Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 4th April 2019, 17:02   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)

Reviving this thread for the same purpose.

Guys, the concept of buying an used D segment sedan has smitten me and I came across a 2010 Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8 TSI AT run for 34000 kms on Quikr. It is currently with a dealer but the car has seen 2 owners already. The sale price is 8L. Is it a good buy?. Any thoughts?. I have not seen the car in person as the dealer is bit far away from my place. Planning to visit over the weekend. But what are your thoughts?. Any pointers? Dealer says he has all service records. Any inputs will be of great help. Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 14:35   #77

A 9 year old superb with DSG seems to be a bit risky in terms of reliability and maintenance, specially considering that car is known to have quite a few issues. Also the price is very high,I have seen 2010-11 models going for 5-6 lakhs. Being a former Skoda Laura owner I can say you will come across quite a few expensive repair bills over time so be ready for that. In that range I would recommend you look for the 2013-14 octavias and if you are willing to take the risk then a E90 320 d or even a c class which you'll be able to get in that budget (2010 models). I know a former superb owner who upgraded to a w212 e class saying the e class is more reliable then the superb!
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 15:13   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post

Guys, the concept of buying an used D segment sedan has smitten me and I came across a 2010 Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8 TSI AT run for 34000 kms on Quikr. It is currently with a dealer but the car has seen 2 owners already. The sale price is 8L. Is it a good buy?. Any thoughts?. I have not seen the car in person as the dealer is bit far away from my place. Planning to visit over the weekend. But what are your thoughts?. Any pointers? Dealer says he has all service records. Any inputs will be of great help. Thank you.
It is good Idea as long as you keep 1.5L aside for the DSG, and 1L for stuff like the AC compressor or ERG or something else over the next 3 years. So basically cost of car plus 2.5L over next 3 years for car repairs.

The sale price should be about 5-6L Max
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 15:28   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is good Idea as long as you keep 1.5L aside for the DSG, and 1L for stuff like the AC compressor or ERG or something else over the next 3 years. So basically cost of car plus 2.5L over next 3 years for car repairs.

The sale price should be about 5-6L Max
Thank you Sir.

It would be great if I can get it for 6L.
I can set aside 3L for the next 3 years for repairs.
More importantly, would the spares be available?.

The same dealer has a BMW X1 1.8 sportsdrive petrol automatic
for sale for about 10L. This car is again a 2010 model registered in 2011.
Driven for about 58000 kms.

Any idea what would be the best price for this and between the two
what is a better option?.

In reading reviews and YouTube seem to suggest the Superb is more fun
to drive.

Between the two which one would have more upkeep costs?.

I will go the dealer tomorrow and take a look at both of them and update on my findings.

Thanks for your help.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 16:14   #80
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The same dealer has a BMW X1 1.8 sportsdrive petrol automatic
for sale for about 10L. This car is again a 2010 model registered in 2011.
Driven for about 58000 kms.

Any idea what would be the best price for this and between the two
what is a better option?.

In reading reviews and YouTube seem to suggest the Superb is more fun
to drive.

Between the two which one would have more upkeep costs?.

BMW you would definitely need to service outside the service centre at third party service centre to keep service costs in check.

BMW should be more reliable, but parts cost would be double.

Yes Superb would be more fun to drive as it is lower and closer to a sedan (it is a combi hatch).

Also the Superb would have more features.

The BMW should be yours for a max of about 7-8L So price wise there is not much of a difference.

Drive both to decide. Both parts should be available outside at third party garages. But if something major goes faulty then you are looking at a months lead time from the authorized centre for both.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 20:24   #81

Quote:

Skoda is infamous for 2 things:
Its DQ200 gearbox
Its bad ASS
Since you are considering a petrol Superb, you might as well have a look around for the Manual Version since they are known to be more reliable.
As for the price it seems a bit on the higher side.
In the end it is a D Segment sedan so costs of maintaining are going to be high and parts are going to be difficult to get and you will have to wait for them for a long time.
So try and keep some money on the side as an emergency fund if something goes wrong,
Also arrange an appointment with Skoda Service and take the car to them for a complete checkup before buying to get to know properly what you are going into.
AdityaH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote