Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 23:40   #1
BHPian

Replacement for my BMW 640d Gran Coupe?

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

I sold my 640d Gran Coupe. I need a nice set of wheels. I am considering a Mercedes GLC 43 AMG coupé, 2016 Jag F-Pace 3.0 V6 diesel First edition (new, unused), 2016 BMW M4 (new, unused) or any other in the range of 70L to 1.20Cr. on road.

I don't use this car much. Only about 5000 km a year and I plan to have it for about 3 to 4 years. I drive myself about 90%, except when I go partying.

I want, tech on the inside comfortable seats, performance and stand out in the crowd. I love BMWs but there are too many in the household that the interiors even on the 7 doesn't excite because of familiarity. Chennai has a few potholes, but I do drive up to Bangalore which is terrible and I have struggled with my 6 (which btw has decent grading clearance). These are some reasons I wanna not consider an M4! But then it's an M4! So I am confused.

I have considered a few cars:
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT V8 (won't hold value, but a deadly engine)
  • Porsche Macan Turbo (expensive, pricey options, sportiest SUV barring none)
  • Mustang GT (Too much money for a $35k car, cheap feel, but an icon and V8)
  • Range Rover Velar 250 HSE (not fast enough, 3.0D is expensive)
  • Jag XF 25t (overpriced for a 4 cyln)
  • Bmw 530D (best in class, we have too many BMs, my regular car is an X5)
  • Mini Cooper S JCW (Not comfortable to cruise, remember I am replacing my 6 series, not Golf GT)
  • Audi TT (Expensive for 4 cyl)Audi SQ7 (don't think it's coming to India, waited for a year now)
  • Even GLC 300 (it ain't 2nd class after all, save the ��; meh)
Based on the above list, I kind of thinking of the GLC coupe and F-Pace. I am confused as hell, can take your valuable inputs.

Thanks.

Last edited by ajmat : 1st September 2017 at 07:58.
316kmph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 01:35   #2
BHPian

re: Replacement for my BMW 640d Gran Coupe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Thank you in advance for your inputs.

in the range of 70L to 1.20Cr. on road.

I don't use this car much. Only about 5000 km a year and I plan to have it for about 3 to 4 years.

Based on the above list, I kind of thinking of the GLC coupe and F pace. I am confused as hell, can take your valuable inputs.

Thanks.
I've been in this price range before and let me tell you, it's a rather confusing spot to be in. But the best way I can break this down for you is this; cars under the crore mark and cars over the crore mark. There are quite a few options under this mark and quite a few over. You already said you have the X5 as a daily drive so I'll try refraining from suggesting proper SUV's.

Cars under would feature the 43 AMG range of Mercedes. All 5 are a hoot to drive. CLA, GLA, SLC, GLC coupe and the C. I'd prefer the GLC coupe cause it looks too good in my eyes.
Also, Macan's 2 litre petrol pot comes under 1 cr. The new macan should be out in 2018. So if you wanna wait, or can cash in on discounts.
Porsche's 718 also is an option. SLC and Z4 too. Though I think only a couple units of the Z4 are left. C300 and E400 too could be considered. Though I'm not too sure on the E convertibles availability since that model has been phased out.
After seeing and driving the mustang, I don't find it worth the asking price. Plus, its my understanding that chennai has a lot of Mustangs.

Cars over the crore mark would be the M3 and M4. The C63 AMG and f-type. These are the fun to drive cars but way over the 1.2 cr on road you are targeting.
S-class, 7 series, Panamera, XJ and A8 are perhaps the best options to have but not the best to drive. Choosing between these sedans is a complete personal choice.
Then there is f-pace. I've had the f-pace 3 litre and let me tell, it's nothing to write home about at that price. Comes around 1.4 on road which is double the 530d. Though I will admit, it's the best looking SUV in the market today. I have a poor opinion about velar so wouldn't recommend it at this price point. Most JLR cars are overpriced and reliability is a concern so wouldn't advise.

Out of all the cars I've suggested, if i were to pick a car I'd pick the GLC coupe and the M3. Though Much like you, I too have plenty of BMW's in my garage but then I have a special place in my heart for the M cars. So your call.

Cars under the crore mark
1) GLC 43
2) C43
3) 530d/Macan
4) Volvo S60 polestar
Late entry of the A5 could provide another headache as this car might just leave the rivals behind

Cars over the crore mark
1) M cars and the C63
2) 7/S/A8/XJ/Ghibli/Panamera
3) f-type
4) Lexus RX

Happy hunting

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 1st September 2017 at 01:41.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 03:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Considering the issues with our roads, especially in Bangalore, I think it's wise not to bother with another relatively low-slung car. If something special is what you're after then I can recommend nothing but the Porsche Macan. If you thought you loved BMWs, you will find yourself becoming a Porsche fanboy after owning one. Simply put; Porsche does everything right while still making you, the owner feel like it is a special thing. It doesn't get more technically masterful, practical and fantastic to drive at the same time.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 05:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I sold my 640d Gran Coupe. I need a nice set of wheels
But why will you sell such a nice car, I doubt you will able to get something close to the one you had ( if you had 2014 onwards) even BMW will/ has stopped producing.

Your demands and present cars are very close to mine, just that I don't go to parties so I can try to share my views

Quote:
I wanna not consider an M4! But then it's an M4! So I am confused.
there are some exceptional deals on M4 and M3 that BMW has in stocks and can be yours for less than 1 cr Ex-Showroom. But the problem is these are no longer the same M that used to be in past, makes fake sound inside and you will need to upgrade exhausts to get some attention if that's the purpose.

Quote:
I kind of thinking of the GLC coupe and F pace
GLC is not full AMG and will not excite you, won't give you the kick you are used to getting from 640-D / X5 besides its a small.

My suggestion will be to keep your 640, if not given to the new owner, or pay something extra and get it back And buy a Petrol Wrangler. It has a massive road presence and will get you a good visibility in your circle. It's cheap 55 or so ex-showroom and will hold nice both in terms of looks and value.

Even rapper Badshah owns one
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for my BMW 640d Gran Coupe?-1.jpeg  

Replacement for my BMW 640d Gran Coupe?-3.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st September 2017 at 05:51.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 11:31   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacement for my BMW 640d Gran Coupe?

Personally, I think you sold off your 640d too early. It is one heck of a car!

You should go for the best driving machine in your budget - the Porsche Cayman. It has a certain purity to the driving feel. Just the right power (not excessive), stunning looks & beautiful experience behind the wheel. Only downside is, I don't think the Cayman S has arrived here yet, but you can check with the dealer (it's a CBU anyway, so should be easy) - review.

You have other cars for when you need more doors or ground clearance. If not the Cayman, you'll be happiest with the M4. Another m-a-d car.

Quote:
2016 Jag F-Pace 3.0 V6 diesel First edition (new, unused)
Not a match to the 640d's engine or interior quality. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade. I didn't like its ride quality either - far from plush.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on the above list, I kind of thinking of the GLC coupe and F-Pace. I am confused as hell, can take your valuable inputs.

Thanks.
The A7/S7 and CLS are natural competitors to the 640d. Both are dramatic looking 4 door coupes.
Have you checked them out?
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 12:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The A7/S7 and CLS are natural competitors to the 640d. Both are dramatic looking 4 door coupes.
Have you checked them out?
RS7 could be worth a look, dead steering feedbck
CLS is on its way out, in India, it is mismatched with the 2.1 diesel engine though

As Rush mentioned, the Macan is worth considering. What is not so much a driver's car but a very satisfying buy might be the Volvo V90 Cross Country. You'll see more on this shortly.

When I spoke to folks in the local Audi showroom, they mentioned that the SQ7 might make it over.

What about the Panamera?

Last edited by ajmat : 1st September 2017 at 12:06.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 12:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Buddy,

Too many different options. I think you first need to figure whether you want a coupe, sedan, luxury sedan or suv. Each car has its plus points and negative points. And I doubt anyone here will be able to help you, since there is such a wide range of cars. Once you narrow it down a bit, then people can share their experiences or thoughts on the car.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, and want comfort. The Range Rover Velar is the one for you. It won't give you the speed thrills of your Bimmer but it will be practical and the looks are awesome! Also it can always be tuned to go quicker.
Akshay1234 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 13:34   #9
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
I want, tech on the inside comfortable seats, performance and stand out in the crowd.
For your requirement, I just have one word: PORSCHE
You can find good examples of old gen Cayman S for less than 75L, fully loaded cars mostly and find one with Porsche sports exhaust and you should be good to go.
Although there are few 911 Turbo S cars from 2014/2015 being quoted at 1.4CR which can be brought down further within your budget as well. I'd say try negotiating and getting one as these. It's the only car that offers 560 horses and can still be used daily in comfort and when you punch it, this thing is going to push you back into your seat like nothing else.

VSD
VSD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 15:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

C63S would be my pick. Slightly out of your budget but hopefully, you can find a discounted deal. I find the C43 AMG also a lot of fun.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

You'll love the GLC 43 for its awesome soundtrack and super comfy yet sporty front seats. On the other hand, the Jag's 3.0-litre's torque is something really addictive; having said that, the F-Pace 3.0 is really overpriced and the 2.0 feels quite dull in comparison. The Macan 2.0-litre petrol is also worth considering for its sportscar-like agility, however, my pick of the lot considering the fun, practicality (read: ground clearance and space), performance and looks, would be the GLC 43. It might not be a real AMG, so purists might be a bit disappointed, but it sure as hell is fun!
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

The 640 is a lovely car, it would be tough to replace. Out of the options you've given, I'd pick the Jag F Type any-day just because it's so gorgeous. And since you want a sports car that will be driven 5k km in a year.

The Mini isn't bad for long distance trips, I did one recently and it sits happily around the 120-130k mark in 6th. But if you have 1cr budget I'd say go for a 2 seater Sports car like the 718 or Jag F Type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Only downside is, I don't think the Cayman S has arrived here yet, but you can check with the dealer (it's a CBU anyway, so should be easy)[/url]
The Cayman S won't be coming to India, a friend who owns a 718 informed it Porsche has no plans to homologate or sell it here. The engine size increase puts it in a higher tax bracket so the price difference between S and 718 could be over 30 lakhs. Doesn't make sense. The 2lt Boxer engine 718 with PDK makes it hella quick. Can't be compared to other quick 2 litre cars like the TT or 330i it's in another league.
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:22   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Too many different options. I think you first need to figure whether you want a coupe, sedan, luxury sedan or suv.
It's normal for anyone with a good budget. Even a customer with 20 lakhs in his pocket cross-shops between a Tucson / Compass & the Elantra / Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
You can find good examples of old gen Cayman S for less than 75L, fully loaded cars mostly and find one with Porsche sports exhaust and you should be good to go.
Although there are few 911 Turbo S cars from 2014/2015 being quoted at 1.4CR
+1 . If you are open to pre-worshipped cars, the world is your playground. So many options. And it especially makes sense as the Cayman S isn't coming here (going by quickdraw's post).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 12:05   #14
BHPian

As GTO mentioned, you have other cars when you need higher ground clearance. If you can live with a supercar, why not consider an Audi R8, Porsche Cayman/Boxter.

My personal preference would be for a Macan Turbo/Jaguar F Pace R Sport/ V8 Range Rover if I needed the ground clearance (in that order)
Old 28th October 2017, 00:41   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Booked the Audi S5. Yes, it does feel a segment lower than my 6, for the lack of options - I have picked this one.
316kmph is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks