which will eventually need replacement. But am planning to live with it for as long as possible, since its not an issue that disturbs my driving alot and it doesnt happen very often. Infact this happened when I test drove the car before i made the purchase so no complaints there.

As far as DSG goes mine is 2012 model, I am aware that the DSG oil was replaced for post 2011 models and since then very less issues have been reported. My car went for service a couple of months back at Jai Auto and GM himself assured if any issues with DSG is ever found it ll be replaced free of cost. The service was also pretty good and am very satisfied with my car.

Few more things worth mentioning is that I drive my car myself and i drive very gently only occasionally say once a month do i feel the need to floor the pedal :D.

Still If you ll ask me i ll suggest you not to go for this car simply because after initial excitement fades out and once the dealer coated paint buffs evaporate, you will eventually feel that the car is old for eg worn out exterior black plastics irritate me alot. If i was buying car today i would rather go for less used 2013-14 octy because its a newer model. Best of luck.

Update with regards to DSG of my superb.

So as it turns out my superb just went in for faulty mechatronic unit replacement. Skoda arya is awaiting conformation of good will warranry replacement.

My records are all clean and good. Can anyone connect me with seniors at skoda india so i can make sure i get goodwill replacement.

Service advisor pointed out that its not necessary that skoda india guves full goodwill warranty. They may give some xyz percent of good will warranty which i found absurd.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme (Post 4345209)
Can anyone connect me with seniors at skoda india

An email to customercare@skoda-auto.co.in with the CRM and works manager in of the dealership in CC should help you to get the ball rolling.

Just an update:
Got delivery of my superb today after mechatronic replacement free of cost as goodwill warranty from skoda. Also now i have 2 years warranty on the new part.
Arya skoda rama road workshop was very courteous, Manager Mr. Tarun was most assuring, I dont understand all the fuss about bad after sales from Skoda at all.
In damages i paid 10700 to arya skoda for opening and closing the gearbox inclusive in this I get a free drycleaning and exterior coating next when i send me car in for service.
All in all effortless experience. People not considering new or used superb because of DQ200, should really re-consider.

Reviving this thread.
Looking at a 2015 Octavia 1.8 TSI elegance which is clocked 57000 KMs, driver driven.

Of course worried about the DSG and driven driven part. I spoke to the driver and he has used 98% in D mode only in all conditions. Routine services done.

Any thoughts from fellow members familiar with Skoda/DSG.

Thank you