Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 12:51   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Am planning to upgrade my camry 2008 WT AT, bought by me in 2010, thanks to very useful inputs by expert advise by esteemed members here.

My camry is in great shape and other than regular servicing has been completely trouble free and great to drive.

How ever I think it is right time to upgrade and had set my eyes on a used 5 series 520D, perhaps 2 or 3 years old. While doing so came across X3 and when I sat in driver's seat was stumped by the high position and view and comfort, compared to the typical low set position of a sedan like camry and added to that the frustration of getting underbelly scraped atleast few times every day due to low clearance. I also realised that X3 has similar features and technology as a 5 series, though not a looker like the 5 series.

I have since decided to go for a X3, or a Q5, 2012 or later models.

Following are 2 choices presently available.

1. Q5, 2012, 45K done, well maintained asking 47L.

2. X3, 320D, topend model, 2013, 45K done asking 42L.

Leaning towards X3 have given offer of 38L, presently and waiting for response from dealer. I feel it is a reasonable offer for the 6 cylinder 3 liter diesel.

My driving is typically less than 12kms per day and perhaps one or max 2 highway trips in a year less than 300 kms each time. Though it may change with the SUV!

Adding a spanner into the works a couple of my doctor friends (am physician too) bought new BMWs with plenty of discounts thrown in. Sales rep is behind me and offers 51L for 5 series on road (have to confirm the trim), and my friend bought X3 20d Xline for 55L last month after discounts.

Though I can afford new X3, have always bought used cars since 1988 when we bought a used 1 year old 800, to later 3 year old Honda city and finally 2 year old Camry and have never been disappointed with the cars thus far, and infact closely follow GTO's mantra of buying higher segment for less, if u do your research well and don't mind a used well maintained car!

I intend to keep this wheels for at least 5 to 6 years before looking to upgrade.

What would be the best advise? Used X3 or Q5 or new X3 with plenty of discounts.
From the net could not make out if X3 has significantly changed over 2 years and infact 320D has been discontinued and new 320D M sport is out of reach at 76L on road in bangalore.
Thanks for the advise, in anticipation.
Old 1st November 2015, 14:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post

What would be the best advise? Used X3 or Q5 or new X3 with plenty of discounts.
From the net could not make out if X3 has significantly changed over 2 years and infact 320D has been discontinued and new 320D M sport is out of reach at 76L on road in bangalore.
Thanks for the advise, in anticipation.
Both the Q5 and the X3 are quite close to the end of their model life cycle, the Q5 more so. The X3 was refreshed last year with some cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior. The all new X3 is expected in 2017 I guess. So you will not be missing anything major if you go for the used model right now.

In Bangalore it is not easy driving a low slung sedan with the state of roads here. So these luxury crossovers make a lot of sense. Do consider the Volvo XC 60 also if you are looking at cars in this class.

The 3 litre X3 is called 30D. Any idea what kind of discounts are on offer for the 30D M Sport? I wish the 30D was available in standard X line trim.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 14:48   #3
BHPian

re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Both the Q5 and the X3 are quite close to the end of their model life cycle, the Q5 more so. The X3 was refreshed last year with some cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior. The all new X3 is expected in 2017 I guess. So you will not be missing anything major if you go for the used model right now.

In Bangalore it is not easy driving a low slung sedan with the state of roads here. So these luxury crossovers make a lot of sense. Do consider the Volvo XC 60 also if you are looking at cars in this class.

The 3 litre X3 is called 30D. Any idea what kind of discounts are on offer for the 30D M Sport? I wish the 30D was available in standard X line trim.
Thanks for your inputs.

Unlike high way driving high seat position and auto transmission I think are 2 very useful attributes for comfortable, less stressful driving in city driving as well as high ground clearance for eternally crater filled roads year long in city like Bangalore.

The M sport X3 is currently not listed in BMW India for sale in Bangalore, but sales rep said it is available, but have not asked for the discount on it as it would be around 75L plus given at 20%, road taxes are highest in India for Karnataka.

Friend of mine and me are on the look out for relatively new used X3 or a brand new one too with high discounted price.
Old 1st November 2015, 15:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

A new X3 3.0D is priced ridiculously, The Audi Q5 had good space and a spare but driving dynamics are way behind an X3. AS there are more 3.0L around, it might be cheaper since better supply but a new one should be out within a year.

The X3 is pretty impressive. I drove it on muddy track during the BMW Experience and clocked 54sec in a 2.0D. The nearest X5 clocked 56 sec. Imagine if I had a X3 3.0D. The dynamics are pretty spot on and I was impressed by the way it handled and could be controlled on the limited. The feedback it gave was compelling.

I cannot speak for the Audi though but steering feedback aint as good.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 16:14   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the feed back ajmat.
X3 30d has been clocked to do an insane 6.2 secs from 0 to 100 kms in reviews.
It is a shame that they withdrew it completely from 2014.
Its replacement M sport X3, is way out priced at 75L, not withstanding the goodies is prohibitively expensive.
So is the 2013, 45 K done X3 30d a good buy at 38 or there abouts?
Indian Kelly blue book seems to suggest so.
Old 1st November 2015, 20:53   #6
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support - Do NOT post biased messages on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2015 at 13:35.
volvo_harish is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2015, 21:31   #7
BHPian

Sumeet, another option you can consider is used 3 series GT.
It has higher ground than the sedan version and has a larger and useful luggage loading capacity. So you can have the sedan like driving experience with much better ground clearance (165 mm if I'm not wrong) Also it is wider than 3 series sedan and back seat space is better than 5 series.
If used one is difficult to find, you can check with bmw dealer for any huge discounts on this model
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Sumeet, another option you can consider is used 3 series GT.
It has higher ground than the sedan version and has a larger and useful luggage loading capacity. So you can have the sedan like driving experience with much better ground clearance (165 mm if I'm not wrong) Also it is wider than 3 series sedan and back seat space is better than 5 series.
If used one is difficult to find, you can check with bmw dealer for any huge discounts on this model
Thanks for the suggestion, this did cross my mind when I saw a thread with discussion on GT, which seems to 'bridge' the gap some what from the 'drawbacks', of typical sedan experience of driving position, ground clearance etc.

True, there does not seem to be any preowned options presently in the reputed luxury car dealers (who themselves are few) in Bangalore.

The issue is with the price point of new one which if I am not mistaken OTR may come to 56L territory in B'lore.

Still will mull it over and perhaps test drive it too.
Another option some one suggested is ML CDI 250, which I know is discontinued and relaunched as GLE, which is still to be offered in B'ore and currently only in few places like Mumbai and Delhi.
Old 1st November 2015, 22:39   #9
BHPian

Bangalore having higher prices on preowned cars, is it an option for you to find used car in place like say Mumbai (where the preowned price is cheaper compared to Blore for the same specifications car) and then pay the re-registration charges in Blore. Not sure if this makes financial sense (ie cost of re registration + car cost in Mumbai is lesser than the preowned car cost in Blore)
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Bangalore having higher prices on preowned cars, is it an option for you to find used car in place like say Mumbai (where the preowned price is cheaper compared to Blore for the same specifications car) and then pay the re-registration charges in Blore. Not sure if this makes financial sense (ie cost of re registration + car cost in Mumbai is lesser than the preowned car cost in Blore)
That is a possibility that I have not considered as it involves too much hassle, and besides repayment of the exorbitant RTO life time tax, will be to original invoice value of the car and marginally decreases if car is more than 2 years old. Also the cost differential is more in the first place due to the high Karnataka road taxes.

In any case few of my friends who have relocated to Karnataka from other states tell me of the difficulties and costs involved in registration here and they have filed a petition in high court, asking for 'one nation , one tax', to be implemented throughout the nation. Case is being heard but it seems public solicitor representing govt., is absent most of the time and case gets postponed eternally.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2015 at 13:37. Reason: Typos
sumeet007 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sumeet,

To be frank I think 40k kms is a bit too much for buying a used German. I would say 20-25k kms done is the max to look at. With 40k kms done you never know how well its been driven and how it could affect future reliability.

Also finding a good deal could take months if you're not too lucky.

Between the two listed, the Q5 will be more comfortable while the X3 is much better to drive and has more space inside.

If you are keen on the 30d model (which is completely worth it) then it will take even longer to find one and you will have to look at other states.

Even on a new X3 you can manage 5-6 lacs off easily. Not to mention this is the month to buy a new car. I suggest you see what discounts they are willing to give you on a new car.

Lastly, if the X3 you mentioned earlier has been seen by you and is in good condition then its worth considering. But only if the price is lowered by a few lacs and the full service history is available.

Also do note - A pre owned German is going to be much heavier on the pocket than your Camry in terms of maintenance. If no service pack is there then each service will cost a minimum of 30-35k.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW X3 or Q5, the dilemma

Quote:
... 800, ... Honda city ... Camry..
You are using Q5/X3 in the same sentence with those 'reliability-legends' I am not saying no to used Q5/X3 but be realistic with your expectations. Also Bangalore is no match to Mumbai/Delhi when it comes to getting servicing done outside A.S.S.

I see very few X3s but plenty of Q5s in Bangalore.

Q5: neutral, comfortable, rides better in city slow traffic, cheaper
X3: great to drive (steering feel, handling, transmission, braking)

You should test drive and decide.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2015 at 13:38. Reason: Typo
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:43   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

45 lakhs is too much money for 4-cylinder cars with 40,000+ kms on the clock. I personally wouldn't buy any of the examples you've listed.

Why not something like this or this? Both are 6-cylinders and 2014-15 models. Bargain hard and you should be able to close at 50 lakhs, if not a little lower.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
45 lakhs is too much money for 4-cylinder cars with 40,000+ kms on the clock. I personally wouldn't buy any of the examples you've listed.

Why not something like this or this? Both are 6-cylinders and 2014-15 models. Bargain hard and you should be able to close at 50 lakhs, if not a little lower.
Thanks for the useful inputs.

Although the X3 30d, looked fabulous with the dealer, I have not test driven it.
But it seems to be in top notch condition for my untrained eyes.

I, too was only concerned with the 45K mileage, which seems to be the only downer.

Regarding the two leads you mentioned, I interacted with the ML owner as the same car had been advertised in another site for mere 50L.

For a nearly brand new car, less than a year old, it is a difficult to believe price drop of nearly 50%, and besides that the guy said car was in Delhi, so that is pretty much ruled out.

The second car, the X3 30d, looks good, low mileage, less than a year old, but quoted price, perilously close to new with discounts (X20d version). I will call and check this one out, and see how much it can be brought down.
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the useful inputs.

Although the X3 30d, looked fabulous with the dealer, I have not test driven it.
But it seems to be in top notch condition for my untrained eyes.

I, too was only concerned with the 45K mileage, which seems to be the only downer.
Test drive it. Don't rule it out without. Check for rattles and squeeks, see if the suspension feels tight. Check the service records for how often it was serviced - Remember BMW service intervals aren't fixed, and depend on how the vehicle is driven.

Also the high mileage gives you bargaining power if the car has really been kept well.

45k kms is actually nothing for these cars, its just the Indian conditions and drivers which are bad. If taken care off this too will easily run lacs of kms.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks