Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 18:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Deciding on an A4 1.8 TFSI - Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraf_suman View Post
Hmm Camry doesn't come with a sunroof AFAIk :-)
I have a sunroof in my car. Its came as "standard" on i10 AT Asta back in 2010.
The car is nearing 60K and I have driven with the sunroof glass open for < 50km in total. I do open the inner cover regularly when I am driving early morning, its also awesome to watch the raindrops hitting against the glass, but thats where it ends. The glass always remains closed.

I know sunroof is a must have for you. But trust me its useless in most parts of India. You can always rent a zoomcar or something if you really need sunroof for a particular drive once in a bluemoon.

Don't reject a car just for the lack of sunroof.
Old 11th October 2015, 19:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Don't reject a car just for the lack of sunroof.
I agree. Unfortunately, the car buying process isn't always a completely rational one. There are too many emotions involved, of wife, of kids etc. etc. As I said in my opening post, my kids will shoot down any car w/o a sunroof.

I know I would never open it. Maybe they will, a few times, when riding with their mom ;-)

Last edited by manson : 6th November 2015 at 16:36. Reason: Fixed quote.
saraf_suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 21:13   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. You are right, the 1.8 TSI Octavia checks all boxes. It was on my shortlist. However, having owned a Fabia, I have experienced the HORRID Skoda A.S.S first hand! Multiple times! Even though its the same VAG group, I am hoping with Audi, I will have a much better A.S.S. experience.
Quote:
Please drive some sense into me if I am about to make the wrong decision :-)
Skipping Skoda and picking up a high end German car in the hope of better A.S.S can safely be considered a wrong decision :-)

Quote:
I agree. Unfortunately, the car buying process isn't always a completely rational one.
Keeping sunroof in mind, my suggestion would be light colour Octavia TSI or Mercedes new C class with panoroof.

Buy a new car that will offer a predictable ownership cost. I agree used luxury cars can save big money, but I feel it works only for people who are good at picking a good used car and know a thing or two about getting the car maintained outside a.s.s.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 09:55   #49
BHPian

Re: C250 replacement: Audi A4 vs Mercedes CLA-Class vs Audi Q3?

Guys, in a bit of a quandry - A4 vs CLA. Not a daily runner, but mostly self driven, dont mind petrols and first time in the luxury segment.

CLA - Droolworthy looks, feels sporty, poor legroom at the back, poor diesel, ~35L 2 liter petrol (diesel +1L)

A4 - Good looks, a segment above CLA, good back bench, new model due soon, not as loaded as CLA in terms of equipment, CVT, ~31 1.8liter petrol (diesel +3L)

So what do you guys reckon? Also, i have mixed feelings about 320D so did not list it here!
Old 6th November 2015, 10:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Guys, in a bit of a quandry - A4 vs CLA. Not a daily runner, but mostly self driven, dont mind petrols and first time in the luxury segment.

CLA - Droolworthy looks, feels sporty, poor legroom at the back, poor diesel, ~35L 2 liter petrol (diesel +1L)

A4 - Good looks, a segment above CLA, good back bench, new model due soon, not as loaded as CLA in terms of equipment, CVT, ~31 1.8liter petrol (diesel +3L)

So what do you guys reckon? Also, i have mixed feelings about 320D so did not list it here!
I was lucky to see the new A4 in flesh and it looked amazing! The interior looks light years away from the A4 it replaces. I would recommend waiting for that as I feel it is a strong competitor.

I sat in a CLA last year and I feel it is a good car if you are going to self drive it, but is pathetic for passengers. Some might say I'm weird, but I didn't like the interior too much either. Still, it is definitely a head turner. It's price does seem a bit too much for a car of its size, but you are going to self drive it so leg room shouldn't be a problem unless you will be traveling with adults in the back.

I'm not sure if the BMW 3 series facelift has already come to India or not, but it doesn't look that different from the pre-facelift version. The exterior never appealed me, but I love the car. It is a fun car and should be the most fun to drive car. Chris Harris did a review of a 320d and he enjoyed it. Here's the video: BMW is also offering some discounts on the 3 I've heard.
Old 6th November 2015, 12:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Choose between the CLA and 320d, A4 is way too old now. Recommendation would be the 320d (over CLA). The Mercedes is very stylish but I reckon the BMW scores in every other aspect.
Old 7th November 2015, 01:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Choose between the CLA and 320d, A4 is way too old now. Recommendation would be the 320d (over CLA). The Mercedes is very stylish but I reckon the BMW scores in every other aspect.
Hi vb-san,
320d has good driving comfort+dynamics;but many people complain about bad ride,bad BMW A.S.S etc. Above all the improved 3 series will arrive soon-which looks better than the current one.

The better bet would be to wait for the new A4 or even the face-lifted 3 series.

CLA is stylish but not in the same class as 320d/A4.I have always felt CLA as an object of desire similar to the VW beetle-rather than a full bloom car for daily commuting.

Practical use with great ownership pride- the new 320d/A4(wait!)
Envious looks with enhanced ownership pride-CLA
Old 7th November 2015, 07:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post

Seems like your heart has already made the decision! Go for the CLA if the rear bench is used very rarely, cause it's pathetic. The diesel is a little underpowered, so 180hp petrol would be a better option. Even though it's half a segment lower than the 3, interior quality is almost the same or very slightly better. Don't know about the new A4 though.
Suraj25 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 00:40   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Go for the CLA if the rear bench is used very rarely, cause it's pathetic. Don't know about the new A4 though.
Better wait for the new A4/face-lifted 3 series CLA is a cute car-probably for a self driven rich man's son/daughter. Can't treat it as a full practical sedan!
Old 10th November 2015, 12:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
I was lucky to see the new A4 in flesh and it looked amazing! The interior looks light years away from the A4 it replaces. I would recommend waiting for that as I feel it is a strong competitor.

I sat in a CLA last year and I feel it is a good car if you are going to self drive it, but is pathetic for passengers. Some might say I'm weird, but I didn't like the interior too much either. Still, it is definitely a head turner. It's price does seem a bit too much for a car of its size, but you are going to self drive it so leg room shouldn't be a problem unless you will be traveling with adults in the back.

I'm not sure if the BMW 3 series facelift has already come to India or not, but it doesn't look that different from the pre-facelift version. The exterior never appealed me, but I love the car. It is a fun car and should be the most fun to drive car. Chris Harris did a review of a 320d and he enjoyed it. Here's the video: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=zKrXFTL_6pw BMW is also offering some discounts on the 3 I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Hi vb-san,
320d has good driving comfort+dynamics;but many people complain about bad ride,bad BMW A.S.S etc. Above all the improved 3 series will arrive soon-which looks better than the current one.

The better bet would be to wait for the new A4 or even the face-lifted 3 series.

CLA is stylish but not in the same class as 320d/A4.I have always felt CLA as an object of desire similar to the VW beetle-rather than a full bloom car for daily commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Seems like your heart has already made the decision! Go for the CLA if the rear bench is used very rarely, cause it's pathetic. The diesel is a little underpowered, so 180hp petrol would be a better option. Even though it's half a segment lower than the 3, interior quality is almost the same or very slightly better. Don't know about the new A4 though.
Quote:
Better wait for the new A4/face-lifted 3 series CLA is a cute car-probably for a self driven rich man's son/daughter. Can't treat it as a full practical sedan!
Thanks guys!

The problem in this case is the budget which is limited to 35-36L max. CLA is a straight up buy at this price. However, I can only get the current A4 (7-8L discount) or 320D (7.5L discount) in this because the price would get jacked up once the new facelift/model gets launched. The pricing would again reach 42-45L range which is way beyond my reach.

I test drove the 320D Sport (37L; Diesel), loved its driving though lack of panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, cruise control was kind of a let down. It also felt roomier, more planted.

CLA (CKD, 34L, Petrol) on the other hand lacks ACC, rear space, Harmon Kardon system, navigation and a few other things. CBU has the system and navigation but is 2.3L more expensive! But the looks, sporty front seats kind of sways you.

I need to make up my mind soon, and its proving quite tough.
Old 10th November 2015, 13:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys!

The problem in this case is the budget which is limited to 35-36L max. CLA is a straight up buy at this price. However, I can only get the current A4 (7-8L discount) or 320D (7.5L discount) in this because the price would get jacked up once the new facelift/model gets launched. The pricing would again reach 42-45L range which is way beyond my reach.

I test drove the 320D Sport (37L; Diesel), loved its driving though lack of panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, cruise control was kind of a let down. It also felt roomier, more planted.

CLA (CKD, 34L, Petrol) on the other hand lacks ACC, rear space, Harmon Kardon system, navigation and a few other things. CBU has the system and navigation but is 2.3L more expensive! But the looks, sporty front seats kind of sways you.

I need to make up my mind soon, and its proving quite tough.
Personal preference is 320d. I love that car. There's an owners group on Facebook which is pretty active and gives details about mods and stuff. i<3turbo has a pretty nice 320d (previously the Tron 3 Series) and I loved it when I saw it in person. Here's the thread with pics of his car: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...india-162.html Also, many people have said BMW's BSI package is amazing so I think that could be a deal changer as well. Given the choice, I would pick the 3 over the CLA. Best of luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks