Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octane View Post

Thankyou very much for your inputs! I'll give it a try!
Please do guide me as to where to find these Z4s. Will definitely give Bird gurgaon a call!
You can visit the below showrooms priority wise:
1. Audi approved Gurgaon: The showroom is really great and you can find well maintained cars of all premium brand here for a bargain. Also they give one month warranty considering if the car turns out to be a lemon. Also they offer to give a warranty of 1 or 2 year on the car for some 1.5 lakhs.
2. Bmw pre owned showroom in faridabad. Never visited this showroom but heard good things about it.
3. Big boy toyz in Gurgaon. You might be able to find a good car here but be extra careful as they also have track driven cars which you should avoid.

Best regards,
German_clan
German_clan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 13:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Hey there 99Octane!

I read your criteria and I'm not sure if you're open to diesel or not. However, I think an Audi A5 Sportback with the diesel engine (35 TDI) going for 36.5 Lakhs in Kolkata is pretty good (that too in red) & a remap from a reputed tuner should do the job perfectly.
However, if you are not open to diesel, I would suggest acting on those Octavia VRS that BHPian Cityvic mentioned about ASAP as those things have immense capabilities (and also the fact this will be the last non-hybrid VRS's makes it even special. )

Here is the link to the Audi A5 - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=9&isP=false
Old 14th May 2020, 15:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
However, if you are not open to diesel, I would suggest acting on those Octavia VRS that BHPian Cityvic mentioned about ASAP as those things have immense capabilities (and also the fact this will be the last non-hybrid VRS's makes it even special. )
That's luckily incorrect :-). Skoda has already indicated that the Octavia 4 will also have 3 vRS variants - an electrified iV version (already showcased) and 2.0 TSI RS245 6S manual & 7DSG versions as well as diesel & 4x4 versions.

Refer the links below as well as the leaked picture:
https://www.motor1.com/news/399448/s...ngine-details/
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/...v-plugs-242bhp

Extract:
The Octavia vRS range will mirror that of the Golf ‘GT’ line-up, with the diesel version likely to be a 197bhp 2.0-litre TDI, and the pure-petrol Octavia vRS set to use the 2.0-litre TSI unit of the Golf GTI, with up to 242bhp possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG-vrs-variants.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 15:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
That's luckily incorrect :-).
Hi itwasntme! I was not aware of the information , thank you. This really makes me happy that Skoda is planning to launch a non-hybrid VRS and a MT too (now I cannot wait for the MKIV ones to reach our shores .

Thank you again!
Akashdeep
Old 14th May 2020, 16:01   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi itwasntme! I was not aware of the information , thank you. This really makes me happy that Skoda is planning to launch a non-hybrid VRS and a MT too (now I cannot wait for the MKIV ones to reach our shores .

Thank you again!
Akashdeep
Hold your horses (pun intended), Skoda India may get only the 2.0 TSI 7DSG one, and that too only in 2022. That is the indication due to the COVID-19 situation.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 23:00   #21
BHPian

I would suggest looking at the Audi TT as well. The post 2015 cars have a very nice interior & exterior styling. It's small, fast & fun. Also fits perfectly within your budget.
All the best!
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 23:42   #22
BHPian

Since you have practical 4 door cars in your garage I would recommend you go for coupe/convertible like a mini, bmw 330d convertible, ford mustang, maybe an old porsche boxster.

The gla/cla 45 are good cars to drive but have too many similarities to the non amg versions .
Old 21st May 2020, 01:05   #23
BHPian

If i've similar requirements like yours, i would consider Audi TT as well. For example: There is on yellow color 2017 model available in Bangalore. It looks sweet.

im sure it will be fast and bring exclusiveness, decent service as well.

Seller is quoting 44 but with given the uncertain economy, you might get it in your budget.
Sorry if i confuse you with one more option.
Old 28th May 2020, 20:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hi there,

Choosing amongst these three cars is definitely a nice problem to have.

The first thing you must consider is a car based on usage and requirements.

If it's intra-city hooning that you are after, the Cooper S wins hands down. There is simply no debate there. The steering is in a league of its own and the 2.0 turbo-4 banger is more than sufficient even for quick highway blasts. However, if you are looking to tune the car, stay away from the Mini. I have heard of instances where tuned Coopers had suffered serious engine damage, especially considering that the engine is very sensitive to fuel quality.

The GLA 45 is my next pick. Nothing like having an AMG in the garage even if it's the baby from the bunch.

You could consider the Skoda if you are looking to tune it to the hilt. Plenty of bolt on parts available for the platform and the aftermarket support for it is unparalleled in the context of the Indian auto-market.

Have fun choosing rhe right car for you, and drive safe!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 21:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Interesting, just relived my past year!

The Mini Cooper S - brings a smile to your face but suspension can be fragile and tyres hate potholes. Awesome car but not for our roads. Also be prepared for the odd electrical niggle. I got one sitting in a BMW showroom getting sorted for a pothole claim.

CLA45 - Helped a friend of mine get this. He is having a lot of fun with it but the ground clearance is pathetic. Strictly a highway car.

GLA45 - Maybe gawky but worth a look, most practical of the lot.

Octavia VRS is nice but a little anonymous.

If you stretch out - you could find a good Audi S5 - looks nice but a little numb to drive. The Ford Mustang is worth a look but you need to be in control when you are in "masth"
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 18:45   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octane View Post
Hello BHPians. As an outset I'd like to thank the mods for accepting my
I've been in a dilemma regarding the next car purchase we as a family would like to do. The car is to be used mainly by me and my elder brother for a few spirited runs in the city of Kolkata and won't be much of a daily driver but a night howler. I'd cover around 10k a year in it.

or a Mini Cooper S; convertible preferred but the coupe will do too.

2. Run <25,000 kms
3. Budget 25-35 lakhs depending on the car and kms covered (AMG around 30-35 max/VRS around 25/Mini 25-30)
4. Pan India availability can be considered
5. Stock cars
6. Single owner preferred

I'm counting on the experience of all the forum members to guide me!
I'm
Regards,
99octane
Well I was in a similar situation last November (2019). I had my venerable and dearly beloved 8 year old Yeti but had broken my foot and was wanting to move to a nice two seater hot hatch with AT. I dont need a big car with lots of space etc. While I loved the practicality and drive ability and everything in the Yeti, the drawback was the manual gearbox.

I therefore just wanted a fun AT daily driver which I can also take on driving holidays around which can manage reasonable luggage.

For my rough and tumble needs I have my old restored Gypsy.

So I just upped and bought a Mini Cooper S 3 door Turbo Petrol from a neighbour. I d been following the car for a while and had tested it and so on. It was 7+ years old. Well looked after. Low mileage. Single owner. Fair price.

I’d rented and driven a few Mini’s on holiday trips abroad and learned to live with its small ness in terms of luggage space - I found that a Mini Cooper S or a convertible works perfectly well for a one week road trip covering lots of places, for me, my wife and such luggage as we carry.

The Cooper S will always bring a huge grin to your face. It is absolutely fantastic as a road car. Delicious especially on the twisties. Addictive.

Another good friend of mine very recently offered my a 2006-2007 Model Boxster S in lovely condition at a very good price indeed.

Since he is a good friend I may just swap with him for a month or two and let him play with the Cooper while I play with the Boxster.

Contrary to what you may be thinking, I am not a super rich industrialist or person with inherited wealth or a new age startup king sort of chap. Just a regular bloke earning a salary but who loves cars and doesn’t mind a bit of spending on the car madness.

I would say, that India has come of age in terms of the fantastic used car options available. Anyone, even a normal person can actually afford a sports car like a Porsche or a hot hatch like a Cooper or a classic car like a Merc 123 or 124 something that takes the fancy.

Just be responsible with your spending and dont buy it if you have to take loans and all.

Yes, it is true that spares and servicing may be more expensive than the normal run of the mill cars, but find yourself a competent Private Independent Garage and you should not have a problem. For parts there is always BMW India whose prices aren’t necessarily bad. Else there is Dubai. Or sites in the US like Mini Mania and all.

Best of luck!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st June 2020 at 18:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:03   #27
BHPian

Mini Cooper would be my choice too, rather than get confused by a myriad of options. It is an Iconic design, has more power than one can use most times and is a reliable, not too complex BMW motor. Fun + practical. Plus it gives you the versatility of using a hatchback when you like on crowded Kolkata streets. From your handle I can see you already do own a sedan. A BMW M or a CLA would be repeating the same body shape. You'd anyways not do more than 2 passengers on an, M or CLA 90% of the time.

Aaand..if you have the budget for a used Z4 which I am guessing would be around 35 at least, why not go for a new Mini? That way you have a new car customised to your tastes, a colour of your choice and none of the shenanigans of a used car buy. You should be able to shop around for some real mouth watering deals during these times.

I would have suggested the used car route had it been Bombay or Delhi or Bangalore or Chennai in terms of good independent workshops to tend to service any major/minor faults on your used exotic, but this being Kolkata would suggest a brand new buy for peace of mind. I was in kolkata full time till 2014 when I had my Octavia RS, and a good competent independent work shop was still a unicorn then. Agreed you'd find some outfit or the other willing to do oil changes etc., but what about other major stuff? And what are your alternate options should one mechanic botch up? Give it a thought.

Plus no re registration hassles unlike vehicles bought out of state. Any issue, just head straight to the dealer and he should be able to sort you out with the standard service packages.

Last edited by octane1002 : 10th June 2020 at 13:24.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 00:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you stretch out - you could find a good Audi S5 - looks nice but a little numb to drive.
How is the overall car like? The v6 surely does lure me in!
Although the reliability department has me in splits because I have absolutely 0 idea about it..
Thanks a ton! This is surely a great suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
I would have suggested the used car route had it been Bombay or Delhi or Bangalore or Chennai in terms of good independent workshops to tend to service any major/minor faults on your used exotic, but this being Kolkata would suggest a brand new buy for peace of mind. I was in kolkata full time till 2014 when I had my Octavia RS, and a good competent independent work shop was still a unicorn then. Agreed you'd find some outfit or the other willing to do oil changes etc., but what about other major stuff? And what are your alternate options should one mechanic botch up? Give it a thought.
I've recently been told about Binani automobiles here in the city. Has anyone got their work done by them? Please advise and review!
I have a jetta which is flashing the turbo light and the engine light is on any idea on what that could be?

Also.. I've been active lately on my new Instagram page by the name ninety9octane. Please follow for updates!

Regards,
99octane

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks