Skoda Superb 23 8.30%
Toyota Camry Hybrid 43 15.52%
Other (please specify in your post) 2 0.72%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo S60 vs BMW 3-Series vs Mercedes C-Class vs others

I have voted for Camry and will put my money on it as and when time comes to upgrade from Seltos.
My heart wants BMW 3 series (most probably in limousine avatar), however, very small boot, and reliability (rather servicing issues) are a big no for me. May be when I have enough dough to keep a car just for fun then things might be different.
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:43   #17
BHPian

When I was in the market for a luxury sedan – after I test drove the 330i, my heart was set on this machine – didn’t even test drive any of the other options, let alone consider them.
330i wins hands down in most of the buckets, more so if you’re an enthusiast. When you press the accelerator in sports plus mode, no other car can match that in a long and wide price range. In terms of backspace comforts – it has improved significantly over the F30. If one were to spend 40-50L, really doubt if any of the other options make any sense.
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:43   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When the Camry is runner-up on a poll where it is surrounded by German cars - and on an enthusiast website - you know Toyota has done something right. Trust me guys, this car seriously punches above its weight. Has all the usual Camry advantages (reliability, comfort, durability) with some pleasant add-ons (fun to drive, luxury cabin, hybrid tech).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Have voted for the Camry, just because it gets top class comfort, space, good enough performance, reliability and excellent after sales combined into a single package. It is expensive but worth the money. The hybrid powertrain with ~200bhp combined and still getting an average of 20Kmpl is a feat nonetheless!

Only fly-in-the-ointment is the CVT gearbox but the positives just overshadow this single negative.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 22nd January 2021 at 18:53.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:54   #20
anb
BHPian

I have voted for 330i. It’s easily the best car available at that price, drives great and even comfort is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
reliability (rather servicing issues) are a big no for me. May be when I have enough dough to keep a car just for fun then things might be different.
I’ve a 3 series with me for more than 6 years. It doesn’t have any reliability issues. In fact, the 3 series is more reliable than Ford, Hyundai and VW vehicles I own.
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:58   #21
BHPian

I voted for the 3 series. My first choice without a doubt has to be the 3 series. I’m a F30 owner myself and the G20 is a proper upgrade. The performance levels of the 330i are on a whole another level when compared to the competition. Also, no other car drives like a beemer. So hands down my vote has to go for the 3 series.

My second choice would be the S60. Having a XC90 at home, I can very confidently vouch for Volvo’s excellent build quality. I personally feel Volvo’s cars are a sweet mix of BMW and Mercedes. You get Merc’s level of luxury and somewhat BMW’s level of performance with the added benefit of Volvo’s world leading safety features. If somebody’s in the market for an entry level luxury sedan, the S60 is a solid option.
pranavmichael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:23   #22
BHPian

Voted for the Jaguar.
Since none in our family are tall - and hence feel easy and at home in our Rapid - rear space is not that much an issue [if at all I get enough money to splurge on a 4/5 Million rupee car], and all the positives mentioned here get my vote. Also, best looking car to my eyes!

Last edited by Guru_GPS : 22nd January 2021 at 22:32. Reason: Typos
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:09   #23
BHPian

Well, it is the 330i for me. Having owned the E46 and now a E90, it’s a BMW all the way. However, if Tesla were to come to India with their sedan, then I would sure plonk for it.
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Voted for Mercedes C Class the interiors, fit and finish, plushness, overall this car feels like a 50lac car but if its a petrol it will be BMW 330i though i just don't like Beemer interiors.
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 08:45   #25
BHPian

Voted for the C Class. The lure of 3 pointed star. Super efficient and smooth engine I feel really stand out. Plus add to that the second hand value of the 3 pointed star is the highest.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I have voted for 330i. It’s easily the best car available at that price, drives great and even comfort is good too.

I’ve a 3 series with me for more than 6 years. It doesn’t have any reliability issues. In fact, the 3 series is more reliable than Ford, Hyundai and VW vehicles I own.
This is a very reassuring post. I do have my eyes on 3 series (and camary) as my next upgrade. Let's see which one feels better purchase at that time.
Old 1st February 2021, 19:55   #27
BHPian

Who's supposed to vote here?

Owners/users of cars in this segment?
or everyone on teamBHP?

I have a feeling that the perspectives change once we cross the 40L barrier. People like me who don't use cars like this might skew the results of this poll in favour of a car that might not be the best in the segment. Simply because we might not be familiar with the segment.
Old 7th December 2021, 15:59   #28

I can't vote any more but I'd have voted for the Volvo S60. I recently bought this after considering the BMW 330li, 330i and Mercedes C 200. I also looked at the Mercedes E200 and Audi A6 which are from a segment above. Here's why I chose the S60:

1. Beautiful cabin which puts you at ease as soon as you enter.
2. ADAS that actually works very well.
3. Outstanding build quality, with very high quality materials used all around.
4. Music quality that is heads and shoulders above its competitors (The BMW 330li also uses a Harman Kardon system, but the one in Volvo clearly sounds better)
5. Engaging enough for me to drive. I primarily seek relaxation from driving, but whenever I intend to go fast and do quick overtakes, I've never found it wanting.
5. Look amazing, and stands out in the crowd of German cars.
6. I chose this over the Mercedes E200 or the Audi A6 as the size of the S60 seems perfect for Bangalore roads. Anything above would be pushing it.
nirajr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 14:20   #29
BHPian

My favorite segment of cars so I'll summarize my opinions:

Primarily a rear seat passenger looking for comfort and luxury without the splurge? Get the Skoda Superb. Happy to splurge? Merc E Class

Primarily driving the car? 330i hands down.

Best of both worlds? Volvo S60
Old 20th June 2022, 11:28   #30

Returning NRI looking to buy a new car

Hi , I am a new member and this is my first post .

I have been 27 years in Dubai and Muscat and on attaining senior citizenship am returning back to India and to retire in Kochi by October this year.

I seek advice on buying a car . My previous cars have been Camry,Toyota Prado, Audi Q5 and Mercedes E300 in that order . I have always self driven but at least the first few months till I get a licence and the nerve to drive in India , will have to be chauffeur driven.

My requirement:

I am looking for a sedan in the 40-70 OTR lakhs bracket and I am looking for a rear seat comfort car that is easy to get in and out of for my large frame and creaky bones . I also in time look forward to taking the wheel myself and I do enjoy driving and normally explore the gadgetry the car has to offer .

My shortlists :

My shortlist are the following usual suspects :

1) Skoda Superb

I am impressed by the looks and all reviews seem so positive ! It definitely offers good value for money and has more features than some more expensive premium brands. I worry though that it is too large for city traffic and that it is a downgrade from the E300 that I drive currently. I am not sure of the dealer capability .

2) Volvo S60

I am blown by how good it looks and to me it is a car to rival the 3 Germans . I love the fact that it is so tech laden with safety such a priority . And in a small town intrusive metro like Kochi it would attract less attention than the Big 3 even though I am aware that Kerala is awash with luxury cars. But the low seats at the rear with poor ingress / egress is a major concern. Also the dealer network is sparse.

3) BMW 330 LI

I have to be honest and admit that snob value means something to me and that after Audi and Mercedes , a BMW closes the loop . In the autumn years of my life it would be nice to be in a luxurious car . However the car is without some of the features that cars at lower price offers like the ventilated seats and window blinds.

I would like to be convinced that 330 LI is the obvious choice but I cannot argue logically to myself that for city traffic , the driving pleasure that would be at least initially the chauffeur's and the badge , I should pay about Rs 25 L extra than a Superb . As my wife points out , that difference could finance a second car or a couple of overseas vacations travelling by business class though she leaves the final decision to me as she does not drive.

I would normally keep a car for the length of its extended warranty period .

Any thoughts, friends ? Also , would you advice that I wait for the facelift of these cars that are expected in the next 6 months ?

Thank you .
MZee is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks