Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 20:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post

One car that I would like to add to the list is the BMW 330i. Its a proper V6 Petrol from BMW and available at under 10L. Perhaps the Beemer will be my first used car acquisition
The BMW 330i was an in-line 6 petrol and IIRC was one of the lightest production 6-cylinder engines in the world. I was also looking for one, but it sold in very few numbers and hence the possibility of finding one is very less.
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 06:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I have been thinking of buying a used 2 Door Sports Car.
This may appear too optimistic a suggestion, but if you are willing to wait a bit and also to enter some uncharted waters, the TAMO Racemo can be a very good buy for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-page-3-a.html

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...08032017023040
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 11:44   #18
BHPian

I bought a 1990 Mazda Miata (MX5) since I wanted one. I spent over my purchase price on refurbishing it and getting it to the level I wanted. And now I am fitting a turbo in it so some more money down! Let me say working with a 20 year old car is not for the faint hearted. Fortunately the miata is such a cult car there are plenty of spares and websites catering to mods, however it does not make financial sense at all.
Only go down that road if you have the passion for it.
san9jay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:25   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One car that I would like to add to the list is the BMW 330i.

So a modded Civic, Laura TSI or 330i might actually be mine in the near future
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The BMW 330i was an in-line 6 petrol and IIRC was one of the lightest production 6-cylinder engines in the world. I was also looking for one
The 330i is nasty.

- Jeep-like heavy steering in the city
- Absolutely dead below 3,000 rpm
- Bone-jarring ride quality

Unless I'm driving on the Autobahn every day, give me a modded Civic, modded Laura 1.8 TSI or modded Accord V6 over the 330i any day, any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
Let me say working with a 20 year old car is not for the faint hearted.
Tell me about it. My Jeep just turned 20 . Plus, I'm okay with owning my own car for 20 years, but no way in hell am I buying someone else's 20-year old car.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
This may appear too optimistic a suggestion, but if you are willing to wait a bit and also to enter some uncharted waters, the TAMO Racemo can be a very good buy for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-page-3-a.html

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...08032017023040
Seems like a good option but its going to take a lot of time. Lets see if it becomes available when i'm able to stretch my budget to actually buy a proper sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 330i is nasty.

- Jeep-like heavy steering in the city
- Absolutely dead below 3,000 rpm
- Bone-jarring ride quality

Unless I'm driving on the Autobahn every day, give me a modded Civic, modded Laura 1.8 TSI or modded Accord V6 over the 330i any day, any time.
I didn't know about this side of the 330i
But will definitely TD it once when I go out looking to buy one of these cars. The Civic is definitely second on my list if not the 330i
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 16:16   #21
BHPian

Great to see more miatas being restored. Best of luck with your project. I am on the look out for a miata. Any leads would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
I bought a 1990 Mazda Miata (MX5) since I wanted one. I spent over my purchase price on refurbishing it and getting it to the level I wanted. And now I am fitting a turbo in it so some more money down! Let me say working with a 20 year old car is not for the faint hearted. Fortunately the miata is such a cult car there are plenty of spares and websites catering to mods, however it does not make financial sense at all.
Only go down that road if you have the passion for it.
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 16:32   #22
BHPian

Not too many miatas available. Will let you know if any come to my notice. In the meantime my baby now puts out 240bhp and took third place in its first running at the drag championship..
san9jay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:09   #23
BHPian

For a budget of around 20 lakhs can anyone suggest which pre owned sports car one can buy ? It must be a 2 door hard top 4 seater petrol manual, possible to maintain in Mumbai. I am a stickler for reliability and low maintainece. Top speed need not be that high but mind blowing acceleration and good driving dynamics along with decent ground clearance is a must.
Old 17th September 2020, 17:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
For a budget of around 20 lakhs can anyone suggest which pre owned sports car one can buy ? It must be a 2 door hard top 4 seater petrol manual, possible to maintain in Mumbai. I am a stickler for reliability and low maintainece. Top speed need not be that high but mind blowing acceleration and good driving dynamics along with decent ground clearance is a must.
For sports cars there's a well known equation. Fast,cheap and reliable choose any two. Your criteria seems to be extremely restricted and there won't be many options under 20L. If you're able to stretch your budget and relax the requirement for a usable 4 seater you may find a good 2009 or later Porsche Cayman. Do note, it won't be cheap to maintain and ground clearance like all sports cars would be low.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:34   #25
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amongst two-door four-seater option, you would possibly get a Bangle-era E63 BMW 650i Coupe / Soft-Top Convertible or a BMW 330d Hard-Top Convertible in your budget. Other possibility is the C207 Mercedes Benz E350 Coupe.

None of this would offer mind-blowing acceleration but they do offer more than adequate thrill, specially the E63 BMW.

Last edited by //M : 17th September 2020 at 17:37.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately we never had a big enough market for such a tastily specced car to be sourced easily 2 door 4 seater coupes were mostly if not wholly all sold with automatic gearboxes.

I would look into used Mitsubishi 3000GTs, Honda S2000s or maybe even a Mazda RX8. All of these cars are difficult to come by due to their rarity and will require time and passion to maintain. If you're really lucky you might be able to snag a deal on one of the few Evolution X lancers in our country.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th September 2020 at 19:36.
Old 17th September 2020, 20:50   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the response guys. This might sound a bit silly.. but if we convert a 4 door to a 2 door does it require permission from the rto.
It has always been my dream to have a 2 door car. Sedan / coupe whatever. And as many of you have said one option is to get a mod friendly car.
If it’s not that tough I would prefer getting a mod friendly 4 door anyway. After all most of our fav cars are from the modded gang ( fast and furious , hyperdrive etc )
Old 17th September 2020, 22:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I can think of the following 2-door options sold in our market: Polo GTI, Mini cooper, Audi A3, TT, 2-door C and E coupe, BMW 3 and 6 series without getting into the more expensive models. Not including Thar, Gypsy etc in the list. You can check out the classifieds to get a sense of the prices for these cars - I am sure you can find something decent for 20L. IMO, none of these are meant for anyone who is keen on reliability and low maintenance.

Converting a 4-door into 2-door serves no purpose in my opinion. It will have no cool-factor and most likely the car will look "weird and wacky".
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks