Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2015, 20:07   #1
BHPian

C250 replacement: Audi A4 vs Mercedes CLA-Class vs Audi Q3?

Hi,

Needed advice. I'm in the market for immediate replacement of my 2011 C250 (as a habit, I change cars every 3-4 years and retaining the C class is not something I want to do).

After looking at all the options, narrowed things down to the A4 TFSI Premium variant and the Mercedes Benz CLA TDI Style variant.

They both are costing nearing the same +- 100K. I have been a loyal Mercedes owner for years, but also own cars from the VAG.

My brand loyalty and heart lies with Mercedes, but in the recent few years, have not really been too happy with the Mercedes Experience. Even at the dealership, it was more of a halwai shop attitude.

The experience with Audi has been beyond fantastic, the discounts they are offering have also been very pleasing, their attitude towards the customer is also at another level and their number and market lead are a testimony to their on-ground superiority (service and experience, not the product necessarily).

Usage:

1000KMs a month of city driving, 70% chauffeur driven.

Looking to making a decision asap. My thoughts so far -

Looks: Mercedes
Comfort: Audi
Equipment: Tie
Drive: Mercedes
Practicality: Audi
VFM: Audi
Backseat comfort: Audi
Weekend Self-driving Fun: Mercedes

Please help, thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 14:21. Reason: Typo
Old 4th April 2015, 20:43   #2
BHPian

re: C250 replacement: Audi A4 vs Mercedes CLA-Class vs Audi Q3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post

Usage:

1000KMs a month of city driving, 70% chauffeur driven.

Looking to making a decision asap. My thoughts so far -

Looks: Mercedes
Comfort: Audi
Equipment: Tie
Drive: Mercedes
Practicality: Audi
VFM: Audi
Backseat comfort: Audi
Weekend Self-driving Fun: Mercedes

Please help, thanks in advance!
Both the cars you've shortlisted are in different segments. While the CLA is an entry level luxury sedan competing with the A3, the A4 is a segment higher.

If Merc have not been treating you well, why force your self to put up with them? Seeing that you've had a pleasant experience with Audi, and have never owned one, it's worth giving a shot.

I don't recommend the A4 though, as it has been around for too long. A facelift is long overdue. A more current and all round offering is the Q3, which has a more comfortable backseat than the cars you have mentioned. Since you are 70% chauffeur driven, comfort seems to be a trait you will give greater importance to. ever when you are at the wheel, there is some fun to be had.
All in all, I feel the Q3 may be well worth it.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by Turbo_asd : 4th April 2015 at 20:44.
Turbo_asd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 20:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Both the cars you've shortlisted are in different segments. While the CLA is an entry level luxury sedan competing with the A3, the A4 is a segment higher.

If Merc have not been treating you well, why force your self to put up with them? Seeing that you've had a pleasant experience with Audi, and have never owned one, it's worth giving a shot.

I don't recommend the A4 though, as it has been around for too long. A facelift is long overdue. A more current and all round offering is the Q3, which has a more comfortable backseat than the cars you have mentioned. Since you are 70% chauffeur driven, comfort seems to be a trait you will give greater importance to. ever when you are at the wheel, there is some fun to be had.

Happy shopping!
+ 1
If you are willing to buy Audi, then Q3 is anyday a better choice.
2 Litre Diesel has ample torque and driving comfort is good as well.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 13:35. Reason: Typo
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 00:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The CLA is technically a downgrade from the C250 you currently drive - both in terms of performance, and comfort (you did mention 70% chauffeur driven). For that purpose look no further than the A4.
Yes, it is soon to be replaced, but even then, it is the most spacious and comfortable amongst the CLA and Q3, and also ticks most of your boxes. You are anyways getting a good deal on the car and will be replacing it in a few years so it wouldn't feel too outdated by the time you would look at selling it.
Alternately, have you considered the 320D? A little bit more spacious than the CLA, and decently comfortable while being a beast to drive! BMW reliability also seems to be good judging from my own experience as well as friends, and will have good deals going on as well.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 12:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post

Happy shopping!
Good advice, shall ask for a quote on the Q3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
+ 1
If you are willing to buy Audi, then Q3 is anyday a better choice.
2 Litre Diesel have ample torque and driving comfort is good as well.
Thanks!
Did not cross my mind, hoping the dealer is able to match the price on the Q3 with the A4 price he offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The CLA is technically a downgrade from the C250 you currently drive - both in terms of performance, and comfort (you did mention 70% chauffeur driven). For that purpose look no further than the A4.
Yes, it is soon to be replaced, but even then, it is the most spacious and comfortable amongst the CLA and Q3, and also ticks most of your boxes. You are anyways getting a good deal on the car and will be replacing it in a few years so it wouldn't feel too outdated by the time you would look at selling it.
Alternately, have you considered the 320D? A little bit more spacious than the CLA, and decently comfortable while being a beast to drive! BMW reliability also seems to be good judging from my own experience as well as friends, and will have good deals going on as well.
Yes, CLA (and even the A4 on the whole) feels like a downgrade from the W204. However, both cost around ~10 Lakhs less, so can't complain much. I am pretty keen on the A4, but the 2016 A4 is right round the corner and it would be heartbreaking to see a new car get outdated within months of purchase.

On the other hand the CLA feels a lot more 2015 and the brand value is unquestioned. Compatibility with a chauffeur is the only thing which is keeping from finalising.

Yes, I did consider the 320D, but the dealers here are very rigid and offer no discounts, the 320D overshoots the budget by a good 5-6 lakhs, which is why it's out of the race.

Right now, it's Q3 v/s CLA v/s A4, the heart says CLA, the mind says A4. Yet to TD the Q3, so can't say.
madnish30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 12:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Good advice, shall ask for a quote on the Q3 as well.

Thanks!
Did not cross my mind, hoping the dealer is able to match the price on the Q3 with the A4 price he offered.

Yes, CLA (and even the A4 on the whole) feels like a downgrade from the W204. However, both cost around ~10 Lakhs less, so can't complain much. I am pretty keen on the A4, but the 2016 A4 is right round the corner and it would be heartbreaking to see a new car get outdated within months of purchase.

On the other hand the CLA feels a lot more 2015 and the brand value is unquestioned. Compatibility with a chauffeur is the only thing which is keeping from finalising.

Yes, I did consider the 320D, but the dealers here are very rigid and offer no discounts, the 320D overshoots the budget by a good 5-6 lakhs, which is why it's out of the race.

Right now, it's Q3 v/s CLA v/s A4, the heart says CLA, the mind says A4. Yet to TD the Q3, so can't say.
The only issue for me in not choosing the CLA is that it will be 70% chauffeur driven. Its a drivers car and has no space in the back. I wouldn't get the A4 as it looks dated and doesn't give you the "wow" factor the CLA would. On the other hand the A3 is comparable to CLA and might save you another 3-4 lakhs if budget is tight.

If there is not flexibility in chauffeur driven time I would say Q3, otherwise CLA.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:18   #7
BHPian

If you are ok with rear seat space of CLA, have a look at A3 TFSI.

It's fun to drive with good handling and ride package. Though I haven't driven any of them, many reviews suggest so. In my city Audi and Merc both have shoddy service record so I didn't bother to consider any product from these Germans. Also these cars are a common sight in a small city so I opted for V40. I won't recommend you this, because its rear seat space is comparable to Swift

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 14:23. Reason: Typo
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th April 2015, 11:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as a thought - what if you retained the C for one more year and then picked up a new ride?
In all probability, your budget would go up, and there would be discounts on the new C as well - so might just turn into a win-win situation. Also, 2016 should have the launch of the new Superb/Passat which may not possess the brand value of one of these germans, but more than makes up for it in terms of comfort, features, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 13:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful place to be madnish30. I am a bit surprised that you wouldnt consider the C class again. I saw one being shifted from the stockyard to the showroom and the on-road presence was simply amazing. Had such a beautiful squated stance at the rear and was very plush from the front.

If this doesnt do it for you then I would vote for the CLA because of it being more up-to-date. The A4 looks very old and dated....even the brand new ones. I hear the new A4 is out Aug-15. Maybe you could wait until then?
Old 6th April 2015, 14:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: C250 replacement: Audi A4 vs Mercedes CLA-Class vs Audi Q3?

You need to sit back and review the situation because you are making the wrong decisions.

- Despite the car being 70% chauffeur-driven, you are considering the CLA-Class which has a poorer back seat than a 7 lakh Hyundai i20. It's like buying a Mahindra Thar for hot laps on the Buddh circuit. Totally unsuited!

- Another car you are considering is the Audi A4 which was introduced before you bought your C250! The A4 is awfully long in the tooth and its next generation is just around the corner. Why even bother?

I understand you want to change because of 'habit', but the fact is, neither of these cars are an upgrade from your C-Class! Change for the heck of change isn't cool....change is only welcome when you end up with something better.

If I was in your place:

- I'd retain the C-Class. As my budget increases and / or I have better options to choose from, that's when I'll buy the replacement.

- If you absolutely have to buy something right now in the same price range, go for the BMW 320D. The new gen's backseat is much better (better than your C250 too), its ride quality is softer and the space has much improved. It's very close to the 5-Series now.

- You could also consider a pre-owned E-Class or 5-Series. You'll easily get examples with company backed warranty.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You need to sit back and review the situation because you are making the wrong decisions.
This! Your options seem more like a downgrade to me!

Like stated by other members:

- CLA is a nice looking car but not meant for chauffeur driven. In fact, back seat passengers can complain because of the lack of space in CLA!
- Q3 is in the mini SUV league and won't be a good chauffeur driven car too!
- A4 is too old. No matter how much discount you get for it, you will regret it as soon as the new model launches!

My suggestion would be to wait for the new C class to launch locally assembled cars(CKD).

If you are not happy with Mercedes service, if Bmw is not giving you any discounts and if Audi is not having any interesting models matching your requirement then take a look at Volvo. I am not sure about the on-road price and if there are any discounts available but the Volvo XC60 is a looker! There are very good reviews by Bhpians about Volvo's service too.

Also, if you are open for user cars then you are looking at a segment higher like the 5 series, Q5, X3, Jaguar XF etc.
yaseenar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 23:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
The only issue for me in not choosing the CLA is that it will be 70% chauffeur driven. Its a drivers car and has no space in the back. I wouldn't get the A4 as it looks dated and doesn't give you the "wow" factor the CLA would. On the other hand the A3 is comparable to CLA and might save you another 3-4 lakhs if budget is tight.

If there is not flexibility in chauffeur driven time I would say Q3, otherwise CLA.
Agree, have ruled out the CLA as a replacement for C, just not fit to be chauffeur driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
If you are ok with rear seat space of CLA, have a look at A3 TFSI.

It's fun to drive with good handling and ride package. Though I haven't driven any of them, many reviews suggest so. In my city Audi and Merc both have shoddy service record so I didn't bother to consider any product from these Germans. Also these cars are a common sight in a small city so I opted for V40. I won't recommend you this, because its rear seat space is comparable to Swift
A3 TFSi is out of budget and now have made up my mind to retain the C and replace the VW with A3/CLA - and that is self driven with a daily running of 60-70KMs and even though the petrol and diesel price differences have narrowed down, don't think a petrol car makes sense with that sort of daily running.

V40 is a fantastic car, very rare on the road, but the dealers refuse to give discounts and are pretty arrogant, besides, not looking to go back to a hatch/crossovers - else, would be a whole new thread GLA vs V40 vs 1 Series vs Q3

PS: I did consider the S60, however the dealership experience was enough to rule it out, completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Just as a thought - what if you retained the C for one more year and then picked up a new ride?

In all probability, your budget would go up, and there would be discounts on the new C as well - so might just turn into a win-win situation. Also, 2016 should have the launch of the new Superb/Passat which may not possess the brand value of one of these germans, but more than makes up for it in terms of comfort, features, etc.
Yes, have decided to retain the C, have it refubed with a day at the car spa and new set of tyres

Will now be in the market for a Vento replacement, considering the A3/CLA and Octavia/Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
A wonderful place to be madnish30. I am a bit surprised that you wouldnt consider the C class again. I saw one being shifted from the stockyard to the showroom and the on-road presence was simply amazing. Had such a beautiful squated stance at the rear and was very plush from the front.

If this doesnt do it for you then I would vote for the CLA because of it being more up-to-date. The A4 looks very old and dated....even the brand new ones. I hear the new A4 is out Aug-15. Maybe you could wait until then?
Hehe, thanks

I TD'd the new C class, it's simply amazing - it's so futuristic and is indeed the Baby-S class, however the drive was as good as the current C, only the looks and technology is a step (and a generation!) ahead. However, it's 10 lacs over budget and doesn't feel VFM at the moment, it's even 10-15 lacs more expensive than the immediate competition - A4/320D.

A4 looks dated, the dealer insists that the new A4 will not come before Diwali 2016 to India and is ready to give that in writing, don't think I'd like to wait that long.

Instead, shall look out for Vento replacement and retain the current C class for a few more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Despite the car being 70% chauffeur-driven, you are considering the CLA-Class which has a poorer back seat than a 7 lakh Hyundai i20. It's like buying a Mahindra Thar for hot laps on the Buddh circuit. Totally unsuited!

- Another car you are considering is the Audi A4 which was introduced before you bought your C250! The A4 is awfully long in the tooth and its next generation is just around the corner. Why even bother?

I understand you want to change because of 'habit', but the fact is, neither of these cars are an upgrade from your C-Class! Change for the heck of change isn't cool....change is only welcome when you end up with something better.

If I was in your place:

- I'd retain the C-Class. As my budget increases and / or I have better options to choose from, that's when I'll buy the replacement.

- If you absolutely have to buy something right now in the same price range, go for the BMW 320D. The new gen's backseat is much better (better than your C250 too), its ride quality is softer and the space has much improved. It's very close to the 5-Series now.

- You could also consider a pre-owned E-Class or 5-Series. You'll easily get examples with company backed warranty.
Thanks for the valuable input GTO. Makes sense, which is why I have decided to retain the C, have it sent to the Car Spa and get new new shoes for her.

Have decided to look for a replacement for my VW and am considering the A3/CLA/Jetta/Octavia - it's 90% self driven, no issues with back seat space and 60-70 KMs of daily running, so surely has to be a diesel car.

Budget would ideally be 25 lacs (after trading the VW).

On another note, TD'd the 3 series, thoroughly disappointed with the car and the dealership experience both, it costs same as the A4, but Audi experience and even the car is way ahead. Backseat comfort is indeed great, however the cabin feels dated and the ride was not very promising, having TD'd the A4, new C class, CLA and the A3, the 320D was a big big let down. Felt from a lower segment all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
This! Your options seem more like a downgrade to me!

Like stated by other members:

- CLA is a nice looking car but not meant for chauffeur driven. In fact, back seat passengers can complain because of the lack of space in CLA!
- Q3 is in the mini SUV league and won't be a good chauffeur driven car too!
- A4 is too old. No matter how much discount you get for it, you will regret it as soon as the new model launches!

My suggestion would be to wait for the new C class to launch locally assembled cars(CKD).

If you are not happy with Mercedes service, if Bmw is not giving you any discounts and if Audi is not having any interesting models matching your requirement then take a look at Volvo. I am not sure about the on-road price and if there are any discounts available but the Volvo XC60 is a looker! There are very good reviews by Bhpians about Volvo's service too.

Also, if you are open for user cars then you are looking at a segment higher like the 5 series, Q5, X3, Jaguar XF etc.
Thanks for your suggestions, the make a lot of sense. Have decided to retain the C. Staying clear of Volvo as had a terrible experience at the dealer and not looking to get into the hatch/crossover segment with the V40, S60 is a little over budget.

Not really the type, who goes for used cars.

Will be in the market for replacing my VW, with a budget of 25L - considering the A3 and CLA as well the Octavia and Jetta.

Thank you all for your input
Old 24th April 2015, 23:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

Are you not even considering the Volvo S60? Or even the new V40 cross which was launched in petrol recently?
Old 24th April 2015, 23:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:

V40 is a fantastic car, very rare on the road, but the dealers refuse to give discounts and are pretty arrogant, besides, not looking to go back to a hatch/crossovers - else, would be a whole new thread GLA vs V40 vs 1 Series vs Q3

PS: I did consider the S60, however the dealership experience was enough to rule it out, completely.
Hey,

Although the Volvo dealership experience wasn't good, please do not rule out two wonderful cars, S60 and V40. Both look the part, are very rare and hence grab eyeballs, have decent engines and are more reliable than the Germans (debatable). Also, the insurance premium is very less compared to other cars in the segment. An added benefit is that these cars are CBU's so better quality. I would say have a look at the V40 petrol which was recently launched since 60-70 kms daily running wouldn't give significant savings if you go for diesel. I see your location as Delhi so go to some other dealer in NCR to test these machines. If you bargain enough, good discounts are to be had.

Keep revvin!
Old 25th April 2015, 00:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are you not even considering the Volvo S60? Or even the new V40 cross which was launched in petrol recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Hey,

Although the Volvo dealership experience wasn't good, please do not rule out two wonderful cars, S60 and V40. Both look the part, are very rare and hence grab eyeballs, have decent engines and are more reliable than the Germans (debatable). Also, the insurance premium is very less compared to other cars in the segment. An added benefit is that these cars are CBU's so better quality. I would say have a look at the V40 petrol which was recently launched since 60-70 kms daily running wouldn't give significant savings if you go for diesel. I see your location as Delhi so go to some other dealer in NCR to test these machines. If you bargain enough, good discounts are to be had.

Keep revvin!
Ahhh, more confusion

V40 - I wouldn't consider - because, not really keen on going into the hatch/crossover segment and then evaluate A/B/GLA/1 as well.

S60 does indeed look like a great option, which now I shall consider... even though it seems to be pricier than the A3 (looking for a Vento replacement!). Shall visit another dealer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks