Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2016, 22:51   #16
BHPian

Re: 1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?

I would recommend Go for the Japanese and the Get the New Land Cruiser 200, Amazing Road Presence, No Frills, Will Never Die no Matter what.
Old 16th August 2016, 00:36   #17
VSD
BHPian

1cr budget, Ha!! It's the most confusing place to be in, isn't it? I was in the same place while picking a car for me last year. Most sports cars today have crossed the budget and most full size luxury SUV's too are now over 1.2cr mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
If the Mustang and GLE 450 were available, I'd have bought one without doubt.

Thanks,

Hammer
From the cars listed in your list, these two are the ones that can fit your budget and still be fun, unique and usable anywhere. Mustang isn't going to be easy to source and you'll end up paying premium over sticker price. Last I heard they were going at least 5L over sticker (so, not worth it IMO). On the other hand the GLE450 is an amazing car and has best of both worlds while still being able to go anywhere on our roads. The engine is perfect for it's size and has good sound too (pops & crackles are amazing). Just try for the GLE450 with other dealers around the country and you might be able to get your hands on one for sure.

You can also try and check for the M4/M3 if BMW has some cars for good discounts. The GLS is a very good option, it's fresh right now and they wouldn't lose too much value in next 3 years.

Also, isn't the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT coming soon, anyone have any info on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post

I will add the following to the list.

1- Jaguar F type

2- Mercedes G Wagon.

3 - Range Rover Sport.
Again among the 3 listed above, its only the Jaguar F type which is strictly within your budget.
The cars you have mentioned here are all over the budget specially the SUV's. RR sport is 1.5cr starting point and the G-wagon is like 2.3 almost. The F-type though is a great option but I feel the interior quality is no where compared to the German rivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Might I suggest the Audi A7 3.0 TDI. It looks like nothing else on the road and honestly can hold its own against coupes twice its price.
Discontinued since 3 years now and I don't think the Audi is planning to get the new one here anytime soon.

VSD
VSD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 04:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post

Discontinued since 3 years now and I don't think the Audi is planning to get the new one here anytime soon.

VSD
Sad! You are right! There is no A7 in Audi's Indian website. Wonder what happened? There are tons more a7s than cls or 6 series grancoupes on the road. I thought it was a sure success.

But it was always sold as a CBU right? So can't one simply go to Audi and tell them to import one?
Old 16th August 2016, 11:53   #19
BHPian

Since you are looking at keeping the car for only 3 years, I would suggest in getting a good second hand Audi RS7 (or a new one of the budget permits). Its got good space, its insanely fast, looks are a killer. Truly one of the most everyday usable sports cars.

You can also look at the X6 4.0d, practical and looks good.

The other option being Porche Panamera.

Happy Shopping

Last edited by xtremeshock : 16th August 2016 at 11:58.
Old 16th August 2016, 12:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering - is the Porsche Macan in your budget? If so, how come you aren't considering that option?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looking at your requirements & budget, I'd suggest waiting for the Jaguar F-Pace. If you look at Viddy's review (link), the main disadvantages are the price (not a problem for you), 2.0L diesel (3.0 will be offered in India) and the awful after-sales (something you'll have to bear).

But the styling, V6 diesel and on-road behaviour make it a compelling choice.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2016 at 14:18. Reason: F-Type --> F-Pace
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:13   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looking at your requirements & budget, I'd suggest waiting for the Jaguar F-Type. If you look at Viddy's review (link), the main disadvantages are the price (not a problem for you), 2.0L diesel (3.0 will be offered in India) and the awful after-sales (something you'll have to bear).

But the styling, V6 diesel and on-road behaviour make it a compelling choice.
While the F-Pace suggested by GTO is a good option.

I think what your garage really needs is a marque lux sedan to lead the pack and complete it. Instead of getting rid of the A-class, I would suggest you retain it and get rid of either your X5 or 530d. Use that additional budget at get yourself a S350d or 730Ld, yes it will be stretching your budget but trust me they are leagues ahead of any of the options listed here.

I strongly believe in having few but nicer cars. If your father and you are the only ones using these cars then keeping 2 or max 3 cars would be ideal. The X5 or 530d, S or 7 and A-class for running local errands.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I'd say get the Mustang.
Asked around for the Mustang, the ford dealers and Sales rep seem to have too much attitude. Even while looking at the endeavour, the arrogance put us off and once again, its looking increasingly unlikely a ford will grace our garage due to the SR's attitude. However, one such SR did seem mannered and genuinely interested in selling the stang, he mentioned its an absolute must for him to have the car registered in the mumbai thane region only. So that rules it out for me as I'm not from the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
try the new X5.

Another option can be GLE - Coupe.

You may also consider some low mileage pre-owned car's in which case you can look 2-3 segment higher cars but I will suggest you to stay with main brands BMW/ Merc/ Audi for relative trouble free ownership. There are few M cars with Mumbai Dealership, completely loaded at competitive prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Having driven the GLE450 AMG for a long enough time, I would recommend it to you. .
Thanks for the suggestion turbanator and amansanc, having driven the new X5, i don't seem to keen on replacing my current one just yet for the new gen unless its an M. I do plan to sell my X5, but not until next year or so. GLE coupe, asked everywhere possible, the car just isn't available. Least i was told to wait was 2 months after giving full payment, which i don't seem to keen on doing.

Honestly, spending 1cr for a second hand car doesn't seem right by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
I would recommend Go for the Japanese and the Get the New Land Cruiser 200, Amazing Road Presence, No Frills, Will Never Die no Matter what.
Already owned the LC's, dad doesn't seem to keen on getting it again and personally, the car just seems too huge and bulky for my liking. Thanks for the suggestion though

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
1cr budget, Ha!! It's the most confusing place to be in, isn't it? I was in the same place while picking a car for me last year. Most sports cars today have crossed the budget and most full size luxury SUV's too are now over 1.2cr mark.

From the cars listed in your list, these two are the ones that can fit your budget and still be fun, unique and usable anywhere. Mustang isn't going to be easy to source and you'll end up paying premium over sticker price. Last I heard they were going at least 5L over sticker (so, not worth it IMO). On the other hand the GLE450 is an amazing car and has best of both worlds while still being able to go anywhere on our roads. The engine is perfect for it's size and has good sound too (pops & crackles are amazing). Just try for the GLE450 with other dealers around the country and you might be able to get your hands on one for sure.

You can also try and check for the M4/M3 if BMW has some cars for good discounts. The GLS is a very good option, it's fresh right now and they wouldn't lose too much value in next 3 years.

Also, isn't the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT coming soon, anyone have any info on this one?

VSD
I know right, the 1 cr budget doesn't look as easy as it seems. All the cars that should be within the 1cr have easily gone to 1.2-1.6 cr over the past 3 years which is absurd. There was a time when the f10 M5 was for 90 lakhs.
In Mumbai the mustang is coming at 85lakhs OTR after 67 showroom price. Mumbai prices are off the hook.
As for the GLE450 AMG, I do not think I'm going to own it anymore. Asked everywhere today, no go. I am looking at the M3 and M4 now, will ask around tomorrow.
And the Jeep is due 1st Sept, unless they delay it another 3 years again. But having driven the Grand Cherokee, its easily 5 years behind its time in terms of interior quality. My E70 is the pre LCI model and it feels more modern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
I would suggest in getting a good second hand Audi RS7 (or a new one of the budget permits).
You can also look at the X6 4.0d, practical and looks good.
The other option being Porche Panamera.
Happy Shopping
Though the RS7 is the best looking sedan in my opinion, a second hand car just doesn't get my motor running. New one is nearly 1.60 OTR, for 1.60 imma get an imported 750li.
X6 also is out of budget and i already owned the first gen x6 launched in India so not too keen anymore. Perhaps the X6M one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Just wondering - is the Porsche Macan in your budget? If so, how come you aren't considering that option?
It comes at 1cr to 1.10cr showroom price. I do love the Macan, having built my own on the website, i crossed way into the 1.5cr territory and the least i could cut down to was 1.4. So for that price i might just get another Makkan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looking at your requirements & budget, I'd suggest waiting for the Jaguar F-Pace. .
I might just consider waiting on the F-pace after all. But I'm not too sure i wanna buy the F pace fresh off the block. Being a Jaguar in india, id say the best bet is to wait a few months and see what owners say. I don't wish to spend 1cr and then have the car be at their garage than my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
While the F-Pace suggested by GTO is a good option.

I think what your garage really needs is a marque lux sedan to lead the pack and complete it. Instead of getting rid of the A-class, I would suggest you retain it and get rid of either your X5 or 530d. Use that additional budget at get yourself a S350d or 730Ld, yes it will be stretching your budget but trust me they are leagues ahead of any of the options listed here.

I strongly believe in having few but nicer cars. If your father and you are the only ones using these cars then keeping 2 or max 3 cars would be ideal. The X5 or 530d, S or 7 and A-class for running local errands.
I should have mentioned, the A class and X5 are each 3 years old. The 530d is only 2 months old. In 3 years, the A class has driven barely 10,000 kms only. I think the odometer is at 9600 to be honest. I only drive it when I'm in the country and thats barely 2 months a year. So its best sold, even the X5 has clocked only 30,000 in these 3 years. Besides the chauffeured cars, theres very little driving amongst us. The thing about the 7 and the S, I'm a sucker for bigger engines and i never see myself buying the 730 or S350. It has to be 750 or the S500. So thanks for the suggestion Sahil, but the A class has got to go now. Also, CLS is not an option due to the diesel 2 litre pot.

The options at the moment are down to an older manufactured date M3 or M4 or wait for the XF and F-pace. I am getting a test drive C63 for a lowered price, I wanted your input on this everyone. I do understand test drive vehicles are driven roughly, is it best to stay away from the lot? I'm just in a real pickle here. At this rate I feel I'm going to sell the A class and settle for driving a Nano.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 16th August 2016 at 19:56.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:07   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It comes at 1cr to 1.10cr showroom price. I do love the Macan, having built my own on the website
If you are ok with owning Porsche, do check Platinum edition Cayenne. I have enclosed one spec sheet of this variant. It is loaded quite well and also there is a 4 cylinder Macan being available for deliveries shortly. But it's a small car and Cayenne does appear more VFM, worth considering unless you have already owned one before Also factor, if you are ok travelling to Delhi or Ahmedabad for maintenance & the new Cayenne, should be here by early next year.

Quote:
I am getting a test drive C63 for a lowered price
Is this a Test Drive Car or one from MB India fleet? I don't think your dealer in Indore will have one for test drives but if it's the case then do share some more details. Satellite dealership will have few customers for such cars & with limited test drives, maybe the owner has got one at cheaper rates from MB and is using personally. However, if it's from Delhi dealership or MB owned, this might have been driven on performance drives on test tracks. I personally will keep away from such cars which have not being run in properly.

Coming back to my earlier suggestion, have you actually driven the new X5 ? I am recommending you this from my own experience having owned older X5 as well X6 which I still have. This newer feels much faster and with a small investment on a chip you can easily bump the power. Though I am still awaiting clarity on this as BMW India was supposed to re-launch their performance accessories in August but dealers still don't have a clue.
Attached Thumbnails
1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?-screen-shot-20160816-7.52.44-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th August 2016 at 20:22.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 20:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
If you are ok with owning Porsche, do check Platinum edition Cayenne.
======
Though I am still awaiting clarity on this as BMW India was supposed to re-launch their performance accessories in August but dealers still don't have a clue.

Very true about the dealers, its funny how at times or most of the times with me the customer seems to know more about their cars and accessories than the salesman does. All the salesman seem interested in is selling their car and docking their bonus. I don't think the Cayenne is a good option. Feels too dated now for my liking. Plus where I'm planning on purchasing the car, nearest service centre is 500kms away.

The C63 is from Pune, Indore barely has an AMG on the road let alone for displays. The SR specifically said its for test drives, though i get the feel its been reviewed by every journalist since he said its in blue, and looking at all the websites for cars in the country, that car has been abused to say the least.

And yes, i have driven the new X5 it did not seem all too special, though i only drove it off road so that did not clear it well. I did however think of replacing my X5 with the new one, i was losing money over it so decided to leave it.
Old 18th August 2016, 12:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Besides these, I have considered the GLE 450 AMG and Ford Mustang, though I've been told they are sold out for this year so that rules it out. Only proper SUV's that are left for consideration are GLS 350d, XC90 and the Q7.
If you are looking at the GLS, you can also take a look at the older GL. There are some massive discounts on it. There are 5-6 2016 cars from the end of production still at the MB stockyard. Will come under your budget and is almost identical to the new GLS.
Old 13th April 2017, 18:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:

This newer feels much faster and with a small investment on a chip you can easily bump the power.
Could you please elaborate this about the new X5?
Old 13th April 2017, 19:02   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could you please elaborate this about the new X5?
I won't recommend after my recent experience. It threw an error and I have now removed that. It appears the reviews on forums are not very true.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 10:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I won't recommend after my recent experience. It threw an error and I have now removed that. It appears the reviews on forums are not very true.
Sorry for being OT, but what was the error? I was actually considering getting one for my X3 30d. I was researching it and hardly found any negative reviews. Did the error just go away after disconnecting or did you have to take BMW service's help for getting it sorted out?
Old 21st April 2017, 15:44   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but what was the error?
It was something relating to loss of Rail pressure. They did not give me print due to policy, but I saw. It had KM reading when this started. I have got this bypassed at the moment and will take it completely off. They had reset the fault codes and Car is running fine. Don't know why but I am not able to make any difference now i.e after removal of chip vs when it was there.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks