Team-BHP - Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/148070-advice-buying-used-skoda-superb-2nd-gen-6.html)

Reviving this thread for the same purpose.

Guys, the concept of buying an used D segment sedan has smitten me and I came across a 2010 Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8 TSI AT run for 34000 kms on Quikr. It is currently with a dealer but the car has seen 2 owners already. The sale price is 8L. Is it a good buy?. Any thoughts?. I have not seen the car in person as the dealer is bit far away from my place. Planning to visit over the weekend. But what are your thoughts?. Any pointers? Dealer says he has all service records. Any inputs will be of great help. Thank you.

A 9 year old superb with DSG seems to be a bit risky in terms of reliability and maintenance, specially considering that car is known to have quite a few issues. Also the price is very high,I have seen 2010-11 models going for 5-6 lakhs. Being a former Skoda Laura owner I can say you will come across quite a few expensive repair bills over time so be ready for that. In that range I would recommend you look for the 2013-14 octavias and if you are willing to take the risk then a E90 320 d or even a c class which you'll be able to get in that budget (2010 models). I know a former superb owner who upgraded to a w212 e class saying the e class is more reliable then the superb!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr (Post 4569878)

Guys, the concept of buying an used D segment sedan has smitten me and I came across a 2010 Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8 TSI AT run for 34000 kms on Quikr. It is currently with a dealer but the car has seen 2 owners already. The sale price is 8L. Is it a good buy?. Any thoughts?. I have not seen the car in person as the dealer is bit far away from my place. Planning to visit over the weekend. But what are your thoughts?. Any pointers? Dealer says he has all service records. Any inputs will be of great help. Thank you.

It is good Idea as long as you keep 1.5L aside for the DSG, and 1L for stuff like the AC compressor or ERG or something else over the next 3 years. So basically cost of car plus 2.5L over next 3 years for car repairs.

The sale price should be about 5-6L Max

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 4570430)
It is good Idea as long as you keep 1.5L aside for the DSG, and 1L for stuff like the AC compressor or ERG or something else over the next 3 years. So basically cost of car plus 2.5L over next 3 years for car repairs.

The sale price should be about 5-6L Max

Thank you Sir.

It would be great if I can get it for 6L.
I can set aside 3L for the next 3 years for repairs.
More importantly, would the spares be available?.

The same dealer has a BMW X1 1.8 sportsdrive petrol automatic
for sale for about 10L. This car is again a 2010 model registered in 2011.
Driven for about 58000 kms.

Any idea what would be the best price for this and between the two
what is a better option?.

In reading reviews and YouTube seem to suggest the Superb is more fun
to drive.

Between the two which one would have more upkeep costs?.

I will go the dealer tomorrow and take a look at both of them and update on my findings.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr (Post 4570436)

The same dealer has a BMW X1 1.8 sportsdrive petrol automatic
for sale for about 10L. This car is again a 2010 model registered in 2011.
Driven for about 58000 kms.

Any idea what would be the best price for this and between the two
what is a better option?.

In reading reviews and YouTube seem to suggest the Superb is more fun
to drive.

Between the two which one would have more upkeep costs?.

BMW you would definitely need to service outside the service centre at third party service centre to keep service costs in check.

BMW should be more reliable, but parts cost would be double.

Yes Superb would be more fun to drive as it is lower and closer to a sedan (it is a combi hatch).

Also the Superb would have more features.

The BMW should be yours for a max of about 7-8L So price wise there is not much of a difference.

Drive both to decide. Both parts should be available outside at third party garages. But if something major goes faulty then you are looking at a months lead time from the authorized centre for both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr (Post 4569878)

Skoda is infamous for 2 things:
Its DQ200 gearbox
Its bad ASS
Since you are considering a petrol Superb, you might as well have a look around for the Manual Version since they are known to be more reliable.
As for the price it seems a bit on the higher side.
In the end it is a D Segment sedan so costs of maintaining are going to be high and parts are going to be difficult to get and you will have to wait for them for a long time.
So try and keep some money on the side as an emergency fund if something goes wrong,
Also arrange an appointment with Skoda Service and take the car to them for a complete checkup before buying to get to know properly what you are going into.

Bumping up this thread as I need some advise, I was looking for a D segment sedan and saw a 2010 Superb TSI on Carwale ODO at 56k going for same around 3.5 The car looks clean when i saw it and runs fine, It is a third owner car and yet to get history around why the car was sold so many times (could be the owners can't afford the maintenance of Superb) Would it be wise for getting a Superb TSI at 3L? Keeping aside the funds needed for all electronics? Some advise would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyf1 (Post 4643221)
2010 Superb TSI on Carwale ODO at 56k going for same around 3.5, It is a third owner car and yet to get history around why the car was sold so many times (could be the owners can't afford the maintenance of Superb) Would it be wise for getting a Superb TSI at 3L? Keeping aside the funds needed for all electronics? Some advise would be greatly appreciated.

It's a 9 year old car with 3 owners. From a country, brand and model known to be unreliable. At an affordable price.

Would it be wise? No
Would it be a good deal? Only if it doesn't throw up major problems in the next few years.
How likely are major problems to occur in the next few years? Quite likely.

I'd advise against it unless you are prepared to either write off 3.5 lakh within months of buying it or are willing to spend time (multiple visits and months of waiting) and additional money (3-6 lakhs) over the next 3-5 years.

Yours was a 7 month old post. What did you end up doing Mattyf1?

My 2012 Skoda Superb MK2 1.8 TSI MT is running strong in it's 8th year. Though it is a low mileage car at only 32000kms in this period, it has not given me a single reason to even consider a upgrade. As it is a Uttarakhand registered vehicle, I plan to now keep it for 25 years, God willing.

Cheers...

Have checked out one of the last of the facelifted old Superb 1.8 TSI AT. Registered in January 2015 in that stunning Rosso Brunello (RB) colour. First owner in excellent condition with only 20K km with full Skoda service history.

Quoted 13L slightly negotiable. Is that a good deal or overpriced? Remember, BLR prices are higher anyway - I estimate this variant would have been ~29L in BLR when new after discounts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4761142)
Have checked out one of the last of the facelifted old Superb 1.8 TSI AT. Registered in January 2015 in that stunning Rosso Brunello (RB) colour. First owner in excellent condition with only 20K km with full Skoda service history.

Quoted 13L slightly negotiable. Is that a good deal or overpriced? Remember, BLR prices are higher anyway - I estimate this variant would have been ~29L in BLR when new after discounts.

Why are you even looking at old Superb's that too 1.8TSI AT. You just had one DSG failure in your Octy and now want to buy the old Superb which had an even higher failure rate as your car when it came to the DSG packing up.

What am I missing. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4761205)
What am I missing. :uncontrol

Maybe I should relook at my medication :D. Mid-life crisis coming up - maybe time to suddenly buy a Hog and impulsively ride around now.

Folks, I have always fancied the 3rd Gen Superb since it came out but never felt like buying a car of 30L new, especially considering that the new luxury cars lose money like crzy. Furthermore, since I'm salaried and cannot claim depreciating, there is really no need for me to buy new.

I have come across 2 Superb Style 1.8TSI AT both 2016 models with 41K/22K in the price range of 14.5 - 18L.

What would be a fair value of Superbs of that vintage. And what are the things that I should look out for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 4766196)
I have come across 2 Seperb Style 1.8TSI AT both 2016 models

Stay away from the ATs is all I can say. Search for low mileage MTs and you will enjoy them for decades, for the last petrolheads.

Cheers...

Hi all,
I am looking to buy an pre-owned Superb petrol Manual in Bangalore. My usage will be in the range of 5k-7k kms per year within city and a couple of long drives of around 900 kms each time. I expect to retain this car for 4-5 years.

Considering issues in DSG, low annual running and love for manual transmission, I prefer the 1.8 TSI 6 speed manual.

Pls suggest which one of the below maybe considered:
2010 with 80k on the odometer and second owner at Rs 4.0 lacs
2011 with 60k on the odometer and a first owner through a dealer at Rs 7.0 lacs

Cars above 2014 mfg year with less than 75k kms breaches the Rs 10.0 lac price and is out of my budget.

What are the expected failures in the above aged vehicles?
What will be the approx bank balance I would need to maintain during the ownership period to attend to the failures?
Are there FNG's in Bangalore to bank on for the routine minor repairs?