Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you buy?
Mercedes GLC 27 16.77%
BMW X3 103 63.98%
Range Rover Evoque 21 13.04%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dilemma: Mercedes GLC vs BMW X3 vs Range Rover Evoque

Although I have voted for the X3 since it is an excellent all-rounder, you can include the Land Rover Discovery Sport Petrol in your short list as well if you are considering the Evoque. Both have similar prices and the Discovery Sport offers much more space than an Evoque.

But my personal choice would still be the X3!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:16   #17
BHPian

Voted for the X3 - for its looks, size and reliability.
The extra money you will pay for X3 will pay off in long run and when you sell it off.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Volvo is a good choice but doesn't quite have the same badge value of the BMW, Merc, Audi. Its somewhat important when shelling out big bucks Lexus NX actually is punching above its weight in India due to high CBU pricing, I believe. In US, it comes 15-20% cheaper than GLC/X3 but similarly priced
Apologies if this sounds harsh. Big bucks is merely a relative term. If you have 65 lakhs budget, then the question is what is your primary requirement?

If a good all-rounder is what you need, then Volvo xc60 do make a good case. It is surprisingly capable off road too.

If looks and badge are crucial, then amongst these, GLC looks best, especially from front.
WhiteKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:22   #19
BHPian

Voted for Others because while the Volvo brand might not have the snob value of the German 3, the vehicles look more opulent inside-out. They're also quite rare so really catches attention. The XC60 Inscription trim is fully loaded with features the X3 and GLC can only dream of, including front seat massage, air suspension, a 15 speaker Bowers & Wilkins setup and active driver assistance tech. The build quality is top notch and if you aren't looking for a corner carver, this is the one to get.

If you're a keen driver, then the X3 has no competition. Else, do drop by at Martial and give the XC60 a dekko.

P.S. Considering the V90 CC has been discontinued, you might be able to land some good discounts, if it's a body shape you're interested in. Looks absolutely stunning on the road.

Last edited by saur95 : 22nd December 2020 at 10:23. Reason: Typos
saur95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:32   #20
BHPian

BMW - any day. It looks Elegantly butch and a fun to drive. Merc is always heavy and you will get a feel that you are driving a car/suv of one segment below. I feel that the Snob value between Merc & BMW are more or less same. Another important thing to consider is your family's feeling when they sit in. clear favourite seem to be BMW. like the earlier posts, you can wait for March and financial year end deals. don't worry about 2% price hike. You will get that as discount in my opinion.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd December 2020 at 10:59.
BrakingBad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:30   #21
BHPian

Driving a Volvo myself, so can vouch for the snob and shock value it attracts, many of my friends have complemented for the exclusivity that the car brings and they crave that even after owning the BMW & Mercs. I drive a D4 S60 and the engine is just so refined and goes bonkers in the Sports mode, it turns from a family car to an enthusiast drive in just a mere left shift to the S mode. Let me put it this way, any of my friend who has driven my car is S mode has gone out the car smiling with disbelief.

Surprisingly having driven it for 5 years and 80000kms, the maintenance has been almost half of the German peers. Though the service centre will give you a feeler of a Toyota service centre and not a luxury brand, went with my friend for service of his C220 and we were treated like guests at a 5 Star but then i realized my friend paid for all of that when his service estimate arrived. I even thanked him for the most expensive coffee of my life :-D

From the sound of you article, what matters to you most is the prestige of owning a luxury vehicle rather than buying it for what its worth(pardon me if i am wrong). So for that very reason I would suggest you to buy the Merc over the BMW coz both will shell you the same utility, the extra 7 lakhs you can keep apart for the maintenance. Also, from what my friends tell me, you can leave a quote at the BMW station and that there is immense unbelievable scope of negotiation with them, bargain really hard and you will be surprised.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
M.Dua is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:31   #22
BHPian

Audi, BMW, Merc all have same badge value.

If needs something special at the same time very strong on SUV character, would suggest Evoque
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:30   #23
BHPian

This is my very first post on the forum so apologies in advance in case of any errors.

With volvo's plan of going 'all petrol and electric' in the next couple of years, will this adversely impact the already sparse part sourcing for it ? This will also tank the resale value if and when you plan to sell the vehicle.
senna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:32   #24

Thanks for this great post has helped me narrow down my choice as well. One suggestion finally whatever the poll says, buy whatever the wifey says! it gives you the peace of mind. The bimmer is an exceptional vehicle and as a driver you would love it. I am going to wait for march deals, hope something good comes up. It would have also given a clear picture on the Covid second wave affecting the businesses. Whatever is the call do keep the forum updated on offers that you get. Enjoy!
rmbhatia1108 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:39   #25

I have always preferred BMW over the other germans. I have extensively driven my BMW and have a AUDI and a Volvo in the house as well. Considering your original post , GLC would be best for you. It will offer you the brand, comfort and save you some bucks considering your current offers.
XC60 is great and they perhaps have the best quality interior amongst the 3 Germans. Do take it for a spin before you write that cheque!
skhattar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:58   #26

One more thing, X3 is not coming in M-sport variant. For me thats a deal breaker. I understand that its all cosmetic, but there are a lot of things.
1. MS bumpers (F & R)
2. MS Badging - All around
3. Anthracite black headliner
4. Aluminium front fascia and on doors. I am not a fan of wood finish.
5. Super comfortable extra wide seats.
6. Black front grill

There are more options but these are ones that came to my mind. For me, I would try to stay away from Luxury line, simply because its too much bling.
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:36   #27
BHPian

If space/body style is not an issue have you looked at the X4? It's def more expensive than the X3 but it has M-kits as standard and can be negotiated hard too. Worth checking out.

Def play the BMW dealers against each other. Deutsche Motors in Whitefield has been willing to undercut Navnit to get new customers. Go back and forth a few times and you never know how low they'll go.
showboat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:45   #28
BHPian

What it looks like from your post that your heart is on BMW. So buy it coz you will fall in love each time you and family will take it out on a spin. Those 7 lacs if negotiated hard and if you have time in hand will definitely become narrower. You can get a better deal if you patient enough to wait. Wait for early next year nd buy a 2020 model

GLC is excellent but whatever ticks your heart should be your first choice.

All the best with your buy.
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Voted for X3. I purchased mine (20d) around same time last year. X3 is already leading the poll and members have added their valuable insights too. I 'll not add further due to my ownership bias .

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
If space/body style is not an issue have you looked at the X4? ... can be negotiated hard too. Worth checking out. .
+1. When I was negotiating dealer was willing to offer more discount on X4 and almost match the X3 price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhattar View Post
One more thing, X3 is not coming in M-sport variant...
I think X3M was announced recently in India at about 1Cr ex showroom. It punches 473 horses under the hood.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 22:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you are a keen driver, pay the extra and get X3. You will figure this out in the first few minutes of a test drive. Thankfully X3 is also relatively reliable and popular so you don't have to risk a niche purchase.
]

That's not true imo. Here in Chandigarh I have never spotted a new x3 against countless no of GLCs.
Fun fact- I have seen more x4s than x3s.
Sumanyu17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks