Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2016, 14:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

My pick among the two will definitely be the petrol 3 series. I don't know why BMW decided to take the CBU route for the 320i instead of building the 328i in its Chennai plant. They could have priced the CKD 328i same as the CBU 320i and that would be an attractive proposition. I know a lot of guys who are just so desperate for that machine!

Go for the X1 only if your needs really demand a crossover. Like really bad roads or luggage carrying capacity or the need to travel 4 up or 5 up very often etc... The FWD X1 (even the X drive is FWD 80% of the time) will be nowhere as much fun to drive as the 3 series. The LCI refresh on the 3 was done very recently so it won't look dated for some time atleast and the 3 series anyway is a looker and will remain so. The discounts available only make the case stronger for the sedan.

I was in a similar boat last year trying to replace my Laura TSI. Only difference being my contenders were 530d and X3. I ended up picking the X3 30d as the 5 had certain deal breakers for my needs. Otherwise I would have picked up the 5 eyes closed.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th June 2016 at 14:39.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 21:10   #17
BHPian

Just went and took the test drive once again of the X1 today and to my surprise this time i did not like the SUV . It did not give me the feeling of driving a Bimmer(i don't know how i failed to notice this on my first drive) , even the build quality of the car was not as good as i would expect it to be . Having said that, i was really amazed by the amount of the interior space the car has to offer ,3 series in comparison looks way too small from inside , even my laura seems more spacious than 3 series , is it only me or is 3 series really cramped from inside ?

However , after test driving it today and reading all your reviews ,i am now thinking of choosing either between 320i or 320d . I have always heard and read in this forum also that germans are not known for their petrol engines and one should always stay away from it . It could be due to this reason that the 3 Series petrol is not moving off the showrooms .

Since my running is also on the higher side(20-24k anually) , i think diesel makes more sense to me . Also does it really make a big difference whether the car is CKD or CBU , at the end of the day its a bimmer and a 3 series or am i missing something ?
Old 11th June 2016, 22:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post
Just went and took the test drive once again of the X1 today and to my surprise this time i did not like the SUV . It did not give me the feeling of driving a Bimmer(i don't know how i failed to notice this on my first drive) , even the build quality of the car was not as good as i would expect it to be . Having said that, i was really amazed by the amount of the interior space the car has to offer ,3 series in comparison looks way too small from inside , even my laura seems more spacious than 3 series , is it only me or is 3 series really cramped from inside ?

However , after test driving it today and reading all your reviews ,i am now thinking of choosing either between 320i or 320d . I have always heard and read in this forum also that germans are not known for their petrol engines and one should always stay away from it . It could be due to this reason that the 3 Series petrol is not moving off the showrooms .

Since my running is also on the higher side(20-24k anually) , i think diesel makes more sense to me . Also does it really make a big difference whether the car is CKD or CBU , at the end of the day its a bimmer and a 3 series or am i missing something ?

I have sat in the new X1 and driven it for 2-3 kms and I have to admit as soon I sat in the drivers seat I did not like the interior plastic. Loved the look of the interiors however (better than the 3). On the driving part, loved the size and ease but I felt a lot of stuttering at quite low RPMs (it was very obvious to me, probably something to do with the AISIN transmission trying to find the gear). I also think if you compare the rear seats of both the cars you will find the seats in the X1 much smaller and way poorer thigh support than the 3, hence the X1 has a lot of legroom. Mind you X1 felt a great car as well but I'd rather pick that up probably in December when they start giving some discounts to make it more worth while.

On the topic of the 320d vs 320i, are you getting the same discounts on both of them? If so go for the 320d, the 320i prestige misses out on bluetooth which I am guessing would be important when you drive 20-25K a year. If not get the 320i without worrying much. The build quality of a CKD and CBU does make a difference, I have one of each in my garage and it easily noticable.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 23:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I have sat in the new X1 and driven it for 2-3 kms and I have to admit as soon I sat in the drivers seat I did not like the interior plastic. Loved the look of the interiors however (better than the 3). On the driving part, loved the size and ease but I felt a lot of stuttering at quite low RPMs (it was very obvious to me, probably something to do with the AISIN transmission trying to find the gear).
Hi , would like to ask you that while driving didn't you feel the car was missing that solid/heavyness factor which you get when driving a German sedan/SUV . Today i somehow didn't get that feeling of solidity which i get when driving my laura . To me it seemed more like a Japanese car than a solid German car .

Quote:
I'd rather pick that up probably in December when they start giving some discounts to make it more worth while.
I too wanted to do the same but apart from the issue i am facing with my laura ,the major issue why i want to purchase the(diesel) car asap is because i am quite sure that once the supreme court re-opens next month , they would come out and impose a heavy additional cess/tax on diesels(which they have indicated few times in the last 6 months) ,so you might end up paying more even after getting discounts from the dealership . Its hard to trust our judiciary now ,specially on this subject .

Quote:
On the topic of the 320d vs 320i, are you getting the same discounts on both of them? If so go for the 320d, the 320i prestige misses out on bluetooth which I am guessing would be important when you drive 20-25K a year. If not get the 320i without worrying much. The build quality of a CKD and CBU does make a difference, I have one of each in my garage and it easily noticable.
I am yet to discuss on the discount regarding the 320d , could someone please confirm the kinda discounts we are getting on the 320d now days ...
Are you sure that a 3 series CKD would have a inferior build quality than that of a CBU .

Last edited by ampere : 12th June 2016 at 09:13. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 12th June 2016, 19:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hi , would like to ask you that while driving didn't you feel the car was missing that solid/heavyness factor which you get when driving a German sedan/SUV . Today i somehow didn't get that feeling of solidity which i get when driving my laura . To me it seemed more like a Japanese car than a solid German car .

I am yet to discuss on the discount regarding the 320d , could someone please confirm the kinda discounts we are getting on the 320d now days ...
Are you sure that a 3 series CKD would have a inferior build quality than that of a CBU .
I can't be sure on the first part but the car maybe felt a bit lighter than maybe the 3 I drove.

On the part of CKD vs CBU, I do think there is a small difference between the two. It wouldn't be the quality maybe the workmanship but the CBU seems a bit better to me. However the difference it hardly noticeable to be honest.

I think a lot of people prefer a petrol sedan and I don't think it is a bad engine at all ! You should go for the 320i if the discounts have a substantial gap.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 07:18   #21
BHPian

Does anyone know the discounts offered on 320i luxury line?
Old 15th June 2016, 01:04   #22
BHPian

Hey guys , after one more round of test drive , i booked the 320d yesterday . Have submitted the papers for the loan approval, should get the delivery once the loan is approved .
Could any current owner of 3 series please guide me as to what are the things to watch out for starting from the paper work till delivery .

Many thanks .
Old 15th June 2016, 07:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys , after one more round of test drive , i booked the 320d yesterday .

Congrats on booking. I'm sure you will love the diesel Beemer. Btw how much discount you managed finally?
vishaltanksale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 09:32   #24
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a great choice. Congratulations for the 320d !

A very close friend of mine from Delhi was in a similar dilemma till last month. He went on test driving both the cars and couldn't finalise one. Out of utter confusion, he booked both the 320d and the new X1 S-Line from Bird Automotive, Gurgaon. His 320d got delivered last week and the new X1 is about to be delivered next week. He is very happy with the decision.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 20:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys , after one more round of test drive , i booked the 320d yesterday . Have submitted the papers for the loan approval, should get the delivery once the loan is approved .
Could any current owner of 3 series please guide me as to what are the things to watch out for starting from the paper work till delivery .

Many thanks .
Congratulations ddndrive.

Could you please elaborate on the test drive of the 320i vis a vis the 320d.
What were the major differences in the driving aspect. Also, did you notice any major difference in the quality of the Indian made 320d versus the CBU 320i.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2016, 23:07   #26
BHPian

Thanks guys !!! I went with my head and heart both ... I test drove x1 5 times in last 6 days(3 different cars with min. 15 kms test each time) before making my final decision and according to me(i may be wrong) overall as a product the Fortuners and New Endeavours are way better(although not direct competitors) than x1 .

Below are the major reasons acted as a deal breaker for me (x1)

1) Poor steering feel
2) Bumpy/harsh Ride
3) Road Noise(very high ,the moment you drive past 90-100 kmph ,you could hear that loud and clear
4) Plastic quality not as per BMW standards
5) Poor thigh support(rear seats)

I would have loved to purchase X1 due to its perfect city size and looks/new design but as a BMW product costing Rs. 35 Lac, i expected more from them and i personally feel(i may be wrong) that BMW has gone wrong this time and have done huge cost-cutting in this small SUV . After driving it , you wont feel this is a product of BMW . I found Q3 overall a better product .
ddndrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 23:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Many thanks .
Congrats on your booking! What color have you chosen? Have you taken BSI plan also? Hope you write a detailed review on your experience of everything from deciding, buying and first few hundred kilometers with your bmw.

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 16th June 2016 at 00:02. Reason: To add some more information
Old 17th June 2016, 00:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Congrats on your booking! What color have you chosen? Have you taken BSI plan also?
Thanks Fstlndrive ... Nope i have not yet opted for the BSI , although i would be going for a 6 year warranty in few days time after the delivery . Is BSI really worth the money spent as it is quite costly ...
Old 17th June 2016, 09:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Many thanks .
Congrats on the booking! Hope you have tonnes of fun filled miles.
Can you please let us know what did it finally costed you on road?
I am debating between this and the new X1, just as you were and no matter how much I try I can't seem to convince my wife for the 320d over the X1.
Thanks a lot.
nanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 20:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Have you taken delivery of your car? Please write your overall experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks